• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

shining out of shield

Animal

Smash Lord
Shining out of shield i feel is vital for any fox player now and days. its great against any over agressive player whos shield pressuring you, and it can completely flip a situation around. I find it works amazingly against falco players. Shine out of shield > thunders is ****. When i shine out of shield i push up on the c stick and press b in one motion, and with the other hand just simply press down. When you use the c stick out of shield it permits you to jump at the first frame possible, which is an advantage of doing it this way. However, tell me your way of doing it because im sure there are easier methods than mine. Also to practice it i just use a level 3-5 comp falcon or falco shield in front of it and wait for it to attack then shine out of shield, but again if you have a better way of practicing it let me know.

X- Sylar -X

Smash Journeyman
Really the most popular way??

I basically said the same thing as this guy to Cactus at ROM and he said it was just more practical to do it with all with the analog?

I just find it more effective for myself to use C because I don't leave the ground nearly as much as when I use the analog.

When practicing don't just Shine OOS but try always perfect WD out of it. Because when people start smash DIing your shine anything else won't cut it.

Treschikon: No one can get a hold of advanced techs until you first learn to do the things that are effective properly. No news is old because I'll bet as good as you are your still not using shine OOS to it's full potential.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
It's more common, but it's certainly not the best.
Some people use Y to B.
Some people go analog all the way.
Its just taste.

And I'm not that good anyways, but these questions can be asked in Q&A threads.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
I do Y to B xP habit from doing it with Falco.

But yeah, any way works. Some people slide Y to B, use the C stick, claw, I don't even get how you'd use the analog all the way lol. But do whatever works.

Animal

Smash Lord
I do Y to B xP habit from doing it with Falco.

But yeah, any way works. Some people slide Y to B, use the C stick, claw, I don't even get how you'd use the analog all the way lol. But do whatever works.
ya mango uses Y to B also. and ik some people like all analog because its the same motion for when they double shine.

ipownoobz

Smash Rookie
it's just that y to b is a bit slower but easier than just c sticking into shine (my own opinion)

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Some people are blessed with thumbs so big, that they cover both buttons. Lucky b*stards they are...

Lol, it's just a snapping motion from Y to B, if you can multishine like that, you can shine OoS. You don't really need gigantic thumbs.

cykofox

Smash Ace
lol all this talk...but you never see nikkas consistently combo out of the shine oos with fox...i've only seen shiz, chopz, zhu, mango shine bair you with falco and even that can be tricky...

noodles

Smash Champion
I tried with cstick for a good week but i still messed up consistently. Mogwai said he used y so i tried that having great success. Im pretty fast at it now and about 60% of my jc shines oos leave me grounded.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
lol all this talk...but you never see nikkas consistently combo out of the shine oos with fox...i've only seen shiz, chopz, zhu, mango shine bair you with falco and even that can be tricky...
shine oos (not perfect), double jump waveland, isai drop to dair to shine to usmash.

Basically, zelgadis had this **** down in '06. get with the metagame guys.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
It's more common, but it's certainly not the best.
Some people use Y to B.
Some people go analog all the way.
Its just taste.

And I'm not that good anyways, but these questions can be asked in Q&A threads.
Personally, I go with Y->B. It feels exactly like JC shining, which I practice all the **** time. Learning to slide from Y to B for the Shine oos also helps with timing and precision for Y->B JC shines as well.

shine oos (not perfect), double jump waveland, isai drop to dair to shine to usmash.

Basically, zelgadis had this **** down in '06. get with the metagame guys.
Agreed. Its honestly not that far out of reach. Put the work in and you'll be able to get a couple hits after with relative ease.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Shine bair from shield with falco's easy, I just don't think you watch too many videos other than players like Shiz, Chops, Zhu, and Mango :p

I mean, I can do it... and I suck.

That said I just use Fox's as a get-off-me kind of thing. I can't stay on the ground consistently with his so, I can't combo with it very well yet :laugh:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i asked kels whether i should try to get the perfect one over the summer, and he said something like "nah you're just going to jump out of it anyways. just make sure it hits."

basically, with falco you are going to combo or instant bair out of it, so you dont even want to be back on the ground (more lag). with fox you mostly use it as a "get off me" move (as CABC said) and then follow up. Whether they tech or not, you have advantage (if you're fast, you combo. if youre a little slow you have frame advantage and force them into their shield/roll. if youre really slow you go even)

noodles

Smash Champion
When you do it as fox its still hard to combo off it though >_<. Like you need to see whether or not you did land on the floor and react with a waveshine left or right. If your in the air you could put yourself in a really bad position if you try wave dashing.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
If you see a platform around, wavelanding onto in helps you give chase. Even on flatland, shine oos->dj->ff is usually fast enough to get you close and continue pressure. : /

Animal

Smash Lord
If you see a platform around, wavelanding onto in helps you give chase. Even on flatland, shine oos->dj->ff is usually fast enough to get you close and continue pressure. : /
ya i've got into a consistent habbit of shining out of shield and instantly jumping out of it, and it works well.

cykofox

Smash Ace
Shine bair from shield with falco's easy, I just don't think you watch too many videos other than players like Shiz, Chops, Zhu, and Mango :p

I mean, I can do it... and I suck.

That said I just use Fox's as a get-off-me kind of thing. I can't stay on the ground consistently with his so, I can't combo with it very well yet :laugh:
lol i was talking about falco players that actually matter:laugh:
and thanks for proving my point errone, now get that falco off of me *shines oos* with no followup cuz its too hard to be consistent with it or with out doing some sort of gimmick zeldadis followup

Animal

Smash Lord
also, i have a hard time tellng when i should upsmash oos or shine, how much faster is the shine than the up smash?

cykofox

Smash Ace
also, i have a hard time tellng when i should upsmash oos or shine, how much faster is the shine than the up smash?
upsmash when they dash attack your shield or space a move poorly on it..
shine if they are shield pressuring or if they are behind you

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Usmash OoS is 8 frames, while shine OoS is 4 or somethin? Sometimes Falcos aren't perfect enough with their pressure so you can get away with usmash OoS if they're in front of you.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
jump is 3 frames, shine comes out on four. Usmash is 6 or 7 I believe. Because most people shine oos and can't stay otg when they do it, shine oos would be something like 5 frames. (room for human error)

It doesn't matter though, its still his fastest option.

Usmash oos is better if you see that your opponent has made a big mistake into your shield:

dash attacks
smash attacks
missed lcancels
badly spaced tilts

shine is for the stuff thats hard to judge if you can punish. Use it for everything else.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
usmash comes out on 7, but there is at least 1 frame of the jump animation before you can jump cancel it. Tres was 100% right.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
lol i was talking about falco players that actually matter:laugh:
and thanks for proving my point errone, now get that falco off of me *shines oos* with no followup cuz its too hard to be consistent with it or with out doing some sort of gimmick zeldadis followup
I'm interested in your definition of players who "matter."

Tons of Falcos do shine OoS -> b-air. <.<;

cykofox

Smash Ace
I'm interested in your definition of players who "matter."

Tons of Falcos do shine OoS -> b-air. <.<;
duh...i can shine bair oos too, but ultimately it matters with how much consistency you do it during tourny play...like those guys especially shiz and chops you cant hit their shield for **** cuz of that...this game is all about consistency...

Animal

Smash Lord
duh...i can shine bair oos too, but ultimately it matters with how much consistency you do it during tourny play...like those guys especially shiz and chops you cant hit their shield for **** cuz of that...this game is all about consistency...
agreed consistency is important. ROM2 LESSSSSSSSSSS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

4 Aces

Smash Ace
This thread has, for a lack of a better word, "inspired" me to try and learn this. I hadn't practiced this tech much, since I figured it was useless. That, and I couldn't do it at all back then. Gotta try this.

Xelyst

-_-
I tried Y>B

lately i just C>B with better results... c and b are close together ... and a isn't looking at me anymore like "your gonna press me by accident and get punished" <_<

allot of my jump mechanics come from using C so im a stupid fox lol

Sync8699

Smash Cadet
You know...reading threads on tech skill I notice a lot of the same opinion:
some people like all analog because its the same motion for when they double shine.
...Basically that people prefer to perform different techs with the same buttons/hand configuration. I'm not super good, but I'm known as one of the most technical Foxes in my region - especially for my quick and consistent Shine OOSs - and I use different buttons and controller holds for different techs. Don't limit yourself to just one configuration. Here are some of the ways I perform common Fox techniques:

Shine OOS: Roll c-stick up to B. If you're quick enough you can still do a perfect wavedash out of it.
Double-shine: B-Y-B all with my right thumb. I don't care to do more than two shines; at that point it's better to grab or wavedash.
SHFFL/Jump-cancel grab: X button to jump, then aerial (for SHFFL) or Z (for JC grab).
Upsmash: Claw using Y+B - I move my hand to the claw position for ALL of my upsmashes unless charged. It makes jab + upsmash harder but more reliable and upsmashing Marth (for example) after a shine much easier.
DSHL/Reverse DSHL: Joystick for all laser maneuvers.

And I'm pretty consistent with all of these, even in the heat of a match. You'll notice I use the joystick, Y button, and X buttons all at different times depending on the tech I'm performing. It works. My point: figure out whatever configuration is best for JUST THAT TECHNIQUE and practice it. With a quick enough hands (and most Fox players have those), switching it up shouldn't be a problem.

Top Bottom