• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

shielding is > than spot dodging

__HARM__

Smash Journeyman
Recently i did a little experiment.

Spot dodging has always been a part of game. Against lesser skilled players it has always been a useful tool to catch oppents off gaurd and get free hits. As the competition got i realized i was actually getting punished for spot dodging and my opponents were seeing it.

Yesterday i played my friend d20s marth. Usually he gets the better of me, but then i decided to use the down dodge sparingly. The results were fantastic.

in my opinion just shielding is much better than spot doding

every once and i while they are good to throw in though.:)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It's like any other technique. If you use it too much, it becomes a curse. If you start sheilding too much, you will be grabbed. The key to a good game is mixing it up.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
i find shield grabbing for samus SUCKS! you get punished so bad if you miss. and you're even punished before you can let the hook go. i think shielding is good, but it's only good if you wave dash out to do an attack. for ex) Falco dair's you , You shield, wavedash back a bit then downsmash. works really fine. well for if you spot dodge the falco will just l cancel and shine you you can never spot dodge a falco often.

J Flo

Smash Journeyman
It's like any other technique. If you use it too much, it becomes a curse. If you start sheilding too much, you will be grabbed. The key to a good game is mixing it up.
Listen to this dude. Mixin' up your style is key to any fighting game. Mix it up so that you get the advantages of both dodging and shielding while making it harder for your opponent to know what defense he'll have to fight against.

Undefined

Smash Apprentice
i lolled when the op said "its a tactic used by noobs often"

go watch drephen, kthx.

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
Haha dude you have to spot dodge. Its in any good smashers bag of tricks. Its just sometimes its better to sd and sometimes its better to shield. But no one that wants to be good can totally do without it.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
shielding last as long as it doesn't break or grabbed. Spot Dodging only lasts a few short frames, can't be grabbed, and can't be knocked back (unlike shielding in which your op can shove you away if they use a strong enough attack).

Their both good. Mixing it up is key though.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Some characters have bad spot dodges, m2 is teh first that comes to mind but characters like kirby have an amazingly quick spot dodge, fast with good recovery time.
judging by your sig you're a samus player?
Her spot dodge is average... I avoid using it and just wave dash to avoid damage.

pockyD

Smash Legend
that's a weird thing to say because samus and kirby have the exact same spot-dodge, and samus has better moves to use after it (jab, dsmash, etc)

samus's spot-dodge is in fact one of the best but if you overuse it, it can still be easily punished.... don't take it out of your game completely though

Andromon58

Smash Apprentice
Hahaha, AD is a good show. too bad they cancelled it. Kinda convoluted near the end tho.

pockyD

Smash Legend
the main reason it got so messed up at the end is because they had to rush to tie up loose ends when they got cancelled =[

Top Bottom