• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Tangent, but I dislike this "die" meme. Characters aren't really dying and the hyperbole around the "violence" is something that bothers me profusely. No offense to you, but I had to get that off my chest.
Well...Mega Man got tail shanked. Mario too, I guess? Kinda harder to tell what happened there. And Luigi had his soul ripped out by Death/Grim Reaper. However, I think those were both coincidental and the trend was bucked during K. Rool's reveal since the only act of violence was one King dethroning the Penguin King of Trolldom.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Like I said earlier, I feel a Smash Direct is gonna be our best shot.
Here's hoping it's sooner than later, say October as opposed to November.

This was the day all leaks were publicly and brutally executed. And you know what? I'm really happy about that.

Why?

This will change everything going into the next Smash direct, whenever it appears. Nothing has changed for Shantae.
Unfortunately only *most* were taken out back and shot
A lot of people are giving Vergeben a stay of execution since "he never said Isabelle was an echo, only that she was playable"

The next reveal has to be something he can't of gotten a lucky guess at in order to 100% ruin his and all leakers' credibility.

Last edited:

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Well...Mega Man got tail shanked. Mario too, I guess? Kinda harder to tell what happened there. And Luigi had his soul ripped out by Death/Grim Reaper. However, I think those were both coincidental and the trend was bucked during K. Rool's reveal since the only act of violence was one King dethroning the Penguin King of Trolldom.
Megaman is really the only one shown to have a actual infliction of some kind though and he's a robot, which underlines how "safe" these "defeats" are. Mario has his head gripped by Ridley and how that plays out is up for debate, and Luigi had his soul severed from his body, but that doesn't mean death, it just means that all he has to do is reenter his body.

I get why people find it funny and I get the meme, but I guess as someone who doesn't really like joking about violence I'm not one who cares for these types of jokes, but anyways this is neither here nor there.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I found the absolute perfect clip for Isabelle.
Anything David Bowie related is great. That was perfection.

Even though my last break lasted about two minutes, I think I might actually take a proper break from here. Nothing seems to be happening, I have nothing to say and not many people care what I have to say too much anyways.

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Hey! I finally saw it! And I am SUPER excited, as Isabelle was my first support thread to go to! But...

Its a little upsetting to see some disappointment from you guys, which I can understand. So I want to share my point of views.

In my humble opinion, this was a really good reality check. No matter what clues you have, Sakurai will always fool you. If something makes sense, assume its wrong. He loves suprises.

I can admit the trailer was lack luster, BUT it was to fool AC fans. Nothing more, nothing less. We just got incredibly greedy, and we just need to keep our minds in check. I can admit I got greedy, but I'm happy nonetheless. Keep in mind that Sakurai DID say he's getting characters from the ballot, so assume Isabelle was way up there.

Anyway, I liked the Direct, just helps to remember, or know, whats in store for 2019.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Finally caught up after getting off work, yeah that direct sure was something. I was expecting to see Isabelle in and I’m glad she made the cut, surprised that she wasn’t as much of an echo as I thought, but regardless I’m excited to see her in action and I’ll continue to support my main girl here in the meantime.

I found the absolute perfect clip for Isabelle.
Spread your wings and soar high my dear, you’re in the big leagues now

D

Deleted member

Nobody must ever trust verge he is a fraud and a liar who guessed right. (He might be a shantae hater himself.)

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I'm gonna take a break for a week or two as well just to focus on school a bit more. I'll be back periodically but not lurking every day for hours at a time.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Nobody must ever trust verge he is a fraud and a liar who guessed right. (He might be a shantae hater himself.)
While I am against blind faith in Verge or any other leak, he is definitely not just guessing.
His reputation (both good and bad) stretches multiple titles, and into some very out of left field predictions (TMNT for Injustice as an example.)
He definitely has legitimate sources.
However he's also gotten things wrong, hence the bad bit, so he has some shaky sources as well, and not all the information the legitimate sources have is necessarily true.
He is posting things he is being told, and at least some of it seems to be legitimate. Some of what he is being told is not legitimate. And separating which is which might be difficult. But to claim he is just a guesser pretending to be a leaker, at this stage, is silly.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
While I am against blind faith in Verge or any other leak, he is definitely not just guessing.
His reputation (both good and bad) stretches multiple titles, and into some very out of left field predictions (TMNT for Injustice as an example.)
He definitely has legitimate sources.
However he's also gotten things wrong, hence the bad bit, so he has some shaky sources as well, and not all the information the legitimate sources have is necessarily true.
He is posting things he is being told, and at least some of it seems to be legitimate. Some of what he is being told is not legitimate. And separating which is which might be difficult. But to claim he is just a guesser pretending to be a leaker, at this stage, is silly.
Should we still be suspicious of his "leaks" though? Because if that's an option I'm not allowed, then screw it, I'll still go that route! :p

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Should we still be suspicious of his "leaks" though? Because if that's an option I'm not allowed, then screw it, I'll still go that route! :p
Oh that was my whole point XD
I wouldn't trust his information as 100% because he's been fed some very wrong information, but I think dismissing things as false automatically for the simple reason of "Verge's a fraud" might lead to some disappointment as he seems to have at least some insider contacts. (though if you still wish to, that's your prerogative)

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I think what he said pre-E3 was legit, and now with Isabelle confirmed everything he said back then has been proven true (and I believed this even before Simon was revealed). I don't trust anything after that, though. Somewhere along the way I think the attention got to his head.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Trust me, I think the reception would’ve been a lot better from many if Dixie was shown instead, seeing as she is far more recognizable, and has a bigger fan base in general.
This applies to smashboards, but not to the world.

I've been saying it for weeks now, but I'm 100% positive this game is unleakable. Non-Echo Isabelle is a testament to that. For the first time since Ashley got Assist'd again, I'm looking forward to speculate again.
I enjoyed watching all the leaks burn.

Characters aren't really dying
Goodbye theories of a someone dying for each new character.

Unfortunately only *most* were taken out back and shot
A lot of people are giving Vergeben a stay of execution since "he never said Isabelle was an echo, only that she was playable"

The next reveal has to be something he can't of gotten a lucky guess at in order to 100% ruin his and all leakers' credibility.
I feel like pokemon will break him.

The no cuts prediction was just no cuts for SSB4, which is not nearly as unsafe as predicting every character returning.

is silly.
Disagree because if things go wrong shifting blame to mysterious sources is a cheap play, but I can gather where his clout comes from.
I make "left field" predictions all the time, so I still think it's possible to get a knack for this type of thing, but I wont diss ya for considering him a legit leaker.

This is the shantae thread though, but there has been considerably less talk about her since the direct was about Isabelle.
What I gather from this direct is that context is very important. So I will contemplate the context for the upcoming nintendo stuff to see where Shantae fits.

.. Toadette for smash?
She's already in.:happysheep:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Direct was cool, I still want Shantae but Isabelle was my #2, and I love that she's...unique? It's hard to tell.
Yes, Isabelle is unique. Her dash attacks seems to be the same, and a few things, but she has her own unique moveset and hitboxes. She looks really fun, Tho I also feel like something's missing, but we actually don't know much about some of her moves likes her aerials besides nair.

Tangent, but I dislike this "die" meme. Characters aren't really dying and the hyperbole around the "violence" is something that bothers me profusely. No offense to you, but I had to get that off my chest.
I think I agree? I mean, there is an existence of violence, as well as thoughts about it and what it means for smash, or are you just saying that it's no longer going to get taken too far or ?
Hey! I finally saw it! And I am SUPER excited, as Isabelle was my first support thread to go to! But...

Its a little upsetting to see some disappointment from you guys, which I can understand. So I want to share my point of views.

In my humble opinion, this was a really good reality check. No matter what clues you have, Sakurai will always fool you. If something makes sense, assume its wrong. He loves suprises.

I can admit the trailer was lack luster, BUT it was to fool AC fans. Nothing more, nothing less. We just got incredibly greedy, and we just need to keep our minds in check. I can admit I got greedy, but I'm happy nonetheless. Keep in mind that Sakurai DID say he's getting characters from the ballot, so assume Isabelle was way up there.

Anyway, I liked the Direct, just helps to remember, or know, whats in store for 2019.
Hey,you get it. Nintendo is their own entity. And it lets us know that they like to appeal to other games' fanbases, and smash is still a hot topic but not to the point of making everything about it. We'll get some smash directs too, so, there's still that. And we can be thankful that they are listening more to fans' votes this time around. I didn't expect them to only do that, that's a bit of a high expectation, and I've seen some with that around. But I guess it doesn't matter. We can try to enjoy the content in any case, and try to be satisfied with the cool stuff we are getting.
I've still got a few disappointments to temper myself, so I'm learning too..

Anyway, gonna be fun to try Isabele.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
So: how is everyone doing tonight? As for how I feel about Isabelle, she's alright: I have no objections to her inclusion, don't get me wrong, but my initial reaction was kinda eh.

The fact I was in a classroom full of other people didn't really help, I'll say that much (the same classroom I was going to have a class in right after the Direct).

Point being, its not over for Shantae, so let's keep on supporting her as we always have!

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
OK, I am about to go on a ****ing Isabelle defending rant.

So I dunno if everyone already established this since I skipped about 4 pages or so, but Isabelle IS NOT a semi-clone. Not even close. She has a WHOLE THREE MOVES that she shares with Villager. Dash Attack, Up Special and Pocket. I don't even count grab because like everybody shares most grabs. That is about as much of a semi-clone as Mario is with Luigi.

I think the big issue is that her trailer started with Dash Attack of all things it could have started with, and then everyone just immediately went blind to her moveset for the entire remainder of the trailer. She doesn't even do the Lucas/Roy thing because she gets a different side and down special.

Also, I am super hyped for her, and people NEED to accept that our imaginary ballots are NOT the end-all-be-all. I can GUARANTEE you that Isabelle was up there in the top eschelon of the polls, especially in Japan.

I know this is a Shantae support thread and everyone is down in the dumps after not seeing her, but I had to post this.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Oh, let’s not forget her fire powers as well:

View attachment 163703
By AniMana21
I always pictue uncle mimic with king kai's english voice from DBZ...
I was not expecting her to be a full newcomer, but I am quite happy. She looks so fun to play.

The website added, and shes on the artwork

Stop looking so adorable. Also her video shows that she seems to be the same status as wolf maybe? A bunch of unique stuff, but she also has some simular moves.

that picture gives me hope! daisy still isn't paired with the "mystery butt-bumper" aka shantae

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman

So I dunno if everyone already established this since I skipped about 4 pages or so, but Isabelle IS NOT a semi-clone. Not even close. She has a WHOLE THREE MOVES that she shares with Villager. Dash Attack, Up Special and Pocket. I don't even count grab because like everybody shares most grabs. That is about as much of a semi-clone as Mario is with Luigi.

I think the big issue is that her trailer started with Dash Attack of all things it could have started with, and then everyone just immediately went blind to her moveset for the entire remainder of the trailer. She doesn't even do the Lucas/Roy thing because she gets a different side and down special.

Also, I am super hyped for her, and people NEED to accept that our imaginary ballots are NOT the end-all-be-all. I can GUARANTEE you that Isabelle was up there in the top eschelon of the polls, especially in Japan.

I know this is a Shantae support thread and everyone is down in the dumps after not seeing her, but I had to post this.
Thank you. I'm not even an Isabelle fan really (though I think shes absolutely precious) but the rampant negativity over any pick that isn't one that SmashBoards circlejerks over constantly is just a frustrating exercise in futility. Just be happy for the fans who got what they wanted!

EDIT:

I think what he said pre-E3 was legit, and now with Isabelle confirmed everything he said back then has been proven true (and I believed this even before Simon was revealed). I don't trust anything after that, though. Somewhere along the way I think the attention got to his head.
I'll just repeat what I said about Vergeben in the Ashley thread:

I'm still not fully trusting Vergeben either. Which is weird for me because at this point I probably should trust him already with his correct predictions, but something about him just feels off to me.

I feel like he definitely got a hold of some legit info, but not nearly as much as he claims. A lot of his predictions do feel like the small smattering of legit stuff combined with some logical deduction and very good cold reading. The big thing that tipped me off is how he plays games with just who exactly is gonna be the 7th Gen Pokemon rep. From my experience anytime somebody starts playing games with their audience it's usually a way to cover up a blind spot with bull**** to make their way through when they don't have anything real on hand.

Like, maybe he's right and he does have multiple sources, but that also sounds like a convenient way to give him an out for anytime he gets it wrong or doesn't guess a big surprise like K. Rool. "Oh don't worry it's just that one source that was bad honest!"

Him casting a broad but unspecific net such as saying "a" Square Enix character is coming without naming names also tips me off. Maybe he's telling the truth and he really doesn't know, or maybe he's just making the bet that, seeing how Cloud is in the game, Square is on board with another rep so that if anybody, whether it be Terra Branford or Geno, gets in he can go "See, told ya!" without making any specific claims, a classic cold reading trick.

I don't know, if he really does guess something that was totally left field again then maybe my trust will grow, but the fact that he could be using a good number of tricks scam artists use leaves a lingering doubt that I just can't shake.
He did get Isabelle right for which I have to give him credit, but it's still not enough for me to fully trust him. He still hasn't made a truly out there call that couldn't be predicted with deduction and cold reading.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was thinking about Shantae's possible Jab, at one point, and I think her hair whip could be a really good attack, thinking it'd have decent range and speed. It could be like Palutena's jab in that sense, which is a very good move (actually one of her only good ground moves). It's going to be good in ultimate because you can dash cancel into a jab easily. I could see that being good with Shantae.

Alright, that was my last thought for the night. bed time.:tired:

grizby2

Smash Lord
Unrelated to Shantae, but can anyone tell what stage this is from? It doesn't look like one we've seen before.
it seems to have a good amount of realism to it, but the rainbow throws that out the window... so I guess it filters down to what games showcase realistic environments
I guess it COULD be rainbow cruise... but I hated that stage's design. >.>

maybe Dragon Quest?

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
it seems to have a good amount of realism to it, but the rainbow throws that out the window... so I guess it filters down to what games showcase realistic environments

maybe Dragon Quest?
Just click on the stage on the Smash website and it is very obvious that it's Rainbow Cruise. The rainbow and even the background detail look exactly the same

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

maybe Dragon Quest?
A Dragon Quest stage would be very interesting. I'd say Square would allow that.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Er which one? He has at least 6 voice actors

Personally, for Mimic I think his voice could be either David Lodge (doing an unfiltered version of this voice) or Kyle Hebert (maybe something like his Joe voice with a hint of Dr. Crygor, both from Warioware Gold)
definitely Sean Schemmel.
david lodge would be cool too! (*sees ivern* I see you are a man of culture!)

maybe Dragon Quest?
ahh ok.

to be honest. im not paying attention to the stages all that much. especially the ones I thought were a complete MESS in the past.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Oh hey, Isabelle got in!

(Just kidding. I <3 you, Isabelle fans!~)

---

Eh... the Direct actually ended up going exactly as I predicted. Since I had to go to work, I had plenty of time to mule things over and think about what would happen. Pretty much nailed everything on the head.

(By the way, I started drinking before booting up the direct so I might not be in rarest form.)

- I figured we would get either Isabelle, a Pokemon, Bandana Dee or Paper Mario (a character who's chances are massively slept on; I don't want him but he undeniably did well in the ballot) this Direct since I was sure it would be geared more towards casual audiences and I could see the Smash team wanting to diversify their customer base; I even thought that it would be decidedly "un-hype" and was right about that in spades xD

* It makes sense that it's Isabelle. The other three franchises are already well-represented in Smash and so if they wanted to draw in more of the casual crowd, Isabelle was the character to do it.

- I also predicted that Isabelle could be a unique fighter because Animal Crossing is just that big of a series and ended up (partially) right about that; she seems more unique than not, though (on the flip side, she does borrow moves and her moves aren't crazy original so she probably wasn't super duper hard to make; that's good because it means we probably have more fighters)

- I wanted more info on Metroid Prime 4 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses but figured we wouldn't get any; unfortunately right about that one

---

Prior to the Direct I was going to mention my theory on this but didn't want to damper the good mood; I'm thinking that if Shantae does get in it'll be by the skin of her teeth, and she's going to need a lot of things to go in her favor in order to pull it off.

For one thing, you guys better hope that when people voted for Shantae, Shovel Knight and other indies that they mentioned "I want an indie character playable" as one of their reasons. Without a large influx of those types of reasons, Sakurai might evaluate each indie character as their own entity but if he sees homogeneity amongst the requests, he'll be more likely to consider them a unified voting block. Luckily for us, it does appear prevalent that a lot of people want "an indie character" as a lot of Shovel Knight's supporters have joined the Shantae train because they want "an indie character". Hopefully this sentiment is reflected in the ballot so Shantae can absorb those votes.

Next, you better hope that Sakurai fell in love with Shantae when he researched her. Thankfully, even her idle animations are expressive so I think she's capable of selling her merit pretty quickly. It's a boon for us that Shantae ticks all of his design boxes for a newcomer, hopefully she "dances" in his mind. (His words, not mine!)

Personally, I see these as our top contenders (in no particular order): Isaac, Geno, a Pokemon, Bandana Dee, Paper Mario, Dixie Kong, Skull Kid (maybe), Impa, Ken (maybe), Shadow and Shantae. Runner-ups: Banjo and Sora.

Of these, I think Dixie, Impa, Ken and Shadow are echo fighters. Examining the rest of them (please don't be offended if you support one of these characters; I'm trying to remain objective):

- Are Paper Mario and Geno going to vie for a spot? Who knows, maybe they'll both get in or be considered against the other. If the latter, I'm thinking Geno has more evidence in his corner but I can't deny that Paper Mario would be more relevant. Could be a bloodbath here.

- Relevancy isn't an issue if you're a retro or a significant character in your still alive franchise (ala K. Rool) but I would say it's definitely a factor if your series is dead (Isaac). Not that he can't be revived but Nintendo is going to have to make that decision. Will it be worthwhile to them? We'll see.

- Bandana Dee has tons of marketing and amiibo cross-compatibility (could have hinted at Daisy prior to her reveal) in his favor so I think he's pretty safe. I could make a dig at him being "Player 4" or a "Hat Goomba" or "Sakurai bias" but I don't think any of them are strong enough to go against him. It might even be beneficial this time around that his moveset would be on the simpler side if they're shooting to cram as many favorites in this game as possible.

- A Pokemon is a given. Sakurai is not going to ignore the votes for Pokemon in the smash ballot. I really hope that means we'll get an older gen pokemon this time and exclude the newer gen since I think there are better pokemon to pull from from older generations (no offense to fans of the newer games). Who that is, who knows?

- Skull Kid had virtually no presence in the ballot, as far as I know. Maybe Sakurai will want to do right by the LoZ series and add him in, as he is highly marketed (well, Majora is) and super iconic, but if we restrict things to the ballot, I think he flops. For all intents and purposes, we have two "leakers" going against each other right now for him too (with LeakyPandy staking their reputation on the line to deconfirm him as a boss character and loz18 being BTFO'd with this Direct). He would be a cool addition, is certainly iconic and is heavily marketed but.... no ballot presence and non-intuitive moveset potential could be death nails.

- Banjo has a super tall mountain to climb: 1) you have to get Microsoft on-board, 2) they have to be willing to revive his franchise since his franchise is currently dead, 3) you have to resist the temptation of grabbing someone else instead (like Master Chief or God help us, Steve; could be a Cloud over Geno situation). He no doubt did well on the ballot but let's be real, he probably wasn't #1. Anything short of that means he's mountain climbing. DLC maybe?

- Sora is owned by Disney. It's as simple as whether or not Sakurai wants to put "Disney" on the front page of the Smash website and he would have to. Plus, they'll probably want (a lot) of money. DLC... maybe...?

- Shantae, frankly, has zero clout. She's an indie darling, but there are bigger icons even in the indie scene (Minecraft, Five Nights at Freddy's, Undertale, even Shovel Knight). Unless she absorbs the votes for indies and is prioritized for her history with Nintendo and receives high marks for her design viability, she has a mountain to climb. Admittedly, it's not as bad as Banjo's mountain, though. On a negative note, hopefully she's just a regular trophy (or Sakurai says screw it and includes ATs as characters) so she can have a shot at DLC. As long as she doesn't get relegated to the snow globe of death, she has a very strong shot of coming in later as DLC. Few characters can compete with Shantae when it comes to the ballot, I'm sure of that.

So we could potentially have 9 uniques (if you're super optimistic), 7 uniques (if you exclude Banjo and Sora) or 3 uniques (if you're super pessimistic and exclude: either Geno or Paper Mario with the other getting in, Skull Kid, Isaac and Shantae leaving only Bandana Dee, a Pokemon and either Geno or Paper Mario as the uniques). I read somewhere that 4 clones was equivalent to 1 unique character in terms of development so you could wrap those previous 4 echoes into 1 and consider that a "slot".

Examining the previous Smash (prior to DLC) we had: 15 uniques (if you count the Miis separately, 13 if not) and 3 clones (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina) so you can count that as... eh... about 14 slots (if you want to split hairs with the Miis and include the clones; they did all require development time).

Right now we have (including veterans; I'm going to consider "semi-clones" unique even though logically they would take less development time): 11 uniques (vets included: Snake, Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Young Link, Wolf) and 4 clones so that would be about 12 slots. Eish... Looks like we could have 3 uniques left (or 2 and 4 echoes).

On the flipside, they aren't making this game for both the 3DS and Wii U, just the Switch. Also, it appears they aren't doing custom moves this time (thank God). Also, the estimations can get pretty wonky on how much they actually have to dedicate to development since six veterans (and four echoes) would be, theoretically, quicker to make. It could be that they could squeeze one or two more unique fighters (or one and four echoes) in and in that case, I think Shantae would be next up in line. However, she would need those previous two points in her favor (being the indie rep and having Sakurai fall in love with her potential) in order to beat out the remaining competitors.

It looks like a tough fight but who really knows? We also have potential curveballs to deal with and "Sakurai bias". Even though it looks (kinda) bad, I do still feel pretty optimistic though. Namely because I think those two points I mentioned WILL be in her favor and she WILL get squeezed in. At this point though, I think she'll be the very last reveal though. It also helps her that she fits the mold of a (current) Nintendo marketing strategy (promoting indies). Money talks.

Hopefully the remaining ballot contenders get in through DLC and don't just get shafted because they didn't make the base. On the flipside (again) I could be completely full of **** and Sakurai is going to add in a Space Invader next.

Keep in mind guys, I'm buzzed a bit. I mean absolutely no harm by any of my character analysis here (though I'm sure I'm not going to win any fans either xD) and to be frank, I could see any combination of the contenders making it in and beating out the others arbitrarily or even a scenario where we all get BTFO'd and get a bunch of characters we never would have even thought of.

All in all, all in good fun.~

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
For the record, I'm not putting faith in Vergeben. If anything, I'm putting faith in hoping he's wrong about future announcements. I am happy for Isabelle, I'm just worried if Verg keeps getting right about these, I dread what else he's right about.

Aside from Smash, I am excited for FFVII getting ported to the Switch and Luigi's Mansion 3 being a thing so the Direct was alright.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Yes, yes he would. Especially since Pit, Mega Man, and Simon are all here.

HM Slaves are a thing of the past. Personally, I'm loving what I'm seeing from Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

As for the Direct, there was some neat stuff. It blew my mind when they started going over all the Final Fantasy games coming. I guess Jon from GameXplain was right! Bet he's going to rub that in the doubters' faces during the inevitable 40-minute discussion video. Isabelle...honestly, when it first came up, I thought it was a new Animal Crossing thing. But hey, she's cute and a new female character. And like I said, the only way I'd be mad at a fighter reveal would be if they shoehorned Goku into this game.

EDIT: Why are people panicking and saying Sakurai doesn't have any hype reveals left? Maybe he saw all the whining that "Smash overshadowed E3" and decided he only wanted to reveal a low-key character during this direct. Shantae, Isaac, Geno...they all still have a chance, people.
Not to mention this was a general Nintendo direct. Isabelle was new fighter and what better way to introduce her than alongside a new AC Switch game. Plus we are probably in or around the halfway mark for new fighters, still plenty left.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Look guys I know some here are a bit mad about no Shantae. But guys we still have next month and November for new fighters to be shown. So do not give up on her.

WayForward's silence and lack of her in other crossover fighters shows that something is happening. If she is not in the base roster and not an AT then we can consider her as an potential DLC fighter.

I am downloading Torna The Golden Country Expansion right now so we have something that will help us pass the time. So please guys do not give up. I will not give up and still pray for Shantae

#ShantaeForSmash

EDIT: Oh hey, Now I am a Smash Ace.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I think Shantae is somewhat unique due to her indie status. her only real competition is with other indies and the other most popular indie character is decomfirmed. Sakurai would probably set aside a slot just for an indie character rather than having to pick between her and other Nintendo characters, if that makes any sense.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
For the record, I'm not putting faith in Vergeben. If anything, I'm putting faith in hoping he's wrong about future announcements. I am happy for Isabelle, I'm just worried if Verg keeps getting right about these, I dread what else he's right about.

Aside from Smash, I am excited for FFVII getting ported to the Switch and Luigi's Mansion 3 being a thing so the Direct was alright.
Vergeben has gotten alot of things right but I am deeply suspicious on some of his other predictions. Especially concerning Pokemon. He said we are getting a Gen 7 pokemon that's not Decidueye, Lycanroc, or Mimique. How does he specifically know which characters we are NOT getting but not specifically the character we ARE getting? That raises a red flag for me.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Vergeben has gotten alot of things right but I am deeply suspicious on some of his other predictions. Especially concerning Pokemon. He said we are getting a Gen 7 pokemon that's not Decidueye, Lycanroc, or Mimique. How does he specifically know which characters we are NOT getting but not specifically the character we ARE getting? That raises a red flag for me.
This is very similar to the Gematsu leak. That leak predicted got most of the characters right including Wii Fit Trainer but didn't predict Rosalina, we didn't get Chrom or Chorus Men, did the vague a "pokemon from X/Y*, and didn't predict Bowser Jr or Duck Hunt. Both of these leaks are very spread out instead of saying everything at once, didn't mention a newcomer (Rosalina/K.Rool), and now we have a pokemon from Sun and Moon.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

Any way you slice it she's still highly derivative of Villager. Technically unique and actually unique are two completly different thing. Most the moves were obviously merely reworked villager moves with different animations rather than a completly new moveset built from the ground up. Calling Isabelle unique to villager would be like referring SS4 peach as a different character from Ultimate Peach. Or Brawl Pit and Bowser different characters than Ultimate Pit and Bowser.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Even if Vergeben is right, he clearly doesn't know the whole roster, so why should we let his silence regarding Shantae worry us?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Look guys I know some here are a bit mad about no Shantae. But guys we still have next month and November for new fighters to be shown. So do not give up on her.

WayForward's silence and lack of her in other crossover fighters shows that something is happening. If she is not in the base roster and not an AT then we can consider her as an potential DLC fighter.

I am downloading Torna The Golden Country Expansion right now so we have something that will help us pass the time. So please guys do not give up. I will not give up and still pray for Shantae

#ShantaeForSmash

EDIT: Oh hey, Now I am a Smash Ace.
Speaking of indies, it seems that the Japanese version of the Direct showcased some indie games, including Niddhog 2.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._handful_of_indie_games_coming_soon_to_switch

Interestingly, Tangledeep seems that it'll have some compositions from Grant Kirkhope. Knock on wood to B-K fans...:idea:

Top Bottom