• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shooting Aura Spheres in the dark (Desperate attempts to push the Lucario game along)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaper Neku

Smash Rookie
Alright so I've been maining Lucario since day one of Brawl. I've become a pretty good player (of course with a few bad habits) and an ok Lucario, although I feel that sometimes I don't use Lucario to his full potential. But anyways, as of late, I've been looking around the Lucario boards here and it seems that Lucario's metagame (and lack of one) hasn't made any progress. I mean I understand that figuring out matchups and stuff are very important, just as making good guides to help Lucario players of new and old. I actually owe most of my Lucario ability at brawl to the Inner Fire videos >.<. BUT back to the point.

Although I'm no pro brawler, I'm a Lucario mainer with ideas. Hopefully these idea will help Lucario's metagame, or at least get a big ball rolling. And if I'm mentioning anything that has been said before, sorry, but it never hurts to revise and double check when you have nothing else to go on lol.

Ok first off, pivot grab (Not metagame, but the MG idea builds up from here).

Now we all know that Lucario's grab range...well...blows hard to be frank. However, we all also know that Lucario's grabs are very helpful to winning. Now, I've been looking at this, using pivot grab as lucario can be very helpful. Before anyone casts judgment, lets hear it out first lol. Now, lets say you're on FD or SV. You have high damage, you're ahead a stock, and you're on the edge of the stage. You're opponent is kinda making it hard to move from the spot, even with you're long roll range. To make it worse, you have no aura sphere! Now you can try a BAS which would stop him for a sec if it lands. But everything else won't really help. You don't want to use a laggy move because if you miss, that could be the end of the aura power you had. But lets say he does a move that has a good amount of lag and you spot dodge (like they did an aerial and FF the landing and had landing lag). Unfortunately there's not enough time for fsmash (and they would be anticipating an attack so they shield up) nor charge an AS, and ftilt would only have the second part of it hit because of the distance (if they don't shield, in which they would be an idiot). But something that could work could work since you are so close is a pivot grab! Now the question can arise why pivot grab, in which I would answer this; the person is at a high percent like you. High percent + b throw = eh ok. HOWEVER, High percent + f throw = more knockback, better chance of killing, and more damage. Not saying this is a solid idea, but its something I feel can be discussed at the very least. Now this is actually something

I have tested myself and it works suprisingly well. (Against a Mario at around 126% for me and 108% for him) Thanks to the nice aura boost and their high damage it hurt my opponent pretty well. Although I didn't get the kill with F throw, I was able to follow up with a nice aura boosted u air when they tried to fast fall down back to the stage. Wouldn't have been able to do that with B throw since they would have been lower and able to recover easier. (Against a Kirby I was at around 136% and they were around 118%) The kirby was f air rushing me. He tried to shffair fast fall me, I spot dodge the last kick and then ran past him. By the time he landed, I could pivot grab and since the movement was so quick and minute, I guess he was thinking his F air would still hit or something, but when I grabbed him and fthrew him, his DI was something horrible and killed him right away. Now of course I realize all of this is something situational but maybe it is something we could look at, since Lucario does have a killer fthrow. (Both accounts happened on Smashville)

SECOND! Extreme Retreat? (Now, this the metagame game idea I had. Built up from the "what should I do in a pinch" situation).

Ok now this is a radical Idea I had one day. Lucario has a nice recovery, although for an up b move it blows lol. But I had a passing thought; Lucario is in the league of people who have the ability to have their Up B go in multiple directions (Fox, Wolf, Falco, Sheikah, Zelda). Now taking the spacies out because, dear God their Up B recovery kinda blows, that leaves us Sheikah and Zelda. Now if you think about Sheik and Zelda, both have nice uses for their Up B. Starting with Sheikah, she has the ability to run off the stage and do the floating up B to KO people if they are near the edge and get back. Also, the Sheikah player could chase after someone with Up B on the ground or in the air, and if it missed, allows them the ability to retreat, usually being unharmed. Now I think it would be interesting to look at this for Lucario. Indeed his Up B does no damage, it still shares similarities to Zelda's and Sheikah's Up B in which it allows you to change you're direction. Now going from that, perhaps we can go somewhere. I was looking at peoples' thoughts of the Up B bouncing but I have to say that its kinda eh. But back to my idea, say perhaps you are at high damage. You just got back on the stage and you're on the edge. Now lets say you're against an KO man Ike or anyone with a good KO move that takes up a good amount of vertical and/or horizontal space (which is why I pick ike for his U smash).

Now lets say that Ike is on the edge waiting for your next move. You can't use ledge attack because its too slow and if you miss well you could be in trouble. You can attempt to roll but then since it's so slow, that can end badly. So you're going down the list of things that do and don't make sense to do. You're left with just getting up and ledge jumping up (I leave out the aura sphere option and f air onto stage because aura sphere, unless charged, won't help that much, and it can leave you vulnerable, while the F air is only a viable option if he is right at the edge). Now you can try to get up on the ledge, possibly drop down and jump on stage to get rid of some lag or whatever, but then that puts you head to head against a heavy hitter like Ike, when you have high damage, at the edge of th stage. So you decide to ledge jump but not jump far onto the stage in fear of giving him time to catch on and F air you. This puts you above Ike, which isn't all that bad, nor all that good (all of this is assuming that he hasn't done something to kill you in the initial jump). Now that you are above Ike, but not much momentum, you just sorta drift downward, possibly moving left of right. Now Ike charges his U smash while you just start traveling down. Since you don't have much momentum, you are drifiting down in his hit range at this point. What do you do? Well you can jump again, which may help, assuming he doesn't release his smash, and stalk you from the stage, possibly with another U smash. Or maybe you do jump again and he doesn't catch on and you fast fall (which I can't imagine a decent brawler not realizing this...).

So when it comes to a decent brawler, what you are left with is trying to dodge the U smash as you drift down, which could maybe work, or maybe get you killed. You're d air could possibly stall you, maybe that would open something up, maybe not. Theres double team, but I'd rather take my chance Air dodging. So what do you do? Well I figure, Extreme speed the hell out of there? Since it is a bit of an odd tactic, gives you a second for you to aim where you want to go, and gtfo of that smash range. Why would I suggest this? Well we all know about the way the Extreme hog technique works, so you could use the Extreme retreat to get back to the edge and possibly try and make a better decision on how to proceed. OR, you could Extreme retreat out of the smash range on to the stage. This could work quite well seeing as how, unless the character is fast, you should be able to recover from the move, especially if you crash into the stage and bounce. From here you are now back in Lucario's home area and can go from there. I've tried this in a few friendlies against an Ike, (which is why I used this in the example) and it works suprisingly well with getting me out of the U smash range and into safety.

These are my ideas that I've had guys, please lets go from here and try to get somewhere together. I post it here on SWF because I am actually looking for creative and intelligent responses, not just flaming.

(Closing thought) is it possible to do a running pivot FP? I dont think so but it would be very helpful if we came up with some way to do something similar...

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
well to answer your final question.. yeah kinda. but its not anything special. on the other hand.. post here more often! we needz more lucario's more than ever.

Reaper Neku

Smash Rookie
Well what exactly is the pivot FP like? Meaning, is it really like a pivot, how does it work, and how do you execute it? I ask because I realized that with the pivot grab was helpful, but a pivot FP would be better in the since of being able to kill more likely with it and more range. I wish this topic would pick up. I really think that we could possibly pick something up from all of this, especially the Extreme Retreat. Why are the Lucario boards so dead people?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Have you actually tested the "Extreme Retreat"?

I feel that it has too much lag to use reliably, as well as put you in a disadvantage(over the edge.) Maybe I'm not reading.

And the Lucario boards are dead because the mods kicked the crap out of it...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Part of it is also because of the current ban MK issue taking up so much attention for right now, even the tier list discussion is quiet, and that's normally bustling with posts.
The other is a lot of people are either actually playing the game more than posting here, or playing a different game (ex. Blazblue).
I would say go for it for the "Extreme Retreat" as an occasional option "mindgame", but I wouldn't recommend it wholly as a reliable tactic against edge guarders. Having no hitbox while flying + noticeable start + end lag (when landing/bouncing at least) really hurts ES, especially the no hitbox property, as opponents who will use large edgeguarding capabilities (grenades, C4, ftilt, etc.) will hit you really badly, even unintentionally (try ESing into/through bowser usmash/fsmash/ftilt, it hurts >.<)

Reaper Neku

Smash Rookie
I personally have tested Extreme Retreat. Since it is nothing that has been perfect or really thought about and only done on a limb, I have to say that it works well if it is something that you do without spamming it (like most tactics). And if it is something that you disagree with, then we should discuss! Like everything good, it has to go through revision. After that, in the end maybe we can make something of good use! Now lets see, I realize that the ER should only be used at high percents when you need to avoid very dangerous close encounters, as opposed to lower percents when you could afford to take a hit here or there. Also, I think it would be a good idea against those who are slow. Maybe down the line I could make a lost of possible characters this could be used on. So perhaps this could be a situational metagame move? I used Ike because I think it should be something that would work well against someone as slow as him. But now that I think about it more, it could work well anyone will large laggy U smash. Let's say Bowser is charging his U smash waiting for you to come down; instead of jumping again which would be a clear sign of you changing direction which could lead to the Bowser changing tactics, you stay where you are, stall for a moment, (from my experience the other player doesn't catch on to what is going on since ES has a small lag and unless the person is expecting it (which could come from you overusing it) it should work in the occasional occurrences that you want to use it), you can land just outside of their hitbox and hopefully do the Up B bounce to get a quicker recover. As with all metagame, it should be something used everynow and then, or your opponent will catch on. Now lets discuss this.

Reaper Neku

Smash Rookie
Part of it is also because of the current ban MK issue taking up so much attention for right now, even the tier list discussion is quiet, and that's normally bustling with posts.
The other is a lot of people are either actually playing the game more than posting here, or playing a different game (ex. Blazblue).
I would say go for it for the "Extreme Retreat" as an occasional option "mindgame", but I wouldn't recommend it wholly as a reliable tactic against edge guarders. Having no hitbox while flying + noticeable start + end lag (when landing/bouncing at least) really hurts ES, especially the no hitbox property, as opponents who will use large edgeguarding capabilities (grenades, C4, ftilt, etc.) will hit you really badly, even unintentionally (try ESing into/through bowser usmash/fsmash/ftilt, it hurts >.<)
Yeah I understand what you mean. I don't think the start up lag is that noticeable unless you're opponent is like keying in on it and waiting to see it. As for reliable, I would say it definitely depends on the other character. Of course you don't want to risk doing it on a character with great aerial game. I realize that I might want to explain this a bit better, by saying curve around the move they are doing. I think the bouncing lag is better then the landing lag, in which bouncing would help you recover quicker, which would be pretty helpful, especially against large characters

The_Bear735

Smash Journeyman
why does every-****ing-one ruin TWEWY for me? Enough with your ****ty fanfics.

brb reading this tl;dr thread.

edit: everyone knows that pivot grabbing is useful, you're not posting anything new or interesting. Don't get full of yourself. Oh, and extreme retreat is the worst idea I've ever heard. Ever.

Reaper Neku

Smash Rookie
If you could explain your reasons for what actually relates to Lucario and not me, that would be more helpful to everyone.

The_Bear735

Smash Journeyman
I'm ashamed for you if you don't know why extreme speed is a generally useless move except for mind game recovering (easy to punish anyway). And I sufficiently explained pivot grabbing. I don't know what else you really need to know. Old news is old with some bad ideas tabbed on the side.

Reaper Neku

Smash Rookie
Well thank you for caring about me but I don't need it. And if you read the first post you would realize that I acknowledge Extreme speed as being not that good of a move. If you would have continued reading, you would have also realized that I am looking for potential in the move. If you want to say something, make sure you are saying something relevant. And the pivot grabbing was not something I needed explained but thank you anyone. Seeing as how we all should know what Pivot grabbing is. Now, if anyone would like to also speak about the idea it is welcomed. Rome was not built in a day. Just as much as we won't get far with Lucario unless with try all approaches. Also Bear, what were the previous conclusions made about ES on these boards?

The_Bear735

Smash Journeyman
well conclusions about ES are pretty much intuitive if you've used it at all. It has start up lag, it's got no usefulness offensively from a lack of hitboxes, it's easy to punish with a spike (even from marth lol), and it's generally just asking to get punished if you use it outside of recovering.

for the record, I tl;dr'd most of your post because it was mostly hypothetical and completely useless in game stuff that hasn't been tested enough to even be given a chance of consideration. Oh and you're extremely inexperienced from the few sentences I actually read. "IF YOU ARE RECOVERING FROM THE LEDGE IKE HAS YOUR **** OMG"

For the sake of argument, I'll go along with this. If we're going with that Ike situation, that's possibly the worst example I think you could've used to support a ledge hop ES being viable. If the Ike was going to use Usmash, you have two problems with this idea. First off, Lucario could easily just ledge recover (if at <100) and then eliminate any chance of getting punished because of its speed and range to eliminate any worry of a smash or tilt punish. A fair from Ike shouldn't worry you because in order for the fair to hit Lucario out of a ledge recovery, he'd have to jump at the moment where he'd still be hit by a <100 recovery, or even with a >100 if timed correctly. If you predict a counter or if you're >100, than you could just easily ledge hop to either a punish from Dair or fake him out with a second jump. Hell, if the Ike is really that aggressive, you could out predict him with DT, which is actually a great mind game. Secondly, ES would directly put Lucario into the hitbox of the Usmash, Fair, or what have you, basically pulling a "hey hit me out of something with no damage frames or super frames!!". Lucario has much more options that are better, so doing ES when it's not necessary is usually just a "what's the point" situation.

Reaper Neku

Smash Rookie
"IF YOU ARE RECOVERING FROM THE LEDGE IKE HAS YOUR **** OMG"
No idea where that came from.

"(if at <100) "
Clearly stated at high percents so that gets rid of most of what you said.

"A fair from Ike shouldn't worry you because in order for the fair to hit Lucario out of a ledge recovery, he'd have to jump at the moment where he'd still be hit by a <100 recovery, or even with a >100 if timed correctly."
Clearly stated the situation was maneuvering around a charging Usmash so idk where this came from. Read please.

"predict him with DT, which is actually a great mind game."
I mentioned this in my first post, read please. Also, since DT slows you're movement, if you don't compensate for that while floating down to the Ike with Usmash, you will use it too soon, miss the counter frames, and then be stuck with the rest of the animation which, oh wait, leaves you incredibly open for the Usmash you didn't counter! But I'll throw you a bone here, since it is also what I gave as a possibility, but with much risk.

How about this I'll walk you through this, since it is going to be a pain discussing this if you don't know what I am talking about really.

" if you miss, that could be the end of the aura power you had."

A key point of what I mentioned early. Every good Lucario knows that when you hit high percent, it is important to use safe moves instead of trying to string things together. We still on the same page? I hope so cause it all continues from here.

"Ok now this is a radical Idea I had one day. Lucario has a nice recovery, although for an up b move it blows lol."

We still on the same page? We both realizing Up B is not that good? Alright moving on.

"Now lets say you're against an KO man Ike or anyone with a good KO move that takes up a good amount of vertical and/or horizontal space (which is why I pick ike for his U smash)."

Ok hopefully you know why I choose Ike. Let's take a moment to recollect here. First, you are at high percent. Secondly, you want to hold onto the aura boost you have, so you can be able to hand out more damage to your enemy. Thirdly, Ike's U smash is a very dangerous move, but also a bit laggy and slow. NOW, if you are still following, The fact that Ike's sword is a disjointed hitbox, none of your moves from the edge can breach it. Maybe shoot a BAS but with the time it takes for you to float back to the ledge, the only thing being accomplished is a few more damage%'s. Which is good since in brawl, every % matters. However, it doesn't do much in the way of bettering your situation. Now, what is there to do? Can't f air. Maybe fp flame back on the stage, but that move is just as laggy as Ike's usmash. Get back up on the stage? That could work if he is not that close. So you can jump without crossing over Ike's usmash range, but once you get there, what is there to do? Float down and try to airdodge? Might work. Jump again? Maybe, gets you farther on the stage, but the moment you jump again, if Ike was charging Usmash, a smart player won't continue charging usmash by the ledge hoping you'd come back. So they'll move to under where you went and charge Usmash again. The only problem is that this time, you have no second jump to help you out of the jam. So you could have either airdodged earlier, maybe it would work, or maybe you would have risked your aura for nothing. Or maybe you jumped and find yourself in another in another situation.

Now we are back to the idea of Extreme Retreat. If ike is under you, it would be wise to D air dribble back onto the stage. And that is his only way of dealing with attacks on stage. So, from this spot, taking ER out of the equation, what would you do? You're stuck with hoping to airdodge the usmash again. With Extreme Retreat, indeed it has noticeable start up lag (which lasts almost as long as Ike's Usmash), it allows you to maneuver out of the danger area, you know since Extreme speed can be curved . Now, what happens from there is entirely unknown. Since Ike is a bit slow you may be hit with a DA or a grab, but you won't die, which is much better than facing Usmash.

Now in no means am I suggesting something like this against someone like Fox or DK or Snake, but this is just something I would suggest, and at the moment, using Ike as an example. If we could all see some viability from there, perhaps it can be branched out, but it has to be thought about before being shot down. But now it is something I think should be looked at as situationally viable.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You can't cape ES during the start-up.

That alone is potential. A **** character can't gimp you.

Reaper Neku

Smash Rookie
You can't cape ES during the start-up.

That alone is potential. A **** character can't gimp you.
That also is good. Perhaps very helpful. Thank you for that contribution lol.

PS nice Hobbes pic lol.

We need more Lucarios here to give their feedback!

The_Bear735

Smash Journeyman
ugh I don't feel like responding this late but I can tell you give me a massive ****ing headache, I'll edit in a response tomorrow.

btw, high percents =/= <100 all the time. You should've clarified, because I don't buy the fact that you just suck too much at clarification to have excused your obvious inexperience with ledge recovering.

Reaper Neku

Smash Rookie
ugh I don't feel like responding this late but I can tell you give me a massive ****ing headache, I'll edit in a response tomorrow.

btw, high percents =/= <100 all the time. You should've clarified, because I don't buy the fact that you just suck too much at clarification to have excused your obvious inexperience with ledge recovering.
I'm sorry that your lack of ability to read posts correctly and me having to correct you gives you a headache. And yet again I'm not exactly sure why you are talking about me and not the viability of the move. Try and focus. Also my level of skill or experience with ledge recovery was not mentioned besides me saying I'm not a pro. There's a lot in between. When you edit I would like to see what you come up with. Hopefully it can push this along.

The_Bear735

Smash Journeyman
No idea where that came from.
ugh. Learn2paraphrasewithslightexaggeration

Clearly stated at high percents so that gets rid of most of what you said.
I already said this, but: high percents =/= <100 all the time. You should've clarified, because I don't buy the fact that you just suck too much at clarification to have excused your obvious inexperience with ledge recovering.

Clearly stated the situation was maneuvering around a charging Usmash so idk where this came from. Read please.
Are you stupid? I was just going through all the options Ike has to follow with this hypothetical you were using. Usmash was an already ****ty example for an ES approach, though, so I have no idea why you wouldn't want a hypothetical where Ike uses another move. Usmash is easy to punish from the ledge with Lucario, and ES'ing into it is pretty stupid, even for a nub. Try not to throw opportunities for your opponent to KO you, it might be a bad thing, but idk fer shure.

I mentioned this in my first post, read please. Also, since DT slows you're movement, if you don't compensate for that while floating down to the Ike with Usmash, you will use it too soon, miss the counter frames, and then be stuck with the rest of the animation which, oh wait, leaves you incredibly open for the Usmash you didn't counter! But I'll throw you a bone here, since it is also what I gave as a possibility, but with much risk.
Again, are you ****ing stupid? Air dodging a Usmash? Have you ever ****ing played any Ikes and tried this? At all? Why do you try to talk like you're so experienced with Lucario when it's obvious you're not? And you've obviously never heard of, oh idk, maybe FAST FALLING. This is so basic and you're so stupid that I want to destroy this forum. And no, you're not throwing me a bone. I am right, and you are horribly stupid and wrong as well.

How about this I'll walk you through this, since it is going to be a pain discussing this if you don't know what I am talking about really.

Do you think I'm twelve or something? OH GEE I THINK IF LUCARIO DIES HE MIGHT NOT HAVE AN AURA BOOST ANYMORE OH NO WHAT DO I DO I HAVE NEVER PLAYED THE SMASH BROTHERS GAME OH NO

A key point of what I mentioned early. Every good Lucario knows that when you hit high percent, it is important to use safe moves instead of trying to string things together. We still on the same page? I hope so cause it all continues from here.
And here's another problem with your logic. DT isn't just a "7% chance of hitting omg" move. If you knew anything about using it well, it's actually somewhat useful if you can read your opponent. I don't at all advertise using it constantly or even if you think you have a read, but mainly just for when you think you can surprise and maybe even lead into a follow up. And again, stop talking to me like I haven't played this game more than you, because,
I have and you're an inexperienced nub and general idiot.

"Ok now this is a radical Idea I had one day. Lucario has a nice recovery, although for an up b move it blows lol."

We still on the same page? We both realizing Up B is not that good? Alright moving on.
No, we're not. You're still refusing to acknowledge that you shouldn't even be using ES unless it's necessary, something I said from my first post, moron.

"Now lets say you're against an KO man Ike or anyone with a good KO move that takes up a good amount of vertical and/or horizontal space (which is why I pick ike for his U smash)."

Ok hopefully you know why I choose Ike. Let's take a moment to recollect here. First, you are at high percent. God you are dense. Ike can still be outspaced. Your example is poor. Go with someone like Snake, who actually would require more than just some spamp. Secondly, you want to hold onto the aura boost you have, so you can be able to hand out more damage to your enemy. You're insultingly underestimating of me. Thirdly, Ike's U smash is a very dangerous move, but also a bit laggy and slow. This actually deters your own point, so it's beyond me why you think I haven't said this or actually used this against you. What does this even do for your own side? Nothing. Learn debating plz NOW, if you are still following, The fact that Ike's sword is a disjointed hitbox, LOL NO, Ike's hitboxes aren't that disjointed at all. none of your moves from the edge can breach it. Quit posting if you're not good enough with Lucario. If you can't come back from the ledge vs. ****ing IKE, then you are horrible at this game. He doesn't even pose much of a threat to begin with if you actually know how to use Lucario efficiently or even if you just know how Ike plays. And you obviously have never used the ledge recovery >100, because it's not as terrible as you love to persist it is. Lucario is hard to hit out of it, and generally has a hitbox that is disjointed in range. Speed actually is what helps Lucario here, because it's deceiving. You lost even more credibility with that statement. Have fun with being a scrub. Maybe shoot a BAS but with the time it takes for you to float back to the ledge, the only thing being accomplished is a few more damage%'s. Which is good since in brawl, every % matters. However, it doesn't do much in the way of bettering your situation. Uh, actually it does. AS causes KNOCKBACK, meaning you could possible RECOVER back from the ledge with a JUMP. If you're going to hypothetical, at least look at all the options while you do so, nub. Now, what is there to do? Can't f air. Maybe fp flame back on the stage, but that move is just as laggy as Ike's usmash. Get back up on the stage? That could work if he is not that close. So you can jump without crossing over Ike's usmash range, but once you get there, what is there to do? Float down and try to airdodge? Might work. No it won't you scrub. God stop speaking when you're this uninformed. You could just spam Dair if you predict a Usmash, or something basic like that. This isn't a hard ****ing concept; avoiding Ike's usmash is something that isn't difficult. Hell, avoiding moves from the ledge in general isn't a large problem with Lucario, so stop promoting this useless "ES onstage!!!!!!" idea. It's not going to help, and it's so ****ing ridiculously punishable that if you've actually played a good player offline and tried that, you'd realize what I mean. Stop posting and being such a large scrub nub at the same time, you're causing stupid at a dangerous rate. Jump again? Maybe, gets you farther on the stage, but the moment you jump again, if Ike was charging Usmash, a smart player won't continue charging usmash by the ledge hoping you'd come back. So they'll move to under where you went and charge Usmash again. Get out, just get out. You haven't even begun to understand that Brawl engine if you really think this would happen at any level of play besides horrible.The only problem is that this time, you have no second jump to help you out of the jam. BUT YOU HAVE A ****ING BACK AIR ATTACK UGH. Stop using hypotheticals into only your horribly stupid idea. There are more and better options than the ones you're acknowledging! You're almost painfully inexperienced. So you could have either airdodged earlier, maybe it would work, or maybe you would have risked your aura for nothing. Or maybe you jumped and find yourself in another in another situation. That was so stupid I literally cannot even think of anything to say to that. "You might get out of a problem but then you'd have something else to do so that option's ****ed".

Now we are back to the idea of Extreme Retreat. If ike is under you, it would be wise to D air dribble back onto the stage. And that is his only way of dealing with attacks on stage. No it isn't. You actually mean that it's the only way of dealing with his attacks that you're choosing to acknowledge. If Lucario was this limited when it came to ledge recovering and even aerials, he wouldn't be top of mid tier. So, from this spot, taking ER out of the equation, what would you do? You're stuck with hoping to airdodge the usmash again. I've said it too many times, but god you're inexperienced and just stupid so I'll say it again. AD'ing does not ****ing work when avoiding a Usmash.With Extreme Retreat, indeed it has noticeable start up lag (which lasts almost as long as Ike's Usmash), DOESN'T THAT MEAN YOU'LL GET HIT?! If you're ****ing trying to do ES past him, then you'll still get hit! Oh my ****! Could you BE any more moronic?! it allows you to maneuver out of the danger area, you know since Extreme speed can be curved . You'll go into the AIR if you curve it though! Have you even played Ikes at all? That's just ****ing SH Bair bait, which is almost as bad as Usmash! You're infuriatingly dumb. Now, what happens from there is entirely unknown. Since Ike is a bit slow you may be hit with a DA or a grab, but you won't die, which is much better than facing Usmash. Are you really that stupid? If Ike can grab you out of that, he can Ftilt, Jab, hell even Utilt, Dsmash, reverse Fair, and generally anything you can imagine. If he has a large enough window to grab you, then my point remains on how horrible this idea is.

Now in no means am I suggesting something like this against someone like Fox or DK or Snake, but this is just something I would suggest, and at the moment, using Ike as an example. But we don't have any problems with Ike! Ike gets ***** by Lucario because actually can't control the air like Lucario can. ES retreating is just not a good idea anyway, and I've already posted why. If we could all see some viability from there, stop being so satisfied with finding a useless approach perhaps it can be branched out, but it has to be thought about before being shot down. But now it is something I think should be looked at as situationally viable.But it's not. It's not ****ing viable. Get out, just get out. Stop posting here. Don't even respond to this. I know for a fact that you haven't done anything in terms of offline experience but probably ****** around in training mode or something like that, and you probably don't even have any experience in general. Just learn Lucario for your ****ing self, and get out. Get better, or don't post. Simple as that.

btw, you gave me a headache because I knew how ****ing stupid your entire post would be. You're just a moron who's so busy riding himself he can't even understand how scrubby and nubby he is. My point of you not being good is that you're not good. It's intuitive as to why this shoots your credibility. Lastly, " I actually owe most of my Lucario ability at brawl to the Inner Fire videos
just ruins whatever chance you had at posting here with a face that doesn't make me go "lol FO' CEREAL?".

I can have angre.

Reaper Neku

Smash Rookie
Well first off kudos for learning on how to read and quoting me. Better than you just rambling. Makes it easier to discuss so thank you.

First off, for the high percents part, I already stated my position on that so move on. I'm not going to debate what high percent is.

"Why do you try to talk like you're so experienced with Lucario when it's obvious you're not?"

Because I am experienced?

Secondly, I still love how you focus on me, AND NOT THE SITUATION. If you spent less time calling people stupid we might have gotten somewhere by now. I gotta say though its becoming obvious why the Lucario metagame is getting nowhere and why these boards are dead. Indeed the mods might have destroyed the way the things were done, but if the people here act like you then well, kinda not that hard to see why not much has been done.

But I'm taking my own advice and im not going to talk about someone I don't know **** about, nor really care much about.

"Clearly stated the situation was maneuvering around a charging Usmash so idk where this came from. Read please.
Are you stupid? I was just going through all the options Ike has to follow with this hypothetical you were using. "

Don't list all the situations if I started with one and was trying to go from there. If I asked you for change for a dollar in 4 quarters, don't tell me I could get 20 nickels, 10 dimes, or 100 pennies. Wastes time. Maybe after we get somewhere, yeah of course we could switch, but don't jump around. Jeez.

Also, I still like how you probably haven't actually read and thought about what I read so far. But to make things easy for you, I'm going to state the scenario. The scenario is NOT deciding to use a ledge attack. The scenario is NOT trying to punish. The scenario IS if you decide to jump. There I threw you another bone. Hopefully you'll follow along again. Don't know how you keep getting derailed here. Not good.

"And you've obviously never heard of, oh idk, maybe FAST FALLING."

Fast falling...so, you ledge jump...Ike charges up smash waiting to release it the moment you come into range...and you just want to fast fall down to him...and thats it...-claps- You sir, are the shining example of how to play Lucario, or any character at that! Pat yourself on the back! You earned it.

Do you think I'm twelve or something? OH GEE I THINK IF LUCARIO DIES HE MIGHT NOT HAVE AN AURA BOOST ANYMORE OH NO WHAT DO I DO I HAVE NEVER PLAYED THE SMASH BROTHERS GAME OH NO

OMG wait, maybe he gets it? Maybe there is hope?!

"We still on the same page? We both realizing Up B is not that good? Alright moving on.
No, we're not. You're still refusing to acknowledge that you shouldn't even be using ES unless it's necessary, something I said from my first post, moron."

Nope false alarm he got lost...you got my hopes up man. Read MY first post. I clearly answer all of these things you say but you keep going back to it.

"Ok hopefully you know why I choose Ike. Let's take a moment to recollect here. First, you are at high percent. God you are dense. Ike can still be outspaced. Your example is poor. Go with someone like Snake, who actually would require more than just some spamp."

No idea what this has to do with anything...in brawl anything could happen and the way you talk you make it seem like you can't be caught in a close game by Ike. But maybe you have so much skill, that you just can't be touched by anyone. In that case, its odd that I haven't heard about you yet...

"And here's another problem with your logic. DT isn't just a "7% chance of hitting omg" move."

Lolwut? Where did that come from? On second thought. Don't explain. Doesn't relate to the topic.

"If you knew anything about using it well, it's actually somewhat useful if you can read your opponent. I don't at all advertise using it constantly or even if you think you have a read, but mainly just for when you think you can surprise and maybe even lead into a follow up. And again, stop talking to me like I haven't played this game more than you, because, I have and you're an inexperienced nub and general idiot."

Alright there's so much wrong here it burns. "it's actually somewhat useful if you can read your opponent. I don't at all advertise using it constantly or even if you think you have a read," ...I'm sorry but I think you just contradicted yourself. It is useful you can read your opponent, but I don't advertise using it constantly even if you think you have a read...umm organize what you want to say first before you end up saying things like this.

"but mainly just for when you think you can surprise and maybe even lead into a follow"

I didn't know when you are at a high damage you would want to do something that could backfire or HOPEFULLY surprise your opponent. Cause when I am in risk of dying, I definitely want to go with a move that leaves me open if I mess up. OH! By the way, did you know that even if DT is activated, there's still a chance the counter won't hit? OMGwtf wow that could be kind of risky.

"Secondly, you want to hold onto the aura boost you have, so you can be able to hand out more damage to your enemy."
" You're insultingly underestimating of me."

Nah I think I'm about right. You seem to ride on yourself a lot, but it doesn't seem like you know that much really.

I know how to use DT well. I know how to use all of Lucario's moves well. The problem is that you are stuck on NOT paying attention.

"Thirdly, Ike's U smash is a very dangerous move, but also a bit laggy and slow. This actually deters your own point, so it's beyond me why you think I haven't said this or actually used this against you. What does this even do for your own side? Nothing. Learn debating plz"

Well if you were smart and knew your stuff, you would know that the U smash is laggy near the end. Meaning, if you are floating down to a charging U smash, I don't think you have to worry about the ending lag that much, seeing as how the move hasn't started yet. Learn to think plz.

"LOL NO, Ike's hitboxes aren't that disjointed at all. "

LOL NO, Ike's sword for U smash is pretty disjointed.

" If you can't come back from the ledge vs. ****ing IKE, then you are horrible at this game. He doesn't even pose much of a threat to begin with if you actually know how to use Lucario efficiently or even if you just know how Ike plays."

Good sir, this goes up there with one of the stupidest things I've read. I would continue but, after reading that, there is literally no point. Your lack of knowledge shines so brightly, it lights up the night sky. I may not be a pro but man I am definitely positive I am better than you now. I'm done discussing this with you, just over that. I want this to go in the right direction, but you just aren't being that intelligent. Sorry.

SuperSmashKing009

Smash Ace
NNID
SSK009
3DS FC
0404-7569-9294
thats all Bear does man. He has no respect for anyone. Hey don't worry he is still a child. He hasn't learned how to ride a bicycle yet.

The_Bear735

Smash Journeyman
Well first off kudos for learning on how to read and quoting me. Better than you just rambling. Makes it easier to discuss so thank you.
If you're going to ad hominem, at least make it relevant.

Because I am experienced?
That's a funny joke, because you're posting and being a general scrub.

Secondly, I still love how you focus on me, AND NOT THE SITUATION. If you spent less time calling people stupid we might have gotten somewhere by now. but I've already explained what you should do in a given Ike circumstance and that your idea is horrible. I just started making fun of your stupidity because I got tired of getting ignored when I'm right. but, just for ****s and giggles, here's what I've already said:

For the sake of argument, I'll go along with this. If we're going with that Ike situation, that's possibly the worst example I think you could've used to support a ledge hop ES being viable. If the Ike was going to use Usmash, you have two problems with this idea. First off, Lucario could easily just ledge recover (if at <100) and then eliminate any chance of getting punished because of its speed and range to eliminate any worry of a smash or tilt punish. A fair from Ike shouldn't worry you because in order for the fair to hit Lucario out of a ledge recovery, he'd have to jump at the moment where he'd still be hit by a <100 recovery, or even with a >100 if timed correctly. If you predict a counter or if you're >100, than you could just easily ledge hop to either a punish from Dair or fake him out with a second jump. Hell, if the Ike is really that aggressive, you could out predict him with DT, which is actually a great mind game. Secondly, ES would directly put Lucario into the hitbox of the Usmash, Fair, or what have you, basically pulling a "hey hit me out of something with no damage frames or super frames!!". Lucario has much more options that are better, so doing ES when it's not necessary is usually just a "what's the point" situation.
You still haven't properly contented this other than saying "omfg i said high percents nub", so I don't see why I should bother with you if you're still refusing to respond to my actual objective response to you.

I gotta say though its becoming obvious why the Lucario metagame is getting nowhere and why these boards are dead. Indeed the mods might have destroyed the way the things were done, but if the people here act like you then well, kinda not that hard to see why not much has been done.
that's funny all the top Lucario players agree that this is a horrible forum full of stupid people like you, and even Zucco lol'd hard at you in this thread. All you have is some fangirl who said I don't know what I'm talking about. If we're going to get into a pissing contest about which side the community is on, you've already lost.

But I'm taking my own advice and im not going to talk about someone I don't know **** about, nor really care much about.
you just did. You're really bad at this whole "I'm not gonna say **** even though I did say **** so now I'm saying I won't say **** to look like I'm cool and holier than him (thou)".

Don't list all the situations if I started with one and was trying to go from there. Way to pull a "you can't do something that helps your argument even if I'm doing it to my argument!!!". If I asked you for change for a dollar in 4 quarters, don't tell me I could get 20 nickels, 10 dimes, or 100 pennies. Wastes time. No, you're forgetting the fact that you're choosing the harder, more punishable route for getting around a Usmash. That's not four ****ing quarters, and you're just manipulating a metaphor in a biased way to make your argument seem better, when in actuality, it's probably around the 20 nickels or 100 pennies area. Maybe after we get somewhere, yeah of course we could switch, but don't jump around. Jeez. god can you read? I'm proving that there are better options to your horrible ES idea, and you STILL have refused to disprove what I'm saying about them. You haven't once said "oh well doing this aerial to recover is a bad idea es is safer" or something like that. You're just saying that it's pointless to discuss better options. Way to be a horrible debater, scrub.

Also, I still like how you probably haven't actually read and thought about what I read so far. But to make things easy for you, I'm going to state the scenario. The scenario is NOT deciding to use a ledge attack. because there's absolutely something horribly wrong with using a ledge attack to recover? Why set up your scenario like this with no good reason? TO better suit your bad idea? That's not how hypotheticals work; you can't just cross out better options when they're clearly available to make your choice seem logical; that's illogical. In this way, you could actually prove that something bad is better than it is because you got rid of something that is obviously better. If you want your point to stand, you cannot just eliminate options that could easily out rank your supposed idea. That is not how hypothetical situations are used to prove (for sake of simplicity) approaches or ideas in Brawl. The scenario is NOT trying to punish. ....but why try to escape if you can already punish? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Get free damage and a recovery or risk getting hit for a recovery that you could get the safer way? Illogical hypothetical, like I already explained. The scenario IS if you decide to jump. jump to dair punish. There's your problem explained with an easy punish. The Ike is gonna try to punish your FastFall down with a Usmash? Punish with Bair. There I threw you another bone. Quit this horrible metaphor, you Marowak cosplayer. I all actuality, I've been tossing you givens for too long now, and it's stupid of you to think that you've been spear-heading the direciton of this debate. Hopefully you'll follow along again. Don't know how you keep getting derailed here. Not good. You're the one who's been scarecrowing away from my main point that ES isn't safe compared to all of Lucario's other options.

Fast falling...so, you ledge jump...Ike charges up smash waiting to release it the moment you come into range...and you just want to fast fall down to him...and thats it...-claps- You sir, are the shining example of how to play Lucario, or any character at that! Pat yourself on the back! You earned it. You quoted me out of context, cgs? I said Fast Falling after you mentioned that DT would slow you down and then make Lucario vulnerable for the after lag, not just to FF into a Usmash directly. You're grasping so hard at this point it's a little pathetic. You're the one who mentioned that Lucario went slow in the air when using DT, so either you're just a ****ing moron who doesn't know what debating truly is, or you're just blatantly trying to make me be demonized with out of context quotes and thereby ad homineming instead of actually refuting. You can't get **** past me, moron.

OMG wait, maybe he gets it? Maybe there is hope?!
This is just silly, because you're directly contradicting what you said a few lines above this. You're not even trying anymore.

Nope false alarm he got lost...you got my hopes up man. Read MY first post. I clearly answer all of these things you say but you keep going back to it.
No you didn't, and no you didn't. You never explain why any of the things I mentioned were not logically useful compared to a ES retreat, other than eliminating my ledge recoveries choice in a very illogical and trivial way that was a blatant excuse for not being able to refute that point in itself.

No idea what this has to do with anything...in brawl anything could happen and the way you talk you make it seem like you can't be caught in a close game by Ike. But maybe you have so much skill, that you just can't be touched by anyone. In that case, its odd that I haven't heard about you yet...
I guess I should've clarified and said that Ike should never put you into a hard spot if you play in a smart way. Hypotheticals are fine and dandy if they're actually applicable or relevant, which is easily questionable with Ike. He's underused, easy to predict, and easy to get hits on from Lucario's hitboxes. I was suggesting Snake actually to help you, because you might've somehow been able to prove that ES retreating could work. If you weren't so stupid you probably could've found a hypothetical that is actually somewhat possible in normal gameplay that would support your argument, but whatever. You apparently wanted to **** on that idea, which is basically hurting yourself in this debate.

btw, I'll take you up on this pissing contest. I got fourth in my pool for Genesis, which is actually good and almost made it into the bracket (and actually I could've had I stayed around for the third day). What have you done, besides make this thread and watch Inner Fire? Let's compare these results, and then see whether or not you truly shoot yourself in the foot with "I'VE NEVER HEARD OF YOU U SUK LOLOLO", sarcastic point or not.

Lolwut? Where did that come from? On second thought. Don't explain. Doesn't relate to the topic.
Again, learn2paraphrasewithslightexaggeration. You basically claimed it to be unsafe and unpractical (loose paraphrase), and I was claiming that you're wrong.

Alright there's so much wrong here it burns. "it's actually somewhat useful if you can read your opponent. I don't at all advertise using it constantly or even if you think you have a read," ...I'm sorry but I think you just contradicted yourself. It is useful you can read your opponent, but I don't advertise using it constantly even if you think you have a read...umm organize what you want to say first before you end up saying things like this.
Dumb face, I didn't contradict myself. If you knew how to read, you'd actually realize that I'm saying it's useful when you have a read on your opponent, but it's not a safe move entirely and you should only use it when you do think you have that read. It's not a contradiction, I basically just said: "Use it lightly, but use it well". I hate arguing with people like you who think you can read.

I didn't know when you are at a high damage you would want to do something that could backfire or HOPEFULLY surprise your opponent. Cause when I am in risk of dying, I definitely want to go with a move that leaves me open if I mess up. OH! By the way, did you know that even if DT is activated, there's still a chance the counter won't hit? OMGwtf wow that could be kind of risky.
If you'll notice, I SAID that it wasn't a safe move and that you should only use it when you think you have the read in my previous post. And if you mess up DT, that's your own fault. FF DT isn't a hard thing to pull off by any stretch of the imagination, the counter will only not happen in that hypothetical of the Ike Usmash if you don't FF it, and you're just whining about not being able to use it efficiently. Cry more.

Nah I think I'm about right. You seem to ride on yourself a lot, but it doesn't seem like you know that much really.
Stop stealing my arguments on your character. I was the one who was calling you the pretentious little scrub, and you're just doing a "NOU BAAAAAAAAW WWWWWWAAAAAAAH" right now. It's really a little sad.

I know how to use DT well. I know how to use all of Lucario's moves well. The problem is that you are stuck on NOT paying attention.
I can't honestly believe that you know DT well from what you've posted. From what I read, you can't FF DT for the life of you, and you don't even know where the hitbox for the counter begins and ends. You don't sound credible on DT, so don't pretend to me that you are.

Well if you were smart and knew your stuff, you would know that the U smash is laggy near the end. Meaning, if you are floating down to a charging U smash, I don't think you have to worry about the ending lag that much, seeing as how the move hasn't started yet. Learn to think plz.
But that's not what I was saying, you dumb moron. I was saying that if it's laggy and slow, why would you have that much trouble avoiding or punishing it? You, yet again, shot yourself in the foot with this point because you're missing the picture. If a smash is laggy and slow, the after lag of ES makes it punishable with the fact that the smash is slow. And, from the original post, you were starting from the point of being on the ledge, and I can even quote you to prove this. "none of your moves from the edge can breach it. " comes right after "NOW" which is right after "Thirdly". Stop trying to play me for a fool. You can't just switch vantage points whenever it pleases you. I was speaking from the reference of being on the ledge, because that is the vantage point you established. It's just stupid if you think that you can change this and try to find flaw in my argument when it was for another situation entirely. If Ike's Usmash is laggy and slow, then you can ledge recovery punish it easy sauce. That's my point, and you keep trying to get around it with stupid tricks that don't get by me. Learn2smart, kid. You've got a long way to go before you can even hope to disprove me.

"LOL NO, Ike's hitboxes aren't that disjointed at all. "

LOL NO, Ike's sword for U smash is pretty disjointed.
Actually, it is not. The hitbox is obvious in itself: the sword, including the tip of it, will hit for damage hitboxes. The only real problem with Usmash in this case is that you might not know that it will hit you if you are on the ledge without invincibility frames, which is the only real "disjointed" quality about it, which isn't even disjointed in the first place. Otherwise, the smash itself is basic and self explanatory in terms of hitbox. Pray tell, what makes it so disjointed? You make a lot of statements and assumptions without properly explaining or supporting them, so I'd like to hear this one, sincerely.

" If you can't come back from the ledge vs. ****ing IKE, then you are horrible at this game. He doesn't even pose much of a threat to begin with if you actually know how to use Lucario efficiently or even if you just know how Ike plays."

Good sir, this goes up there with one of the stupidest things I've read. I would continue but, after reading that, there is literally no point. Your lack of knowledge shines so brightly, it lights up the night sky. I may not be a pro but man I am definitely positive I am better than you now. I'm done discussing this with you, just over that. I want this to go in the right direction, but you just aren't being that intelligent. Sorry.
All I read was "I'm trying to be funny and clever so that I can avoid having to respond to this and the rest of his post". And lol @ being positive that you're better than me. I never claimed to be better, but just that you are a scrub who is moronic. Being better or worse than you does nothing to refute this point. And if you really want to stick to this "omg I'm better thn u", we could always just settle this on wifi, as horrible as it is. I don't really care either way though.

Btw, if you're going to respond (which you won't), post a video showing your ES retreat used in a real Brawl vs. an Ike that isn't mediocre or just a local one that isn't good. You could easily just shut me up if you found some solid support from in game usage, which I doubt will happen but it's just a challenge. I'd love to see you do this without getting punish largely for it by a good Ike.

lol @ smashw/e. "No respect"? First of all, internet = irl amirite. Secondly, he has shown about as much respect as me, give or take depending on subjectivity, so stop double standard'ing in his defense.

Reaper Neku

Smash Rookie
Alright so does anyone else have anything to say on the matter? I think it is pretty interesting but definitely would be something that would need to be looked at in order to see its viability. Maybe we could see what situations this would actually work in first? Now that other people have actually come I don't need to have pre-school time and walk bear through everything I've typed and explain it to him multiple times. Good idea? Bad idea? why?

The_Bear735

Smash Journeyman
I'd still like you to prove me wrong with a video if you refuse to absolutely prove me wrong in text. I WISH YOU'D LOVE ME LIKE I LOVE YOU :(

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
I was Lol'ing so much the entire argument... then Xavant came for the K.O

seriously reaper, although i would probably never have put it the way bear said it. he is quite right on a certain number of things. like for example, if ike Upsmashes, why the hell jump? just dair before he even lifts the thing known as his sword. . it also beats his Utilt so why bother jumping?

2nd. your situation for ER was really lol. Ike will roll to where you land and Chargge Upsmash again? seriously. not happening.

dont get discouraged by bear. we need more lucario's in this board. however this could have just been put in the brainstorming thread and not have incurred the bears wrath.

Peace dude.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
1-2 pawnch out.
Bear knows his stuff, just take what he says, and go from there.
-t2

The_Bear735

Smash Journeyman
I'd really love it if Lucario had some good retreating abilities or even a new approach. But, I'm really skeptical to why we should use this and the problem of being punished when using this. The ES retreat is basically, like I said earlier, just going towards your opponent with no super armor or damage frames. Maybe I'm just seeing this wrong, but that doesn't sound useful. Along with this, Lucario already has better options than that, most of the time. I'd be beating a dead horse if I did a hypothetical or even outlined the options again, so let's just pretend I'm not being redundant when I say this.

Again, if you posted a video where you could at least show us what you're thinking of, or even prove your situation possible (and thus support your entire argument), I'd be more than glad to look into this. For the time being, however, I don't see this becoming metagame relevant.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
To be honest, I think ledgehop/jump -> AD > ER, but it's considerable for the veeeery rare mindgame like DT.
No more discussion on this, if you get a video showing why and how this works, post it on the Brainstorming thread, that's where practically the best-case scenario for a given "find" is tested, and if it doesn't work, well it's worth posting in there as opposed to making a new thread.
Let's lock/have this die down for the time being.
Edit: If you've ever seen ES, you'd know it's really, really laggy, especially on startup. Having no hurtbox/invincibility/etc. hurts a lot too (I've been smacked out of trying it by accidental tilts/smashes), and it's not even that fast (slower than QA, that's for sure), without even good options out of it. So is it really recommended? I honestly don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom