• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield rolling, a nOOb tactic?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I was going through the forums yesterday and another member casually mentioned that shield rolling, putting up your shield and then dodging to the left or right, was a nOOb tactic and was one of several tell tale signs that someone was very unexperienced with competitive play when it came to Smash. After thinking about it, I went to You Tube and watched several Melee/Brawl professional matches and realised for the first time the players in those videos never shield rolled. Now, this was a shock to the system because it had been something I had done ever since the first Smash Bros. I then realized that in every match were I had been 2-3 stocked with friends online, they never did it and the people who I 2-3 stocked did it too much.

It's weird that it's not until now that I've realised how predictible it makes you, how it greatly lessens your mobility, and how it's so easy to counter. I'm now in the process of changing my ways so that I only shield and spot dodge but I still have a question: is there ever a time when it's "okay" to roll dodge? For example, are their some attacks that are better to just roll away from than trying to powershield or spot dodge? Thanks to whoever can answer my questions.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
I can see it being useful for powerful projectiles. i.e. when you need to both dodge something quickly and approach your opponent.

Sliq

Smash Master
Rolling away from someone is the only rolling you should be doing, and only if you can't counter your opponent in some manner, whether it be counterattacking with a move, or fox trotting away and hitting them with an aerial.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
there are plenty of times when you need to roll, but most of them are to dodge slow f-smashes and the like. However, you should learn to find safer and more efficient ways to avoid getting hit such as learning spacing. Basically, make invisible boundaries that you can breech that your opponent cannot or that you can attack faster in. Shield grabbing is also a good thing to learn. Just wait until after your opponent attacks your shield and press A while still holding your shield up.

Swervytown

Smash Rookie
when someone has a neutral a move that gets you stuck like king Dedede's or Captain Falcon's shield dodging with a roll is useful because you'd be able to roll behind your opponent with it.

FeArTeHsMaSh

Smash Cadet
Just don't roll. As you play better players, the game becomes more about predicting movements. Players throw random moves to get you to react so they can counter best. Any form of rolling will just make you predictable.

Browny

Smash Hater
but its just owns for some characters. sonic and Lucario have amazingly fast roll dodges, they can get behind you and grab you in between tilts. for many other characters however i just doesnt go far or fast enough to even be worthwhile

Sliq

Smash Master
but its just owns for some characters. sonic and Lucario have amazingly fast roll dodges, they can get behind you and grab you in between tilts. for many other characters however i just doesnt go far or fast enough to even be worthwhile
Doesn't matter how fast their rolls are if they roll into a down smash because they are predictable roll spamming noobs.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Rolling away from someone is the only rolling you should be doing, and only if you can't counter your opponent in some manner, whether it be counterattacking with a move, or fox trotting away and hitting them with an aerial.
Okay, my situation is an exception to that for 2 reasons:

A) although spot dodging or jumping would be ideal, it depends on the timing for jump and the speed of the projectile for spot dodging(because your dodge could end with the projectile on top of you. Samus' charge shot at full power would also affect it because the hitbox is so **** big.).

B) By getting closer, I meant with the assumption that your distance is great enough that the roll dodge won't put you within range, simply bring you closer so they have less of a projectile advantage, especially if you're playing somoen without a projectile.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
there are plenty of times when you need to roll, but most of them are to dodge slow f-smashes and the like. However, you should learn to find safer and more efficient ways to avoid getting hit such as learning spacing. Basically, make invisible boundaries that you can breech that your opponent cannot or that you can attack faster in. Shield grabbing is also a good thing to learn. Just wait until after your opponent attacks your shield and press A while still holding your shield up.
I know how to shield grab but thanks for the advice.

when someone has a neutral a move that gets you stuck like king Dedede's or Captain Falcon's shield dodging with a roll is useful because you'd be able to roll behind your opponent with it.
And into most characters Dsmashes... If you get stuck in a jab, the best way to get out as quickly as possible is to smash DI in the opposite direction.

As said before, it makes you predictible especially if you think this will work every time. I learned this the hard way a few days ago while fighting one of my friends who's a regular tournament go-er. I thought that rolling behind him and quickly countering with a ftilt, dtilt, or Dsmash would work most times but, truth be told, it never worked once and he was able to counter every single time.

THANXone

Smash Rookie
chars like DDD and Ike use the sidestepping roll as a major large tactic to spacing and manuvering. not to mention marths roll dodge is a must. but constant spamming of roll dodging with every char just gets rediculous.

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
I never realised that you should NEVER roll. Im still going to roll ocasianally though

Well of course im going to glide toss though.

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
I think it seems a little extreme to say "never roll."

I see the logic because it lags too much to really counter attack or reposition, but the main purpose of a roll is pure defense. Ideally a player would never roll because he would be using other techniques to attack, confuse, and KO his opponent. But there almost always comes a time in a match where things get "hot" and a roll is a somewhat safe maneuver to allow the player to reasses.

I think the problem comes in the form of over-rolling, which many people are guilty of, including me. Rolling is an important part of Brawl's mindgame dimension. The big thing to remember is that rolls (in pro play) will hardly ever lead to a good attack opportunity, but like I said, it can help in defense.

acv

Smash Journeyman
only nooobs roll like noobs.if you fail and cant use it effectively then dont use it.if you are good at smash and know how to use it and when to use it then go ahead and do it.

Top Bottom