• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I use Fair to approach a grounded opponent?

Karmie

Smash Cadet
Well i'm deciding if it's best to use Fair to approach an opponent while they are grounded since the multi-hit wares down their shield, and you can DI away from them to avoid punishment.

However, due to lag and how much ya get out of a jump so that it doesn't cancel when you hit the ground, I am torn.

Any suggestions?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
To answer your question: yes you should.

To elaborate: Use fair to approach, but don't ONLY use fair to approach. Mix it up with bair, and the occasional dair. Even nair and uair can work. But fair and bair are the safest for approaching.

I suggest dair when the opponent is at higher % to combo into fsmash

And nair has bad reach, but it is lagless and comes out fast so if you use it properly it can be good. Especially when followed up with a jab or grab.

Beo

Smash Apprentice
I like to circle jump and mind game for Hammer hits :D

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Use f-air to approach as much as you like, as long as it's working. Just note that hitting a shield with F-air is inviting punishment, even if you pull back and attempt to land with an 'auto-cancel'.

It's up to your opponent to punish, though. If you've got an opponent who drops his shield after the first of three hits and takes damage from the F-air, you've got it easy. If you've got an opponent who keeps up the shield for all three hits but you pull away and don't get punished, that's nice. If you've got an opponent who punishes you out of shield each and every time, rethink using F-air in this way.

Look at the different ways of using F-airs. Short Hopped F-airs are good against taller characters, but leave you open afterward. Full Jumped F-airs are better against characters in the air due to its height, harder to hit grounded/small opponents, but don't leave as vulnerable afterward. Also look at which kick you're using, the first and second kick vary from the third which is stronger. Each kick can be used for a different tactic.

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I thought exactly of that first video when i saw this thread skell.

Anyway, yeah, use F-air for approaching, as B-air is one of your killing moves and should be saved until you want a kill. Keeping it fresh is well worth it in the end of a match, as spamming it at the beginning takes all the *umph* out of the move. Attack with F-air, tilts, and D-air and you should be fine. (Oh, dont forget grabs combos too!)

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
I will have to try what you said, t!mmy. I tend to shorthop-bair constantly as I play defensively. I just use that and shieldgrab, pretty much the whole game, then go for fmash out of combos for killing blows, or 2nd hammer after airdodge.

But, my approach could use some work, I will try that out in my games today.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
fair can be timed so that theres no lag when you land from a shorthop. but if you dont there is quite a bit of lag after wards. fair works as an approach vs chars that dont have projectiles that are cancelable. like samus missle, or even rob gyros, in these situations i would rather bair to be my tool. it stays out a good time and has good damage.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
F air is a very good move. I have to say that it has been one of my specialties since melee, although the extra lag at the end is a little troublesome at times and allows you to get punished much easier than in melee. Watch my videos and learn from them.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197180
There's nobody who uses the application of the f-air better than him. I learned how good that move really is after seeing him use it on me.
F-air is good, but if your up against an opponent that has projectiles or disjointed hitbox like Marth, use it less. F-air is very effective in Kirby dittos and any other characters that dont have spamming projectiles or disjointed hitboxes so make sure to wall of pain with it often in those situations like Skell does.

Foom

Smash Cadet
I agree with CaliburChamp. If you were to see Skell's videos you would see how good the Fair is. I really haven't seen any Kirby player that uses the Fair as good as he does.

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
oh of course... I wasn't saying all the time, it just seemed like nobody used the f hammer at all for ground breaking... maybe I just didnt read far enough back in this thread but its good to see that im not too far off..

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
I have practiced enough to use it as a ranged attack, even though the range could be considered close up... kirby is one of those few characters that I love taking risks with... the combos come more naturally because hes more like the kirby i played n64 smash with.. lol i loved n64

Top Bottom