• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Final Destination be a counter-pick stage ?

PinkPillow

Smash Rookie
I believe that Final Destination as a neutral stage hurts a lot of non S Tier characters because for most of them, this stage means a devastating chain grab that can simply make the match up 90-10 (hello Sheik), making it a counter-pick stage might help some low tier vs top tier match ups.

What do you guys think?

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Considering you can just strike it from neutrals and ban it from Bo3s...

No, making it a counterpick would change nothing.

Balancing characters should never be a consideration

This is just my idea, but I think BF should be the only starter stage. Like 75% (not an actual measurement) of the time, it's the 1st stage played on. Stage striking is a waste of time. The other 5 can be counter pick stages

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, Pikachu is non-S and FD helps his u-throw chaingrab on fastfallers. I know this is just one example of FD favoring a non-S character, but I just wanted to point that out.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Balancing characters should never be a consideration

This is just my idea, but I think BF should be the only starter stage. Like 75% (not an actual measurement) of the time, it's the 1st stage played on. Stage striking is a waste of time. The other 5 can be counter pick stages
Balancing characters is what the entire "neutral"/"counterpick" system is based on- making sure the first round goes to the most neutral stage.

If you think that system is bunk and we should strike from the full stage list, nothing wrong with that opinion, but if we stick with the pretense of "there is a neutral set of stages that we strike from", it's fine to discuss within the context of "what really makes a stage neutral, and is FD that?"

Rage NF

Smash Lord
NNID
RageNF
I believe that Final Destination as a neutral stage hurts a lot of non S Tier characters because for most of them, this stage means a devastating chain grab that can simply make the match up 90-10 (hello Sheik), making it a counter-pick stage might help some low tier vs top tier match ups.

What do you guys think?
HA! Greeting so who dare to speak bad thing into my forum who they think I am? HAHAHHA

No just kidding around like speaking as Evil Player

I dont think so because a lot of players like that stage and that stage is even available on Project M to me that stage has enough space to move around free and its good for serious matches and other things.

as for the chain grab in the next match you can either pick some thing like delfino plaza also cough pokemon stadium and two counter stage like cough cough bringstar and cough cough cough rainbow cruise.

hahhahaha I Dark Rage indeed truly a very Evil player hahhahaha

vZakat

Half Genie
Balancing characters is what the entire "neutral"/"counterpick" system is based on- making sure the first round goes to the most neutral stage.
That's not true at all. There used to be more counterpick stages for this very reason. Stages like brinstar, kongo 64, and mute city were legal because it helped out certain characters. But it ended up that those stages were free wins for some characters and that's a bit unfair. Also it meant if there are 2 stages that a character was good on then you would be forced to ban one and play on the other. The way things are now (especially with no bans in Bo5) forces you to learn how to use your character properly on all of the most neutral stages instead of trying to win with a gimmicky stage. If your character can't win on all the stages then there's a reason they are low tier.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Final Destination is very polarizing for certain match ups. I think FD should be CP imo.

Honestly, I'm in favor of BF only for neutral/game 1.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
We do have stage striking, you know! FD being a counter-pick stage is quite silly, since so many games strike to FD, which reveals that players want it to be neutral. If you don't want to face Marth on FD, then you can strike it! If FD were to ever become a counter-pick stage, I would most certainly have to rethink my whole life.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I've been an advocate of FD being a counter pick instead of PS for quite a long time. A stage with no platforms is more dissimilar to the rest of the group than a stage that has platform transformations. FD also ruins the stage strike balance for match-ups that have a chaingrab on only 1 side (eg, Marth vs Fox/Falco, Sheik vs Many Characters, Peach vs Fox/Falco/Falcon, etc). The characters on the receiving end of the chaingrab are forced to strike FD even if they would normally choose a stage with lots of room, which allows their opponent an advantage in the strike. You can see this at work in M2K vs Leffen from TBH4, they struck to FoD which favors Marth. If stadium was on the list instead of FD, the strike would return to be battlefield centric.

As for Battlefield only for game 1... I'm on the fence. I ask my opponent to agree to the stage most of the time, and even when we strike it usually ends up there. But there is still some player interaction, some mental work, that goes into the stage strike process. I think I would miss that interaction.

Top Bottom