• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Shield Toggling"

Renth

Smash Hero
I went to a tournament not to long ago and I was doing something, when other players saw me doing it they were confused and when they tried to imitate it, they were doing it all wrong. I would toggle between light and heavy shield very quickly, when others saw me try to do it they would lightly press down the L/R button to try to get the same effect.

I showed Hungrybox, RockCrock, Project, Skratch and others none of them knew they could do this, granted I believe this technique completely useless and hardly worth knowing I found it interesting I stumbled on something no one else seemed to know about.

How to do:

Hold down the L/R button while also holding in the A button then press Z. every time you press Z your shield will change between light and heavy, that is how i was flickering between shields very quickly for entertainment.

My question.

Who else knew about this silly thing? is it as useless as I think it is? and Why is it so fun to toggle your shield very rapidly? Also, why does holding L/R+A then tapping Z cause the toggle?

Myztek

Smash Ace
HyperDragon in my area loves to do this between stocks.
I read it somewhere a long time ago, and just showed everyone I played with.

Edit: I'm not sure if it has any legitimate uses besides confusion. I've considered trying it to disrupt shield pressure, but never really did it, but it sounds maybe useful.

:phone:

Construct

Smash Journeyman
I accidentally started doing it on Dolphin and figured it out from there. That being said, I haven't really found a use for it aside from looking cool.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Do you even have to hold A?
I believe I do that just by holding R and mashing Z (you grab first, but then your shield toggles).

It's something good to know when you're trying to do a Marth-killer

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Do you even have to hold A?
I believe I do that just by holding R and mashing Z (you grab first, but then your shield toggles).

It's something good to know when you're trying to do a Marth-killer
Yes, you have to hold A for it to work. If you hold R while pressing Z then you will just grab. if you hold Z while pressing R then nothing will change.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I think the usefulness of it comes from messing up their l-cancel timing, no? And taking less sheild damage, if i'm thinking of the right thing.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i thought you could do it by lightshielding with one trigger, and alternating hard and light shield with the other shield. i figure something similar is how IC's do hard/light shield, but i have absolutely no idea how that works.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
I first saw KDJ do it. I figured he was lightshielding with L or R and constantly pressing the other to give that effect. It worked the same way as the described in the original post, but I guess pressing Z is easier/faster.

NNID
dansalvato
This works because the check for Z light-shield happens BEFORE the check for L/R shield. This means the Z shield has priority. It shields instead of grabs while holding A because this is the normal behavior for the Z button; if you push Z while holding A, you will light-shield instead of grab.

MT_

Smash Ace
There's actually another way to do this (the one that I figured out after I saw M2K do this). Do a lightshield with L and hold, then push down/let go R (works with buttons reversed of course).

EDIT: oops someone already mentioned this lol

Top Bottom