• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SFSU Brawl Singles Bi-Weekly - May 10th (BRING WII + SSBB!)

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
I'm liking Lucien logic here. After we all get the game and have more opinions, we'll finalize our tournament rules.

Zoap , I saw your game at the San Francisco Pre release. That was my buddy you had to face there. He totally luck sacked with you knuckle Joe and the Dragoon. XD.

Zoap

Smash Master
not to mention the classic controller ****ing my ****. everytime i tried to jump i did toad lololol

The___cheese

Smash Lord
Just curious, were any of you Richmond/San Pablo kids playing SSBM at Contra Costa College today?
At ten in the morning, but otherwise, no.

We've taught some of them to be able to hold their own though.

I'm a white guy that plays Falcon though, If that helps lol.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
Ah. I think I vaguely remember that match. For some reason, I can't remember most of Chill's games. I'm thinking that it might be because everyone was in the way, but I don't know.

I wanna see that footage of Chill vs. T!mmy, though. From what you told me, it must be priceless.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I guess people are intent on being ban-happy even before the metagame has had a chance to respond.

Nobody knows anything about game balance. It doesn't make sense to ban a stage because of balance issues at this point. The only criteria we should use are excessive randomness and things that change the game drastically. Even then notice that 'excessive' and 'drastic' are both subjective. But for example, in my opinion Green Greens has too much randomness because of blocks, bombs, etc. And Hyrule changes the game drastically, even if you discount the balance and camping issues, because it becomes a contest of the Cave of Life, which is far too different from the way the game is played on other stages.

Banning a stage because of some supposedly 'broken' tactic is myopic IMO.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
I feel you Hyuga. But Im sure you will agree some stages are obviously bogus. Game and Watch stage, etc.

oh and Chill Vs. Timmy; Chill was completely demoralized in that match. lawl. His face on camera, is absolutely priceless.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
At ten in the morning, but otherwise, no.

We've taught some of them to be able to hold their own though.

I'm a white guy that plays Falcon though, If that helps lol.
I'm not sure if I saw a Falcon player there, though there were several white guys, lol. I was passing by some cafeteria place at around 10-11AM when I heard some Smash. I thought I was hallucinating but there they were, two stations. I was the bald pierced guy in the dark plaid shirt with boots.. if THAT helps, haha. I sat down beside some guy playing Luigi. And the FFA match and a half I saw was ok, nothing too pro. I was hoping it would be though. People should play there more.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Oceanborn. Good Album.

I feel you Hyuga. But Im sure you will agree some stages are obviously bogus. Game and Watch stage, etc.
Yes, but not because of balance issues. New Pork City, 75m, Rumble Falls, etc fall under the 'changes the game' criterion. I haven't played the game enough to know the details of the random elements of each stage, but WarioWare and Pictochat would be candidates for the excessive randomness criterion. Bridge of Eldin, Shadow Moses, etc fall under neither of these so I find no reason to ban them. Heck even Mushroomy Kingdom could be fine for a counter (probably not though, but who knows).

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
its really not that hard for a dedede to chaingrab you to the end of bridge of eldin or infinitely on the walls of shadow moses. Dedede can chaingrab most characters and his grab range is like marths. Falco can also chaingrab with his dthrow near the edge and forces you forward like dedede (though ends at much lower percents).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7M-WMrOszRg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PsqLfE5yZ6g

The___cheese

Smash Lord
FFAs aren't going to look pro, ever lol.

I suppose you would of noticed if I was there, because it usually looks like a large object displacing water.

Edit: just curious, would you like to 5 dollar money match?

3/5 tourney rules etc.

shadowlink3

Smash Journeyman
its really not that hard for a dedede to chaingrab you to the end of bridge of eldin or infinitely on the walls of shadow moses. Dedede can chaingrab most characters and his grab range is like marths. Falco can also chaingrab with his dthrow near the edge and forces you forward like dedede (though ends at much lower percents).

ya, also SMI has the walls... So it only really helps chars that have good up killing to have a extreme advantage. I do believe some of the melee stages should be counter picks

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if I saw a Falcon player there, though there were several white guys, lol. I was passing by some cafeteria place at around 10-11AM when I heard some Smash. I thought I was hallucinating but there they were, two stations. I was the bald pierced guy in the dark plaid shirt with boots.. if THAT helps, haha. I sat down beside some guy playing Luigi. And the FFA match and a half I saw was ok, nothing too pro. I was hoping it would be though. People should play there more.
I now i got there at 11 something cuz i had just gotten out of class. Im usually there at around 11 or 12ish with my giant art case. next time just ask some of them if casey, jose, or joe are there.

$nuggles

Smash Journeyman
Lawl hmmm I think I might need a doubles partner for Brawl.... Where's Burr O.o Lawl purp TL ftw. See you guys this Friday!

btw, would anyone know exactly what time the brawl tourney at gamestop is?

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283

I wasn't really impressed by the Bridge of Eldin one. In both cases you can clearly see Ike's shield pop up meaning he could have escaped it. As far as the Shadow Moses one, yes it looks definitely easier to do, but a person who is aware of the tactic will know not to be anywhere near a wall vs Dedede. I'm not saying these techniques aren't inescapable or broken, I'm saying we can't possibly know for sure until we give the metagame a chance to respond. Or you could just not pick a character that gets CG'd like this. Sheik basically single-handedly created low tiers with her CG's, so people stopped using them against Sheik. Is that so much to ask against Dedede? Wobbling still seems more imbalanced than this to me since it works on everyone, and I never thought wobbling should have been banned.

Yes. Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean ftw.
Hmm, I don't really care for that one to be honest. I'll take Gethsemane.

$nuggles

Smash Journeyman
Is the Dedede CG comboable into a kill move? Or can you escape it once he stops CG? Either way the excuse for wobbling and CG in Melee was simply "don't get grabbed." I'm pretty sure that in Brawl people will have good enough timing and mindgames to avoid CG... I'm sure the ONLY way Dedede's CG can overruled in any way is if the majority of smashers only pick Dedede in those situations, which I highly doubt. W/e about 2 days left for Brawl, so everyone be happy. 8D

NoR4U29

Smash Apprentice
$nuggles has good mind games ^^
My brother and a couple of people were trying to think of a crew name. The one they have at the moment is garbage. I dislike it so much.
Which reminds me. Lucien. Where did you crew rank? Above Bayasians or below? I think there are more crews being formed.
CGC's, Bayasians, DBR, My brothers (which I don't think I'll join), and many others.

NoR4U29

Smash Apprentice
You'll just have to come to SFSU and see or look up NoR4U (Pit)
It'll show me mindgaming my brother into getting killed by his partner.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
My brother and a couple of people were trying to think of a crew name. The one they have at the moment is garbage. I dislike it so much.
Which reminds me. Lucien. Where did you crew rank? Above Bayasians or below? I think there are more crews being formed.
CGC's, Bayasians, DBR, My brothers (which I don't think I'll join), and many others.
dont forget about Knights of The East Bay. TLA is confusing. i was in it and i dont even know whos in it. we have to play more NoR, we need to get more ganon vs peach on corneria. xD

NoR4U29

Smash Apprentice
Right. A.G.S. **** that was **** KG in your favor. But good matches all the same. I think in friendlies I beat you with Yoshi. I think or was that Sfat.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
i dont think you played me with yoshi. i know you beat my falco with peach and i think my pichu with peach ut no yoshi.

$nuggles

Smash Journeyman
well how good are YOUR mindgames?
Lawl I have mindgame h4x. Rank #1 in Norcal baby LOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLL. I hate myself.

So for the Brawl release I made a shirt with a purple Toon Link and it says "I got purple."
And I put a little subliminal message and gave Toon Link a joint.

As for crews.... Bayflips ftw! Lawlawlawl.

NoR4U29

Smash Apprentice
lol $nuggles we know your on so shrooms man. lol.
Anyways I think we should play more. I haven't played a Ganon like yours before. Their usually bad but yours was..wow. I couldn't even get him into my typical chains. And Peach is suppose to be good against him.
Which means the better man one that one. Brawl is a different story though.
Also Pocky friendlies can show how good others are against one another.

Zoap

Smash Master
$nuggles has good mind games ^^
Wow just leave out so many old good crews. Deep Norcal, Blue Phoenixes, Teamscape, FTA along with other have all proved themselves in crew battles. Bayasians no longer are a crew they self destructed much like an electrode does. TLA never played one of the top crews in norcal so its hard to rank them. Based off the fact that Lucien and Phil(Dread) are very good I doubt they would do horrible.

Sheridan complains ALOT jesus calm down. I think bridge of eldin is a good stage though

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
friendlies can show how good others are against one another.
You can't ever know how playing in friendlies will translate to playing in tourney. You can only know how much of your all YOU gave in the battle, you have no idea what your opponent's mindset was, and you shouldn't assume it was the same as yours. Even if you win while just messing around, that doesn't tell you anything because you have no idea how hard the other person was trying. Friendlies are for trying new things out, not for proving skill to one another. Of course, if one plays 100% and still loses consistenly in friendlies, he can be pretty sure he's not the better player.

Wow just leave out so many old good crews. Deep Norcal, Blue Phoenixes, Teamscape, FTA along with other have all proved themselves in crew battles. Bayasians no longer are a crew they self destructed much like an electrode does. TLA never played one of the top crews in norcal so its hard to rank them. Based off the fact that Lucien and Phil(Dread) are very good I doubt they would do horrible.

Sheridan complains ALOT jesus calm down. I think bridge of eldin is a good stage though
Haha, if anything I'm the one least complaining. It's other people that are complaining that we need to ban things left and right; I'm just trying to be the voice of moderation and science.

Deep Norcal is ****ing amazing btw.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
Hyuga, you definitely are giving this debate more shape. coming next Saturday? I need my rematch from that one time at E for All! XD

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
If only Chill was down here, then we could debut our crew next saturday. Otherwise, it'd just be Me, Chris, and Jake. Since BMac works all the time now, I'm pretty sure he'd not be able to make it.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I now i got there at 11 something cuz i had just gotten out of class. Im usually there at around 11 or 12ish with my giant art case. next time just ask some of them if casey, jose, or joe are there.
Art case? Happend to be taking any art classes on Mon/Weds? If so, I may have seen you and/or vice versa. But yeah definitely, next time I'm around I'll ask. Makes me wonder though, will you guys actually bring Wiis to CCC? Haha. (Since Brawls gonna be out this weekend I mean.)

Hmm, I don't really care for that one to be honest. I'll take Gethsemane.
Gotta love Gethsemane as well. Especially the instrumental. But I don't know, the Devil and the Deep song seems like it could have been telling the epic tale of Cthulhu rising from the ocean along with his city R'lyeh in an apocalytpic setting (ending with his downfall). Maybe it's just my imagination. Probably is. But it makes a good SSB battlesong though, especially where they say "All hail the Oceanborn!". Hm. I'm a nerd.

Top Bottom