• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shiny's Mario Mafia - Game Over! Town + FireEmbleminer Victory!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
naaaaaaaahhh

i literally sat there with my weird claim (which caused town to not mess with me)

and when there was one other mafioso I JUMPED

and missed and fell flat on my face :'^)

and JUMPED AGAIN the next day

and hit it

but because I died the next day I only got a partial win :laugh::laugh::laugh:
It was PokeMafia, right?

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325

Maven89

Smash Master
We play pretty viciously, even though we’re friends if this was an FPS we’d be teabagging each other every kill

I’m not a big fan of the constant night PMs, I feel it makes the day phase way less important, however it’s interesting and I’d like to try it again, but when coricus came in and basically ended the game I lost almost all interest, at that point I just phoned it in

Natz~

Full of Hugs and Fire~
YEEET

to this day I thank Munchlax for being my fakeclaim

praline only considered it a partial win though :'^(((((((
i don't know why :V considering she was the one who literally wrote that win condiion in the ffirst place expecting you to strive for it

oh well, ya still get credit at least :V

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
It's not all it's cracked up to be. =__=
to be honest

you're right lol

but after going a game where I got lynched solely for being a second Maleficent

and one where I almost got lynched for claiming my role

it might be a bit refreshing to be mafia. :laugh:

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Honestly I think a big part of the fatigue of the game was that Bardull's wincon made everyone paranoid about surprise indy wins and there was no majority option. If he just had a normal cult wincon then swamp gets quicklyynched D4 and I doubt people think the game went on for too long.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Just realized that this was vaan's fourth game... and he was scum in three of them

Geez...
my two expriences were still wonderful

bad games just happen, and sometimes ya jsut get bad advantages,

stuff happens :V
It gets exhausting. I came here to solve mysteries, not be the mystery!

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I've been Mafia 1.08 times out of 3.

As for how it's 1.08,

I was Mafia for the entire game in DBZ Mafia.
I was only Mafia for the last phase (out of 13, 7 days and 6 nights) in Animafia, since Zeb was a Mafia Recruiter and had successfully recruited me after targeting me the previous four night phases.

1/13= 0.08
1 + .08 = 1.08. :p

I still prefer being town though.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
uhhhh okay im gon look real stupid doing this since my game is now at 4th/5th

but put Nintendo Heroines: Book Club on the queue!

and add Animal Crossing: Mayor Mania to eventually!

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Heroines is going to be more like the DGames mafia, Mayor Mania is going to be a free-for-all

EDIT: LOLOL MY DUMB SELF WRONG THREADDDDD

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
This isn't the queue thread.

Also, really? I was looking forward to Godfather Nook :V
yeah i realized this was the wrong thread.... these tabs got me MESSED UP

and AC mafia got moved back because I let Shish, Cori and Opo skip ahead. but I think it'll still be worth it :laugh:

D

Deleted member

I... worded myself wrong.

I just want revenge from Villains Mafia... even though it's my own fault.

If Goldie managed to get redemption twice so far, I can do that too!
To be fair, is it really "redemption" if it was completely unintentional? :p

That's just fate at that point. XD

D

Deleted member

It's not all it's cracked up to be. =__=
In my one time of being Mafia with the NintenZoners (and now DAGamers), I can confirm.

You think you had it bad this game?
There's a reason I never speak positive of my time in Animafia.

What happened with Uni's role is NOTHING compared to being told "You weren't jailed again, but you weren't able to escape from the jail" without any sort of context.
Then find out it was because while the Jailer could only jail a player every other Night, a jailed scum was jailed for TWO nights.
And while the Jailer wouldn't be alerted that their target got jailed a second Night, it was used as a "surprise!" moment for the scum.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
And then there’s Joja’s role and the faxt that “no one had guns”

It’s like White didn’t understand that a “gun” referred to a kill ability, so Joja ended up being basically a vanilla townie in a role madness.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
also with vaan I told him "ok uhhh this aint me, this someone else... but i know an enabler...." and five minutes later i went, "you know... that enabler? i'm them"
Wait this is really funny because I tried this with Kary. I told her the jailer had claimed to me and that he targeted DJ N1. When I said I couldn't tell her who he was she was just like "Aight so you're the jailer"

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Some constructive criticisms that are worth discussing:

1. There was no sample role PM. Scum factions had no safe claims.

I was concerned that this would get abused, but since Zen wasn't in the game, it wasn't an issue. However, if anyone had stopped and asked someone else "what does your role pm explicitly say you come up as when investigated by a cop?" on D1 and they answered anything but "clean," that would have condemned them. The word "clean" does not come up anywhere in my role pm. Theoretically, it was possible for the game to have been broken on D1 by getting people to answer the aforementioned question.

The mod confirmed to me that the word used is "clean" while not confirming it to the mafia faction since they didn't think it was necessary, which would have been really unfair if I had used it to "clear" myself.

Answer to this: add a sample town role pm!

2. Soup replacement?

I am generally of the opinion that Soup claiming, and then opting to replace out, is against the spirit of the game, and this isn't the first time he has done this. Granted, he stuck it out, but I feel that moving forward there is merit in punishing this behavior. I think it's worth talking about a bit at least. I am not sure if host-killing the slot is the correct solution since it hurts the balance of the game and could bring MyLo/LyLo one day closer than it should be.

Answer to this: prohibit replacing, or possibly bar players who constantly exit games after committing to a slot? Maybe other options I can't think of off the top of my head.

3. My win condition:

I feel that my win-condition is counter-intuitive to standard mafia play. It punishes both Town and Mafia for playing correctly, but the role is so completely vulnerable to all the role madness that can occur (multiple redirectors, cop, tracker, vig, role blockers, two characters that can discover what my abilities are, etc.) that optimal play basically breaks down to getting on my knees and praying that I survive the cross-fire while remaining fairly passive. Using my ability and claiming I was some kind of reviver would have gotten immediate suspicion from Nabe (Rosalina). Claiming a bomb in the dark is a big risk that I'd have to take if I ever was forced to claim (and since claims were huge in night pms, this would have been very difficult for me). At least, that's my opinion on it for now.

Either way, I don't think it's fair for a role to supersede and nullify an entire faction's win condition just because it is alive. The role needs some tinkering, but it was still interesting. I regret to some degree not playing it out differently albeit I suspect I would have gotten wrecked by PoE and claims at some point regardless.

Answer to this: I don't have an immediate answer for this one, lol.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Answer to this: prohibit replacing, or possibly bar players who constantly exit games after committing to a slot? Maybe other options I can't think of off the top of my head.
(Wrote up a thread about this a few years ago, and since inactivity hasn't resolved itself in this time period, maybe we should consider it again :p)

EBWOE: I also predicted the future in the first paragraph :eek: Also, I forgot FE posted in that thread!

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Some constructive criticisms that are worth discussing:

1. There was no sample role PM. Scum factions had no safe claims.

I was concerned that this would get abused, but since Zen wasn't in the game, it wasn't an issue. However, if anyone had stopped and asked someone else "what does your role pm explicitly say you come up as when investigated by a cop?" on D1 and they answered anything but "clean," that would have condemned them. The word "clean" does not come up anywhere in my role pm. Theoretically, it was possible for the game to have been broken on D1 by getting people to answer the aforementioned question.

I didn't take advantage of this to clear myself because the mod confirmed to me that the word used is "clean" while not confirming it to the mafia faction since they didn't think it was necessary, which would have been really unfair.

Answer to this: add a sample town role pm!
See, I'm now disappointed that you were told the correct "clean" result, and I certainly hope Uni was told, too, since he also did not have a clean result. It wasn't as important for the mafia, since we had Godfather Mario, but every time a mod gives one player an advantage like that, they need to tell, at the bare minimum, every other player that would equally benefit from that knowledge.

2. Soup replacement?

I am generally of the opinion that Soup claiming, and then opting to replace out, is against the spirit of the game, and this isn't the first time he has done this. Granted, he stuck it out, but I feel that moving forward there is merit in punishing this behavior. I think it's worth talking about a bit at least. I am not sure if host-killing the slot is the correct solution since it hurts the balance of the game and could bring MyLo/LyLo one day closer than it should be.

I'd like to hear someone else's opinion on my compromise solution. In normal play a host kill is the same as any kill, and the details of the role are flopped, giving every other player more information on how to play.

My suggestion was to not do that. To simply take him out of the game, confirm nothing about his role and basically retcon it and act like he was never there in the first place. This would also bar him from any post-death gameplay, like speaking to the medium, and would at least potentionally offset people concluding Nabe was town for arguing to keep him and Swamp was mafia for arguing to host kill him. People can argue how it puts town one day closer to a losing position but it's really no different from if the game had just began with one fewer player.

3. My win condition:

I feel that my win-condition is counter-intuitive to standard mafia play. It punishes both Town and Mafia for playing correctly, but the role is so completely vulnerable to all the role madness that can occur (multiple redirectors, cop, tracker, vig, role blockers, two characters that can discover what my abilities are, etc.) that optimal play basically breaks down to getting on my knees and praying that I survive the cross-fire while remaining fairly passive. Using my ability and claiming I was some kind of reviver would have gotten immediate suspicion from Nabe (Rosalina). Claiming a bomb in the dark is a big risk that I'd have to take if I ever was forced to claim (and since claims were huge in night pms, this would have been very difficult for me). At least, that's my opinion on it for now.

Either way, I don't think it's fair for a role to supersede and nullify an entire faction's win condition just because it is alive. The role needs some tinkering, but it was still interesting. I regret to some degree not playing it out differently albeit I suspect I would have gotten wrecked by PoE and claims at some point regardless.

Answer to this: I don't have an immediate answer for this one, lol.
All three third party roles sucked, I'll be brutally honest there. Hosts need to take a step back and look at these things from the player's perspective. If what you're about to put in the game would tick you off if you were playing, then don't put it in the game.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
My suggestion was to not do that. To simply take him out of the game, confirm nothing about his role and basically retcon it and act like he was never there in the first place. This would also bar him from any post-death gameplay, like speaking to the medium, and would at least potentionally offset people concluding Nabe was town for arguing to keep him and Swamp was mafia for arguing to host kill him. People can argue how it puts town one day closer to a losing position but it's really no different from if the game had just began with one fewer player.
The only problem I have with this is that it can radically change the way the game plays out. Like let's say you're in a game where the doctor is about to be lynched D1, ragers, and demands someone replace/hostkill him. If mafia doesn't see him flip doctor, then they would be punished just because of the guy raging, as they'll play the rest of the game assuming that there could possibly be a doctor.

And yeah indy in general is wack and almost impossible to balance. I just finished up a game where a serial killer came within inches of victory simply because nobody ever expected there to be an indy in the game.

Though if you're going to run indies with win conditions that don't have other factions losing (Like FE here) I also think they shouldn't stick around in game once they win, as they can basically do whatever they want from that point forward. Frequently when an indy that has a side conditions fulfills it they "Win and exit the game," upon which they flip and likewise are removed from the game while the game continues. Though in this scenario it wold have resulted in FE being done with the game D1 but that's what can happen when your wincon is "kill a specific person"

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The only problem I have with this is that it can radically change the way the game plays out. Like let's say you're in a game where the doctor is about to be lynched D1, ragers, and demands someone replace/hostkill him. If mafia doesn't see him flip doctor, then they would be punished just because of the guy raging, as they'll play the rest of the game assuming that there could possibly be a doctor.

And yeah indy in general is wack and almost impossible to balance. I just finished up a game where a serial killer came within inches of victory simply because nobody ever expected there to be an indy in the game.

Though if you're going to run indies with win conditions that don't have other factions losing (Like FE here) I also think they shouldn't stick around in game once they win, as they can basically do whatever they want from that point forward. Frequently when an indy that has a side conditions fulfills it they "Win and exit the game," upon which they flip and likewise are removed from the game while the game continues. Though in this scenario it wold have resulted in FE but that's what can happen when your wincon is "kill a specific person"
Fire's role, in particular, is a sticking point for me. It's much too powerful to be a town role, and yet, effectively, that's what it was allowed to function as. I learned very quickly into night 2 that Fire was going to get me alignment checked, but the mafia was completely powerless to do anything to stop him at any point in the game.

It's weird that his role specifies how not possessing someone kills him, because there wasn't even someone in the game with the ability to dayblock, and that's when he possessed people.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Yeah the whole point of indies is that they're usually playing to benefit themselves. So for FE to be able to just help town with his ridiculous role because he had already one is crazy.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Soup convinced people he was town by quitting. THAT'S what I'm annoyed at. That's the greater issue. Not that he quit and was allowed to stay. That he proved himself to town by saying he was quitting, and then he was allowed to renege on that.

We can't know for sure how drastically this affected the game. But Kary, at least, was suspicious of Soup. Her announcement made that clear. Soup may have been lynched that day. Even if he wasn't, if people were suspicious of him, they may have made attempts to prevent his night action. It's all maybes and what ifs, but ultimately, by quitting, none of that was ever going to happen now. It was effectively a get out of jail free card.

The mafia was put at a disadvantage because a town player wanted out.

Top Bottom