• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik (semi) confirmed

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I think the "crystal" is in fact DK's fur that don't really connect really well between his arm and his shoulder.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
TP_catle.jpg

The red lines should help you see it.
Plus there is a subtle color difference on the left side of the red line.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, the more I'm looking at the Phantom in relation to what we have learned in the past. The more I'm starting to think that there is more to it than meets the eye.... It's probably just me though. I wish Sakurai would give us some more information about it sometime soon....

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing, all the assist trophies so far have had fused fingers, to save space so they load faster I think, but we can't see if the Phantom has them or not.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's not just the fused fingers, the assist trophies overall seem to have a lower poly count and simpler textures compared to the playable characters, not to mention the fused fingers like you mentioned (But we can't really see it too well on the Phantom's hand like you mentioned). Like you said, it's so that they can be loaded faster during gameplay.
The only exception seems to be the Nintendog, however, one can argue as since that assist trophy involves it jumping right onto the screen in order to block the player's view, that they would probably create some more details for it compared to the other assist trophies as they generally stay far away from the screen.
Also, it seems like they have included quite a lot of additional details onto the Phantom compared to their source design. Most notably on the metallic patterns on its armor which where just simple and basic looking textures on it's original design, not to mention the additional parts on its helmet. The extra textures on the sword which there was none in the original and the slightly different looking shield. Then there is the screw part at its kneecap and the additional details at the feet and shoulderparts. The only thing missing is the pink eyes.

There seems to be more thought and effort put onto the design of the Phantom compared to the other assist trophies, particularly on the metal of its armor, which oddly enough doesn't seem to be the case for the metal on the capsule of Mother Brain as they look more like simple textures. It seems to have a higher poly count too compared to the other assist trophies.

At this point things still seem to be a little vague and I think we will need to see some more assist trophies in order to get a better idea in regards to what the Phantom actually is. But assuming Sheik returns (Which I have no doubts about), can we really deduce that the Phantom is really an Assist Trophy? :/

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
It's weird why everybody is saying the phantom is an assist trophy when sakurai made sure that every item and assist revealed had there own pic of the day. if the phantom was also an assist why no pic of the day?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's weird why everybody is saying the phantom is an assist trophy when sakurai made sure that every item and assist revealed had there own pic of the day. if the phantom was also an assist why no pic of the day?
People are dumb.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I still think the phantom is part of Toon Zelda's moveset and it was put in to mess with us.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
And if its a new move why have we still not seen it in anything other than a single pic yet? Why does Zelda have the same pose with no phantom present in another pic?

The point is that the phantom doesn't do anything to disapeove Sheik, and at this point there are far more indications that she is in this game than not.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
That's the crystal of Nayru's

I pointed this out like the day after the photo came out.

http://smashboards.com/threads/zeldas-moveset-speculation.344740/page-2#post-16139636

You gerls need to lrn2read.
also to learn to use the thread made specifically for moveset discussion when discussing her moveset.

http://smashboards.com/threads/zeldas-moveset-speculation.344740
Wrong. That isn't Naryu's Love. The blue effect is the blue beacon in the background of the Skyloft Stage.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Why can't Sheik and Phantom exist simultaneously. I don't think its an Assist Trophy, but I also don't think Sheik will be cut

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I still think the phantom is part of Toon Zelda's moveset and it was put in to mess with us.
That does seem to be the most logical explanation from what we have seen and learned so far imo. However, we will have to wait until Sheik gets confirmed and we have seen some more assist trophies first though.

It is true that Sakurai has been awfully quiet in regards to the Phantom for a while now. Which was a similar thing he did in regards to Toon Link and the Spirit Train stage and Ridley and the Pyrosphere. We still don't know any more of it than when it was first revealed. :/

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One other thing about the Phantom, Phantoms only turn pink or purple when Zelda is possessing them.

Look at the 21 minute mark in this video.

So that confirms at least the Phantom is Toon Zelda in some capacity.

I don't think Sheik has been cut but this whole thing is bizarre.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
And if its a new move why have we still not seen it in anything other than a single pic yet? Why does Zelda have the same pose with no phantom present in another pic?

The point is that the phantom doesn't do anything to disapeove Sheik, and at this point there are far more indications that she is in this game than not.
Well i in general don't disprove shiek. I just find it weird how people came to that conclusion that it was an assist. We have seen many cases that have only shown a move once and only once. (like peaches up smash and lucario's double team (not t sure on that one) and only seen zelda's from what i guess new forward tilt once 2) As for the pose i cannot say that remains a mystery but it is a solid point

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One minute, has anyone tried comparing that pose to Zelda's animations in melee and Brawl yet?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, I came up to the conclusion it is an assist for several reasons.

1) We know the forward tilt, neutral A, forward Smash, Din's Fire and Farore's Wind are back: You won't put this as an up-smash or an aerial attack. We already knew that Din's Fire and Farore's Wind are back, so it would be ridiculous to put that instead of Nayru's Love. That only leave space for the down special attack, but!...

2) "Realistic" and "Toon" art style are clearly seperated. This probably comes from Brawl, where only TP and WW are represented, but it's clearly two different things: Twilight Princess has it's Bridge, Wind Waker has it's Ship. Now, in SSB4, Toon Link is back, and replace ST Toon Link if he is on the battle ground, even if they are not the same Link, and they don't even wear the same outfit. So why suddenly blend the Toon art style with Zelda realistic style?

3) About the redesign, Skull Kid got one too. It's more subtle (more Torn clothes, for exemple), but it is. I guess that the Phantom's design was rather poor, and they decided to give it a more detailed look (I mean, it's the WiiU, not the DS :troll:). Of course, this are just interpretations. But I still find it cartoony, even with it's shiny armor.

Also, but that's personal, I think an AI controlled character would be REALLY bad for Zelda. It would help you land some Din's Fire, but her precise playstyle doesn't fit having the phantom to me.

One minute, has anyone tried comparing that pose to Zelda's animations in melee and Brawl yet?
It's been a long time, but we did. To me, it's the animation when you release Din's Fire, as the dress movement is REALLY similar. Let me find that.

edit:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Actually by looking at Skull kid's design, it seems to be more based on how it looked in Ocarina of Time 3D.

I forgot how exactly it looked like in the original and Majora's Mask but it's design looks much closer to how it looked in the 3D remake. Particularly it's shoes was what intrigued me the most so I tried to concentrate on that (That stupid kid was way too fast and the camera movement is so slow so pardon the bad screenshot) and it matches the Smash Bros Wii U design very well.

Which still leaves the question of why the Phantom got such a drastic redesign. Even if it was due to console limitations, it would have looked more like it's artwork and without all these extra details included in it, and I'd imagine it would have looked lot simpler compared to what they showed us.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Actually by looking at Skull kid's design, it seems to be more based on how it looked in Ocarina of Time 3D.

I forgot how exactly it looked like in the original and Majora's Mask but it's design looks much closer to how it looked in the 3D remake. Particularly it's shoes was what intrigued me the most so I tried to concentrate on that (That stupid kid was way too fast to take a good screen shot of it) and it matches the Smash Bros Wii U design very well.

Which still leaves the question of why the Phantom got such a drastic redesign. Even if it was due to console limitations, it would have looked more like it's artwork, and I'd imagine it would have looked lot simpler compared to what they showed us.
Good observation, I only compared to Majora's Mask Skull Kid (on a side note, this game absolutely need a remake).

I realise there's not a lot of AT in Brawl with some redesign. The only one I can think of are Waluigi, to match Mario and Luigi's jean overalls, and Jill from Drill Dozer.

Not as drastic, though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Man this stuff is getting tangled.

I wonder why Sakurai held off announcing Sheik last time. To build hype and keep people asking questions?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
He has always announced Zelda and Sheik separately since Melee actually. I don't think this is really any different, especially since he stuck around with the Twilight Princess design for Zelda and Link, so there isn't really much need to redesign Sheik again.

I don't really see many people questioning Zero Suit Samus's fate so I think it partly has more to do with the fanbase's own uncertainty....

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Also for some reason people are more excited about LoZ characters.

Could also be just a Smashboards thing....

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The Sheik pose might after all be a taunt as an allusion to how she could transform into Sheik before. Could even be based on her transforming animation from the previous games.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
The Sheik pose might after all be a taunt as an allusion to how she could transform into Sheik before. Could even be based on her transforming animation from the previous games.
No. It's in fact the charging animation for the new down B, just without the magic effects. (Early in development, perhaps.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XedCkXIO7SM

Also, a closer look shows that there are at least 3 different slash types. The one in the first clip of down B, the one in the second, and then the one in the third are all different. I wonder...

Top Bottom