• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Confirmed!

Gundo

Smash Apprentice
I was hopeing she wouldn't be in Brawl... But she is one of the most used characters in Melee, so it was Inevitable. I just hoped she wasn't... oh well. Theres more fast characters now, such as Meta Knight, Zamus and Pit... So it's more of a challange so far anyways. At least Wi-Fi won't be boring... maybe they will nerf her. maybe they won't. Just remember, If you're good at Smash, you can use all (most) characters good enough to have fun with :)

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
ugh, I was kind of hoping that sheik would be out (not because I don't like sheik, but because I think she's so darn annoying to fight and I don't like playing as her myself). As for sheik being male/female, as has been said above, sheik was always technically "female" because she is Zelda. She was only referred to as a male in OoT when you didn't know her identity yet, just to throw you off the trail. I mean, give me a break, whenever Zelda transforms it's a disguise, not a trans-gender operation.

Edit: Actually, I take it back, I guess I'm glad sheik is back. I just hope they "fix" her moves. And it appears that sakurai has been doing a really good job with that (ex: Peach's dsmash), so I'm not too worried.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
No, splitting them would not make it harder for Zelda+Sheik users, it would make it easier. As you are only one at any given time, the split of boards is ideal for discussion of using either one in detail. Discussing using the other in an anecdotal fashion is all that is necessary in the present forum, but extending the discussion into the actual playstyle/tactics of that other character is easier to post, read, and absorb in a separate character board.
By that logic we should get separate Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard boards too. :/

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Even if the original intent was for Sheik to be biologically male in the Japanese OoT draft, this "canon" can still be retconned and no one's really going to care except for people who were sexually attracted to Sheik, as a man. As far as anyone and Nintendo is concerned today, Sheik has always been female.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
By that logic we should get separate Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard boards too. :/
That's true, that is, depending on whether or not that "stamina" thing actually hampers play and forces you to switch. But anyway, it looks like switching back and forth between pokemon is inherent in PT's design, whereas it is not in Zelda/Shiek's.

I think it would be cool if they implement the same kind of thing for Zelda/Shiek. It would add a lot more strategy if they buffed Zelda, nerfed Shiek, and did some balancing to make the player want to switch back and forth.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Well I'd say it's more than a disguise, she gets red eyes (I don't think they had contact lenses back then...) and her skin becomes a lot darker. But yeah, she didn't really change her gender, it was just to make people think she was a man.

If you ask me, Sheik is only really good until you reach a certain skill level, then you realise that you can play just as well, if not better, with other characters too. Sheik is the noob machine, but to differentiate yourself from the noobs, you have to show you can beat her with ease. Besides, this is Melee, and I'm thinking Sheik may have been "fixed" in Brawl.

EDIT: Well it was argues that ZSS and Samus rely on each other more than Zelda/Sheik do, but if Zelda/Sheik have a split board, even if they're fixed, then that would mean all transforming characters need a board too, even if they rely on each other.

As for the image, hilarious :laugh: I have to say that Sheik's are bigger than Zeldas... WTF? :laugh:

DalzK

Smash Apprentice
lol nice pic :D

And yea just because you dress up/disguise as a man doesnt meen you grow a pen*s :p
Glad sheik is back in...i mained her, but hope they nerf her...fed up of people using the "shiek is too op" excuse..

sheikan7

Smash Cadet
Now I hope for those ignorant people to eat their words who said sheik wouldn't be in Brawl..now they're just going to come on here and say she's nerfed or something. Meh, we still proved the point! Our predictions were right. =P

sheikan7

Smash Cadet
well said Zane, come on slower fall time for everyone!? Everyone got nerfed because of that. Peach is going to be even more vulnerable...even though they claim she's stronger. Melee for life if Brawl does stink! =X

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Peach has been nerfed, but thankfully Kirby has been made stronger, so this gives hope for Zelda and other characters very low on the tier list, assuming Sakurai has even seen it o.0;

And I think Sheik will be nerfed, even if a little bit. The fact people noticed Kirby's increased strength from a demo + a small playthrough is good reason to believe that there will be a lot more tweaking that may not be evident until the game has been out for a little while.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Peach's Dsmash and maybe Double Jump were the only things that really got nerfed. Every other move she has is either the same or significantly buffed (with most being buffed, including her running speed). I wouldn't call this an overall nerf at all.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Within it said not to post "new" Sheik threads after that sticky was posted. I'm just honoring my end of the bargain until an admin implements a Sheik forum.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Peach has been BUFFED? o.0;

Well if the DSmash has been nerfed, that's a good thing... but she was overpowered enough as it is :S I hope Sakurai knows what he's doing...

IMO her overpowered attacks are her DSmash, Forward throw, Forward aerial, and rush attacks. I guess I'll wait an see...

Someone said Peach's attacks and speed were upped..but I'm not sure, none of us are!=P
Dude, if I hadn't posted, you'd have done a quadriple post, just edit your extra comments into your original post.

Aesir

Smash Master
Peach imo didn't really need a nerf, annoying? yes very annoying but she usually lost to everyone above her with a few exceptions. She also had quite a few unfavorable low tier match ups.

I like the idea of sheik in brawl, as long as she's nerfed I'm cool with it. Though sheik was confirmed for bawl a long time ago when the designer of sheik gave the rights of sheik link and ganon to sakurai for the new smash game. lol

There was also talk she would be in TP, but that idea was scrapped.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Peach has been BUFFED? o.0;

Well if the DSmash has been nerfed, that's a good thing... but she was overpowered enough as it is :S I hope Sakurai knows what he's doing...

IMO her overpowered attacks are her DSmash, Forward throw, Forward aerial, and rush attacks. I guess I'll wait an see...
I take it you're not an avid follower of the tournament metagame in Melee. Peach was a good character, but not overpowered to any smart player of any character. This is particularly because all of those "overpowered" attacks she has are all DI'able, and don't kill at any low percents without agressive edgeguarding. She was also too slow and didn't have the range to string together huge combos or to catch campers, or otherwise put good pressure/defend herself against fast characters like the top tiers + Captain Falcon.

But this really isn't the place to discuss this now, is it?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Sheik would have been pretty **** cool in TP with that model =/

She would also have made Zelda a more interesting character. Something Zelda severely lacked in TP.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I take it you're not an avid follower of the tournament metagame in Melee. Peach was a good character, but not overpowered to any smart player of any character. This is particularly because all of those "overpowered" attacks she has are all DI'able, and don't kill at any low percents without agressive edgeguarding. She was also too slow and didn't have the range to string together huge combos or to catch campers, or otherwise put good pressure/defend herself against fast characters like the top tiers + Captain Falcon.

But this really isn't the place to discuss this now, is it?
No, not really, I've only really been into the Smash Bros community recently, around the same time I wanted to start taking my game seriously. There's so much on Melee tournaments etc that I wouldn't know where to start, so I thought it'd be a better idea to just be here from the start where Brawl is concerned. Personally I find Peach turnip spamming at the edge of a stage to stop you from recovering is very annoying :laugh: but you're right, this isn't the place to discuss it, so I'll get back on topic.

Sheik would have been pretty **** cool in TP with that model =/

She would also have made Zelda a more interesting character. Something Zelda severely lacked in TP.
Agreed, I was a bit disappointed with Zelda's role in TP, it was very shallow and she was mostly just very mysterious, but lacked even the questions of mystery that usually accompany mysterious people. :ohwell:

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
SuperLink9 said:
Agreed, I was a bit disappointed with Zelda's role in TP, it was very shallow and she was mostly just very mysterious, but lacked even the questions of mystery that usually accompany mysterious people
Indeed. I love Zelda, and was very disappointed with her in TP. She was mainly eye candy. She helped and all, but really, she should have had a more important role, and more interaction with Link. Sheik could have re-created that interaction. It would probably be too similar to OOT though.
TP SPOILERS:

Gotta admit, I laughed a little when Link was standing with Zelda, then ran off to see Midna, leaving Zelda standing in the middle of Hyrule field all by herself.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
TP Spoilers:

Yeah, Zelda got rejected for an imp ;)

Gawd Link has weird romantic taste, first Sheik (in OoT) and now Midna!

Hey, excuuuuuuuse me princess!

Arean

Smash Ace
heck he has shown everyones moves.... meaning no more move updates.. to give room for newcomer/veteran updates?

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
my only comment on shiek's inclusion is that she must be hit by that nerf bat, I dont want to see zelda eclipsed by her again. I could care less about the rest, just that she is nerfed.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
No, I'm sure there will be more move updates, going into more depth, besides, we don't know what Olimar's "End of Day" is, we know the name but not the attack. Sakurai was probably just aware that the Famitsu and CoroCoro coverage had revealed all the moves, so he saw no reason to not add them, just like Sonic was revealed when Nintendo had their conference, and Sheik was revealed after Famitsu put her in their guide.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
On another note, is it only me, or does anyone else look at the pic of Sheik charging her needles, and imagine Sheik has just damaged the ship in the backround, leapt off the ship before it exploded, and is striking a cool pose during the explosion? O.o

Haha@over-active imaginations, ninjas and exploding ships.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
The Dojo has been updated again, now all the characters have a nice little table with all their moves in it :p Nothing else new though. Just more aesthetically pleasing than before :p

Haha@over-active imaginations, ninjas and exploding ships.
Is it just me or are the Sheik screenshots some of the most dynamic so far?

They're all "ooh, ahh" moments. I wonder if Sakurai knew she was such an anticipated character? Still, Sonic's screens weren't this dynamic. Maybe just coincidence :S

hXd

Smash Cadet
Ugh, this is the lamest update ever. Sheik was such a broken character and now nobody's gonna use Zelda all over again. Hopefully she at least gets nerfed.

Top Bottom