• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik's Needles and Turning

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Finally able to put the new Tales of Symphonia down, I recently got to thinking about the mystery surrounding Sheik's Needles and their very random ability to turn people around. I got to doing a little testing and the results I got were at least a little interesting:

When performed on every character in the cast Sheik's needles will turn them around depending on which side the character is hit on. At first glance, that sounds like a no brainer. You might be thinking "Well duh East, all attacks in the game are like that..." The tests I used to perform this were at varying distances, [In my face, 1/4 FD , 1/2 FD, and the end of the needles range]. At every distance, while also varying the number of needles thrown the opponent would turn around, depending on where they were hit.

On the ground, at "In my face" distance, when Sheik throws a needle for whatever reason the character's hurtbox or the needle's hitbox doesn't register until it's behind the opponent. This is easily seen on skinnier characters, but wider characters is a bit more difficult to perform correctly [by which I mean you kind of have to be in their image to do so.]

On the ground at 1/4 of Final Destination, 1/2 of Final Destination, and the end of the needles range, the attack will simply make the character face the direction the opponent was hit at.

If an opponent tries to dodge out of the way of one or more of the needles, and they dodge incorrectly, in such a way that the needles are passing through them when they're invincibility ends, they will be turned around. The direction of the dodge does not matter, spot dodging included.

In the air, things get a bit tricker. While facing a character who is facing you already and throwing a needle, it is possible to hit them from behind. That may sound a little weird, but testing it on almost every character [excluding characters who have nearly identical hitboxes such as Kirby and Jigglypuff, I would only do one of them.] it is possible. It's best to imagine every character's hitbox as being cut vertically into two pieces. They don't have to be symmetrical, just take the highest point on their body [I can't say head, because for character's like Bowser, the highest point on his body is the top of his shell.] and split it there. Everything in the direction of their face is the front, and everything else is the back.

On some character's such as Snake, it almost seems impossible to hit them from the back, but after doing it several times and then slowing down the game to look at it, I can conclude that the hurtboxes for characters are not perfect. It would seem that some character's hurtboxes do not evenly match the image that you see, but are pretty **** close. [Disjointed hurtbox?]

Digressing, if you are able to hit a character from the back of their hurtbox, they will turn around, registering the needle's hit from the other side of their body.

I have tried this with the CPU [Lv. 9] set to stop and control. While on control, I also had the character walk around while getting hit to see if that made a difference. As I explained before, I did not.

I also ask that if anyone is able to, show me a video or a few videos where a character has been hit and turned around, I'd like to rewatch them and analyze them to see if there is some other type of input that might change what I've said above.

Thanks,
-East.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
So to summarise, if the back of a character is hit, it turns them round. This can be done at close range on skinny characters, if your needles hit the back after invincibility wears off or on any character facing them in the air.

I can't really see much practical use for this, but it's good that you cleared it up, good **** East.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Thanks for testing and posting this East.

Perhaps if we find some use for it I'll feature you in the guide. I am yet to find any use for it apart from using it at the edge. Needle pulling characters off ledges and footstooling them is becoming really fun. Sometimes, with characters like Falcon, the needles turn them around at close range and they upB below Battlefield and die.

Anyway, I just came here to say that when certain characters fall off platforms, well timed needles will turn them around. In this case I believe your theory still applies, in that their hurtbox is still hit in the back, however you're attacking the LOWEST point instead of the highest when this happens.

Are there any attacks that outprioritize needles? Perhaps you could, for example, turn kirby around during a dash attack. That would be neat.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Finally able to put the new Tales of Symphonia down, I recently got to thinking about the mystery surrounding Sheik's Needles and their very random ability to turn people around. I got to doing a little testing and the results I got were at least a little interesting:
You were able to put it down? I'm still hooked on it for some reason...

Back on subject, good info about the needles. My friends and I always wondered about that.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Yeah, I really don't see much practical use for it. Perhaps trying to aim it at enemies getting back [like in Gimpy's video demo showed], but even times like that are limited.

Sinking, I still gotta try that needle-pulling footstool thing. It sounds awesome. Also, I was wondering what exactly you mean by attacks outprioritizing needles [Kirby's Dash Attack?]. Care to elaborate a little further?

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
oh hey east good job maybe if we can find a usefor this you could be the champion of "Silvers Challenge" seeing how the current challenge is for needles go and read up about it if you want
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=213830

and anyways uh whats that needle pull foot stool thing? Is there a vid or guild with it i can look at? (sorry this is off topic)

and i think that yeah if we test it out maybe some re sults could be turning people around in recoverys but not stoping there mo mentom like marios cape so they go in the opposite direction. thats a little far fetched but hey its brawl i mean any things possible! (not litteraly)

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Yeah, I really don't see much practical use for it. Perhaps trying to aim it at enemies getting back [like in Gimpy's video demo showed], but even times like that are limited.

Sinking, I still gotta try that needle-pulling footstool thing. It sounds awesome. Also, I was wondering what exactly you mean by attacks outprioritizing needles [Kirby's Dash Attack?]. Care to elaborate a little further?
Is it possible for people to go through the needles?

I don't know why but I had vaguely remembered someones attack going through my needles. I might have been confusing it with someone else. I probably was.

Top Bottom