• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Are you saying you're holding on to the idea that they would show up as fighters for smash ultimate? Because that would be very irrealistic.
The costumes is what they get, where they put the effort for putting them in the game.

Next game though, there's a chance.
No? I mean like the way Nintendo showcased Sans, Cuphead, Bomberman (if he counts) and Shantae as deluxe, I can see something really special about them. I’m a strong believer about them as full fighters in the kind of way which it’s not bad. Also Shantae’s design and model is extremely close but the face, I can say its based on her design in Half-Genie Hero.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't really understand, but you can dream what you want XD

We have one more fighter left for ultimate, probably someone like Crash or recognizable enough, though it's not impossible it's not as big.
And if there is a bonus fighter then it's most likely a Nintendo one they just want to add on or promote.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
There is the possible bonus fighter that people are still speculating about. Though with Sakurai about to wrap up with one more character left for the entire Ultimate DLC, I'm seeing that it isn't possible. I could be wrong along with others, but we have to play the waiting game to find out the truth.
In the highly unlikely event we get a "bonus" character after the last new character, it's also highly unlikely to be a character they JUST made a Mii-outfit for. Like how would that make any sense?

It'd be someone totally new.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I don't really understand, but you can dream what you want XD

We have one more fighter left for ultimate, probably someone like Crash or recognizable enough, though it's not impossible it's not as big.
And if there is a bonus fighter then it's most likely a Nintendo one they just want to add on or promote.
You’ll might get it. It’ll be hard to explain anyway lol

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Okay, so I've seen the presentation, so here are my thoughts:

1. Well, Kazuya definitely set himself apart from the other traditional fighting game characters on the roster, though am I the only one who feels like they're going to need some sort of cheat-sheet just to keep track of all his different moves and how they work? Also, I really liked that Golden Suit alternate for him. Also also, that was pretty cool that they got the announcer from Tekken to do his victory screens (which don't have a jingle to them, either).

2. Mishima Dojo looks...alright. It kind of feels like a mix between King of Fighters Stadium and Shadow Moses Island, so we'll see how this goes.

3. Damn, that's a lot of music! And 8 new remixes, to boot! Alright then.

4. Well, time to address the elephant in the room: I gotta admit, a part of me was pretty disappointed that Shantae got the Mii Costume treatment; I'll ALWAYS prefer the character actually be playable over a Mii Costume (where the vast majority just look like Miis cosplaying as those particular characters), but oh well, there's not much that can be done now. At least we're getting a music track with it, and while I would've preferred "Dancing Through the Danger" myself, "Burning Town" is still a slapper from Half-Genie Hero. Also, am I the only one who misses the days of Smash 4 when Nintendo would provide download codes for the Miis featured in Costume reveals?

5. So, all this is releasing tomorrow; I honestly thought it'd be today. Oh well, I was close!

6. Finally, it looks like Challenger Pack 11 will indeed be the final fighter for Smash Ultimate. Here's hoping they end things on a high note (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Sora).

Last edited:

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Sure, Shantae could have gotten more, but at least you guys can officially throw in your support by getting the Mii costume. Plus her next game will most likely get released sometime after Nintendo's next console is unveiled/released. She'll get her chance next time (especially if they still have ballot results to go through.

Udon really ought to keep the release date for the art book as final though, there's no excuse to delay it now.
Thats what I'm thinking. If we show our support like KKR fans did, we can get her into Smash.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Saw this fanart of the miis and had to share haha.

But yeah shantae's mee showimg just as much skin as she normally does shows that her design isnt too much for good boys and girls
Yeah if Krystal was good showing the most skin in all of Smash Ultimate, then there was never a problem with Shantae haha, i mean she got a spirit as well. Unlike Mai from KoF, who I guess CERO didn't even want a spirit of her… yikes lol

Shantaes reaction to seeing her mii outfit

Now we just need Cristina Vee to voice it, lol

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'm not sure if anyone pointed this out yet but the Shante Mii costume appears to take heavy reference from the official Shantae CharaGumin figure. Notice the hair specifically, the gradient color and the way it flows is pretty much 1 to 1. This falls in line with Sakurai saying he buys and uses 3D figures for reference material to help the modeling team.

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/images/detailed/15/shantae_02_muwd-eo.jpg

In any case I'm very happy to see my ballot vote pay off after all this time in some form.
So Sakurai did indeed indulge in a CharaGumin figurine. Actually, come to think of it, Matt wanted her to be more like a smaller fighter, akin to Mario's height! And Miis are roughly Mario's height. Holy crap, it actually all fits well together! (aside from the Mii Fighter moveset, but that's just the nature of Mii Fighters :p)

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Well...that hurt. Guess I'm officially just waiting for modders to hack the game and add some cool additions like shantae. Outside of pyra, for me smash dlc has just been one gigantic wash. Short of isaac being the last fighter, I'm about ready to wash my hands of smash. I always cared about the individual series these characters all came from more then smash itself, as is. In that regard, shantae has a bright future, with or without smash. And my other most wanted fighters, cash has that rumored cartoon to look forward too, golden sun has a glimmer of hope after the advanced wars remakes showed nintendo remembers GBA. So I guess at this point I'm just ready to move on with my life.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, going back to the apparent placeholder name list, seeing as everyone in DLC so far is related to the characters noted in it, as it stands right now I can safely assume the next character is either from Capcom, Level-5 or a complete curveball like Ubisoft. Unless Nintendo shatters Sak's comfort zone for one of their evergreen properties, but that's doubtful at this stage.

Seriously doubt that KT will get anything more, seeing as they participated on Three Houses.

Better question, what are chances of next smash, this decade?
Assuming that the console life cycle ends around 2026, I would assume we might hear something by 2029.

Whether Sak gets dragged in yet again is uncertain at this stage. At least I'll have Splatoon 3 to look forward to in the meantime.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Honestly, I'm lowkey more excited to play as (Mii) Shantae than Kazuya lol, the costume looks so fluid. The Sans and Geno costumes have made me a Mii Gunner player, might as well expand to Mii Brawler now.
Not strange at all. Many of the Mii Costumes have been more exciting to me than the new characters. Although, I will say that Kazuya looks dope. Excited to try him and the stage.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
now imagine Shantae coming to Smash and dancing with her mii copier.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
What are her chances now for next Smash?
Even if it sounds like a copout, it's completely impossible to evaluate.

Clearly Shantae is on the map, she's been featured in Smash, they know there has been high demand for her, and her Mii costume is going to sell great.

But there is no telling what the next Smash will look like. Where does the series go after such an "Ultimate" entry? Can they ever have such a large roster again? How can they balance keeping old favorites and introducing lots of hype newcomers? Does the series need a big shakeup after such a ridiculous peak?

We don't know where the Shantae series is going either. We also don't know what other candidates will be floating around next time.

About the best you can do is to say that Shantae in Smash next time around is neither impossible nor guaranteed. Anything beyond that is shrouded in enormous unknowns.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There is the possible bonus fighter that people are still speculating about. Though with Sakurai about to wrap up with one more character left for the entire Ultimate DLC, I'm seeing that it isn't possible. I could be wrong along with others, but we have to play the waiting game to find out the truth.
The only way I can see that happen is if Nick is the next character.

I mean, if an appropriate segue is needed during the next Sakurai Presents.

D

Deleted member

You know, it's been a while since I had to face the reality that Shantae has no business being a fighter in Smash.

So imagine the smile I had on my face the second I saw that costume appearing on my screen.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Congratulations for getting a great mii costume + a music track (something which hasn't happened for a very very long time). I'm looking forward to playing with Shantae and I hope that, if Phoenix doesn't get in as a playable fighter, he'll at least get a similar costume like Shantae + a Pursuit Cornered music track.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I watched the mii trailer again.

in the scene where Shantae is fighting Krool you can see a glimpse of a bunch of Mr. G&Ws on the pirate ship.

That's a cute nod to the Tinkerbats.
I'm starting to notice all kinds of little references. From someone pointing out GBC fighting moves, to me realizing that "Yay/Item" pose from the older games being the final display shot with Dante, Llyod, and the Dragonborn. All she needed was to be standing on the ground with her eyes shut.

Khao

Smash Lord
After seeing so much bull**** in twitter and reaction streams and stuff like that, I came into this thread expecting a huge ****storm but you guys are actually taking this pretty well.

Congratulations on the Mii Costume. Obviously it's not what you all wanted, but I hope it's still a fun addition at the end of the day. Gotta say, it looks pretty cute and it actually fits the Mii proportions pretty well. Mii Costumes feel strangely satisfying when they're actually done right, so I might just end up buying it at some point, haha.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
After seeing so much bull**** in twitter and reaction streams and stuff like that, I came into this thread expecting a huge ****storm but you guys are actually taking this pretty well.

Congratulations on the Mii Costume. Obviously it's not what you all wanted, but I hope it's still a fun addition at the end of the day. Gotta say, it looks pretty cute and it actually fits the Mii proportions pretty well. Mii Costumes feel strangely satisfying when they're actually done right, so I might just end up buying it at some point, haha.

This is pretty much how I'm taking it

zferolie

Smash Hero

Maybe I watched different streams and missed those twitter posts, but i haven't seen any shantae hate or negitive comments about her being in smash. Everyone has been very positive.

Where have you seen hate?

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Maybe I watched different streams and missed those twitter posts, but i haven't seen any shantae hate or negitive comments about her being in smash. Everyone has been very positive.

Where have you seen hate?
It's there if you look hard enough. I saw some on Matt's Twitter post that I would put on the "salty" list.

But the positivity has been more prominent then the negativity in general

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Well everyone, it's been a long, strange trip. But I want you all to remember something.

When the Smash DLC petitions started for Smash4, Shantae was just a small indie game series clawing her way back from cancellation and having to Kickstart funding for her next game. And now, she's a solid established game with a loyal fanbase and franchise and the flagship of her company.

I feel like she, perhaps more than any other character, has benefited the most from the Smash speculation and has ridden that wave of popularity to cement her place among the game franchises of the world. She might never be a fighter, but as far as I'm concerned, she's still won.

It's strange, I thought I'd feel more upset, but I still smile when I see her even as just a mii costume. At least she's not trapped in sticker hell anymore.

Now let's remember to be civil, not be salty nor harass anyone, and let's all wait for Shantae 6.

I love you all.

Khao

Smash Lord
It's there if you look hard enough. I saw some on Matt's Twitter post that I would put on the "salty" list.

But the positivity has been more prominent then the negativity in general
This. Was probably looking at the wrong places. I actually came from just writing an angry letter complaining at salty people in a different thread but I'm glad I decided to check this thread afterwards. Completely changed my outlook to a certain extent.

Feels good to see so many fans looking at the bright side for once. At least when it's something that's kind of only a good thing, even if not the ideal scenario.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
This. Was probably looking at the wrong places. I actually came from just writing an angry letter complaining at salty people in a different thread but I'm glad I decided to check this thread afterwards. Completely changed my outlook to a certain extent.

Feels good to see so many fans looking at the bright side for once. At least when it's something that's kind of only a good thing, even if not the ideal scenario.
Heh, glad we helped change your POV, even if it's a fairly localized place. Personally, I was hoping for at least a simple Mii Costume before the final Fighter reveal, since that would be a frankly impossibility even for me to justify a full support for a Shantae fighter. But having such a nice looking Mii Costume without major changes to the core design along with a musical track? That was pretty awesome. I did react with shock at first, but now I'm quite happy with how it all turned out!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

An update for that later this year would be nice, I'm surprised that the LRG stream said nothing about it. WF gonna WF, I guess, but good to see them address the issue.

As far as I see, I'd say it's a start, if anything. Most series fans can only dream of their property getting anything substantial at all so it can get payoff later.

It's already a step-up from just a pair of spirits. Only concern is whether Sak/Ninty would go down the totem pole of big-name West companies/series from the top like they do for East ones.

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
I came here once I heard the news second-hand. I’ve tended to be someone to use songs to express my thoughts on what happened. This is what came to my mind.
Here’s hoping for next Smash, fellas.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192

It helps that we've had a couple years to watch the DLC picks and process the reality that she probably wasn't getting more than a Spirit.

Top Bottom