• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Also, I'm not sure if this got brought up during the several pages I missed, but yesterday was Minecon and lots of people were expecting there to be an announcement of Steve? being playable in Smash during the event.

So that's at least one bullet we avoided.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Also, I'm not sure if this got brought up during the several pages I missed, but yesterday was Minecon and lots of people were expecting there to be an announcement of Steve? being playable in Smash during the event.

So that's at least one bullet we avoided.
I'm still not sold on Steven's inclusion yet, but I seriously don't think that any major Smash reveals would happen outside of Nintendo Directs or events. Nintendo is aware of how fast news spreads on the internet and like to be polite by giving a fair heads-up first before revealing anything Smash related. Which means no reveals on anything that Nintendo fans aren't expected to keep their eyes on. People made the same speculation for EVO but the Smash Direct was only announced instead, so that people could properly schedule watching it instead of "And suddenly five new characters!" spam all over the internet.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm still not sold on Steven's inclusion yet, but I seriously don't think that any major Smash reveals would happen outside of Nintendo Directs or events. Nintendo is aware of how fast news spreads on the internet and like to be polite by giving a fair heads-up first before revealing anything Smash related. Which means no reveals on anything that Nintendo fans aren't expected to keep their eyes on. People made the same speculation for EVO but the Smash Direct was only announced instead, so that people could properly schedule watching it instead of "And suddenly five new characters!" spam all over the internet.
Oh, I wasn't expecting it to happen, I'm just glad it didn't all the same. I like Minecraft a lot. Bought it on the pc years ago and got it again on the Switch, but I hate the idea of Steve? being playable in Smash. He would just look so ugly and out of place. And I mean, he doesn't even represent Minecraft well because the first thing you do in minecraft is pick a more interesting skin so you don't have to even look at the guy.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Hey Makai Wars Makai Wars do you have a gallery of some kind? Pixiv, deviantArt, or something like that?

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Good morning everyone. Where is my daily Rotty gifs??!?!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know if Shantae get's in the roster, her popularity will skyrocket and a lot more people will check out her games because of her being in Smash. This might sound like a stupid question, but can a Indie company evolve into a 3rd party or 2nd party company?

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Good morning!
Great daily Rotty gifs. Can't wait for tomorrow's batch.

I know if Shantae get's in the roster, her popularity will skyrocket and a lot more people will check out her games because of her being in Smash. This might sound like a stupid question, but can a Indie company involve into a 3rd party or 2nd party company?
If WayForward is able to publish physical copies themselves without the help of either another publisher or donations then they will essentially become a 3rd party platform. I hope they do since lots of the current 3rd party publishers are doing a lot of scummy practices.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Great daily Rotty gifs. Can't wait for tomorrow's batch.

If WayForward is able to publish physical copies themselves without the help of either another publisher or donations then they will essentially become a 3rd party platform. I hope they do since lots of the current 3rd party publishers are doing a lot of scummy practices.
The future is going to be very bright for Shantae fans if she get's in. :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
So did I miss anything big the last... 10 pages. Man you guys go way too fast haha

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Here's some recent shantae art I did...

Every day till Wayforward says something about Smash :')
On Twitter, right? What's your name, I want to just look at them. I have a twitter that I use solely to watch my favorite band. So I'll use it to view your awesome Shantae art.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Nice to see some positivity again. : 3

Welp, it's the beginning of October now, so let me ask something
How many Announcement Reels do you think are left?
And when do you think will they come?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I know if Shantae get's in the roster, her popularity will skyrocket and a lot more people will check out her games because of her being in Smash. This might sound like a stupid question, but can a Indie company evolve into a 3rd party or 2nd party company?
Mojang evolved from an indie company to basically a Microsoft 1st Party company through Microsoft's acquisition of Minecraft. So it can happen to Shantae, though I think Nintendo would not buy WayForward, but rather just let them grow into a 3rd party if Smash Ultimate really does well. Hopefully not big enough that EA will take notice, but they're likely to grow.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Finally tried the original game last night.

You know, the lives system has it's perks. Dying from losing all your health is indistinguishable from falling in a pit. The latter's annoying in large outdoors, but is mitigated by the 3DS restore points. And dying in a dungeon doesn't instantly mean a trip back to the last save point, so you can immediately retry what enemy killed you with full health.

I also sense the Capcom work ethic in earning the right to fast-travel. But I am a Monster Hunter. I'll manage.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Oh yeah no you're right, looking back the arguments for Ashley were boiled down to her being a relevancy pick like Isabelle. Meanwhile we have a whole spreadsheet of various pieces of evidence all pointing to the exact same concusion.

I just...don't want to go "SHE'S IN, 100%" only for her to get in as like, an Assist and then this thread has to get locked because all the anti-Shantae people that you know are lurking this thread will roll up to laugh at all of us. Basically I'm paranoid, hahaha.
And I'd be the one guy who's right but isn't happy about it.

It's always a good thing to keep your expectations reigned in, but for now I'm feeling pretty positive. I mean all this weird stuff surrounding Shantae and the only thing that explains ALL of it (as in there are other outcomes that would explain MOST of these occurrences, but one or two things would still be left out) is her being a fighter in the game.
There's also the possibility of us being wrong on some fronts. Basically, I'm in the same boat as Makai Wars Makai Wars .

I think it's just gonna be the October/November Direct, with 1 non-echo newcomer (2 if we get lucky, but definitely not more than 3 [The only reason I'd go that far is because Vergeben leaked a SE rep]). After all, Sakurai said to not expect too many newcomers and that there wouldn't be newcomer reveals all the way up to release.

Edit: INB4 people hate on me for being negative.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman

If the mode is actually "Spirits" then I could see something happening toward the end of October. That one we'd receive 2-3 characters. Then we have a month left. If they understand how American sales work they'd probably do something right before thanksgiving. This would allow a spike in sales for Black Friday and Christmas shopping. Then a week or so before to pump up a lot of hype. Hype so big that it would stay fresh in the consumer mind up until release. This may be the character(s) that the collective lose their minds for.

the psychology of marketing is so interesting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Words are malleable.
What "Not too many new characters" and "slowed down reveals" mean, is up to personal interpretation.
Your definition of "Not too many/slowed down" could be vastly different from Sakurai's.
So in the end, it's not really helpful.

As for leaks:
We have yet to see proof, whether they have legit sources or just had lucky guesses.
Again, only official announcements and words from the creator's matter.
How often do I have to repeat that?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Words are malleable.
What "Not too many new characters" and "slowed down reveals" mean, is up to personal interpretation.
Your definition of "Not too many/slowed down" could be vastly different from Sakurai's.
So in the end, it's not really helpful.

As for leaks:
We have yet to see proof, whether they have legit sources or just had lucky guesses.
Again, only official announcements and words from the creator's matter.
How often do I have to repeat that?
Considering us lot, quite a bit. In the infuriating sense because while we already know the words, we don't preach those words.

zferolie

Smash Hero
You guys Sakurai never said slow down character reveals. He said slow down reveal TRAILERS. So I think we may see some echos show up before we get any new unique fighters with trailers.

So I'm thinking in October we may just get a drop of a few echos, Like, Stay tuned for tommorow for 3 new character characters. or something.

Then Late October or November we'll get another smash focused direct with more new comers. I'm still expecting 3-5 more unique newcomers. And probably more Echos then I was first thinking. Like, 5 Unqiue and 7 echos.

Unique: Shantae, Geno, Pokemon, Rhythm Girl, Lip OR Reimu Hakurei

Echo: Medusa, Ken, Shadow, Ms Pack Ma, Black Shadow, Impa, Dixie Kong.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
You guys Sakurai never said slow down character reveals. He said slow down reveal TRAILERS. So I think we may see some echos show up before we get any new unique fighters with trailers.

So I'm thinking in October we may just get a drop of a few echos, Like, Stay tuned for tommorow for 3 new character characters. or something.

Then Late October or November we'll get another smash focused direct with more new comers. I'm still expecting 3-5 more unique newcomers. And probably more Echos then I was first thinking. Like, 5 Unqiue and 7 echos.

Unique: Shantae, Geno, Pokemon, Rhythm Girl, Lip OR Reimu Hakurei

Echo: Medusa, Ken, Shadow, Ms Pack Ma, Black Shadow, Impa, Dixie Kong.
Heh, that's a nice selection there.

You have really good tastes. ;)

Okay here's a hypothetical for you all, so worst case scenario Shantae is not in Smash Ultimate whatsoever. What fighter (if any) would you take as a consolation prize? For me personally, if Shantae wasn't in but Joker from Persona 5 was playable I would eat my laptop out of sheer hype.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Okay here's a hypothetical for you all, so worst case scenario Shantae is not in Smash Ultimate whatsoever. What fighter (if any) would you take as a consolation prize? For me personally, if Shantae wasn't in but Joker from Persona 5 was playable I would eat my laptop out of sheer hype.
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)

ayumibanner_zps0a15f498.png

I'd Also be Happy with
Reimu (Touhou)
Amy Rose (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
Lip (Panel De Pon)
Toadette (Super Mario Bros.)
Tiki (Fire Emblem)
Eirika (Fire Emblem)
Micaiah (Fire Emblem)
Azure (Fire Emblem)
Faye (Fire Emblem)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Still got Rayman as my backup want. Gotta keep chasing the dream...

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Um, Isaac, Reimu, Twili Midna, Ayumi and Geno come to mind there.

And Rotty, of course.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Wonder Red. It is a crime that more people are not talking about him and his wonderful game.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Bandana Dee. Kirby is underrepresented and Modern Kirby is really underrepresented. Unlike other Kirby candidates, he's a recurring character who actually has played important roles in the series. The only reason he's hated (of course the two characters I want are the two that nearly everyone who isn't in their specific support threads hates) is because people put too much emphasis on the "Hat Goomba" argument without actually looking into the character.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee. Kirby is underrepresented and Modern Kirby is really underrepresented. Unlike other Kirby candidates, he's a recurring character who actually has played important roles in the series. The only reason he's hated (of course the two characters I want are the two that nearly everyone who isn't in their specific support threads hates) is because people put too much emphasis on the "Hat Goomba" argument without actually looking into the character.
Eh, I'm not his biggest fan, I'd much rather Marx, but I still respect your opinion.

I don't hate any characters!

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
If Shantae's not in the base roster, I'd happily take Banjo-Kazooie, Dixie Kong, and Impa as a consolation prize.

Remember, if she's not in the base roster, there's still a good chance of her being DLC.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So If Shantae is not in, I still got a bunch of other unique wants.

Reimu, Geno, Isaac, Rhythm Girl, Lip, Ayumi, Donbe and Hikari, Gardevioir

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't believe in a character you want in being a consolation. Wouldn't you be setting yourself for even bigger disappointment with that mentality?

The only thing I'd really call consolation is playing characters that already are in the game.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
For me, no-one. My hopes for this game being something I enjoy more than say melee or Project M are so low that she is the only reason I am excited for this game. Sorry to be that guy.

Swade

Smash Apprentice
Well I already have Inkling and King K. Rool. And sadly Shovel Knight is an assist trophy...So these are the ones I have left.

1.Banjo & Kazooie (They're my real second choice after Shantae)
2.Tails from Sonic The Hedgehog
3.Dr. Robotnik from Sonic The Hedgehog
4.Rundas from Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
5.Klonoa from The Klonoa series.
6.Sora from Kingdom Hearts
7.Doomguy/Doom Slayer from DOOM
8.Conker from Conkers Bad Fur Day (now that's a real stretch right there)
9.Spyro from The Spyro series
10.Lanky Kong from Donkey Kong Series.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
So not really related to Shantae, but I was browsing through Warioware fanart earlier, and I came across this picture of Penny Crygor from
Bunnyhana:

View attachment 167603

I dunno if it’s just the style that’s making me think this, but does anyone else think she wouldn’t look too out of place in a Wayforward game? I think it’d be interesting seeing the Warioware cast interacting with the Shantae cast.
She'd fit in pretty well. And hey, I've been wanting a Wario/Shantae crossover ever since I played Pirate's Curse. I'd love to see interactions between Wario and Shantae, Syrup and Risky, Dr. Crygor and Mimic, Ashley and Rotty, Waluigi and Sky...
Well, I kinda already got my consolation prizes... :ultwolf::ultpichu::ultridley::ultkrool::ultinkling::ultdarksamus: But if Shantae didn't make it, Spring Man or Medusa would cheer me up.

Top Bottom