• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SFP Video Critique Thread

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOtXabuRlHo

I had an offline friendly with a certain player of a certain character, neither of should be mentioned due to the potential for ugly namesearches. =P

I only put this video up for educational purposes (in other words, so that you guys could help me get better) so in a few days I will be taking it down. I didn't have a chance to ask my opponent if it was OK to upload this, so in order to make sure the video doesn't circulate outside our boards too much it will only be up for a short while.

Thanks guys.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Stop getting stuff that shouldn't be working (i.e. why did you shoot Paralyzer into a Toad, then run at the toad when he had already used Toad twice before?) Otherwise, you seemed... hesitant, especially at the beginning.

Finally, use Yoshi's Story to your advantage, and take as many opportunities to camp under the platform as you can. Uair is much better in that position than usmash. Keep that in mind.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Holy **** that game was slow, also how the hell did you land so many grabs I mean **** son does dark peach never side step.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
The game was played on an LCD screen so each action we entered took about 1/5th a second to register, it threw us both off a little bit.

Plus honestly 16 frames is still pretty near human reaction time as long as you aren't grabbing at every opportunity, you should get at least one or two. The start-up time for the grab isn't my problem with it, its the whiffing.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I felt like you weren't agressive enough definitely, especially at the start when you had the piece in your hand, I saw a couple times where I was expecting you to nail him and it never came.

You used dsmash a few times when you were way to close to safely do so, and while you got away with it most of the time you did get punished once or twice, and an opponent who knows the matchup will probably punish more frequently.

IMO he didn't know the matchup very well at all.

And I could definitely see the effect of lag on both of your playing, I think he could have PSed a lot of stuff and you sometimes would try and attack where he was a while before, and you wouldn't react to some obvious stuff that he did. IMO, if there's that much lag its pretty tough to actually see how good someone is.

Hence

Smash Ace
The only reason you managed to win a match is because, quite frankly, you're not Snakeee. Your ZSS is unorthadox. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is a decision left up to you.

1. Your armor piece game is atrocious. Plan out in your mind what you're going to do ahead of time to avoid losing the opportunity to use your armor pieces.

2. Stop wasting your second jump when you're obviously not going to be able to hit an above opponent. You're much better off returning to the stage, positioning yourself below them, and then attempting to juggle.

3. Limit your B-Airs... Use an U-Air or F-air in its place once in a while. You're being incredibly predictable.

4. S T O P shield stopping your runs that excessively. It's almost as if you're losing sight of when and where your character is supposed to be in order to punish the opponent.
Comparitive to our neutral b against a shield, the opponent is predictable in when they will drop their shield. Just like in your case with shield stopped runs. They're ever so punishable.

5. Your edge game is predictable and lackluster. A good player like Dark Pch. isn't going to get hit by a charged D-Smash upon recovery everytime. Why charge a D-Smash everytime? Mix it up not only to avoid being predictable, but to add even a little ounce of variety to your game.

6. B-Roll NO. F-Roll wisely.

7. Recover in more than two ways. Full jump and Flip Jump/Kick just don't cut it against players who know the match-up or care to edge guard.

8. Peach's U-Smash has greater priority than Flip Jump Kick. Even if you can strike before the hitbox of U-Smash is out, you should still use it with caution. Also, I noticed that you didn't know YI very well. Your attempts to flip jump on to the stage were met with the slope adjacent to the edge. You can drop down and away from the stage to avoid this.

Meh.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Ah, Hence! I assume you have had a sudden urge to become active here again and aren't just here because you have found an excuse to pick at my playing. :)

Thanks folks for the help. Video will be down today.

Hence

Smash Ace
You wanted a critique, SFP.

Our boards are dead and our metagame is going nowhere. The only active people are those still struggling with learning ZSS. Bonsoir.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Our boards are dead and our metagame is going nowhere. The only active people are those still struggling with learning ZSS. Bonsoir.
How was this necessary in any way? Or constructive for that matter. BTW you don't seem to have a clue about our current metagame. just sayin

Blind Fremen

Smash Cadet
I plan on posting vidz within the next two weeks. I WILL SINGLE-HANDEDLY SAVE THE ZSS BOARDS!

Also, I found a cool thing. dsmash > dsmash > jab > jab (not 3 jabs, just 2) = the other character freezes and looks funny.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Blind free man I found that out like over 1/2 a year ago and was posting about it, it appears to add hitstun to the d-smash but that may just be me, try d-smash,jabx2,jabx2, then f-air its p. **** good for descaling.

How was this necessary in any way? Or constructive for that matter. BTW you don't seem to have a clue about our current metagame. just sayin
Really I found p. much everything he said to be right, I just didn't want to be mean, I was like HOW THE HELL ARE YOU WINNING, but then again my friend picked up ZSS for like the third time today and did just as good against our top MK as I did, he literally grabbed him over 20 times in one match *because I almost never grab...

Of course round 2 went quite a bit different.

Also yeah pivot roll when you need to backroll, I know I have been over this before but seriously people.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Wait, you saw one match. How do you know I would have grabbed again in match2?

I agree with Hence that my playstyle is very weird. It's hesitant on purpose (sometimes not moving or doing anything is a good mindgame, or even frequently). However, this was not match 1. He played me 2-3 times and I won those matches too. He did eventually start to beat me, but only a few times before I had to leave.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Really I found p. much everything he said to be right, I just didn't want to be mean
By all means critique the vid, that's the point of the thread. But he just randomly comes out with this
like it has something to do with anything we're talking about. If you're going to bring up something that doesn't need to be brought up in the first place, atleast post it at a time where it's appropriate to do so.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Also, lol at Hence not being someone who is "struggling" to learn ZSS. Where are all your placings, guy? Oh, right. You're as bad as the rest of us.

Honestly Nefarious is probably the best player here who posts actively.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Wait, you saw one match. How do you know I would have grabbed again in match2?

I agree with Hence that my playstyle is very weird. It's hesitant on purpose (sometimes not moving or doing anything is a good mindgame, or even frequently). However, this was not match 1. He played me 2-3 times and I won those matches too. He did eventually start to beat me, but only a few times before I had to leave.
Yep sometimes just standing there owns, I remember I made a thread awhile back, best mixup = do nothing... and like nobody really commented on it.

I am normally a bit more normal, but its normally struggling for the best position rather than landing a blow.

I have seriously had matches where both of us are in a good safe posistion and we just sit there until the stage transforms or does something to change the situation.

Smashville is the most subtle one the posistion of the platform makes such a big difference.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
One of my favorite mind ****s is just to condition them to try and PS whenever i come in with a bair, then either fall behind and jab or simply faint in and then do a retreating side b, as it messes up their timing, and since side b is safe against most normal shields it tends to go unpunished.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Just an observation, but I use bair a lot more for spacing than you do. I feel like your juggle game and ledge guarding game could use some work personally. In the zelda matchup, you're facing a character with slow fall speed and mediocre aerial movement, this should be juggle **** zone for you but it seemed to me that you weren't baiting the airdodges well enough, or wouldn't follow his horizontal movement well enough most of the time, and this woulda helped you build a lot of damage.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I was just telling Snakeeeeeeeeeeee that my juggle game isn't so hot so I agree. I play ZSS really horizontally which probably isn't good lol

Anyway this TV was better than the one we used last time, I hope that it is visible.

BTW, anyone know how the hell to SDI Zelda's usmash? lol

shlike

Smash Ace
i liked the way you ended the last match. you played significantly better in that match because you played slightly more aggressive. ZSS's up close game is decent ( except against certain higher tier characters) and zelda's up close game is not as good as zss's ( utilt/uair oos), dtilt) im also pretty sure you can shield grab zelda's fsmash.

dont be afraid to get up close ( dtilt is AMAZING ) and although dazlock is good sometimes a dash attack to utilt/dtilt would be a better option as it forces your opponent into the air and zss's air game is the ONLY thing that makes her tourney viable.

learn to maintain pressure without putting yourself to much at risk (spacing)

all in all good stuff keep it up.

p.s. what frame does a buffered dash attack come out on?

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
sfp, just a tip, taking videos off of youtube doesnt mean ppl cant see them. There are tools which let people download these videos, and i used one so i could see that match. Just so you know for the future.

solecalibur

Smash Master
sfp, just a tip, taking videos off of youtube doesnt mean ppl cant see them. There are tools which let people download these videos, and i used one so i could see that match. Just so you know for the future.
Even if its removed you can download it? Wow nice didnt know that
but I did download it for future reference but was that match with TV lag or wifi lag?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
The first one I uploaded had TV lag. The second two also had some, but significantly less as the TV we were using was a lot better and we used component cables.

So there was still some, but I would say it didn't matter much.

BioDG

Smash Ace
Since this is a critique thread, I guess I'll put in as much as I can.

Great stuff in the Link video. Nothing to really say there. Though it looks like you could have played more defensively in the Zelda video. You seemed open yourself up into Zelda's attacks/projectiles often from constantly trying to get within a close attacking range.

I would also suggest that you work on chains (if that's the right term to use). There were a few times where you had Zelda set up for some great punishing opportunities. The first one was after you caught her in your 2x D-smash. And I agree that the juggling (Uair, at least) needs improvement. Whenever you were trying to catch her from falling back to the stage, your Uair game was all over the place, which often opened you up to an attack. It might also help that you use the neutral B more often than you do. I barely noticed you using it, yet I feel as though it comes in handy very often, especially in being a relatively low-risk attack if used well.

I'd say your biggest assets are your use of the DAC, you space well with bair (though I wouldn't hover in the air before doing it quite as much), and you do great with being patient in your grabs (most people rely on it too much). You seem to also have a good suit part game, with what little was shown.

Anyway, there's my two cents as you requested with the thread.

Top Bottom