• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah the spirit argument has been a rule since spirits were introduced even when they don't really mean anything since all they are, a bunch of jpeg images one can easily find on the internet. Nothing that a dev team under Sakurai would even take a minute to implement.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
"Shovel Knight/Hollow Knight/Celeste/Cadence/Quote/Reimu are far more popular and have better games than Shantae so they are far more likely"

Ignoring the fact most of them are one game wonders with only a few years under their belt and no real proof their creators will thrive and continue to make games, YCG STILL havent made aother IP after Shovel Knight and SK is one of the most hyped and critically acclaimed indies currently out.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
That and some who feel if their personal indie favorite can't be a fighter, no other indies should.
Yeah using Shovel Knight of all characters even though he is a response to success story that happened generations before he was a thought in his creators mind.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, this is a thing.
It seems like if you want a show based off a video game, go to Netflix.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Well, this is a thing.
It seems like if you want a show based off a video game, go to Netflix.
Oh god...the only way this wont fail if they go the extra mila to do it hand drawn. The general public won't accept Cuphead cartoon but done in current animation like say flash or toonboom or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
The only real reason I’m saying being a spirit lowers Shantae’s chances is because DLC for Smash had to be pre-planned. That stuff does take a lot of preparation, and when it comes to DLC for something like this, a list is almost always made before hand. Sakurai said that Spirits are for giving characters who aren’t in the game a chance to shine. If Shantae was on the planning document, I don’t think she would have been a spirit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I do think the Spirit part doesn't count her out. Sakurai builds the games to be complete before DLC. There is nothing to say his mind on a character wouldn't change between the time of development of the main game and the time it came to think about DLC.
The main issue here is that everything is pointing to the DLC having been chosen well in advance of the game being finished. A few others and I have heard that Banjo was negotiated all the way back in April of 2018, only a month after the March Direct teaser and two months before we'd even get the name of the game announced.

It's fairly easy to imagine the other character negotiations were ongoing at this point as well. Considering Banjo is a western character, too, he was likely among the last of the characters to be negotiated simply due to the travel and language barriers.

So if the DLC was decided that early, why put Shantae (and Risky) in in the form of a spirit when they were in the process of becoming a full character? Why add not one, but two spirits when you know each DLC character would come with their own Spirit Board?

That's my main issue.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
The main issue here is that everything is pointing to the DLC having been chosen well in advance of the game being finished. A few others and I have heard that Banjo was negotiated all the way back in April of 2018, only a month after the March Direct teaser and two months before we'd even get the name of the game announced.

It's fairly easy to imagine the other character negotiations were ongoing at this point as well. Considering Banjo is a western character, too, he was likely among the last of the characters to be negotiated simply due to the travel and language barriers.

So if the DLC was decided that early, why put Shantae (and Risky) in in the form of a spirit when they were in the process of becoming a full character? Why add not one, but two spirits when you know each DLC character would come with their own Spirit Board?

That's my main issue.
This could be said for other spirits too. Unless something comes up, spirits aren’t gonna be in the game as fighters. And that really, really sucks. Still, there’s always the next game.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Time will tell. That for sure we can't rush to see.

Also, there could still be the possiblity of a second pass if Nintendo and Sakurai are up to it with demands following.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Also, there could still be the possiblity of a second pass if Nintendo and Sakurai are up to it with demands following.
Most we’re getting is probably an echo pass, but I’d be interested to straight up see a second fighter pass.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

That's my main issue.
Well, I'm working on the assumption that the official statement from Sakurai that the decisions on "DLC fighters were finalized in November" is true. And on the assumption that Sakurai saying he doesn't think about DLC until the game goes gold is also true.

Now, it's entirely possible that Banjo was planned earlier, but because of negotiations and legal red tape, he couldn't be finalized UNtil after the game went gold and thus was moved to DLC. It's also possible that he was agreed upon, but was requested to be DLC for a better profit on Microsoft's part.

Either of those instances could be true for B&K while still making it possible that all other fighter pass characters we finalized in November after the games went gold, as stated.

If that is the case then Shantae could have been included as a spirit and then by the time November came around, been reconsidered.

It's also possible that ll 5 characters were agreed upon long ago, but that would involve Sakurai lying to us which I so far see no reason to suspect.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I wouldn't agree with it. Again, predictions doesn't mean 100% true. It could even end up being something else regarding how much preparation was done.
20190707_122619.jpg

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I Know it's probably a coincidence; but Shantae's Bedroom Window Looks like a Smash ball(then again; it looked like that in the previous 2 games), which may just be an Unintentional easter egg; but It'd still be fun to imagine what her moveset would be like(would she have a rechargable Magic Meter akin to Hero and/or Joker to use relics and/or transform into other creatures) ; even though she's currently an equippable spirit. . .

I Think he needs a Break; He's already being pushed hard enough to negatively impact his health; maybe we should just be satisfied with what we currently have; I'm Just happy Banjo & Kazooie are gonna be DLC Fighters. . . so far that's enough for me; the only thing that could beat that; is having Geno return as a DLC Costume. . . I'm willing to take what I can get

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

That's my main issue.
Has that been proven true? Also, we know Sakurai has not thought about DLC till later. Maybe Banjo was the exception? I feel that Sakurai wanted Shantae as a spirit as he couldn't fit her in the base game. Later, once the game got closer to finished, started thinking about DLC. We know Nintendo was looking at popular requests(hence Banjo, and Hero), and around that time Shantae fever was very high. I could see them seeing that and deciding on adding shantae then with all the buzz surrounding her.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Has that been proven true? Also, we know Sakurai has not thought about DLC till later. Maybe Banjo was the exception? I feel that Sakurai wanted Shantae as a spirit as he couldn't fit her in the base game. Later, once the game got closer to finished, started thinking about DLC. We know Nintendo was looking at popular requests(hence Banjo, and Hero), and around that time Shantae fever was very high. I could see them seeing that and deciding on adding shantae then with all the buzz surrounding her.
Man if only DLC was being decided on RIGHT NOW!

Staarih

Smash Master
Shantae in Smash would be the ultimate dream, but I'm kinda on the board of spirits not becoming fighters if the DLC has indeed been picked as early as I hear. A possible second fighter pass could mix things though. Nothing is set in stone of course, and we shall see - the support will always be there.

Luckily Smash doesn't have to be the only thing going for our girl. WayForward is killing it at the moment with co-operating in Bloodstained and coming along with River City Girls, which looks to be picking up quite a bit of attention. Not to forget Shantae 5, with Trigger's opening animation having close to a million views on YouTube (even more on Twitter). By keeping up with the momentum, Shantae has a bright future ahead of her.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, I made sure to check screenshots of the lighthouse:

https://shantae.fandom.com/wiki/Lighthouse

Perspective of the window panels depends on the angle the window is displayed from.

Lord, please make sure the bigger parts of the Smash fandom don't notice this thread and mock it for having a window theory.

He's right. I mean it's not like Sakurai ever broke away from doing things traditionally to surprise people! That would be absurd!
Yes, it's not like people that aren't directly interacting with the fighters in some way can be upgraded at all. :ultmewtwo::ultlucas:

Although it probably wouldn't help first parties this time, you never know, I guess.

Twintail Shantae strikes again on the beach, while Squid Baron partakes in the classic Japanese summertime pastime of watermelon whacking:

If I wasn't educated about the series, I would claim this was related to Parodius somehow. :shades:

"Shovel Knight/Hollow Knight/Celeste/Cadence/Quote/Reimu are far more popular and have better games than Shantae so they are far more likely"

Ignoring the fact most of them are one game wonders with only a few years under their belt and no real proof their creators will thrive and continue to make games, YCG STILL havent made aother IP after Shovel Knight and SK is one of the most hyped and critically acclaimed indies currently out.
And Daisuke Emiya of Studio Pixel desperately wants to distance himself from Cave Story as much as possible without making a sequel right away, yet his newer games can never get out of its huge shadow (although that doesn't stop Nicalis from putting Quote in a gorillion things).

On a side note, a particular one-shot indie managed to get a big deal the rest only wish they would ever have.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/07/cuphead_is_getting_its_very_own_netflix_show

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Look, I never once said that Shantae is de-confirmed because she's a spirit. I never even said she is de-confirmed. I'm not sure why everyone's all upset now.

StormC

Smash Hero
"Finalized" to me does not necessarily mean "the final characters were decided on by November." Most likely it just means all the paperwork was signed and everything was good to go. Character negotiations take time. If it's true that they got the jump on Banjo because he is a western character, I imagine that would hold true for other western companies.

ZelDan

Smash Master

Aren't YCG behind some Ninja game, Cyber something?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Look, I never once said that Shantae is de-confirmed because she's a spirit. I never even said she is de-confirmed. I'm not sure why everyone's all upset now.
Because the benefit of the doubt is something that's rarely shown in this fandom. Gotta be extremely careful with the terms chosen to talk in the forum. I know this all too well...

Aren't YCG behind some Ninja game, Cyber something?
Cyber Shadow. And nah, they're only the publishers for it.

YCG's situation has gotten so bad in regards to delays/holdups that the planned multiplayer mode for SK had to be turned into a standalone game.

"Finalized" to me does not necessarily mean "the final characters were decided on by November." Most likely it just means all the paperwork was signed and everything was good to go. Character negotiations take time. If it's true that they got the jump on Banjo because he is a western character, I imagine that would hold true for other western companies.
Yup. Granted, we currently have no proof whether they're willing to jump in on more than one Western company from the get-go in regards to playable third parties, so that's part of the uncertainty.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Btw, this thread has surpassed a million views. Pretty cool to see. I imagine the whole Smash window thing helped fast forward the process.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, we only have speculation and past posts from the creators to fill the void.

Also, glad there aren't many leaks appearing. More could ensure a frenzy to occur.

Plus, here is a Shantae Artwork for today.
Artist: Tootsietucan
shantae_by_tootsietucan-ddb8sau.jpg

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Luckily Smash doesn't have to be the only thing going for our girl. WayForward is killing it at the moment with co-operating in Bloodstained and coming along with River City Girls, which looks to be picking up quite a bit of attention. Not to forget Shantae 5, with Trigger's opening animation having close to a million views on YouTube (even more on Twitter). By keeping up with the momentum, Shantae has a bright future ahead of her.
Not to mention Shantae also makes a guest appearance in Lab Zero's Indivisible as a party member. Whenever that game comes out!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I think it's incredibly clear that negotiations were done before the game went good, even without the knowledge of Banjo's negotiation time period. It's not as though there was enough time between the game going gold and the "selection is complete" tweet where they could've negotiated for five characters.

I think people hold Sakurai up to standards that are entirely too optimistic. Maybe they didn't begin ACTIVE development on the DLC until after the game went gold, but there's no reason to believe negotiations weren't done beforehand. That's just how game development tends to work.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Most of the fans here react very piorly to that lol. Pay it no mind.

Honestly I think it's incredibly clear that negotiations were done before the game went good, even without the knowledge of Banjo's negotiation time period. It's not as though there was enough time between the game going gold and the "selection is complete" tweet where they could've negotiated for five characters.

I think people hold Sakurai up to standards that are entirely too optimistic. Maybe they didn't begin ACTIVE development on the DLC until after the game went gold, but there's no reason to believe negotiations weren't done beforehand. That's just how game development tends to work.
Yeah i can see that. Its also possible they decided on spirits early, and then still months before gold they decided shantae for dlc, but already had her spirit in game and world of light and no way to remove her. Qe just dont know.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Most of the fans here react very piorly to that lol. Pay it no mind.

Yeah i can see that. Its also possible they decided on spirits early, and then still months before gold they decided shantae for dlc, but already had her spirit in game and world of light and no way to remove her. Qe just dont know.
They don't even need to remove it since all they need to add are her and Risky's Shantae 5 artwork(along with any other main character's artwork from the new game).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They don't even need to remove it since all they need to add are her and Risky's Shantae 5 artwork(along with any other main character's artwork from the new game).
On that note, I hope there won't be anymore delays for Udon's Shantae artbook, seeing as they have to account for both HGH and 5's art. It's nearly been two years since the announcement.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Also, even if Shantae doesn't become a fighter in Smash, she is still someone with her series still ongoing.

If you are nothing without Smash, then you probably don't deserve it.

(Not meaning to every character since some are ones that might not get more sequels. Like Captian Falcon for F-Zero.)

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think if shantae isn't in the fighter pass she has a really good chance for smash 6 just like some other character that would make me more hype for the next smash (like waluigi for example)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
(Not meaning to every character since some are ones that might not get more sequels. Like Captian Falcon for F-Zero.)
At least the Icies get their own 3DS theme. :ulticeclimbers:

I think if shantae isn't in the fighter pass she has a really good chance for smash 6 just like some other character that would make me more hype for the next smash (like waluigi for example)
I will say that Pauline and the Squid Sisters are almost shoo-ins in the Smash 6 department. To wit:
>both are fan-favorite ladies that showed up in best sellers (Odyssey and Splatoon duology)
>Pauline is a legacy character, who ranks up there with Mario and Donkey Kong
>Callie has shown combat ability, and Smash has proven that anyone can become a fighter regardless of what they are in source material
>they can sing!
Barring some unforeseen circumstances, I think they got good chances.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

I will say that Pauline and the Squid Sisters are almost shoo-ins in the Smash 6 department. To wit:
>both are fan-favorite ladies that showed up in best sellers (Odyssey and Splatoon duology)
>Callie has shown combat ability, and Smash has proven that anyone can become a fighter regardless of what they are in source material
>they can sing!
Oh god I'd kill for Squid Sister Duo in Smash, Roller/Sniper combo.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman

>they can sing!
While i agree for the squids sisters since they're important but i strongly disagree with pauline.
Because if pauline is a shoo in for smash 6 then so does:
Shantae
Ashley
Waluigi
Geno
Shovel Knight
Dante
And so much more.
Because while it's true that she's quite popular and is a long time character from mario saga she doesn't have any moveset potential.
Shantae has all the legacy with nintendo (don't forgot that we got a GBC shantae game first) the popularity and the moveset potential
Ashley is popular and would be the second wario rep and she has some moveset potential
Waluigi has all the spin off for his moveset and he's a fan favorite too
Geno has been asked since melee if i remember correctly plus having sakurai approval
Shovel knight is THE indie game rep and he will upgrade from is AT state like others
Dante is quite MY pick but he's popular and his game on switch prove that capcom want nintendo to acknowledge dante so if he isn't one of the last dlcs he's a shoo in for smash 6 .
If we get all this character ultimate will be dead for me .

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
While i agree for the squids sisters since they're important but i strongly disagree with pauline.
Because if pauline is a shoo in for smash 6 then so does:
Shantae
Ashley
Waluigi
Geno
Shovel Knight
Dante
And so much more.
Because while it's true that she's quite popular and is a long time character from mario saga she doesn't have any moveset potential.
Shantae has all the legacy with nintendo (don't forgot that we got a GBC shantae game first) the popularity and the moveset potential
Ashley is popular and would be the second wario rep and she has some moveset potential
Waluigi has all the spin off for his moveset and he's a fan favorite too
Geno has been asked since melee if i remember correctly plus having sakurai approval
Shovel knight is THE indie game rep and he will upgrade from is AT state like others
Dante is quite MY pick but he's popular and his game on switch prove that capcom want nintendo to acknowledge dante so if he isn't one of the last dlcs he's a shoo in for smash 6 .
If we get all this character ultimate will be dead for me .
Yeah, if Pauline gets in before Dixie Kong or Ashley... I may riot.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Yeah i have nothing against pauline but her place in smash bros is less than assured imo

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I dunno, they're running out of Mario characters at this point. For Geno, Square needs to stick their heads out of their asses before letting him become playable. And Waluigi still needs a major role before being considered.

Also, Shovel Knight's not as likely as one might think, if his fans give up on him by 10 years, and he still hasn't gotten more than one major game.

We can't predict the future, none of us are soothsayers (especially 10 years from now, I'd be doing things that aren't Smash speculation in that intervening timeframe). I just brought up characters that seemed likely enough to me, because the current big wants are such a big question mark.

Besides, I did say "barring unforeseen circumstances", implying that anything could happen. Time ain't static.

Anyway, have another Promare reference:

https://twitter.com/kafeinamiez/status/1145889795119316997

Last edited:
Top Bottom