• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'll admit first and foremost, I did not expect the reaction to be as positive as I had thought. With all the years we've spent, some of us like me clinging onto cringe conspiracies, others pushing Shantae like it was the next drug, it had what was the makings of a volatile reaction. And yet, here we all are, excited Shantae got recognition, loving Burning Town becoming a part of the game, and honestly the wholesomeness is what makes it most for me. I am glad I got to be a part of it all, even if I was one of the more extreme elements of the fanbase.
I think one big factor with how positive the reception has been was due to just how good her mii costgume is. Her hair actually moves and flows, and her outfit looks perfect. Plus this is honestly the first time we have gotten a semi offical 3d render of Shantae(even if its a mii), so people are hyped all around

Everyone was a little sad but we quickly turned aroudn seeing how much effort she got. Which sadly another big want never got(poor geno mii not even getting a mask...)

I could only find one japanese youtuber's reaction of the direct. I looked at the mii costume part, and it's funky that they listed Devil May Cry and Skyrim as the names. (compared to the character names we got)

For me it was both being glad and disappointed at the same time, not one before the other. It was more than I expected at this point so definitely more glad than otherwise, and the mii costume doesn't look bad.
Thanks for that, more subdued but he seemed happy.

As for that part, thats due to the ESRB. A recentish change made it that a game cannot even mention a M rated game if their game is not M rated. Smash is e-10 to T, so Tales of and shantae could be mentioned, but the other 2(And Alteir and fallout boy in the past), were from M games so in america they had to change the card. Hell, Sakurai said the word Skyrim in japanese, but the translation didn't use it, because that counts for the ESRB.

Its a pretty stupid rule

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Some of the spirits (along with every character and assist trophy) can be used as your in game profile image. Shantae is one of them.
Oh. I was hoping it meant that these certain costumes, when used, were listed as the fighting character- even announced.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
As for that part, thats due to the ESRB. A recentish change made it that a game cannot even mention a M rated game if their game is not M rated. Smash is e-10 to T, so Tales of and shantae could be mentioned, but the other 2(And Alteir and fallout boy in the past), were from M games so in america they had to change the card. Hell, Sakurai said the word Skyrim in japanese, but the translation didn't use it, because that counts for the ESRB.

Its a pretty stupid rule
Stupid is an understatement. ESRB makes it sound like children are too dumb to look up a character's origin online and believe Dante is from the Dante series. EVEN THOUGH SAKURAI HAS REPEATED THE WORD 'DEVIL' IN HIS PRESENTATION, THE TITLE DEVIL MAY CRY CAN'T BE SAID. lol

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
People keep listing that this is the '4th' preMIIum, but I have an impossible time not considering Vault Boy one. Full makeover, and even a trailer.

No? I mean like the way Nintendo showcased Sans, Cuphead, Bomberman (if he counts) and Shantae as deluxe, I can see something really special about them. I’m a strong believer about them as full fighters in the kind of way which it’s not bad. Also Shantae’s design and model is extremely close but the face, I can say its based on her design in Half-Genie Hero.
I don't think very much disconfirms a character- but I cannot see a possibility where Nintendo has fans pay for a character costume, only to make it obsolete by then offering the full character.
Even if it sounds like a copout, it's completely impossible to evaluate.

Clearly Shantae is on the map, she's been featured in Smash, they know there has been high demand for her, and her Mii costume is going to sell great.

But there is no telling what the next Smash will look like. Where does the series go after such an "Ultimate" entry? Can they ever have such a large roster again? How can they balance keeping old favorites and introducing lots of hype newcomers? Does the series need a big shakeup after such a ridiculous peak?

We don't know where the Shantae series is going either. We also don't know what other candidates will be floating around next time.

About the best you can do is to say that Shantae in Smash next time around is neither impossible nor guaranteed. Anything beyond that is shrouded in enormous unknowns.
Honestly, thoughts about next Smash aside (because nothing short of a reboot makes sense to me, unless it is a directors cut- with rollout netcode or whatever it is called).... I am hoping Nintendo owns Level 5 and WayForward.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
What does this part mean?
When choosing your online profile tag for smash (the icon that shows up next to your name when a match loads as well as what shows up on your Smash Tag), you can pick an icon. It’s got all the playable characters in the game, a couple spirits from each playable series (except FF since it didn’t have any at the time), every assist trophy... and then there’s 5 ones that weren’t connected to any playable group. Diskun, Lip, Dr. Kawashima, and the Chorus Kids were at least owned by Nintendo, but then the fifth one was Shantae. Which seems like a strangely big deal given her only appearance at that point was as a Spirit, while every other inclusion was because of their ties to a playable franchise or Assist trophy.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
When choosing your online profile tag for smash (the icon that shows up next to your name when a match loads as well as what shows up on your Smash Tag), you can pick an icon. It’s got all the playable characters in the game, a couple spirits from each playable series (except FF since it didn’t have any at the time), every assist trophy... and then there’s 5 ones that weren’t connected to any playable group. Diskun, Lip, Dr. Kawashima, and the Chorus Kids were at least owned by Nintendo, but then the fifth one was Shantae. Which seems like a strangely big deal given her only appearance at that point was as a Spirit, while every other inclusion was because of their ties to a playable franchise or Assist trophy.
How have I played this game 1000 hours and never noticed this?

Staarih

Smash Master
The Mii Fighters up in the Shared Content-section are often really good, I hardly ever bother making my own as I can just download a decent one from there, looks and moveset and everything. I'll probably wait for someone to make a good Shantae and snab one there.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

zferolie

Smash Hero
Got some memes and fanart celebrating shantae coming to smash

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, she may not be a fighter, but it is better then nothing. If another game is in the works (only IF Nintendo still wants to continue without sakurai running the project), she has a shot. That is for another time, so enjoy the victory.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Neat little thing I noticed, I think Shantae's mii costume is the ONLY humanoid one with ears. Lip who also has pointy fantasy type ears didnt get such a thing. They really wanted to make it LOOK like Shanta it seems.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Weird how so many people say shes indy i mean wayforward is a big studio with a bunch of games under their hood!
They've been indie. Now maybe it's going towards less indie since they're becoming bigger.
At what point is a company no longer indie? I dunno what's the cut off XD

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Weird how so many people say shes indy i mean wayforward is a big studio with a bunch of games under their hood!
I mean even wikipedia calls them an "american independent game developer studio", not just fans. But yeah at this point it's a bit blurry where people decide to call a studio indie or not lol.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I mean even wikipedia calls them an "american independent game developer studio", not just fans. But yeah at this point it's a bit blurry where people decide to call a studio indie or not lol.
Hell, if you wanna be existential about the entire definition, you could argue even the largest companies like Activision, Namco, Capcom, and all the likes were, at one point or another Indie themselves. So yeah, the title of Indie is just muddied all up hah.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Technically, at least originally, "indie" or "independent" games are those produced by a studio that is not supported or controlled by (i.e. independent from) a publisher. So it's all about their relationship with publishers.

AAA games are games developed by in-house (or contracted) teams at large publishers.

Development studios not affiliated with a big publisher tend to be much smaller companies, and often have more freedom and are more informal in their proceedings. Publisher-affiliated studios have to deal with corporate and marketing overlords and all that, but also have access to more funding and resources.

Because of this difference, "indie" and "small" are often conflated as descriptors for games or game development studios, but size is not part of the definition.

WayForward is not owned or controlled by a publisher, and hence they are an independent or "indie" studio, even if they are larger than some other independent studios.

EDIT: Addendum: The term indie makes a bit more sense applied to games, rather than game studios. That is because a studio might develop one game under contract for a large publisher, and then fund another by themselves. In that case, the first game would not be indie, but the second would. What would you call the studio? That's not totally clear.

To use a WayForward example, the upcoming Advance Wars remake would not qualify as an indie game, since a big publisher (Nintendo) is contracting WayForward to make the game. The Shantae games are indie games, because WayForward does those all on their own.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Technically, at least originally, "indie" or "independent" games are those produced by a studio that is not supported or controlled by (i.e. independent from) a publisher. So it's all about their relationship with publishers.

AAA games are games developed by in-house (or contracted) teams at large publishers.

Development studios not affiliated with a big publisher tend to be much smaller companies, and often have more freedom and are more informal in their proceedings. Publisher-affiliated studios have to deal with corporate and marketing overlords and all that, but also have access to more funding and resources.

Because of this difference, "indie" and "small" are often conflated as descriptors for games or game development studios, but size is not part of the definition.

WayForward is not owned or controlled by a publisher, and hence they are an independent or "indie" studio, even if they are larger than some other independent studios.
Probably the best explanation yet

RobinRedHood

Smash Rookie
How come, Shantae gets a song with her Mii, but the likes of Dante and Lloyd, get NOTHING!? I don't get this!! So let me hear it, straight from the horse's mouth!! I've been ABLAZE with passionate Lloyd support, for TOO LONG, to simply be left, in the dark like this!!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How come, Shantae gets a song with her Mii, but the likes of Dante and Lloyd, get NOTHING!? I don't get this!! So let me hear it, straight from the horse's mouth!! I've been ABLAZE with passionate Lloyd support, for TOO LONG, to simply be left, in the dark like this!!
The only time they've added extra songs were with indie characters (Sans, Cuphead, and now Shantae), so I assume that plays a part in it - neither Lloyd or Dante are indie characters.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

EDIT: Addendum: The term indie makes a bit more sense applied to games, rather than game studios. That is because a studio might develop one game under contract for a large publisher, and then fund another by themselves. In that case, the first game would not be indie, but the second would. What would you call the studio? That's not totally clear.

To use a WayForward example, the upcoming Advance Wars remake would not qualify as an indie game, since a big publisher (Nintendo) is contracting WayForward to make the game. The Shantae games are indie games, because WayForward does those all on their own.
Why you so smart?

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
There’s no confirmed reason, but the only Miis to come with music tracks were Sans, Cuphead, and Shantae - all indie characters. Perhaps because they aren’t AAA studios, part of the licensing agreement to get them for the game also let them get a music track so Nintendo could get more value out of the arrangement?

There’s only speculation since Sakurai hasn’t said anything about why it’s only indie characters who have gotten music tracks with their Miis. I mean, they even used game appropriate music for Geno, Travis, Vault Boy, Dante, and more, but just didn’t include the tracks in the game.

In short? Unless Sakurai divulges why only the indie character Miis came with music, it will just be a mystery.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Very happy for Shantae in Smash, even if it's only as a Mii fighter. I already made a Mii of her and I'm going to download the costume first thing tonight. What moves are you guys going to give her?

(Also, does anyone else think there should be a "Mii Mage" or "Mii Spellcaster" character? There's a lot of Mii costumes in Smash that don't really fit the Brawler, Gunner or Swordfighter, like Skull Kid and now Shantae.)

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think we will get the full explaination once the last character has been revealed.

While it is too early to call with Kazuya arriving today, I can say this.

With only one character left, I say that maybe the character will be announced in the fall or saving it for the winter as the last Smash news for Ultimate.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Very happy for Shantae in Smash, even if it's only as a Mii fighter. I already made a Mii of her and I'm going to download the costume first thing tonight. What moves are you guys going to give her?

(Also, does anyone else think there should be a "Mii Mage" or "Mii Spellcaster" character? There's a lot of Mii costumes in Smash that don't really fit the Brawler, Gunner or Swordfighter, like Skull Kid and now Shantae.)
Yeah I've thought about a mii mage for a long time. , and it really would fit considering we do have magic users.

Maybe next smash? 🦋

zferolie

Smash Hero
There’s no confirmed reason, but the only Miis to come with music tracks were Sans, Cuphead, and Shantae - all indie characters. Perhaps because they aren’t AAA studios, part of the licensing agreement to get them for the game also let them get a music track so Nintendo could get more value out of the arrangement?

There’s only speculation since Sakurai hasn’t said anything about why it’s only indie characters who have gotten music tracks with their Miis. I mean, they even used game appropriate music for Geno, Travis, Vault Boy, Dante, and more, but just didn’t include the tracks in the game.

In short? Unless Sakurai divulges why only the indie character Miis came with music, it will just be a mystery.
My Assumption is its Sakurai's way to give the Indie Miis some more love and spotlight. I do hope at the end he does give a reason offically

If we ever got another Mii class, Mage would be perfect, and would diversify a lot of costumes. Quite a few costumes already fit Mage more the sword, like Ashley and Lip. Plus some other characters that never may become fighters could fit will as a Mii Mage, like Kamek.

So, besides me who is ready to drop $0.75 for the Shantae costume the moment it drops?
Of course. What time should it be dropping?

Well everyone, I've made a long needed revision to the front page of this thread, which I hope is all to your liking!

View attachment 321155
Well I am on here too much, and I would be happy to take over if you needed to. I don't think it would be an issue being apart of this and the Pyra/Mythra page.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The Mii Costumes and Kazuya should be dropping in 7 mins. Honestly, I'll play Mii Brawler more once I have the costume.

Coinicidence that King K Rool is one of main and he is a pirate.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
From what I think, it should drop around either 9 PM EST or 7 PM PST. So for me, it'd translate somewhere between 7-8 PM MST or UTC-7
So right about now

The Mii Costumes and Kazuya should be dropping in 7 mins. Honestly, I'll play Mii Brawler more once I have the costume.

Coinicidence that King K Rool is one of main and he is a pirate.
I tried asking for some mii brawler advice on his forum, but that place seems deader then dead

Top Bottom