• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
What do you think Shantae's idle animations are gonna be, i think it'll be like Bayonetta's where if you do an attack she'll be in a battle ready pose, but after a bit she'll go into a more standing position.

ok im kidding, this is a kids game with 3d models, i dont think they'll add this
The ones I can think of are
-the one in Pirate’s Curse where she adjusts her ponytail
-one where she imitates Rottytops’s idle animation for a bit

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Dark Lord Vergeben's the exception. He's not just a text leak.

In terms of animations in general, I doubt they'd go far past her dancing, TBH.

As for Idles, I think they'd do her normal idle animation for standing with the full health one for the idle animation. If she gets a second (I'm pretty sure everyone does), I could see them making her adjust her hair, unless there's some other idle animation I'm forgetting.
He is a text leaker who gets things WRONG. Dragon Ball FighterZ for instance. By HIS leaks, we should be seeing DLC Season 2 releasing already, not just finishing up Season 1.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
He is a text leaker who gets things WRONG. Dragon Ball FighterZ for instance. By HIS leaks, we should be seeing DLC Season 2 releasing already, not just finishing up Season 1.
Has he ever had his sources turn on him? Because if he did, then maybe we could see some of his later sources be fake. Ulikely, but possible, right?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Says to not believe in text leakers

One of the most infamous yet prolific Smash 5 Leakers is a text leaker
To be fair, most legit leaks are text leaks. Smash 4's Gematsu was all text. Even the ESRB leak was info that had previously been leaked in text, it just didn't get attention because no one believed it.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
To be fair, most legit leaks are text leaks. Smash 4's Gematsu was all text. Even the ESRB leak was info that had previously been leaked in text, it just didn't get attention because no one believed it.
I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for saying this, given my reputation, but that's what worries me, personally. All of these text leaks don't have her in it, and many have her listed as an Assist Trophy. All it takes is for one of these leaks to be real, and it's Game Over.

I think so, Shadowknight1 Shadowknight1 , but if the purple and yellow chairs weren't a hint, then doesn't that mean Sakurai has horrible decoration tastes?
Youch. In his defense, he is a game designer; not a room designer. And that could be the case, since not everything he does means something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think so, Shadowknight1 Shadowknight1 , but if the purple and yellow chairs weren't a hint, then doesn't that mean Sakurai has horrible decoration tastes?
No they did the same with krool with a barrel ladder and plant that would be in a jungle so the theme in the 8.8 direct the theme of the room would be for shantae givien the purple yellow chairs the Arabian couch and pillow the plant and a supposed gravy dish.

Try and stop me Hollywood because it will happen you’ll see

Btw your in my ignore list

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Has he ever had his sources turn on him? Because if he did, then maybe we could see some of his later sources be fake. Ulikely, but possible, right?
Has he ever posted photo evidence or video? If not, he's just a text leaker, and not as reliable as people make him out to be. That's all I'll say about this attention grabber.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for saying this, given my reputation, but that's what worries me, personally. All of these text leaks don't have her in it, and many have her listed as an Assist Trophy. All it takes is for one of these leaks to be real, and it's Game Over.
Ok I'm gonna repost this one more time.
Get it in your head already!

Hollywoodrok, seriously, you have to stop this. It's affecting others and you look at small things in a weird way, things that aren't an issue in the big picture.

I already assumed that there would be other missing posts, why would you think it's an issue? They obviously remove some when they decide to change them to another time. (though I mean even in the big picture it doesn't matter much if the nindies thing doesnt amount to much)

The timing of things is important too, and by overlooking the overall context of things, you focus on these little things and make them bigger than they are, all because you want to believe in the worst case? for what?
I ask again that you stop making claims as if your conclusions make sense for the rest of us. Let there be discussion instead of making conclusions final, or at least keep them to yourself if you want to believe something we dont want to.

A1Again

Smash Cadet
So here’s a topic I don’t think we’ve talked about, if Shantae managed to branch out into different game genres, what kind of games you want to see her take on?
Either an rpg or a Warriors style game. Imagine plowing through thousands of Tinkerbats with Rottytops...

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
So here’s a topic I don’t think we’ve talked about, if Shantae managed to branch out into different game genres, what kind of games you want to see her take on?
Well, duh, a 3D platformer of course. It'd be so cool, if done right. Seeing Rottytops in 3D would be amazing!

Although, that isn't the most likely genre the franchise would branch out into. I think a Shantae RPG could most definitely work. They could develop the world and characters in so many new ways! Except, I wouldn't want Rottytops to be on my party or anything. I don't want to watch her get hurt. :(

Either an rpg or a Warriors style game. Imagine plowing through thousands of Tinkerbats with Rottytops...
Adopt me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Open world rpg with lots of rottytops in the story

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
re: negative/leak talk

Any leak on 4chan can be dismissed as fake until proven true. Some photo leaks I believe are good to keep in mind, except some extremely blurry ones plus ones with models that seem to be from existing assets, and even the photos you might decide to keep in mind are extremely rare.

Vergeben, assuming he's legit, could end up with incorrect info from his sources, and since he doesn't know everything, there's no reason to be worried about him. There's no reason to be worried about Shantae or any character's chances in general just because of leaks, and Shantae's chances seem to be big anyway.

personally I only hope Vergeben's SE character (pls Geno) and Minecraft content leaks are true, though I do think Incineroar would be cool (but I also want Gengar).

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
A turn-based RPG would be pretty fun. You start with Shantae then eventually recruit a party made up of the usual crew (and a few secret characters) Maybe defeating the Barons would let you use them as summons. And characters could upgrade when certain items are acquired (animal dances for Shantae, weapon upgrades for Bolo, a bird whistle for Sky, and coffee for Rottytops)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
But yeah, I could definitely see Shantae in an RPG, what style of RPG would suit her series? Maybe something like Mario & Luigi or Paper Mario?

Also as silly as this is, maybe for those who miss the bellydancing, maybe Shantae could also star in a rhythm game akin to the Persona Dancing series.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Here's some Shantae news!
PC's hitting Japan (again) on Switch on the 25th!

Okay now THAT'S a big think, PC gets announced for a JP re-release and then a leak says we're getting a big info dump the day before......
View attachment 169175
Hmmm...
thats weird that its hitting Japan at that time on the Switch...but hell that DOES line up with this supposed leak for a Smash reveal on the 25th or so.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
re: negative/leak talk

Any leak on 4chan can be dismissed as fake until proven true. Some photo leaks I believe are good to keep in mind, except some extremely blurry ones plus ones with models that seem to be from existing assets, and even the photos you might decide to keep in mind are extremely rare.

Vergeben, assuming he's legit, could end up with incorrect info from his sources, and since he doesn't know everything, there's no reason to be worried about him. There's no reason to be worried about Shantae or any character's chances in general just because of leaks, and Shantae's chances seem to be big anyway.

personally I only hope Vergeben's SE character (pls Geno) and Minecraft content leaks are true, though I do think Incineroar would be cool (but I also want Gengar).
^ This. Don't give up on Shantae until she is actually deconfirmed. And even still you could advocate for her to be upgraded via DLC ballot votes, if the situation ever arises.

Just don't give up on your character, I have seen too many support threads do that.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
But yeah, I could definitely see Shantae in an RPG, what style of RPG would suit her series? Maybe something like Mario & Luigi or Paper Mario?

Also as silly as this is, maybe for those who miss the bellydancing, maybe Shantae could also star in a rhythm game akin to the Persona Dancing series.
Who said she wouldn't be bellydancing in the RPG?

Wouldn't that be how she initiated most of her attacks? Her animal transformations would have to be included in some way, shape or form at least, it's one of her most iconic attributes. I'd say most of her attacks are based off them.

I could see bits of the pirate gear making it in as items, off to the side, not too important. Or the exact opposite could work too! :D
Or maybe even Risky joins the party at some point, and uses the gear as her primary attacks.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

Well, when I was first conceiving I was thinking something in between Mario RPG and Papermario. But with the right gameplay you could make most any of it work.

And a Shantae rhythm dance game could be really cool (especially if it has a dress up mechanic where certain outfits give different bonuses or appeal to different audiences)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I think so Shadowknight, but how would we get Carmen and Waldo to go on a date if no one can ever find them?
Nice joke, but, for goodness sake, his name is Wally, not Waldo.

And a Shantae rhythm dance game could be really cool (especially if it has a dress up mechanic where certain outfits give different bonuses or appeal to different audiences)
It wouldn't just be Shantae dancing, would it? :(

Her dressing up as Rotty would be just no good, it wouldn't be the real deal.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Here's something, do you think Sakurai and the team would make Shantae's idle pose shift depending on the amount of damage she has?

In her games she has as I've noticed (recently mind you, though I do remember them I didn't actually fully recognize them till quite recently for myself) she has three poses, one for full health with no damage taken where she is kind of bouncing back and forth with upper torso swinging. One after she has taken any amount of damage, which is a battle ready stance with abit less energy than her first stance, and a stance when she is low on health with her looking tired and holding one arm.

I cant think of any other character currently in Smash who has shifting idle poses based on their current status in their own games so I cant say she WOUDLNT have such an implementation based on other not having it. I'd think it be super neat detail much like what Bayonetta has for all her little things in Smash.

0% first post
.5 - 99.5 second pose
100%+ third pose

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Who said she wouldn't be bellydancing in the RPG?

Wouldn't that be how she initiated most of her attacks? Her animal transformations would have to be included in some way, shape or form at least, it's one of her most iconic attributes. I'd say most of her attacks are based off them.

I could see bits of the pirate gear making it in as items, off to the side, not too important. Or the exact opposite could work too! :D
Or maybe even Risky joins the party at some point, and uses the gear as her primary attacks.
I didn’t mean that, I meant in general for the belly dancing

In terms of her in battle, say she was in a party of 4 with her friends, I see it having a similar formula with Paper Mario with her having the most versatility in her actions though I’d want her friends to have a little more actions compared to the PM partners

Course not, I could see a number of characters each with their own dancing style like in those Persona games

And I definitely see a costume mechanic for that as well

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Wally is ****, based US name FTW!

Here's some item ideas from Shantae I thought of
Float Muffin, a holdable item that for a short time, bounces you back after falling towards a bottomoless for a certain length of time, the game recognizes you are under one and you bounce off the muffin or whatever it was in the first game.

Monster Milk/Super Monster Milk: Buffs your attack by 200 or 300% briefly.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Welp, I threw someone a dead meme mocking the Text Leaker (more specifically 4chan leakers) and it already is starting to hit the snafu point.
Help.
I have no idea what you just said, but I like the term 'snafu point'.
That's all :)

Good night y'all. Dream of Shantae (& friends) :happysheep:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Wally is ****, based US name FTW!

Here's some item ideas from Shantae I thought of
Float Muffin, a holdable item that for a short time, bounces you back after falling towards a bottomoless for a certain length of time, the game recognizes you are under one and you bounce off the muffin or whatever it was in the first game.

Monster Milk/Super Monster Milk: Buffs your attack by 200 or 300% briefly.
I’m a little shocked we got the Death’s Scythe as an item so I don’t think it’d be too out of reach for an item from this series as well, I could see the Monster Milk™ in, I’m wondering if a Pike Ball would be too OP

Oh, well then that'd be great!

Especially if they were able to dance in their space princess outfits, and swimsuits! Which characters would be dancing anyway? Could Tuki and the Squidsmith join in too? :D
Dunno about Tuki considering the lack of legs (maybe she could be DJ)

I definitely see a priority of the female cast + Bolo, Of the top of my head I see Shantae, Rotty, Sky, Risky, Twitch, Vinegar, Holly, though I could see some of the other guys like Mimic, Abner and Poe (ftr I mean all these characters would have more or less their own dance styles)

G’ Night PaluTeeba

Pls don’t hate me

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
This would be a pretty good soundtrack to boogie to if Shantae makes it in. Well, that is to me, of course, because I'm enthralled in the XCOM 2 version of UFO Defense's OST. It would certainly be a Shantae soundtrack that we'd actually boogie down to, but hey, I can celebrate the way I want to celebrate :p

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Oh geez, I just had a worse thought.

What if... Bolo and Uncle Mimic were to wear them! :nervous:
No.
No.
No™.
I was so glad that was avoided in that section of Pirate’s Curse, I rescued Sky and Rottytops first and was thinking to myself “Please don’t be Bolo in a bikini” when I unlocked the third door

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Goodnight momma. :3
Oh and mommy, can I sleep with you tonight? I wanna cuddle.

No.
No.
No™.
I was so glad that was avoided in that section of Pirate’s Curse, I rescued Sky and Rottytops first and was thinking to myself “Please don’t be Bolo in a bikini” when I unlocked the third door
Yeah, I'm sorry for putting that image in your head.

I hope you're going to be able to get at least some sleep tonight. I know I won't anymore!

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

What's a game without unlockable characters?

Top Bottom