• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadow the hedgehog

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

Yeah...you read that title right.

At the ‘Walk of Game’ event, SEGA unveiled the first public announcement that they would be publishing a brand new Sonic the Hedgehog title for unspecified platforms in Q4 2005. Currently entitled Shadow the Hedgehog, the new title focuses heavily on Shadow, the ‘ultimate life-form’ created by Dr. Robotnik.

In what seems to be following a similar style of gameplay as the Sonic Adventure series, Shadow the Hedgehog will enable Shadow the Hedgehog to carry around a gun and shoot objects and enemies in the surrounding environment. Exact details about the game’s story, characters and gameplay have yet to be confirmed, although the trailer does pose the question, “Hero or Villain?”, and then soon after, “You decide.”. As of now it looks like gamers will unravel the mysterious story behind Shadow’s heritage, however, your guess is as good as ours at the moment.

No specific details were given as to what consoles Shadow the Hedgehog will be featured on, however, it’s a good bet that a Gamecube version is a given, as well as a possible PS2 release. Expect to hear further details on Shadow the Hedgehog in May at E3 2005, or even sooner.

Now what I find interesting, is that some of the pics show what looks like some really beefed up aliens. I hope that doesn't mean he was abducted before he died....asuming they carry on from SA:2. (Keeping in mind I haven't played SH, so I don't know what excuse, if any was given) That and the game so far, doesn't have those stupid "Find the gems/keys" levels.

Trailer Link

javascript:launchGSL("/live/streamer_new2.html?title=Shadow+the+Hedgehog+Official+Trailer+1&path=shadowthh_0308m1.asx&pid=926672", "", 718, 500)

And some prety pics.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Wow. This has the potential to be the best Sonic game released in a while. It also has the potential to suck, so I guess we'll see.

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman
OMG!1 It's like... all the hardcore action in Devil May Cry in a Sonix gamz.

Seriously, it looks so out of proportion. Shadow... holding a gun? What the. How about Sega making a new 2D sonic game for it's home consoles borrowing elements from Viewtiful Joe? I mean... when I saw him holding a gun, I just shut off the trailer. The past three 3D Sonic games have had the fun factor of math class and the 2D ones haven't been all that memorable. Sonic belongs in 2D and they should really work hard at making a kick *** 2D one for the home consoles.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Look children, the S3&K fans are crying sacrelige! We're a bit too attached to the old games for our own good. SH would've gotten better reviews had no-one remembered S3&K... ARRGGGHHH.

I'm undecided at this point.

I love the gameplay.

I HATE THE **** GUN.

Naka needs to refine that turd weapon IMMEDIATELY. I'll have more faith in this project IF ONLY they fix that **** gun.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by TheMagicalKuja
Look children, the S3&K fans are crying sacrelige! We're a bit too attached to the old games for our own good. SH would've gotten better reviews had no-one remembered S3&K... ARRGGGHHH.
No, Sonic Heroes was just overall a ****ty Sonic game. I was very disappointed in the game so much I actually sold it(something that is very rare for me to do, if never). That three character setup thing annoyed the **** out of me. The first two Sonic Adventures were fine, but Heroes, WTF happened?

DaleG

Smash Apprentice
Heh, I heard about this as well....
It will be horrible. Wtf is Sonic Team Smoking?

Also, here
is an article about the game, and here is the trailer Mic tried to make play.

Doesn't look all too great of a game, it seems like their trying too hard to impress the fans-but they've failed miserably in my mind. I mean, the graphics are the same as SH, and if you haven't noticed, Shadow's sprite is the same as well. The gameplay is the same as Sonic Heroes, but you switch your guns instead of your teammates, which is a bad idea. I mean, the one thing Sonic Heroes had going for it was the ability to hurl Tails and Amy to the ground....

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by McFox
Wow. This has the potential to be the best Sonic game released in a while.
I really hope you're joking. In fact, I really hope this whole game is just a joke. Look at that gun! LOOK AT IT! I have never seen anything so out of place in a Sonic game in my life, and I've put up with a lot of crap in my Sonic games recently. I have lost all faith in Sega.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Arrow
I really hope you're joking. In fact, I really hope this whole game is just a joke. Look at that gun! LOOK AT IT! I have never seen anything so out of place in a Sonic game in my life, and I've put up with a lot of crap in my Sonic games recently. I have lost all faith in Sega.
Dude, but, guns = badass...

loserlad89

Smash Ace
This game does look kind of ****ed up. but hey, nothing can be worse than hours upon hours of looking for little shards of that god forsaken master emerald.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
so let me get this straight: the new sonic game that's being made has you playing someone other than sonic AND sporting a gun???

dubya tee eff....

DaleG

Smash Apprentice
Another reason this game will go nowhere:Hedgehogs don't have opposable thumbs. You might say that they could just alter this, but consider this.The Sonic/Shadow sprites from SA2 and SH had 4 fingers. 4! Now, if they try to add a thumb for Shadow to grip the gun, this game would become the worst in history. Even worse than the sack of petrid filth known as "Elmo's Letter Adventure". That game was way too hard to be enjoyable by anybody anywhere :(

Night Strife

Banned via Administration
OMFG. This game is gonna suck so bad. I really hope that is sp sort of joke. I mean Sonic Heros was horrible, and now this. They should just quit the gaming industry. I love Sonic games but these is not sonic, not even close.

Lightsaberboy, this is not the first sonce game without sonic. There have a been a few games were you were just Tails, and so you were just Knuckles.

DaleG: In one of the pics you see Shadow with a gun and you can see onm his other hand he has a thumb. Yea...they already thought of that

*Sigh* I'm losing my faith on sonic, and I think there is no way they can change it. I love SAB:2, I got all the emblems. Something I did do in SH I something I will never do. They need it to be like SAB:2 and last but least Chao. Man that was the best part of SAB:2.

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Night Strife

Lightsaberboy, this is not the first sonce game without sonic. There have a been a few games were you were just Tails, and so you were just Knuckles.
I dunno about Tails having his own game seeing as he wasn't the cool character. Knuckles did have his Chaotix or Kaotix (I have no clue) series.

Every company does it. They introduce a new character and if the character is loved and praised he gets his own game. Megaman X to Megaman Zero.

Night Strife

Banned via Administration
Tails DID have his own game. It was something or other. Yea sometimes they make games like Megaman, then have another game about Zero, but it doesn't happen oten.

All in all this game is gonna suck

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
To the above arguments:

Yes, now that I look closely, it does seem to resemble heroes a bit too much for its own good. But no, Shadow having a gun is not an affront to humanity, although it doesn't... fit. For the fan's sake. GET RID OF IT.

I'm still very convince that the people immediately writing off this game as sucking PLAYED WAY TOO MUCH S3&K. SA2, the Heroes backlash... urrrgghhh. I'm SICK OF IT. Better Sonic games (Sonic CD, Advance 3) get the shaft because fanboys are too busy crying "OMFG TEH NU SAW-NIK GAMES ARE TEH INSULT TO SAW-NIK! S3&K FOREVARR!!!1oneone!1". Because of this outcry I can never appreciate that game again. And besides the final battles upon the Death Egg (cheapened by subsequent appearences in the Advance games), what's so special about this game anyway?

Turbos

Smash Cadet
o_O Dale?! I didn't know you were on Smashworld!
Oh yeah... anyway:

I swear... if they leave those Real World firearms in this game...

It makes me sick how Sega could stoop this low. I mean, in Sonic Adventure, the S.W.A.T. team had guns for the big emergency. No problem there. Gamma had a Gun for a hand, which shot these energy-type thingies, that's fine too.

Sonic Adventure 2, Once again, the S.W.A.T. team when Sonic was framed as a dangerous criminal. And Robotnik holding amy hostage, That looked like some futuristic lazer gun.

Sonic Heroes, Omega was a war robot. The machiene gun was downplayed by the flame thrower and catoony drill-missle launcher. The explosions were cartoony to some extent too.

This game... ugh. Now, the levels, they look fine. And the dark ones could even pass as being loacted in Hell. It's no biggie there, even Um Jammer Lammy did that! That chaos control warp thing looks tight! Very awsome feature put into the game. The ability to take advantage of the functions of his hover shoes is wonderful. The enemies are good, they look like mutants or demons or whatever... also fitting that some levels might belocated in Hell too. The blinding speed seems faster than in any other Sonic game (Heroes could go that fast, it's just you could never find a place to reach that speed.). The one and onlyng that makes me wanna vomit is the fact that Shadow has his hands on a piece. a .44 Magnum or something, shooting real rounds and the bloow effects and the like. Hey, why not keep the Energy shots from all the other games? they've done fine before. They could have done even better 'cause they were rarely used. The RW guns are a big-time no-no. If they happen to keep this, I can guarentee that this game will NOT be allowed in my collection. My mom's that way about games, music, videos, TV, ect.

C'mon Sega... change the gun!

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
I'm still very convince that the people immediately writing off this game as sucking PLAYED WAY TOO MUCH S3&K. SA2, the Heroes backlash... urrrgghhh. I'm SICK OF IT. Better Sonic games (Sonic CD, Advance 3) get the shaft because fanboys are too busy crying "OMFG TEH NU SAW-NIK GAMES ARE TEH INSULT TO SAW-NIK! S3&K FOREVARR!!!1oneone!1". Because of this outcry I can never appreciate that game again. And besides the final battles upon the Death Egg (cheapened by subsequent appearences in the Advance games), what's so special about this game anyway?
Wrong. Those who immediately condemn this game do so because they have the abilities to recognize past trends and to sense desperation.

And by the way, I doubt that I have put more than three or four hours into that game which offends you so.

Steel Kangaroo

Smash Ace
One Sonic Game Worse than This...

I know of one sonic game that will be worse than this: Sonic R. Sonic R was the biggest pile of crap I have EVER played. It was for Saturn, and had HORRIBLE graphics and was so stupid. So...at least there's a game that is worse than this is going to be.

DaleG

Smash Apprentice
..................................................................................................................
Sonic R was bad. Sonic Schoolhouse was worse.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Re: One Sonic Game Worse than This...

Originally posted by Steel Kangaroo
I know of one sonic game that will be worse than this: Sonic R. Sonic R was the biggest pile of crap I have EVER played. It was for Saturn, and had HORRIBLE graphics and was so stupid. So...at least there's a game that is worse than this is going to be.
Correction; just about everything on the Saturn was crap....not just Sonic R.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I heard the Saturn version of 3-D Blast had better music than the Genesis one... :p

Or am I wrong?

There are some new screenshots of this game up, and as well, it's theorized that this game could span across many time periods (the 50 years ago time, post SA2, and even post Battle)

Oh, and Penny Arcade sucks. They're taking cruel postshots and it's NOT FUNNY.

Turbos

Smash Cadet
I heard the Saturn version of 3-D Blast had better music than the Genesis one... :p
It's kinda of a mixed bag. Some songs were better, some were worse.
Example: Genesis pwn'd Saturn for GreenHill, Spring Stadium, and Diamond Dust.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
hmmm... looks like they're trying to follow up on Ratchet and Clank's success.
this has the potential to be a hit or a miss. let's hope its a hit.

I've been one of the biggest Sonic fans of all time, but if there has ever been a bad Sonic game, it definitely is Sonic Shuffle, in fact, I liked Sonic Heroes, it was fun to me, I see that now Shadow is getting his own game game but like everyone has said: I don't like that gun

Let's just hpoe it comes out on PC to have the chance to play it

Ashura Fan

Smash Apprentice
To the above arguments:

Yes, now that I look closely, it does seem to resemble heroes a bit too much for its own good. But no, Shadow having a gun is not an affront to humanity, although it doesn't... fit. For the fan's sake. GET RID OF IT.

I tend to agree with this. Its only been a month since the game was made public, so a lot could change... and hopefully does. Otherwise, I'm going to say that I'm not going to write this game off until I play it. Some poeple thought the same for Wind Waker and Mario Sunshine, and both exceeded expectation (Well, I don't exactly have proof of this, but they turned out better than I expected at least.)

Personally, Shadow should ditch the classic handgun and buy himself a PSO handgun...

Turbos

Smash Cadet
Originally posted by master jiggywiggy 45
yup

that one

it was ****ing bad
Shuffle rocked! It had better mini games than Mario Party!
well... for the most part... Sonic Live, Sonic DJ, and Fun Fun Sonic just blew everything else away. SoniCola just sucked.

KingMewtwo1112

Smash Journeyman
Huh? I liked Sonic R...>_>;

Anyway, I don't think this game will be crap, but the gun DOES look weird..I guess we'll just have to wait for new info on it. I wonder if there will be other Sonic characters besides Shadow?

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Dr. Eggman's been confirmed. Maybe he'll actually be threatening this time. :p

New trailer's up.

http://sonic-xtreme.net/theshadowrealm/media/videos/games/shadowthehedgehog2.wmv

You can now weep with joy/horror as Shadow now has a sword. Yes, a SWORD. Plus a rocket launcher, and there's even a ride on an alien bird.

This is shaping up to be like a high speed Ratchet and Clank. Is that a good thing?

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
After watching that trailer, I don't see what you guys are worried about. The gameplay looks relatively the same with some extras added to it. It looks like the basic mechanics are still there but more to work from. I don't see how this will hurt the game.

Exovel

Smash Ace
how depressing. i grew up with sonic, my first ever video game was Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for Genesis and now i own every sonic genesis game, and they're by far the best. GUNS!!! i swear something bad will happen if Sonic eventually becomes a pathetic rip-off of James Bond. how terribly depressing, nothing good can come from this...

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
^The prejudgment faries ***** you last night, didn't they?

Firstly, that's not Sonic, that's SHADOW. Secondly if people would just get over the "OMGHEHASTEHGUNZ" and actually look at it, they might actually see something decent of this game.

I got chased out a discussion topic from another forum about this game because the 2-D fanboys were HORRIBLE. Because I actually defended the game, they said I was some "11 yr old who likes TEH GUNZ YO". One was even ****ING STUPID enough to blame 3-D Sonic for THE FALL OF THE DREAMCAST. ARGGH, IT'S SO ****ING STUPID!

Please actually have a reason to hate the game and not equate Shadow with the sinking of the Titanic.

Edit: Oh, wait, YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE THE GUN! YEEESSSSSSSS!

I copied this big thing from SonicFanatic over at the Sonic Foundation so I didn't have to parse all those URLS:

Okay, folks - today saw the release of Nintendo Official Magazine #153, a Shadow the Hedgehog special. Much news has been released here. As usual, I have the scans (hotlink at your own PERIL):

Cover
Contents Page
Page 1 double-spread
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9 double spread (Iizuka-san interview)

And some sexy poster character art:
Poster 1
Poster 2

Now, some highlights to be drawn from all this:
-Page 4 has shots of the enemies, and one of the bosses, apparently - a strange cycloptic creature. Could this be an alien invasion of some sort? They sure as hell aren't 'mobians'.
-It has been revealed that the gun ISN'T crucial to the gameplay. In perhaps a very wise move, Sonic Team have made this game playable by traditional Sonic means - spin dashes can take the place of laser blasts.
- The guns are also pretty varied - from pistols to alser blasters and rocket launchers - playing with these should be fun, if we can get over the image of Shadow with a bazooka.
- The environments are largely destructable - buildings can be destroyed etc. adding a new game mechanic to be sure (page 5).
- As seen on page 4, Shadow can jump inside cannons and lay down some serious fire on ships and large enemies, as well as being able to use vehicles like cars and, on page 8, animals.
-Finally, contrary to my own beliefs, to be sure, Iizuka-san (head of Sonic Team USA, interviewed on page 9) has hinted at multiple platforms when asked about Gamecube-exclusive content. "...our ultimate goal is to create a seamless game experience with Shadow The Hedgehog of all consumers no matter what platform they own."

So, uh, yeah.

Top Bottom