• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik's Effectiveness in Brawl+

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Read before posting: I am in no way advocating Brawl+, I have not even played it before, and it basically being a Smash mimic of Melee, there is no doubt I would blow at it. I am just promoting discussion over whether our character Sheik is more effective in Brawl+ like I hear people talking about ZSS being more effective in Brawl+.

Anybody ever tried Sheik in Brawl+? Personally, I think hacking Brawl is dumb, but is there anything BS that Sheik can do in this version with L-cancelling, wavedashing, and increased hitstun? If it's fun, I might give it a try considering there is Brawl+ weeklies like 30mins from where I live. And I know this is Brawl, not Brawl+ discussion, I'm jus askin for some info from those with more experience. I know Sheik was nerfed hard, but maybe she has some stuff left from her glory days ;) Not that she isn't an amazing character now! I<3 playing Sheik!

edit: I don't expect this thread to be too popular either..

/rant and life lessons: Don't run red lights. Bad things happen when you do, like car crashes. That's why the tourney I was going to got cancelled today.. :(

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
of my knowledge in brawl+ there is no wavedashing implimented and

"Chararacter specific
-Double jump cancel
For Yoshi and Ness
-Nerf MK
Nerf Sheiks ftilt"

enough said about how Kupo is making it gayer for Sheik. I see no reason to nerf the ftilt...but I'll tell you why they did. The increases gravity and stun made ftilt more effective on multiple characters, as if they all had a sort of fast fall. If they're going to do that they might as well re-instate the initial power of Fair knockback from Melee to her.

Brawl+ isn't really a melee mimic...it literally is a game of it's on with only past component's of the 2 other Smashes that were left out of Brawl apparently.

if you're going to pick it up, don't bother with Sheik, just use Captain Falcon or some one or Peach yeah...peach for sure

Flamingo

Smash Lord
of my knowledge in brawl+ there is no wavedashing implimented and

"Chararacter specific
-Double jump cancel
For Yoshi and Ness
-Nerf MK
Nerf Sheiks ftilt"

enough said about how Kupo is making ig gayer for Sheik. I see no reason to nerf the ftilt...but I'll tell you why they did. The increases gravity and stun made ftilt more effective on multiple characters, as if they all had a sort of fast fall. If they're going to do that they might as well re-instate the initial power of Fair knockback from Melee to her.

Brawl+ isn't really a melee mimic...it literally is a game of it's on with only past component's of the 2 other Smashes that were left out of Brawl apparently.

if you're going to pick it up, don't bother with Sheik, just use Captain Falcon or some one or Peach yeah...peach for sure
Ah, yeah if that's right, it goes to show I really don't know anything about Brawl+, which I don't. And I thought MK got nerfed pretty hard with increased grav? I was talking about it with like 5 other smashers today during friendlies. they were saying how multiple jump characters had a pretty hard time, and how DeDeDe was hurt really bad by the grav.

storm92

Smash Ace
Read before posting: I am in no way advocating Brawl+, I have not even played it before, and it basically being a Smash mimic of Melee, there is no doubt I would blow at it. I am just promoting discussion over whether our character Sheik is more effective in Brawl+ like I hear people talking about ZSS being more effective in Brawl+.

Anybody ever tried Sheik in Brawl+? Personally, I think hacking Brawl is dumb, but is there anything BS that Sheik can do in this version with L-cancelling, wavedashing, and increased hitstun? If it's fun, I might give it a try considering there is Brawl+ weeklies like 30mins from where I live. And I know this is Brawl, not Brawl+ discussion, I'm jus askin for some info from those with more experience. I know Sheik was nerfed hard, but maybe she has some stuff left from her glory days ;) Not that she isn't an amazing character now! I<3 playing Sheik!

edit: I don't expect this thread to be too popular either..

/rant and life lessons: Don't run red lights. Bad things happen when you do, like car crashes. That's why the tourney I was going to got cancelled today.. :(
Hi, Sheik main in Brawl+.
Basically, we're making her Ftilt a cross between Melee and Brawl's, so you can string a few together while leading into combos. In order to make this nerf balanced we're buffing the knockback of the Fair and possibly Nair.
That said, Sheik is amazing in Brawl+. You can combo like crazy, and with the buffed edgeguarding abilities she becomes a beast.
WD is not even close to standard in B+, but with L-cancelling, hitstun, and various other changes Sheik becomes top tier again.

storm92

Smash Ace
look at this guys signature before you take his advice XD
=P
It's a joke, btw. A fellow B+'er called me that when we were in an argument and I took it and put it in my sig so we could all laugh at it.

demodemo

Smash Ace
yes, sheik would be amazing in brawl+. we can already nearly chain anything into anything in a no hitstun brawl.

the whole brawl+ idea is a bit skewed anyway. it's uses an environment for no hitstun, with hitstun, so its like easy comboing for everyone. i wouldn't be surprised if they find a ton of infinites or inescapable 0 deaths as the game progresses. whether thats a good thing or a bad thing is entirely up to them, though.

storm92

Smash Ace
The hitstun is on a variable, it's down to 8.5% increase from Brawl now, and there are no infinites or inescapable 0-deaths.
The infinites are gone because CGs, simply, are gone.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
yeah that is a plus, Falco and DDD CG's are gone but Ice Climbers are still very capable correct?

I think Sheik's original Ftilt properties should stay, or if they decided to tweak them then a reinstatement of the original Fair and Dthrown grab should come back to make up for that. Ftilt is really her bread and butter right now for chaining into combos

=P
It's a joke, btw. A fellow B+'er called me that when we were in an argument and I took it and put it in my sig so we could all laugh at it.
I figured it was a joke so NP, kek, you didn't need to remove it from your sig

Flamingo

Smash Lord
i wouldn't be surprised if they find a ton of infinites or inescapable 0 deaths as the game progresses. whether thats a good thing or a bad thing is entirely up to them, though.
Like melee? haha

Yeah... I've also been wondering... Have they removed the stupid easy-ledge sweetspots in brawl? So can we like edgeguard with needles and the chain like in melee? (I know the best players didn't but it was funny watching spacies trying to recover vertically thru the chain.)

demodemo

Smash Ace
last time i read they did, but if you really want to know just head over to GD, they have multiple threads on it

naw, melee did not have many infinites, and they were all hard to do anyway. plenty 0 deaths yes, but the combos are usually escapable with DI. honestly, nearly everything can be DI'd out of in the combo videos you see, but conditions such as momentum/mistakes/good reading nullify that.

(sort of how in brawl you have to read where the opponent will go to chain hits, but in melee there is actually a reasonable amount of defense options -_-)

storm92

Smash Ace
What he said^.
The combos in B+ are much like Melee, where 0-death are possible but can be DI'd out of.
Also yes, we did remove the auto snap ledge grabs on upBs.
Needles/chain do edgeguard again.

And yes, Voyeur, the ICs of course still have their chains simply because they have two chars to use.
Can't really fix anything like that.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
What he said^.
The combos in B+ are much like Melee, where 0-death are possible but can be DI'd out of.
Also yes, we did remove the auto snap ledge grabs on upBs.
Needles/chain do edgeguard again.

And yes, Voyeur, the ICs of course still have their chains simply because they have two chars to use.
Can't really fix anything like that.
Wow this actually sounds like it could be fun. Edgeguarding with needles and chain with increased hitstun? I'm there. Of course I'm gonna blow at it, but I don't see any reason why not to try it.

storm92

Smash Ace
Wow this actually sounds like it could be fun. Edgeguarding with needles and chain with increased hitstun? I'm there. Of course I'm gonna blow at it, but I don't see any reason why not to try it.
Ahah, you only improve.
Also, Escape the Fate rules, nice taste.

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
yup i know im expecaly not one to talk but that was, crude. we should respect each other

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
err I'm hardly ever one who gets butt-hurt about anything, anyone says.
But that guy knew I was clearly joking and that his "elitist" signature was as well, so no harm no foul. Stickies and post counts or any of that mean nothing to me really, if anyone is going to prove themselves it's through tournament rankings right? agreed
I could care less other wise, I just think it'd be nice if the Sheik mains pulled together to progress her metagame, instead of just their own :3

ANY WAY....so serious guys.....

Brawl+ seems like a cool idea but it's going to get a lot of mixed feelings from me if Ftilt-Lock isn't kept

storm92

Smash Ace
err I'm hardly ever one who gets butt-hurt about anything, anyone says.
But that guy knew I was clearly joking and that his "elitist" signature was as well, so no harm no foul. Stickies and post counts or any of that mean nothing to me really, if anyone is going to prove themselves it's through tournament rankings right? agreed
I could care less other wise, I just think it'd be nice if the Sheik mains pulled together to progress her metagame, instead of just their own :3

ANY WAY....so serious guys.....

Brawl+ seems like a cool idea but it's going to get a lot of mixed feelings from me if Ftilt-Lock isn't kept
LOL yeah, I knew it was a joke, no worries guys.

I can understand your hesitation (as I'm a Sheik main as well, so yeah) but with hitstun her Ftilt pretty much becomes unescapable. We're not going to add a lot of KB, just enough so we can chain some together into other moves. Plus, we have some sexy Dthrow->Ftilt->Dthrow->Ftilt chains on heavies in B+ that I would be mad if we ruined.
All I can truly say is you have to try it out to get a good feel for it. We've had countless people come to the threads, say how mad they were at us for hacking their favorite game, then try it out (to show us how it sucked) and ended up loving it. Of course, on the flip side if you don't like it, you can simply go back to regular Brawl and if you really wish uninstall the Homebrew Channel.

GigaSid

Smash Rookie
Hacking Brawl is so not dumb... I do it all the time. Plus Brawl is way better than mele. Anyone who dosn't own it should get it.

storm92

Smash Ace
I also prefer Brawl to Melee. To storm92 I am actually listening to "Cellar Door" by Escape the Fate right now, <3 <3 <3! More activity on the boards FTW!
Dam* good band.
I actually got to see them live at Bamboozle Left, they were great.

Also demodemo, its "I sawr a film..." =P

storm92

Smash Ace
You are soooooooooooooooo lucky! What state is that? and what year? Was it with Ronnie or with the new singer?
Ronnie was there actually, and its California.
Last year!
They might play over at Bamboozle this year (east coast), check it out, it's definitely worth seeing live.

Top Bottom