• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Help needed! Vids of the one I need help with...

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Match 1 here...

I know Link Vs Sheik is near impossible but I know there are holes in his game that I just can't see...What can I do against this guy?

Match 2 here...
I finally win one against him, but only because he made a few mistakes...

I'm looking to improve yes but I'm looking for help specifically on this Sheik. Any info you can give me will greatly be apreciated and will help me out...

Zodiac

Smash Master
Im watching the video

1.Learn to do all arieals fom the ledge, you could have up aird him. And Link can juggle well with his up air.

2. boot edge gaurd, yea its risky when learning but once you get the hang of it its a almost as annoying as the shine spike.

3.I know you might not have meant to, but every time you used your up be jumping as a normal attack, a up air to a juggle would have been better. to set up a combo.

4.play mind games with projectiles.

5.You missed a lot of techs, you could have tech rolled and gotten out of about half those combos including the once that got your percentage up there. So start practicing teching.

6. Read lord HDL's Link guide. its here in the Link fourms as a sticky,

7. Dont force any new techniqes while your playing just wait for the oppurtunity.

8. while edgeguarding, stand further away and ready a bomb, or grab(Not reccomended) or. a forward smash, anything to keep him off the ledge, But make sure you do it RIGHT after his lag with his ledge attack or ledge hop, (Which with sheik is almost non existent but its possible) For grab you have to actually start before his attack ends so by the time his lag starts your hookshot gets there.

ShoryuSwordsman

Smash Cadet
i noticed that i alot of the times u caught him with the chaingrab, you knew wchich direction he was rolling to, chased and up b'd so he would wake up in the attack. i personally would've gone for another grab down throw, up tilt into blah blah for better damage. besides, it's not safe to up b sheik at low percentage....but then again, the delayed attack is considered a spike, so, its not that bad. but still, you can rack up the damage faster if you know what he's gonna do, thats my point lol

also, i'd use nair's more often. it has extremely high priority over most moves, so unless their attacking from below, u should outprioritize, or at least trade blows with your opponent. not that im a link expert or nuthin, but it's sumthin ta think about

SexyDoodles

Smash Journeyman
you both had a lot of mistakes >_> you're lucky you don't fight good shieks(dsf *****)

Here's my input:

I don't think I saw one shuffl'd nair. or any other shffl'd aerial for that matter. you HAVE to do them with Link. it makes him so much better. also you used the spin attack tooooo much. WAy too much. It isn't even okay to use the spin if it will hit sometimes. if they're at too low of a percentage, they'll recover fast enough to punish you(i saw an example on your battlefield match).

other than that i dunno. both of you could get a lot better if you keep playing. don't give up!

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
Yeah this is just all technical skill that needs improvement, and reading your opponent. For example you didn't really do any type of tech consistantly, and you had bad DI, which is why Sheik could hit you so much...

Also, as for the play style of Sheik...she's really easy to predict, and you have more range than her...just stop moving around so much and set up some combo.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Ok so tell me if I have the right idea here...

1. Learn to SHFFL...I've been working on that...
2.Stop spinning at low percents...got it...
3.Work on Teching...
4.Let Sheik come to me? As in wait for the time to attack?

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
Okay if you're on say, Final Destination. If you stay still what is Sheik going to do? Throw needles at you that hit your shield? Or approach with an attack...such as a running attack. Your Side Smash and Side Tilt have more range, or heck you could just hook shot. Your side tilt is such a great move. All you need to do is time it right. Sure, it might be slow, but it's got range and good knock back, and it sets the opponent up for a running attack, then some other sword combo.

Or even better, you can just keep your distance and attack with a barrage of projectiles.

What will Shiek do then? Not anything really...either attack from above, or just dodge and throw needles. Basically you just limit your opponents options--and STRIKE.

---

Edit: Oh, and spot dodge a lot more. It sets them up for so many combos. ex. at low percentages down tilt, up tilt, up tilt, side tilt, dash attack, down slam, nair, fair...it goes on and on...

---

Edit2: I was watching your videos again more closely.

1) You're using your projectiles at such bad times. Don't get me wrong, the boomerang is awesome, but not when you're being chased that close. For example, charging up an arrow when you're being pursued? Dropping bombs in the air for no reason? Also, two blank boomerang throws? Come on, now...

2) That spin move is most effective when people are returning to the stage from a side, and are unable to sweetspot the edge...Other than that, it leaves you wide open. I swear, you used that move more than all your projectiles combined...which is a bad thing :/.

3) Down throws are so good. Yes, you use them, but why do you use them? You need to follow up, not just chase your opponent while they're rolling then use Up B. For example, down throw then up tilt them. Your Up-Tilt is so amazing--use it more! You can usually get 2-3 up tilts off them until they decided to DI away or roll...which is when you respond by using down tilt to pop them back up into up tilt position.

4) You give yourself away too easily. Shields are fun, but if you hold it down way before your opponent is even within attack range, they're not going to go straight for you blindly. Just stay still, shield when you need it...which is usually right at before the attack hits you, heck you might even counter it :p. Also, stop rolling so much, any character can break through rolls by just down smashing--as a solution, learn to wave dash.

5) Choose better attacks. i.e., quicker ones...like just your first neutral A attack, not leading into sword fury. Remember, Link has range. Just because one of his attacks doesn't send people flying or give 20% damage doesn't mean its a bad move. All his moves are there for a reason.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
two blank boomerange throws?QUOTE]

I can explain that...You can see my rang very well in that video, I saw my boomerang go the complete opposite direction so I thought it would just dissapear, well it didn't, and I was punished for it.

All in all thanks for the advice. This is probably the first real set of tips and examples...thank you...

Skler

Smash Master
LOL! Aesir wins.

Link's only chance against Shiek is good spacing, and that's almost impossible to do because Shiek is faster, has needles and actually has some pretty good range on a bunch of moves. ccing can help you if they like to dash attack at you, but they can always just grab you or dsmash.

Edit: I didn't see any ccing, it wrecks any of shiek's tilts at low % because you can get a dsmash in before Shiek can tilt again and dsmash usually leads to a combo, especially if they are diing towards you (which they tend to do when tilting).

SamDvds

Smash Ace
Here, you should watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUCYT-5ZXys (Aniki's Link winning against a sheik)

I'm not a Link player, but I am a sheik player who has faced a few good Links (a smash friend of mine specializes in low tiers). Although Link is one of my easier match ups, the type of combo's the Link players do on me are alot of throw to down air or throw to up B...and also where were all the D-airs? thats like...1 of Link's most powerful moves (make sure to L cancel though). also the Up B can **** sheiks recovery even if she's going for the sweet spot...if u time it right even after she re appears from her Up B to grab the ledge, Link's Up B can still hit, and since sheik doesn't have the best horizontal recovery, her only options are either die or turn into zelda 2 recover if theres enough time.

Also, projectiles screw your opponent over big time...so use them! i think Link's arrow is the only projectile that has more priority than sheiks needles, am i correct?

And unless you have a set up for a D-air, having a sheik underneith you is not where u want her...sheik likes to juggle opponents in the air, so try to keep her above you.

I also saw you tried to do the grapple recovery but fell a few inches short...u know u can R-dodge towards the ledge before u grapple...giving u a closer reach (i think...i know this works for samus but like i said i just play against Links)

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
Yeah, the arrows are useful because they cut through other projectiles...even a fully charged Samus shot. However, you have a shield, and it'd be easier to just stand still so you wouldn't have to deal with the hit lag.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
also you used the spin attack tooooo much. WAy too much. It isn't even okay to use the spin if it will hit sometimes. if they're at too low of a percentage, they'll recover fast enough to punish you(i saw an example on your battlefield match).
hahahah. Yea I been there. I'm a half decent Link player. I play against people who know I spam the up b and I usually manage to get them on it anyway. But I make THAT mistake all too often and I'm shocked that I don't get 3 stocked every game :) But this guy's right, learn to shffl, don't spam up b, cuz there are better moves to use, and NEVER use up b unless your opponent is above 40%. if your up b's are predictable, use THAT against your opponent. This'll take some thought, but if you can stop yourself from doing an up b when you feel like you're gonna do one, STOP. cuz your opponent might be playing on it, and then you can fake them out and THEN do it. Link's a wicked good character (definitely beyond low tier IMO) and as long as you can find ways to tack on damage without leaving yourself open, Link has a few good finishers to bust out, including the up b if used right.

Not that I'm an expert or anything ;) I should really take my own advice :laugh:

Clown Carcass

Smash Rookie
Ok ok ok! I get it...stoping with the up-B now I promise...
Good, that saves a lecture.

First thing I took notice of is that you don't use your shield at all, and you don't move. You kind of sit there and wait for Sheik to nail you with dash attacks.

I also noticed that while he was transforming, you simply let him do it. Why not tank him right there and then? You could've gotten off a fair amount of damage before he even had a chance to transform.

Second thing I saw, a lot of poorly placed boomerang shots. The boomerang is a powerful weapon, great for control, but you have to know when, where, and how to use it. It's also a good idea to throw it in the direction you think opponent will try to dodge it. One of my favorite tactics is to throw the boomerang up, or down so it ricochets up, and let the opponent jump their face right into it, which leaves me open for a shffled fair.

Good timing with all projectiles, including bombs, is an absolute must for link. If you can't hit them with that arrow when you're falling, then it only serves to make you that much more vulnerable.

You roll far too much, and your rolling is very predictable. Any decent Sheik could've chain grabbed your nuts off with the way you roll. Roll sparingly, and when you do, make absolute sure that you won't be caught by the opponent, bad rolls = major punishment.

Wavedashing and L-canceling are two fundamental techniques you need to learn, and fast, if you ever plan to kill this Sheik. Though WDing won't make the game for you, it makes shffling much quicker and can be used for mind games. And L-canceling will save your *** loads of times and allow you to use your all powerful Dair with less repercussions on a botched attempt.

Use your grab ONLY when you know your opponent can't get away! There is no way to cancel your grab if you **** it up, and that leaves you open for some serious Sheik rapage. A good time to use your grab is when you shield. Say a Sheik comes after you with a dash attack and it doesn't go through because you shielded, press A while shielding and grab the mofo. Get an little hits off that you can, dthrow, utilt, bair, etc, etc. Link has some badass combos, but you need to learn the techniques to use those combos effectively before you can try them in a real battle.

NOTE on that last pragraph: Watch out for Sheiks dash attack, it will sometimes send her through and behind you, hence eliminating chance for a grab, even if you shielded, You could try anything from a dsmash (very effective), to a spin attack BUT ONLY AT VERY HIGH PERCENTAGES!

Which brings me to another point.

Learn to crouch cancel. Sheik practically depends on knocking you into the air or dash attacking to stun you at low percentages in order to rack up the damage. Crouch cancel that dash attack they all love and cherish and while doing is eat them alive with dtilt or dsmash to set up a combo! This is a wonderful little toy that pisses all of my Sheik friends off. If they can't get me in the air, I can control them more effectively with my boomerang or bow.

NEVER LET A SHEIK GRAB YOU! If they learn how to chain grab, you could very well be stuck for a long time. If you can't DI out of a chain grab, some Sheiks will CG you up to over 100% damage, which sets you up for easy and deadly Sheik tilts.

Use your sex kick! This is your neutral air attack, when you just press a in the air. Shffl that on this Sheik, and they're likely to get pissed! Your nair is probably your best weapon because it has great priority and it also is ****ing great for intercepting a recovering Sheik.

This Sheik you're playing isn't very good, I'd annihilate this Sheik, but that's because I have more experience. Keep practicing, and try to learn to react to they the opponent moves. This makes defense easier and offense much better.

Also, I don't if you are or not, but if you want a good and fast link, you better start using that c-stick for your smash attacks and aerials.

And last but not least, I will remind you that you need to learn how to shffl, wavedash, L-cancel, and aim those beautiful projectiles you have sitting at your finger tips!

Practice, practice, practice. Any good Link player will tell you that to yield results with beast that Link is, you have to practice a lot, and of course with humans more so than anything.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
use nair as if it is your neutral standing stance. dont roll to move around. learn to walk. stop throwing random moves out. the only move you should be using alot for no reason is links air attacks. use projectiles when you have range. not when you're right on top of your opponent. you look like you are trying to take advantage of mistakes that havent even happened.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
i keep telling everybody: shffled up-airs, shffled up-airs out of shield, up-airs in general do wonders against sheik. you really shouldn't test sheik in the air otherwise.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Thanks for all the help. I'm still practicing and in about 6 monthes I'm going off to Pittsburgh. From what I've seen they'll be good people to work with. Until then I'll try and get some new videos up.

Shinki

Smash Cadet
lol, I have problems against sheik too. (My friend plays Sheik and I have yet to beat him.) Yeah you shouldn't just mindlessly throw crap and then just charge forward. You got to think about what you're doing and be aware of everything that's going around you.

I have a problem with not concentration the game and just mindlessly attacking and I end up losing because of so many openings. You play much better when you actually think. Also shieldgrab more, once you get a grab in, make her pay with a combo! >=D. Lookin forward to your next video which is hopefully a win.

Micahc

Smash Ace
My brother just picked up Sheik and I also have problems. One thing to remember is that Sheiks have an abysmal time getting to the edge from a decent edge guarder. They can sweet spot, so make sure to always ledge-hog. If they don't sweet spot, then ledge hop to a d-air or what ever fits the situation. A decent tactic against my brother's Sheik is to grab->d-throw->spin attack. It's more reliable that just spinning. Learn how to shuffle and up-b out of the shield. Oh, and if you get into a tilt, your gonna be comboed to heck most likely.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
The grab down throw spin doesn't work to well becuase he always techs out of it. SHFFLing isn't to hard I just can't do it constantly. Haha and the Up-B out of the sheild pisses everyone off when I actually getmy hands to do it right :D

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
sheik's a *****. i've always been confused when people refer to her as a "he." against sheik, you ask? shffled up-air out of shield ftw--among other tactics, of course. oh, and try to avoid FD if you can. judging from the last few posts, i bet most of you nubs never even played against a sheik that knows how to chain-grab effectively.

omfg, i'm putting smash before ***** right now; i'm late. i need to take a **** break from this game, seriously. see ya guys in a week or so.

shiseiten

Smash Cadet
bombs. bombs bombs and bombs. you need them a lot, they can start a combo, they hurt and... they are fun :D. and also when you dont hit him with the boomerang check how is it going to come back. that can help you a lot if you use it right. it can stop him from a combo, it can stop him just so you can start a combo, an it can make him turn around, something more usefull than it sounds. it stops him from even starting many combos.
and the rest you allready know, nairs, more shield, shieldgrab when dash attack, maby wavedash, and most important, L-cancel

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
Learn better tech and practice more. If you don't have any friends to practice against, play lvl 1 cpu's and set goals to accomplish during the match like "I will hit every tech I make" or "I will l-cancel every ariel I do" or "I will hit with every shfll", If you have people to play with, just play with them. Practice l-cancelling a lot because you will get punished badley if you miss it on Link's ariels. I also agree with clown carcass, I'd kill that Shiek, I've seen much better ones. Just practice a lot.

PS: Why'd you let him change into Shiek the first match?

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
did any of you nubs who posted after me even listen to what i was saying? it's obvious that scrubs think alike; i mean, you both have the same avatar for crying out loud--you probably think link is actually a good contender. i can say with certainty, that both of you have never even faced a somewhat decent sheik; although, you may disagree. however, the proof is in the pudding. learn how to ****ing play first, then give advice; it's not the other way around.

i'm going to go off subject here, but there's a reason why i never started a **** thread: because i knew that all of my questions i could possibly have, regarding link, have already been answered over and over again. i mean, i studied smashboards.com for a good year and a half before i joined; only then did i feel adequate enough to give advice.

overall, nubs shouldn't speak when it comes to giving advice; you should just listen. and just a warning to all of you who think they know what they're talking about, don't try to retort; i will shut you down.

Skler

Smash Master
Link can (assuming you are good enough) contend with the other characters, including Shiek. Be better then the other player/know your matchup. Know when you can combo into a dair from an uptilt (it works on every Link counter at certain %s) and know all their most common strategies.

Everybody who says "zomg i would totally pwnz0rz teh shiek" should realize this guy made the thread asking for advise, not asking if anybody can beat his opponent.

Anyways, this topic has been beaten to death with advise, to sum it all up there's only one way to put it. Space well, play smart and mix up your game (shiek ***** predictable people).

Aesir

Smash Master
Link can (assuming you are good enough) contend with the other characters, including Shiek. Be better then the other player/know your matchup. Know when you can combo into a dair from an uptilt (it works on every Link counter at certain %s) and know all their most common strategies.

Everybody who says "zomg i would totally pwnz0rz teh shiek" should realize this guy made the thread asking for advise, not asking if anybody can beat his opponent.

Anyways, this topic has been beaten to death with advise, to sum it all up there's only one way to put it. Space well, play smart and mix up your game (shiek ***** predictable people).
Or play IC! srsly its like a really boring stepmania song =[

Skler

Smash Master
Lol wobbling. It's so easy to do and gay, I just go Link vs shiek (I used to try counterpicking, then realized my Link does better).

Aquarius

Smash Cadet
the thing i have leared most from playing against shiek is, take your time. shieks tilt attaks eat link up and if your cuaght in that middle range you gonna get stuck in combos alot. to really beat her you have to under stand how link works and shiek works. SHFFL, shield grab wavedash etc.. those are a given in any match, but learn there ranges and find way to conter her moves. trial and error is the best way. if its your buddy that plays shiek, make him keep playing shiek against your link untill you figure it out. good luck

shiseiten

Smash Cadet
**** you, tHrilla, who knows, maby I or linkster would loose to you, but it could also be the other way around. mabye you think that acting cool and like an ******* makes you ''superior'' than the rest: well, sorry man, your wrong. you really think I dont know shiek is links counter? I havent fougth as many shieks than you have, I'm sure, but I've lived chaingrabs, tilts(its shiek, heck), combos that dont let me breathe, fairs uairs, nairs, bairs, or needles that breack my chain, that dont let me come up te stage, that stop me, taking a huge amount of damage for something so simple. but you know? i also have lived this stuff:
a bomb exploded while shiek was doing a combo, stopping it, shiek exploting a bomb with fair, instead of killing me, hitting shieks with bombs and combining them with a little combo or a dair/uair to finish him, boomerangs coming back and turning him around, stopping a combo, or sopping him so i could hit him.

that you think something is useless, doesnt mean it really is, so dont go acting like the best.

PDT: im a noob because of the avatar? xDD jajaja. i dont choose this avatar because i think link is the best(actually, he's not a very good character), I choose him because he is my favorite

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
**** you, tHrilla, who knows, maby I or linkster would loose to you, but it could also be the other way around. mabye you think that acting cool and like an ******* makes you ''superior'' than the rest: well, sorry man, your wrong. you really think I dont know shiek is links counter? I havent fougth as many shieks than you have, I'm sure, but I've lived chaingrabs, tilts(its shiek, heck), combos that dont let me breathe, fairs uairs, nairs, bairs, or needles that breack my chain, that dont let me come up te stage, that stop me, taking a huge amount of damage for something so simple. but you know? i also have lived this stuff:
a bomb exploded while shiek was doing a combo, stopping it, shiek exploting a bomb with fair, instead of killing me, hitting shieks with bombs and combining them with a little combo or a dair/uair to finish him, boomerangs coming back and turning him around, stopping a combo, or sopping him so i could hit him.

that you think something is useless, doesnt mean it really is, so dont go acting like the best.

PDT: im a noob because of the avatar? xDD jajaja. i dont choose this avatar because i think link is the best(actually, he's not a very good character), I choose him because he is my favorite
shh...don't speak. at least learn how to read first. i never said you were a nub because of your avatar; re-read what i wrote, but this time i want you to actually comprehend it. also, it's not hard for someone as percecptive as me to tell if someone is bereft of experience.

oh, and im not usually such an *******; just when im drunk.

Zodiac

Smash Master
did any of you nubs who posted after me even listen to what i was saying? it's obvious that scrubs think alike; i mean, you both have the same avatar for crying out loud--you probably think link is actually a good contender. i can say with certainty, that both of you have never even faced a somewhat decent sheik; although, you may disagree. however, the proof is in the pudding. learn how to ****ing play first, then give advice; it's not the other way around.

i'm going to go off subject here, but there's a reason why i never started a **** thread: because i knew that all of my questions i could possibly have, regarding link, have already been answered over and over again. i mean, i studied smashboards.com for a good year and a half before i joined; only then did i feel adequate enough to give advice.

overall, nubs shouldn't speak when it comes to giving advice; you should just listen. and just a warning to all of you who think they know what they're talking about, don't try to retort; i will shut you down.
*Takes a bow* Thats going in my sig.

shiseiten

Smash Cadet
shh...don't speak. at least learn how to read first. i never said you were a nub because of your avatar; re-read what i wrote, but this time i want you to actually comprehend it. also, it's not hard for someone as percecptive as me to tell if someone is bereft of experience.

oh, and im not usually such an *******; just when im drunk.
emmm. I think the one ho should read more is you. if you look at the messasge, I say:i dont choose this avatar because i think link is the best(actually, he's not a very good character), I choose him because he is my favorite

and by the way, im almost sure I dont have as much experience than most of the people here. so what? that's no reason to act as an *******, (being drunk is)

oh, and if noobs bother you, too bad, there will always be noobs here, and insulting isn't he best way to deal with them, so i'll give you an advice, from noob to noob;) : let them learn instead of insulting them and in no time people wont be as noob

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Im a Link Player. My advice to you when fighting Shiek is to jump with your projectiles, dont stand still while throwing projectiles, like short jump back, throw boomerang, or take out bomb, short jump, throw bomb, double jump, throw boomerang, and then use a melee attack to end the combo. If your fighting an extremely fast Sheik, its best to sticking with throwing bombs, or dropping them in front of shiek, and while the bomb explodes in her face, react as fast as you can while she si stunned from the bomb and finish it with an attack. Link will be alot faster, and less predictable, and you'll be able to set off combos better, and counter Sheik's ability to come up to you fast and combo the heck out of link.

Aesir

Smash Master
emmm. I think the one ho should read more is you. if you look at the messasge, I say:i dont choose this avatar because i think link is the best(actually, he's not a very good character), I choose him because he is my favorite

and by the way, im almost sure I dont have as much experience than most of the people here. so what? that's no reason to act as an *******, (being drunk is)

oh, and if noobs bother you, too bad, there will always be noobs here, and insulting isn't he best way to deal with them, so i'll give you an advice, from noob to noob;) : let them learn instead of insulting them and in no time people wont be as noob

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
lol...nevermind. you obviously lack the mental aptitude to understand what i'm saying.

nubs don't bother me, not in the least bit; i love them. call me a bad person if you want, but i just love to make fun of them. and i don't really care to help others with melee anymore; brawl will be out soon.

D

Deleted member

ok this is wat i would do if i was u

First Video
1. try to stay away from the attacks that link suffers from lag on ie. second fsmash, up B
2. at 27 seconds i would of done a fair out of the ledgehop
3. dont double jump when ur being juggled! if he would of fair'd u, u would of been left with only bomb jumps or a really lucky hookshot recovery Oo

Second video
1. if i were u i would of rushed with his nair, or fair to stop him from getting those nasty needles O_O (link's items r easy to deflect/block >_<)
2. you constantly use arrows :\ , link's arrows rnt very strong when not charged to the max, i'd recomend using bombs or his boomerang
3. learn to tech! i found out an easy way to learn how to tech is to go to hyrule castle with your friend and rack up major dmg, then when u hit the wall press L really fast and Link will stop himself like magic O_O
4. finally i would try to stop using laggy moves like i said the first time :D, his up B is so laggy shiek can easily just get inside your defenses and do some nasty combos

^^^ i'd try that, it works for me :D^^^

Top Bottom