• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't want to see the vicious cycle of support dying down just because short-term chances are low, thus further hurting the chances down the line and then hurting support even more etc. Just be careful about where and when you decide to spread your "realism", and remember: balance is everything.
You have legit concerns. I just think that if people care about supporting a character, it's best to do it without relying on shaky ground.
I might try to explore what it means to balance in these cases, I'm actually not sure., but maybe we can find ways to do that.

If you like shantae and like smash, I think that's good enough to cheer on and hope for the best, in any case :)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I’m perfectly okay with that.
Good to hear, obviously so am I.
I don't want to see the vicious cycle of support dying down just because short-term chances are low, thus further hurting the chances down the line and then hurting support even more etc. Just be careful about where and when you decide to spread your "realism", and remember: balance is everything.
"A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence."

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Yeah, so... basically we know nothing more about the picks except that they're currently locked for this wave. No reason to start seriously worrying or celebrating either way.
I see two reasons to worry, one fairly concrete and one fairly speculative. The concrete cause for concern once again is that Matt Bozon made exactly the sort of tweets at a time when you would expect him to stay silent were Shantae planned or even just being considered for first wave DLC.

My second cause for concern is highly speculative, which is that based on Sakurai's tweets and his urging caution about buying the Fighter's Pass, I am concerned that Nintendo picked characters that cater to corporate interests rather than fan desires, to the point where Sakurai himself is dissatisfied about it. While I have listed grounds for having this concern, it is still very much speculative, and it is very much reasonable to explain all my supporting evidence for it in other ways.

I only have two questions for you at this point: do you want to increase Shantae's chances? And if so, how does stating the things that lower them without anything to counterbalance contribute to that?
I am sympathetic to your attitude, since I spent way too much time arguing doggedly against Shantae naysayers and pessimists during and even after the Smash Ballot. In the context of a Smash Ballot, it really does help Shantae's chances to argue that they are good, since it makes people more likely to vote for her. Even outside that context, making reasonable arguments for optimism about Shantae in general forums and whatnot helps keep people thinking about her and taking her seriously, which could potentially have some impact down the road.

However, it's important to be able to have calm and unbiased discussions about Shantae's prospects in this thread. That itself is a meaningful contribution. For that to be possible, we can't treat informed doubt by earnest Shantae supporters as harmful to the cause. As it happens, we know that right now nothing can help or hurt Shantae's cause for first wave DLC because it's already set in stone anyway. I don't want people here to get discouraged and give up either, but I don't think Teeb147 Teeb147 offering their interpretation of Sakurai's tweets is causing that, even if they are (like me) not so optimistic about what those tweets mean for the likelihood of Shantae arriving in this next round of DLC.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I see two reasons to worry, one fairly concrete and one fairly speculative. The concrete cause for concern once again is that Matt Bozon made exactly the sort of tweets at a time when you would expect him to stay silent were Shantae planned or even just being considered for first wave DLC.

My second cause for concern is highly speculative, which is that based on Sakurai's tweets and his urging caution about buying the Fighter's Pass, I am concerned that Nintendo picked characters that cater to corporate interests rather than fan desires, to the point where Sakurai himself is dissatisfied about it. While I have listed grounds for having this concern, it is still very much speculative, and it is very much reasonable to explain all my supporting evidence for it in other ways.
I don't buy either of those. If anything, it feels to me that Sakurai doesn't want to be like every other company that has DLC fighters these days. As for Matt, why in the world would he make these tweets if there was no chance? That would be dishonest.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't buy either of those. If anything, it feels to me that Sakurai doesn't want to be like every other company that has DLC fighters these days. As for Matt, why in the world would he make these tweets if there was no chance? That would be dishonest.
Matt doesn't know.

everything he said points to that.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey guys, did you know that this was a thing?
Maybe one day we can get someone more interesting and learn something new.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Now I am going to stay lying here, all curled up in a ball, impatiently awaiting the Rottytops one...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
"replace Shantae in a second" seems to imply he doesn't actually like Shantae, and is actively looking for any excuse to get rid of her. Which is odd, since he seems more than happy with her in Pirate's Curse.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Now I am going to be impatiently awaiting the Rottytops one...
We can only only hope it will be soon. Something to note, it is #WayForwardSpotlight, so perhaps they will be doing characters outside the Shantae universe.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
"replace Shantae in a second" seems to imply he doesn't actually like Shantae, and is actively looking for any excuse to get rid of her. Which is odd, since he seems more than happy with her in Pirate's Curse.
I think its just more he's a fat idiot with incredibly short term thinking.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
PSA:

Just because someone has doubts over a character's chances doesn't mean they can't also want that character.

Just because someone is skeptical, it doesn't mean they want that character any less or are trying to sabotage support.

Continue to voice your support, but keep your expectations in check.

Please remember to hype responsibly. (People always seem to forget that last one...)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Not really, no.
Do you want to talk about it over PM once I get off work?

Do you know how often this’ll happen? Will this be a daily thing?

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Every time you post about Rotty this is the only thing that plays in my mind.
Now I really want to play UMvC3 again but no one I know owns/likes it that much and I have no chance of survival in ranked online.

That or Infinite, but even less people like or own that one. It's such a shame, it's really fun even if most everything about it kind of dropped the ball...

Last edited:

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so we're a day out from Sakurai's deadly tweet, and still no response from WF or Matt. I'm gonna look at the glass half full and assume that's a good sign.

We gotta wait and see, but I'm still worried Matt's gonna come out at some point and put out any final hopes for Shantae being in by telling people to stop harassing Sakurai with the hashtag cause she's not in.
But if he keeps quiet about it, then maybe there's still a shot. If Nintendo wanted to add Nindies to the list of characters they gave Sakurai, Shantae would probably be in there. That's a big if though. And then a bigger if for whether or not Sakurai would pick her out of however large a pool he was given.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Do you want to talk about it over PM once I get off work?
Sure.
Aw, come on, really? That of all things? :urg:
Oh yeah that thumbnail reminded me, Tron Bonne is actually a spirit in this game.
I only found out about that yesterday, that's really cool. :)

Also, is that Felicia I see in the video there? I really wish Darkstalkers got some representation in Smash, actually.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Its like I said, if silence begins once more, the glimmer of light will grow brighter.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad you reminded me of this gem. Really reminds me of the old Newgrounds animation stuff.(Ik it is but still)
Reminds me when Mojang did that "block of the week" thing on Twitter and there was that whole debacle where people wanted them to review the note block and it became a meme in the community.

Also this gives Wayforward a way to cleverly update the community on whatever deserves the proverbial spotlight. Maybe hints for things to come? Not Shantae in Smash per say but maybe information about things in the Shantae world that we didn't know much (or at all about) before.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
man I missed a lot here it seems. I am just gonna say I think its nearly immpossible to tell who Nintendo picked. It can go either way in shantaes favor. I think if Wayforward has a shantae game planned for next year it does boost her chances though. Still going with Shantae, Slime, Prya/Mythra, FE Ax girl. Steve/Banjo/Rayman.

Also, watched the hour long DLC suggestion video... and of course not a single shantae mention

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ok who the F*** would sell their town for a F***ing piece of chocolate?!?!?

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Working on a new video, friends. Anyone have a picture showing Shantae as a button on the 3DS eshop for the "Nindies" category? Or a picture of Shantae when she was showcased on the Nindies section of Nintendo's website?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
man I missed a lot here it seems. I am just gonna say I think its nearly immpossible to tell who Nintendo picked. It can go either way in shantaes favor. I think if Wayforward has a shantae game planned for next year it does boost her chances though. Still going with Shantae, Slime, Prya/Mythra, FE Ax girl. Steve/Banjo/Rayman.

Also, watched the hour long DLC suggestion video... and of course not a single shantae mention

I don't think they know much about Shantae. Their analysis of Shantae's fight in their whole World Of Light trailer only went as deep as "fights pirates" and "transforms".

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Not even a mention of Rottytops?! Seems I'm unsubscribing from GameXplain, then.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Did anyone know that GameFaqs was keeping tabs making threads about our progress in here? It's making them really mad for some reason.
I get the feeling a lot wish Shantae were an RPG so there'd be the option to punch him. Poor guy.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I don't think they know much about Shantae. Their analysis of Shantae's fight in their whole World Of Light trailer only went as deep as "fights pirates" and "transforms".
To be fair, we didn’t get to see her actual battle, just a few seconds of Shantae’s splash screen and I believe they covered pretty much everything on that screen, what else could they have talked about that wouldn’t have derailed from the topic of the video?

D

Deleted member

Working on a new video, friends. Anyone have a picture showing Shantae as a button on the 3DS eshop for the "Nindies" category? Or a picture of Shantae when she was showcased on the Nindies section of Nintendo's website?
Here ya go
816527C3-6B4D-4A97-8D7A-9ABA90B75763.jpeg
292B8961-0217-48E7-9FDA-FF27933150CC.png

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
To be fair, we didn’t get to see her actual battle, just a few seconds of Shantae’s splash screen and I believe they covered pretty much everything on that screen, what else could they have talked about that wouldn’t have derailed from the topic of the video?
Her Killing Edge that is meant to be a stand-in for Risky's Scimitar.

Samus's stun pistol standing in for the Flintlock kind.

Jet boots standing in for Risky's Boots.

How does any of this derail from the topic of probing every single detail possible in a video clip?

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone know that GameFaqs was keeping tabs making threads about our progress in here? It's making them really mad for some reason.
Really? Links to that for lulz please?

I will never understand why people get so worked up about other people liking things they don't like. I've seen it in Smash, I've seen it in Star Wars, I've seen it in just about every damn fandom I've come across. Like I mean, what's the point? Just drop it, go on with your life and focus on the things that make you happy if it's making you that miserable.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice

How does any of this derail from the topic of probing every single detail possible in a video clip?
Also the pirate ship map for Risky's ship and both having ponytails and wearing semi-revealing outfits.

Nintendo obviously knows about Shantae to put this level of detail for just a spirit battle.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Really? Links to that for lulz please?

I will never understand why people get so worked up about other people liking things they don't like. I've seen it in Smash, I've seen it in Star Wars, I've seen it in just about every damn fandom I've come across. Like I mean, what's the point? Just drop it, go on with your life and focus on the things that make you happy if it's making you that miserable.
I actually posted that? Oh dear that wasn't supposed to happen. Since we're here....

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77177172
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77110737

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Alright I’ll give you the first two, for some reason I thought that was gone over those. I think the Jet Boots are a bit of a stretch though

Also the pirate ship map for Risky's ship and both having ponytails and wearing semi-revealing outfits.

Nintendo obviously knows about Shantae to put this level of detail for just a spirit battle.
They didn’t use that exact wording for the outfit and stage details but both of those were brought up

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

All of the spirit battles seem to be really detailed, and true to the characters, which is really cool. :)

I've really warmed up to the idea of spirits lately. :)

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Gonna be honest, I really don't get the beef with Gamefaqs as a whole. There are plenty of chill people on there just talking as we do here and as people do on just about every other forum in existence. Every site has some bad eggs. Perhaps some more than others, but you still shouldn't paint everyone with the same brush.

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so we're a day out from Sakurai's deadly tweet, and still no response from WF or Matt. I'm gonna look at the glass half full and assume that's a good sign.

We gotta wait and see, but I'm still worried Matt's gonna come out at some point and put out any final hopes for Shantae being in by telling people to stop harassing Sakurai with the hashtag cause she's not in.
But if he keeps quiet about it, then maybe there's still a shot. If Nintendo wanted to add Nindies to the list of characters they gave Sakurai, Shantae would probably be in there. That's a big if though. And then a bigger if for whether or not Sakurai would pick her out of however large a pool he was given.
I'm sure everything will be fine. I'm sure Sakurai would add Shantae since she's quite unique. I heard even he thought adding another Fire Emblem character (I.e. Corrin) was a bit too much during Smash 4's DLC.

Top Bottom