• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shiek Confirmed... to be a girl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peach-man

Smash Journeyman
The sweet, sweet land of sweet, sweet, chocolate,
Well yeah but a lot of her manly grunts and her victory pose seemed to point out that she wasn't a she. Just like with the whole no boobs thing.
Well, then we could state that Sheik is both ^^
but, really, that voice is part of the Sheikah-tribe magic stuff and her pose is part of the PRETENDING to be male...
end of discussion:grin:

G-X

Smash Apprentice
only because they couldnt do boobs in N64 graficks doesnt mean she´s a guy!!
You kidding? Princess Ruto's polygonal bloobs haunted me...

Anyway, regarding the gender of Sheik:

Think of it this way. Back in the day of Elizabethan theatre, women were not allowed to perform on stage. Thus, all the female parts had to be played by boys.

Now, someone watching the play would understand that Rosalind is supposed to be female, even though she is played by a guy.

It's the same with Sheik. He's supposed to be a guy, but he was played by Zelda. Zelda doesn't have a ***** -> Sheik doesn't have a *****.

Q.E.D.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
All Zelda really did was change her XY chromosomes!
So That leaves Shiek to really be... umm... XYX ?
I'm just going to leave Shiek as Female!

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
First of all, as much as this thread seems destined to descend into vulgarity, I applaud its creator for attempting to end a longstanding and completely ridiculous debate.

Secondly, the entire arguement for Sheik supposedly being male is based on ONE single, in-game quote. When you encounter Ruto as an "adult" (is 17 really an adult?) in OoT, she explains why she isn't frozen like the rest of the Zoras; she was saved by a Sheikah, refered to as male. However, it is important to note two things about this; 1) This is the first time Ruto met Sheik, and from Sheik's previous behavior we can infer that it probably consisted of Sheik helping Ruto out, then disappearing before any questions can be asked about who she is (like she does with Link) and 2) It wouldn't be a very convincing disguise if Ruto, who isn't the brightest star in the sky, didn't fall for it. Sheik is SUPPOSED to look like a dude. The other characters are SUPPOSED to think she's a dude. Why? Because, contrary to what some people would have us believe, gamers aren't stupid. If Zelda disguised herself as a Sheikah GIRL, any idiot in their right mind would have put two and two together the first time she showed up. So Nintendo disguised her as a guy, which takes neither no ammount of magic or surgery, just watch movies like Some Like It Hot or She's the Man or any number of other movies.

And while some people regard Sheik's appearances in the Smash Bros. series non-cannon, her classic trophy from Melee (which refers to her as female) IS cannon, by virtue of the fact that its sole purpose is to breifly summarize Sheik's cannonical history.

Ladies and gentlemen, Sheik is no longer a potato.

Bozen

Smash Apprentice
First of all, as much as this thread seems destined to descend into vulgarity, I applaud its creator for attempting to end a longstanding and completely ridiculous debate.

Secondly, the entire arguement for Sheik supposedly being male is based on ONE single, in-game quote. When you encounter Ruto as an "adult" (is 17 really an adult?) in OoT, she explains why she isn't frozen like the rest of the Zoras; she was saved by a Sheikah, refered to as male. However, it is important to note two things about this; 1) This is the first time Ruto met Sheik, and from Sheik's previous behavior we can infer that it probably consisted of Sheik helping Ruto out, then disappearing before any questions can be asked about who she is (like she does with Link) and 2) It wouldn't be a very convincing disguise if Ruto, who isn't the brightest star in the sky, didn't fall for it. Sheik is SUPPOSED to look like a dude. The other characters are SUPPOSED to think she's a dude. Why? Because, contrary to what some people would have us believe, gamers aren't stupid. If Zelda disguised herself as a Sheikah GIRL, any idiot in their right mind would have put two and two together the first time she showed up. So Nintendo disguised her as a guy, which takes neither no ammount of magic or surgery, just watch movies like Some Like It Hot or She's the Man or any number of other movies.

And while some people regard Sheik's appearances in the Smash Bros. series non-cannon, her classic trophy from Melee (which refers to her as female) IS cannon, by virtue of the fact that its sole purpose is to breifly summarize Sheik's cannonical history.

Finally someone else seems to have figured it out.

/thread

Kips

Smash Ace

Perfectly put. Sheik isn't a potato she's a... PEACH! Alright, you can shoot me now.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
It's a disguise. Sheik in OoT is a 'FFT'. Not male or female, all anyone understnads is that it exists. This new update makes her look increadibly feminine though... you'd have to be stupid to think she doesn't.

Micahc

Smash Ace
I hate this thread...

Anyways, it's not that hard for a chick to fake being a guy, if your talking about the crotch area. And if your trying to pretend to be a guy, looking like a chick is not the way to do it.

finalark

SNORLAX
.... wow.... I just read this entire thread and all I can say is:

....what's with guys and boobs? (not gay)

Anyway, back on topic: Unless Zelda.... changes.... when she becomes Sheik then Sheik is a she, obviously.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
If Nintendo had noticed Soul Calibur or Dead or Alive's style, they wouldn't be making Brawl and would instead be trying to persuade Jack Thompson to file a lawsuit against the games.

So I don't think Nintendo plays those games, they're too violent and "matur"e ;)

Sheik has been officially a "woman" for the past 6 years, I don't even see why there is still discussion about it. Maybe her "OoT" gender, but I think the evidence still speaks for itself.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Finally, it's been made clear. At first, when I played OoT, I was a bit confused. The first thing I thought was: It must be magic. But I didn't consider the possibilty that Sheik could have strapped her breasts down ^^; I was uncomfortable with that idea, so I thought she magically changed her appearance to that of a man (I actually thought Sheik was a guy, but only physically). Looks like the disguise wasn't magic.
But I'm sooo glad, this should end the "Is Sheik male or female?" debate once and for all!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
it really doesn't since Super Smash brothers is grievously non-cannon. In OoT, zelda uses magic to turn into a man... end of story... whether you want to call the thing with a male body and persona, but female thoughts and emotions a man or a woman is up to you, but there you have it..... now, in brawl, they might be trying to sell the "woman" part just so having a transexual character isn't an issue. the infamous "boob" shot, while indeed, it does look like large breasts, is only one shot and sheik looks normal in all the others... perhaps an error in shading produced them? perhaps some strange overlap. Regardless, just because sakurai calls sheik a female doesn't really mean anything. If we took smash as cannon then we'd think daisy was just peach in disguise and that mewtwo was a terrible pokemon.

believe what you want to about sheik, but don't think that sakurai has any answers. The only real knowledge of sheik must come from OoT since that's the only cannon game with sheik... and in this game, sheik is a woman in the body of a man... whatever you want to call that. I'd still call it man, but I suppose you don't have to.

Ike's Biggest Fan

Smash Apprentice
Following Ike's travels through Tellius and beyond
ok, lets get this straight. Sheik is a disguise! zelda didnt change genders with magic, she doesnt have the magic for that! since when in the description of sage of light is the "gender change power"? she simply wrapped up and disguised as a guy. It is still her. a HER. because zelda is a HER. i dont know how ican be clearer! bottom line:
zelda doesnt have powers that let her grow a manpart, ergo sheik is a female.
now will somebody please close this?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
ok, lets get this straight. Sheik is a disguise! zelda didnt change genders with magic, she doesnt have the magic for that! since when in the description of sage of light is the "gender change power"? she simply wrapped up and disguised as a guy. It is still her. a HER. because zelda is a HER. i dont know how ican be clearer! bottom line:
zelda doesnt have powers that let her grow a manpart, ergo sheik is a female.
now will somebody please close this?
how do you know what sages can and can't do... she has the power to warp time, she can certainly warp her shape... at the very least she created muscles for sheik that she doesn't have

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
how do you know what sages can and can't do... she has the power to warp time, she can certainly warp her shape... at the very least she created muscles for sheik that she doesn't have
How do you know Zelda can't spontaneously combust? Grow a extra limbs? Exist without a head? I could go on. All of those things involve altering her form. If fanboys invented unnecessary, contrived explanations for her behaviors involving one of those attributes, we could be having the same convorsation about whether or not Zelda can change into a giant or a race of tiny ants (that's how she teleports, duh). The burden of proof lies on you for claiming that she has a completely otherwise unnaccounted for ability, which is for previously explained reasons, completely unnecessary.

Ockham's razor; the simplest explanation is the right one. Just like I'm typing this message at my computer, instead of using smoke signals to have a Canadian Mountie type it several miles from here, Zelda isn't magically making herself into a dude, she's changing her clothes. Girls don't need to change into a guy to impersonate a guy, therefore there is no reason to believe Zelda changed into a guy in order to impersonate one. The magic is nothing more than a plot device to make the change instantaneous, rather than having Sheik leave to change into her Zelda clothes (in which is far less dramatic) or having Sheik get nekkid to change in front of Link (while, this might fulfill some fanboys' fantasies, I'm pretty sure this wasn't on Nintendo's agenda).

As I said before, the entire idea of Zelda actually changing genders is taken from a single line of dialogue in OoT, taken completely out of context.

I stand by my statement, no more potato.

teamrocketspy621

Smash Cadet
didnt it also say so in her trophy in Melee...
From her three Melee trophies:

"Using a variation of the name of the ancient Sheikah tribe, she appears before Link and teaches him melodies instrumental to his success."

"It's believed that she's not just a quick-change artist, but rather that she is able to instantaneously alter her clothing and her eye and skin color by using her magical skills."

"Compared to her Zelda form, Sheik is nimble and has gorgeous moves, but she lacks a strong knockout attack."

"The best strategy to use when playing as Sheik is to let her flow from one powerful attack into another, like a river of quicksilver."

"Sheik only travels a short way when using Vanish, but the move comes with a small explosion that damages foes around her."

Multiple lines referring to Sheik as "she" or "her." Not a single line referring to Sheik as "he" or "him." Case closed indeed.

Kips

Smash Ace
How do you know Zelda can't spontaneously combust? Grow a extra limbs? Exist without a head? I could go on. All of those things involve altering her form. If fanboys invented unnecessary, contrived explanations for her behaviors involving one of those attributes, we could be having the same convorsation about whether or not Zelda can change into a giant or a race of tiny ants (that's how she teleports, duh). The burden of proof lies on you for claiming that she has a completely otherwise unnaccounted for ability, which is for previously explained reasons, completely unnecessary.

Ockham's razor; the simplest explanation is the right one. Just like I'm typing this message at my computer, instead of using smoke signals to have a Canadian Mountie type it several miles from here, Zelda isn't magically making herself into a dude, she's changing her clothes. Girls don't need to change into a guy to impersonate a guy, therefore there is no reason to believe Zelda changed into a guy in order to impersonate one. The magic is nothing more than a plot device to make the change instantaneous, rather than having Sheik leave to change into her Zelda clothes (in which is far less dramatic) or having Sheik get nekkid to change in front of Link (while, this might fulfill some fanboys' fantasies, I'm pretty sure this wasn't on Nintendo's agenda).

As I said before, the entire idea of Zelda actually changing genders is taken from a single line of dialogue in OoT, taken completely out of context.

I stand by my statement, no more potato.
Great post, I agree. Speaking of which- Do game designers ever wonder what kind of arguements they spark up when they do something like this?

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
Officially Official from nintendo

I like to think as Sheik and Zelda as two halves of the same person,

In ocarina of time, Sheik is Zelda's alter ego and is meant to be a male, Zelda used magic to change her physical appearance to that of a man, and Sheik is clearly referred to as a "Boy" or "Man" in game text. So, Yes Zelda = Sheik, and Zelda is female. That is why in SSBM & SSBB Sakurai chooses to refer to Sheik as a part of Zelda and therefore being female to avoid gender confusion.

SO...Sheik is meant to be a man but is part of Zelda who is a woman. THE WHOLE PACKAGE IS FEMALE.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
shut up sonic man...

in OoT sheik is reffered to as a man because zelda disguises herself as a man...
in OoT the characters talk with dialoges...
so logically... everyone thinks sheik is a man
but FFS... everyone (even nintendo) says Sheik also is a girl, Zelda did NOT change the gender...

Kips

Smash Ace
No need to get insulting. It's obvious now and the issue has been cleared up. Sheik is a female, Zelda is a female, Ruto was confused (She's not the shiniest lightbulb anyways) and we're not all happy about it.

MACMO

Smash Cadet
SHE-ik

Whats wrong with you people, Sheik is and has always been a female, who can really think she is a male. Just read her Melee thropies description and shut up.

239: Sheik [The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time]
[11/98]
"This is Zelda's alter ego. Using a variation of
the name of the ancient Sheikah tribe, she
appears before Link and teaches him melodies
instrumental to his success. It's believed
that she's not just a quick-change artist, but
rather that she is able to instantaneously
alter her clothing and her eye and skin color by
using her magical skills.
"

240: Sheik [B: Needle Storm]
[Smash B: Chain]
"Strategically switching between Zelda and Sheik
is key. Compared to her Zelda form, Sheik is
nimble and has gorgeous moves, but she lacks a
strong knockout attack. The number of needles
thrown in Needle Storm is based on how long
you hold the B Button before releasing it.
Use the Control Stick to wave the Chain
after brandishing it."

241: Sheik [Up & B: Vanish]
[Down & B: Transform]
"The best strategy to use when playing as Sheik
is to let her flow from one powerful attack into
another, like a river of quicksilver. Zelda has
some techniques with more punch, however,
so in one-on-one battles, use Transform as needed.
Sheik only travels a short way when using Vanish,
but the move comes with a small explosion that
damages foes around her."

So, can you stop this discussion. Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom