• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

sHell's Wario Guide*UPDATED*AUG17 More Matchup changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

QNZ_RAFA

Smash Ace
lets face it guys. wario is a great character, but any character that can grab wario where his feet arent touching the floor, means DEATH to wario. and 0% CAPTAIN can grab wario, into knee, into another grab into another knee into an up air. its pretty nasty. ganon can chain grab him using the grab release, all the way to the ledge, then grab release into a down air.

DK can get off his fully charged NEUTRAL B PUnch FROM the grab release.

marth can do pretty much nething out of grab release.

D3 could probably only do up tilt.

AND THE WORST OF ALL...SNAKE..if timed correctly, which is not that hard, can grab release INTO A NEUTRAL AIR...ALL MOVES WILL HIT!! thats instant 30 damage.not to mention he can do his UP-TILT from grab release. this is what stops wario from becoming amazing. he's really good, but will never get AMAZING becuz of those gimps.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
lets face it guys. wario is a great character, but any character that can grab wario where his feet arent touching the floor, means DEATH to wario. and 0% CAPTAIN can grab wario, into knee, into another grab into another knee into an up air. its pretty nasty. ganon can chain grab him using the grab release, all the way to the ledge, then grab release into a down air.
Actually that Combo doesn't work if Wario has good DI IIRC. Also I am pretty sure Ganon can infinite him by just standing and regrabbing.

marth can do pretty much nothing out of grab release.

AND THE WORST OF ALL...SNAKE..if timed correctly, which is not that hard, can grab release INTO A NEUTRAL AIR...ALL MOVES WILL HIT!! thats instant 30 damage.not to mention he can do his UP-TILT from grab release. this is what stops wario from becoming amazing. he's really good, but will never get AMAZING becuz of those gimps.
So what, DK can also land Usmash and maybe an Upwards Fsmash. We can CG him anyways.

Marth can do a TON of stuff after grab release, from Tippered Upb to Tippered Fsmash.

Dedede can do Bair, Dair, Usmash, and probably Nair too.

Snake can Nair us, but we can SDI out of Nair, it's not that hard to do ESPECIALLY when you know it is coming. Utilt for Snake isn't really that bad for Wario, he's gonna die somewhere around the 120% anyways.

Wario is still amazing despite grab release stuff against him. He is near the top of High Tier, and there really are not that many players showing his potential off. Imagine if Wario was as popular as Snake or Dedede or Falco or those characters. He would probably be even higher.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
He's just too manly and sexy for people to dare maining him... you have to have some balls to play a character everyone else detests, and then use him to **** on them (literally and figuratively).

But yeah, if the matchups were as easy as you thought, you'd see more people CPing Falcon and Ganondorf against Wario. Fact of the matter is, Ganon has less grab range than a Tyrannosaurus, and Wario can beat both of them by standing in place and biting (exaggeration... but bite ***** them).

PKNintendo

Smash Master
You know Ganon, I really hate it when people take grab releases to seriously. They assume that it makes a character terrible. I should know, I main Ness.

And I suppose a CG from 0-110% is nothing via Wario huh. I don't even think DK can punch, it's seems a tad slow for that

marth can do pretty much nothing out of grab release.
Marth has is aerials, and his Up and Fsmash. But it doesn't matter, because IIRC Marth countered Wario before this grab crap.
Lol

Snake Nair can be SDI. The move is terrible.
You need to give Wario more credit. He still has untapped potential, I can see it.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion

marth can do pretty much nething out of grab release.

This, my friends, is what is called an uneducated person.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Hopefully someone around here will check this and answer my question.

I've been messing around with Lucas's air grab releases on Wario but I only have CPU's to test it on which obviously isn't the best way of testing. Could someone test or let me know if the following work?

Lucas's air grab release on Wario
-followed by Usmash (I doubt it, it looks like Wario can jump out of the way)
-followed by Dsmash (Hard to tell. Looks like it might work but CPU's are dumb)
-followed by full hop Fair, Uair or Nair (Again difficult to know for certain without a human to test on.)

Please someone who knows what they're talking about let me know if these will work on a human or not.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Hopefully someone around here will check this and answer my question.

I've been messing around with Lucas's air grab releases on Wario but I only have CPU's to test it on which obviously isn't the best way of testing. Could someone test or let me know if the following work?

Lucas's air grab release on Wario
-followed by Usmash (I doubt it, it looks like Wario can jump out of the way)
-followed by Dsmash (Hard to tell. Looks like it might work but CPU's are dumb)
-followed by full hop Fair, Uair or Nair (Again difficult to know for certain without a human to test on.)

Please someone who knows what they're talking about let me know if these will work on a human or not.
Upsmash is out. It's way to slow.
Never tested dsmash.

All of Lucas aerials work.

But Tyr consider 2 things.

A) Grabbing Wario
B) Grabbing Wario near a ledge.

If you managa to do both on a good Wario, I will give you a cookie.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I don't need a ledge to rack up damage. And grabbing is just about prediction and punishment. Anything that can be predicted can be punished. Pivot grabs for the win.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I don't need a ledge to rack up damage. And grabbing is just about prediction and punishment. Anything that can be predicted can be punished. Pivot grabs for the win.
The ledge is for the air release.
Lucas is to short to force an air release.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
crud i was hoping people wouldn't like Wario so i can have him to myself. recently on Wi-Fi brawls i have been seeing more Warios then i would've sometime ago.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Wario's popularity as a played character waxes and wanes a lot. The top Warios have been playing him for a good long while, and stick w/ him even through adversity usually. The nubby Warios end up dying out b/c playing him poorly doesn't get you much success, and his lack of range leads to a greater learning curve.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
Wario's popularity as a played character waxes and wanes a lot. The top Warios have been playing him for a good long while, and stick w/ him even through adversity usually. The nubby Warios end up dying out b/c playing him poorly doesn't get you much success, and his lack of range leads to a greater learning curve.
agreed. luckily warios current wi-popularity isn't as high as Ikes popularity is. i swear i see him in almost every match telling me to prepare myself.

deadflesh

Smash Rookie
your match up list is really good I don't think there is one match up I dont agree with.....

Popertop

Smash Champion
this one is outdated, you should go to DMG's Mathcup thread.

and yeah, I find that he's more popular some days than others. I think it affects my playing too. LIke otehr players steal my mojo and I do worse. But when people stop playing him I get it all back and start three stocking people and beating people I normally wouldn't.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
this one is outdated, you should go to DMG's Mathcup thread.

and yeah, I find that he's more popular some days than others. I think it affects my playing too. LIke otehr players steal my mojo and I do worse. But when people stop playing him I get it all back and start three stocking people and beating people I normally wouldn't.
Strangest Johns I've ever read. <3

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Any tips on the matchup with Kirby?

I find myself playing very conservatively as Kirby outranges/prioritizes Wario's aerials.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Any tips on the matchup with Kirby?

I find myself playing very conservatively as Kirby outranges/prioritizes Wario's aerials.
Lots of airdodging, try to stay on the ground when he is in the air, go for the high damage options when you can like Clap and Fthrow. Just work on getting in close and punishing him, and always look out for his Fsmash. Last thing is to know how to escape his grab combos; certain followups are guaranteed like Uair but most of his other stuff is avoidable.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Stay above him and Dair.
If you stay below him, his Dair has loads of hitstun and he doesn't even have to autocancel it in order to grab or combo from it.
If you are on a stage with platforms, work the Uair below the platform.
Watch out for Bair, it has lots of range/priority.
His Fsmash is very long and powerful.

Yeah I tend to play conservative too.
One of the things you can do if he's forced to Up-B is fart during it. It's better to do it behind him so you don't get hit by his sword. If you don't have a fart, then you can Uair. Or Dair.

Don't linger on or around his shield too much, he has really good grab range for his stubby little arms.

It's a really even matchup, and it can go to percent leads even.
Don't give up and remember that he's VERY LIGHT.

Sometimes I will save Uair and kill at 90-105% (depending on how good their DI is, if it's amazing they can DI it to 130) it will kill faster if you hit them with it on top of a platform, or as they are recovering.

The hammer is really strong, and it can catch you by surprise.

If he grabs you it's easily 50%, so.... don't get grabbed (lol)

wow DMG just owned me lol

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Yeah I find that Kirby can leave himself vulnerable to claps from underneath, so they tend to keep low to the ground for tilt->grab combos, so instead of shorthop dairs, full hop dairs connect well when kirby is approaching with short hopped fairs. the 1 min. fart owns kirby through, so his up-b on the stage is like insta-stockloss for kirby. air dodging did help a lot. mixing up full hopped and short hopped air dodges with aerials and ground attacks and bites helped a lot.

One of my favorite matchups, my least favorite being vs. Snake. I don't have any good snakes in my area but I played a snake in an allisbrawl tournament that was wrecking me with grab release combos and the tilts of doom. SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

BentoBox

Smash Master
^ Ahah really? Does the bite have more "priority" than bowser's side-B as well?

90:10 against Ganon? Lol. If you get grabbed at 80, you die.
I think the ratio is heavily affected by the fact that Wario can CG ganon from 0 to 100~, at which point sending you off-stage sets you up for an easy gimp. And have fun grabbing Wario with your beyond mediocre grab range and mobility.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I actually don't think the bite beats out Bowser Klaw... but I've played so few Bowsers I couldn't tell you :p

The murder choke is really low in priority though, Ganon can get hit out of it by a lot of ****, and bite eats him out of 5/6 of his moves, including side b.

YagamiDark

Smash Journeyman
Why does everyone say it's a 100% CG. It's just a 60% CG on Ganon.
And I don't think it's 90:10, Maybe 80:20 or something like that since Ganon can get pretty early kills (grab release warlock punch lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom