• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should meteor smashes be restricted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxo

Smash Rookie
Whenever I play Brawl I almost always die against meteor smashes like Ganondorf's Dair and I wonder that in tournaments should meteor smashes be restricted because in my point of view meteor smashes are unfair or broken. What do you think?

NNID
Budget_Player
Better be trolling. Most meteor smashes in the game are fairly awful. The few exceptions are either hard to set up or easy to avoid or both. Furthermore, this is not really the topic for the debate hall. Either way, I recommend reading up on David Sirlin's work, and checking to see how often people get spiked in high-level play (hint: once in a blue moon, if that)

Cassio

Smash Master
Banning meteor smashes would be consistent with our other ruleset adjustments if enough people had issue with them.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
First things first, assuming you aren't trolling:
Meteor smashes won't be restricted because while they may seem powerful to you and your group of friends, they become a lot weaker at higher levels of play due to the use of different tactics to prevent or avoid them. We base our rules around high level play so players have a drive to improve, instead of limiting tactics that aren't broken in the first place.

LGL stands for Ledge-Grab Limit. It is a common rule that states that if a character grabs the edge more than x times and the timer runs out, they automatically lose. It was instated to help prevent a tactic called "Planking" where characters would grab the ledge over and over to avoid combat.

Loxo

Smash Rookie
I've people doing planking before over Wi-Fi.
And also, now that you say it I do sometimes play a bit lower level and call many tactics "cheap".

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Meteor smashes aren't good enough to be restricted. With higher levels of play, individuals will vary their recovery. (not always trying to recover from down low to grab the ledge up high - this tactic proves the usefulness of the meteor smash, if you can land it at all)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom