• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadow the hedgehog

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Shadow is after his memories.

The main enemies are the Black Arms, the aliens you see running around. Their leader is apparently Black Doom, this freaky octopus like alien with one eye that follows you around.

Genuine Faster

Smash Rookie
Man, although this game does look amazing, Shadow should've stayed dead after SA2:B.

it just ruined the whole awesomeness of the game. It's like, Shadow sacrifices himself for Maria and her wish, and blam he comes back for absolutely no reason.

Then there's the theory of him being a clone... Which would be okay. Sort of.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
this game didnt really appeal to me that much at E3. the demo was "meh". just cause he's a black hedgehog, they gave him a gun? geez...

on a different note, check out some pics of the shadow the hedgehog display my friend and I took at e3.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Necromancy! Plus more news.

The game is out (since yesterday in fact) and opinions on this game have changed DRAMATICALLY. Most everyone's raving on how cool the experience is, although there are are a few who either claim it sucks because a) they're still 2-D fanboys or b)they ignored Shadow's story. People who were like b are IMHO, fools who don't need to play it in the first place.

I'll be renting it this weekend. I'll tell you all about it.

Devilkoopa

Smash Lord
so like did this do well or not?

I predict like a 6-8 range rating for this. Ill probably buy this either way, but at least this game focuses on the fun characters (What i mean is that in SA2, there were like only 3or 4 sonic levels, but 10 knuckles levels)

If the game was only $40 though i would buy it in a second. But, it'll have to wait after i get Ratchet Deadlocked.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I played the game...

...And I beat it in full. Here's my verdict.

If it's only one thing, it's better than Sonic Heroes, that much I'm certain. Another surefire thing is that this game takes some serious getting used to. If you don't, you'll suck at this game for all eternity and loathe it (I bet that's why IGN gave it a 4.9... they came in hating it and not able to get used to it.) Gunplay could use a bit of tweaking: there was variety in weapons but not so much in use. With the exception of some special instances, it didn't really matter what weapon you chose to do your enemy in with.

Something I didn't like was the lack of alliance... if you were on the side of evil, his minions still moved in to kill you. DUDE WHAT THE HELL. WHY CAN'T THEY HELP YOU OUT. :(

There are some funny moments. Eggman is an endless round of comedy, especially his Egg Dealer ("W-wait! Abort Launch!") And yes, Sonic IS crazy. I don't know why the hell he was so excited to tear Black Bull (a boss) a new one.

Speaking of bosses, they're a bit more sparse in this game. Sure, some were creative, but dude, how come more than half of them were mushed in the end of each round? It was pretty sad to see that 4 times out of the game, I had to blow away that ****able Egg Dealer YET AGAIN, even if he was funny. Difficulty was relatively equal to that of Heroes... hard on the first try, but once you learn tricks to the game it's possible to kill half of them under 30 seconds.

Music-wise, also better than Heroes. Six vocal tracks, plus level and boss tunes. Black Bull has the best boss theme in the entire game :'D. Some tracks are cool (Black Comet, Egg Dealer) others are forgettable (how did Glyphic Canyon go again?) and a few are REAL ANNOYING STINKERS (Final Haunt, I'm looking at YOU.)

Some of the "Kill the machine before it gets away" missions are HELL and the hardest in the game. There's one level that I won't even touch because I can't find the last of them (name and description of level withheld due to spoilers). Sega needs to focus on how to make things DIFFICULT without FRUSTRATION (e.g, figuring out the bosses.).

Oy, overall, it's a decent experience. I give it a 7/10, or in Gamefaqs terms BETTER THAN HEROES/10.

To recap:

The Good:
-Better than Heroes
-Decent gameplay
-The bosses are cool

The bad:
-Bosses are also sparse, and easy to kill after repeated playthroughs
-Frustrating moments (like when Tails steals a kill, forcing you to use a homing attack to your death and lose a good 300/400 rings ARRRGGGHHH)
-Robotnik is a failure and a sad man.

The :'D:
-Black Bull has the best boss theme.
-Robotnik is a failure and a sad man.
-Sonic is a crazy mofo.

Ashura Fan

Smash Apprentice
I like this game, though having to play through the game a bunch of times just to unlock an ending is annoying... why can't they just let you play a level in select mode and continue from there?

I don't know if I'd say the music is better than Sonic Heroes (yet,) but its pretty good. They've reused some themes (like during the fight against Heavy Dog, where they play a remix of the first boss battle from SA2.) The "Air Fleet" or whatever it's called music is annoying, though.

I don't like how they also rehashed some of the endings (though I'll admit I haven't got more than three endings.) From the way it sounds, the pure neutral endings are the same, and I've encountered another ending that the same thing but different setting and dialog (Black Comet, Hero path.)

I'm stuck on Final Haunt, though. I need to find the switches to open the path to the end ring. What do these things look like? The only switches I can think of are the ones that you have to active to complete the Dark mission.

Ashura Fan

Smash Apprentice
TheMagicalKuja said:
^Those are it, actually. If you activated one by mistake you need to shoot it again to turn it off.
Yeah, I kinda figured that out AFTER I posted. Oh well.

I, for the most part, like the game, but there's something I don't like about it, but I can't figure out what. My cousin side he doesn't like it because of the darker atmosphere, as he's more used to the other Sonic games.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Gamespot gave Shadow the Hedgehog a 4.8 and IGN gave it a 4.9. Add this to the increasing list of bad 3D Sonic games.

Tempest 01

Smash Journeyman
Shadow the Hedgehog: 9/10

I'm giving this a review.

Gameplay: (single) 9/10
this is amazing. The game is fun, engaging, and there are NO you-die-instantly glitches I've noticed (accept for the homing attack one :p) and enemies are more fun to kill. It's not jump and kill, you will need to land very exact attacks or you will die/lose rings. Yes, you only lose 10, but when there are 5 guys shooting machine-guns at you, it is hard to keep them. Vehicles? who cares? I never use them (accept for Black Hawk), as it lowers gameplay. Guns? NEEDED. for those who don't agree, TRY to play the game without a gun. You see? HARD!! Parteners are cool, and even kill pple sometimes. The "kill-*insert object*-before-end-of-stage" missions are freaky hard. I havn't even played one of them yet.
(2 player, not counted in review)7/10
It's fun and simple, but it is fairly TOO simple. It's more of a shoot-the-other-guy-first, which can actually make it a fun match. Using normal shadow is a chore and needs skill, even with any weapon, ammo goes fast. Mech-gun Shadow is easiest, but probably the worst shadow since it hits once in the stream, then you're wide open, and it does low damage do walkers. Rocket Shadows are just as hard as there is now auto-lock, you just look in the general direction and fire. ITS FUN!!

Music:10/10
The music always fits, it's catchy, and Crush 40 (I Am, Never Turn Back) have outdone themselves. It's hard to explain, but you either get a relaxed feel or a exilerated feel when you play.

Graphics:8/10
Though breaks down on some stages, its is pretty good. Not shiney like Heroes, but just as good, the "strechy limbs"(as i call them) are sorta weird. It (according to some pple) can look like the Dreamcast, but i have yet to find where... but yeah.

Conclusion: BETTER THAN HEROES. lol. 9/10 overall.

royandmarth

Smash Cadet
I knew this game was going to be good. You see people can't just judge the game because Shadow has a gun. BIG WHOOP. I could see if it was sonic holding a gun(which really would have had contreversy) but no, it's Shadow. He's been a bada$$ to begin with. A gun makes him just all the more cooler. :chuckle:

Ashura Fan

Smash Apprentice
EGM gave it a low score, but as far as I'm concerned, their opinion means nothing. God, I hate them. I never even wanted that stupid magazine...

Anyways, I've beaten the game. The final boss felt somewhat unoriginal, and battle felt a little DBZ-ish. Still, the fact they had "I am" playing in the background help make the battle enjoyable.

The ending was cool, but it still didn't answer a few big questions: why is Shadow alive? Is he the original Shadow or a clone made by Eggman?Eggman's reaction during parts of the last story seem to give SOMETHING of a clue on this though.

(Speaking of that, if someone's body has been effected by paralyses, shouldn't they collapse instead of be stuck in the last pose they made? But hey, its Sonic.)

I still haven't figured out what bothers me about the game, though. I highly doubt I'd call this the best (Sonic) game I've played, but definately far from the worst.

Tempest 01

Smash Journeyman
Ashura Fan said:
The ending was cool, but it still didn't answer a few big questions: why is Shadow alive? Is he the original Shadow or a clone made by Eggman?Eggman's reaction during parts of the last story seem to give SOMETHING of a clue on this though.
SPOILERS!!

Actually, if you wait long enough during the battle with Devil Doom, Eggman says he saved him from being deaded at the last second after final hazard. He's real

NP gave it a 8, so they are cool, get them lol. Yeah, DBZ fell right into my head as well.

Ashura Fan

Smash Apprentice
I didn't know that, though I figured as much. I wonder how he did it, considering he was on the Ark during the Sonic/Shadow vs. Final Hazard battle...

SPOILERS ("Shadow" and "Sonic Battle")

Speaking of that, whatever happened to Maria's wish? Of course, the cutscene of her death might not be considered official considering a LOT of the cutscene's probably aren't official.

Also, Shadow's story in Sonic Battle is pretty much scrap after this. In there, he thought he was created as a weapon by Gerald under the order of the Government.

Its still possible that Gerald went insane like it suggested in SA2. The footage of Gerald's wish for Shadow was obviously shot before GUN invaded the ARK and killed everyone except Shadow and the future Commander. I think SA2 suggested Gerald was away during the invasion.

Anyways, what are your favorite endings? The one's I'll pick (by stage, since saying "Dark-Dark" would get a little confusing):

- Gun HQ (Dark Path)
- Lava Shelter (Dark Path)
- Cosmic Fall (Both Paths)

kaid

Smash Master
In the Sonic X anime, when it comes to the part where it overlaps with SA2, it not only supports the idea that Shadow was created, (before the doctor went insane) but it also shows that Maria launches 2 capsules, only one of which was recovered.

As for what Eggman says... well, I havn't played the game (yet), but he's lied before.

Ashura Fan

Smash Apprentice
But its a known fact that anime, manga, movies, novels, ect. don't have any relevance to a storyline unless the series is named "Star Wars." ;)

Just joking. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of Sonic X, but I'm getting the "Project Shadow" DVD out of curiousity. I don't imagine the Super Sonic vs. Super Shadow fight I've heard about happens in those episodes though.

[edit]About 10 minutes into the fight with Devil Doom (waste time by collecting as many of the ring balloons as you can and fly close to him to make him use Chaos Control,) Eggman decides to become truthful, since he's not sure how much longer he has to live. I'll leave it at that.

Tempest 01

Smash Journeyman
This i got from "The Sonic Foundation Message Boards!!" and it's a perfect explanation of the story. I DIDN'T POST THIS!! And I'm sorry i can't remember his name I'll edit later.

*SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS*

Now for the real story.
Dr. Gerald Robotnik, in a desperate attempt to produce results on his Project Shadow (a study into the possibility of immortality), discovered the Black Arms living on a nearby comet which passes near Earth every 50 years. Coming into contact with Black Doom, an immortal being who ruled over the Black Comet, he invited him onboard to help him create the Ultimate Lifeform. Now Black Doom, who loathed humanity's greed and stupidity, wanted nothing more than to see the species cleansed of its sin, lacked the resources to guide his comet into the Earth. Thus, he struck a deal with Gerald: he would help create this Ultimate Lifeform if Gerald would present him the Chaos Emeralds. (Since the Biolizard is the 'prototype of the Ultimate Lifeform', we can assume this was Gerald's first attempt. The creature was malevolent, and considered a failure, so it was locked away) Using Black Doom's genetic code, Shadow was cooked up for the purpose of doing both tasks. However, Gerald was no fool. He created the Eclipse Cannon, in the event that Black Doom invaded the Earth with his parasitic comet, to destroy all the Black Arms. All he needed was those Emeralds...

Artificial Chaos broke out and attacked the ARK. GUN, after learning about the incident and about the dangerous immortal beings onboard, decided to kill everyone and declare the project a failure. Maria got Shadow ejected from the ARK and died for him.

-insert Sonic Adventure 2-

At the last minute, Eggman manages to rescue Shadow from space after killing the Finalhazard. Fearing Shadow might not make it, Eggman began to manufacture android clones. He keeps the original Shadow in a stasis tube in a forgot base, near some decomissioned E-series robot...

During your adventures in Shadow, Eggman lies to you and says Shadow is an android, a fake. In the final battle with Devil Doom, he admits with his dying breaths that this Shadow is the one true creation of Dr. Gerald Robotnik.

In summary, Shadow is real! Yay!
Wait... this really cheapens his death at the end of SA2. Dammit... >_<
*end spoilers**end spoilers**end spoilers**end spoilers*

Ashura Fan

Smash Apprentice
Well, it would make sense. It still doesn't explain "Sonic Battle," though I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't an official game.

Still, what happened to Maria's wish?! That played a HUGE role is turning Shadow's allegiances in SA2, but it never once was mentioned, and the cutscene it was supposed to be in was wrong?! *takes a breathe* Guess I shouldn't worry... 10-to-1 a good chunk of cutscenes weren't official...

Ashura Fan

Smash Apprentice
I'd say try it out, but don't buy it. Not until you're sure you like it, and even if you do, wait for the price to drop (which, with all the negative reviews, could be very soon.)

Sonic Rider's is looking pretty sweet,, though. It may be the one to wait for.

kaid

Smash Master
I got this for Xmas... Aside from the L button NOT being "center the camera" (unlike, oh, EVERY 3rd person GC game in existance!) I find it rather fun. I've only played it through once, got the "Kill eggman, take over his empire" ending... working on a straight Hero finish.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Sonic Rush is better than StH.

I haven't played StH, but do I really need to? Get Sonic Rush. It really is the best Sonic game to be released since the Genesis days. And (big surprise!) it's in 2D.

runaway_mario

Smash Apprentice
is STH good at all. i haven't opened it since i got it 4 christmas. should i return it or what?

kaid

Smash Master
I'm on my third time through the game- Branching storylines gives it unusual replay value for it's length.

Bosses range from cool to Fscking Annoying ("You know what they say, The more the merrier!You know what they say, The more the merrier!You know what they say, The more the merrier!")

So far, I've had missions with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Espio, Charmie, Omega, or Rouge as my "hero" mission guide, (villian guide is always Doom's Eye or Eggman's flying screen)

You can change whether you're going for the Hero objective, Villian objective, or just trying to finish the level while playing, using the D-pad or pause screen.

IMO, this game is worth playing. While not up to the 2d sonic standards, it fills in the next chapter of the Sonic Adventure storyline, and introduces some... interesting complications.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I went back and played a few levels of this game.

Not the best game ever, but at the time, it still seemed like it had the least dangerous controls of any previous 3D sonic game. And a lot of this was because by the inclusion of guns, which seemed to work better than the homing attack.

So why all the Shadow hate?

§leepy God

Smash Master
Super bump, huh Halloween. :p

This game is very underrated IMO, but the flaws to me was the controls of the game, and the fact they didn't make it rated T for Teen. O_o

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I know, it's a super bump, but I only plan to do that with games I have a genuine interest in (Okami, here I come).

I looked at some old fan comments, and the guns were being criticized before the game even came out. That's just not right. I actually went back and found that in addition to the guns and vehicles, shadow could walk on walls and pick up crates to throw at people, not to mention that most of the camera problems could be solved by using the c-stick to adjust the camera. Not to mention some of the stages are probably among the most epic Sega has designed. Stage one starts with a bang, middle path stage 4 is an egg armada versus alien armada (which you created in neutral mission stage 2), and the evil mission quests concerning the president - I'm not sure what to think of those.

To be totally honest, I know the controls are flawed, but I do not criticize them at all because I expected them. Your character rollerskates at 300 mph, and the controls feel like you playing a character that is rollerskating at 300 mph. I don't expect Shadow to turn on a dime, to accelerate quickly or to necesarily be able to shoot accurately without slowing down, because of the implied mechanics of the rocket-skates. Nice mask for the fact that the controls have some fundamental problems.

Oddly enough, one of my friends who never played a 3D sonic game was a huge fan of Shadow, the character. Where do all these Shadow fans come from?

Top Bottom