• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sexism in my gym class! (Warning: Rant)

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
I wasn't entirely sure if I should have put this in here or the debate hall, but it matters not, young ones. For future reference, I'm a guy.

In my phys. ed. class, we started a new unit this week on team handball. Most people have probably played this, but here's how it works: Two teams of around 6 people are in a match. There are two goal areas, with a crease, and a goalie. The rest of the team does anything they can. You can only hold the ball (Which is a kind of bouncy volley-ball in my class) for 3 seconds (Then you have to pass), and you are allowed to take 3 steps if it's in your hands as well. The opposite team cannot hit it out of your hands, but they can steal it once it's in the air.

Okay, those are all of the rules, except for one, which is unique to my school, and my biggest gripe. When shooting into the goal, a girl can throw directly in, while a boy is not allowed. Boys have to bounce the ball in, which basically makes it impossible to score on a decent goalie.

Of course, when this rule was announced, all the boys in the the class groaned, but it's more than just an annoyance, it's a predjudice. It is ridiculous to say that a boy is instantly better than throwing a ball than a girl. There is nothing at all that prevents a girl from throwing just as hard as a boy. It's like saying to a tennis player, "You may be faster than your oponent, so you have to wear ski boots intead of sneakers so that you can't use that advantage."

That is exactly what the rule does, really, it prevents a boy from using his skill. It's not like boys actually have a physical advantage over girls, they both have the potential to be strong. I can understand that the gym teachers wouldn't want us pegging the volleyball at eachother, but wouldn't it make more sense to ban pegging the ball, intead of stereotyping and saying that boys are the only ones who can beam it that hard?

I wouldn't make such a big deal about this if A) The unit doesn't last 3 weeks, and B) The rule doesn't put such a disadvantage on me and my team, but it does. I would say that I have one of the worst teams in the class. I'm the only one on the team who's really that athletic, to be honest. We've played two games so far, and as a team, we haven't scored a single goal in either. I am the one who usually does the most in a game, and I've had the most shots on goal by far. It's extreemly hard just to get the ball up the field and take a shot, much less make one.

This is a ridiculoussly sexist rule, and it really annoys me.

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
I think it's important that we show bias to students with disadvantaged backgrounds. Without this additional push, they will remain in a lower education bracket and this will perpetuate the poverty cycle we commonly observe amongst minority groups.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
It's a bit dramatic to say it's a prejudice.. I mean it's fact that guys are naturally stronger than girls, and in a game being played just for fun in PE class it might balance out the game a bit more. Of course you wouldn't get that kind of rule in a real competition, but in a casual school-game setting it shouldn't really be seen as an issue of 'sexism'. It's just a rule to level the playing field for the sake of a fun game.

antimatter

Smash Lord
white kids should get one extra point. it's not like they get to score much anyway.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Lombardi, I love you, but you're being too smart for your age. The point of the rule is exactly what you think it is, it's to give the girls an advantage... but that's not a bad thing. The truth is, its just gym class. Your teacher isn't trying to offend anyone by being "sexist," they're just trying to make sure that both girls and guys have fun in a physical activity. Its not because guys are "better" than girls, but that guys are typically more physical, meaning rougher when it comes to sports. Thus, giving the girls a little help may even the scores out a little.

The point is, even though this sort of thing would be a disaster in the Professional Handball League, its completely acceptable in your phys. ed. class. =) Just brush it off and try to enjoy yourself.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It's a bit dramatic to say it's a prejudice.. I mean it's fact that guys are naturally stronger than girls, and in a game being played just for fun in PE class it might balance out the game a bit more. Of course you wouldn't get that kind of rule in a real competition, but in a casual school-game setting it shouldn't really be seen as an issue of 'sexism'. It's just a rule to level the playing field for the sake of a fun game.
Actually thats incorrect. It was proven that girls have more natural athletic ability, while in fact its males that average 5 more IQ points per person than girls.

However, its usually males who pursue athletics and females who pursue academics.

So, OP, if you don't like it, complain to your school's prinicipal or somebody who can change things. Not a colony of smash brothers nerds.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
*Sigh* I guess you're right tom, but it still sucks that I literally can't score a goal like this. And why are some people talking about race? That's not what this is about, lol.

I may have been a little extreem, but I still don't think that this rule is right.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
If your gym teacher is approachable, try suggesting splitting the class up boys and girls. Or if your phys ed course is anything like mine, (which I doubt it is because you probably would've done this by now) switch activities.

Or you could play it their way and suggest that only boys should be goalies.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
You could also think about it this way, now you finally have a challenge. Winning everything without any competition ain't fun either.

Also, the greater the challenge, the faster you will improve your skills.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
My college professor only offered extra credit to "ladies" on several occasions.

He is an a55.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
The black kids should be required to wear ankle weights.
Hahahaha.

That rule is kind of ridiculous, but I can see it having more to do with the fact that boys would probably be more likely to be ***** about throwing the ball in. I say if one group has to bounce it, then everyone should.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
To put this in perspective, Mr. Lombardi you say that there should be a rule against not pegging it. But if you're anything like me, which suffice to say lightly, and you're extremely competitive then if you're down a couple points even in Gym class, you're going to start throwing the ball faster. Thats technically what they're avoiding because GENERALLY guys are a lot more competitive then girls in a Gym Class.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I know this is a little off topic but I personally can't understand how women now get paid the same amount of money in tennis as men. While a male tennis player has to take 3 sets to win a female tennis player only needs to take two, so for doing less work the women get the same amount of money, if that was in an office then it';d probably get sued.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Lombardi, I feel for you, man. Person specific rules should be eliminated entirely. There is such meaningless difference between the genders that I find the big deal people make over it hilarious. I wish I could help you.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
It's not like boys actually have a physical advantage over girls, they both have the potential to be strong.
I'm sorry but thats just wrong unless you are like a professional female weightlifter.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but thats just wrong unless you are like a professional female weightlifter.
No... he's right. There is not a significant enough genetic advantage for boys to be considered automatically stronger than girls. Yes, it is true that testosterone is the hormone that increases muscle growth, but I bet you didn't know that testosterone also exists in females. Just as estrogen exists in males. Besides, apart from genetics, your making the generalization that a girl is not willing to become physically strong. How do you know that?

Mann

Smash Ace
Boys are top tier. Didn't you know? http://youtube.com/watch?v=T0xoKiH8JJM

All laughs aside, I really don't find it that big of a deal to give boys a handicap. From elementary to high school, the guys were always more aggressive, competitive, stronger. Of course there were some girls that were the same. There was a girl in my JROTC class that could 20 pull ups, while most of the guys could barely do 5.

waffu

Smash Cadet
lol, I'd feel pretty bad if I was a girl in this gym class if I was given a handicap because I was a girl. My old gym classes had something not as bad, we'd have to pass to a girl before making a point. Most of the girls didn't want to play/didn't care anyway though.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
You think that's bad? My gym teacher saw a girl wearing tight shorts a few weeks ago and he said "You keep wearing that for gym and you'll be getting an A for the quarter."

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
A sweeping gesture that attempts to fiat equality by eliminating skill gaps? Is your gym teacher Masahiro Sakurai? Are you playing handbrawl?

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Aw, hell, you've gone and made me bust out the biology.

Actually thats incorrect. It was proven that girls have more natural athletic ability, while in fact its males that average 5 more IQ points per person than girls.

However, its usually males who pursue athletics and females who pursue academics.
No... he's right. There is not a significant enough genetic advantage for boys to be considered automatically stronger than girls. Yes, it is true that testosterone is the hormone that increases muscle growth, but I bet you didn't know that testosterone also exists in females. Just as estrogen exists in males. Besides, apart from genetics, your making the generalization that a girl is not willing to become physically strong. How do you know that?
No, no, and no. It was not proven that "girls have more athletic ability" (in fact, they don't), and it was not proven that boys have a higher IQ (in fact, IQ is a terrible metric to use for measuring intelligence). In fact, neither of these claims has any basis whatsoever, and males have more athletic ability than females. And genetically, males are stronger and more athletic than females (on average, obviously; a very statistically significant average).

Males also have larger muscle fibers and more numerous muscle fibers than females.

Men are, on average, 10% larger than women. This is in large part due to the delayed pubertal growth spurt in males vs females and the effects of growth hormone on the body.

While men's brains are 8-10% larger than women's on average, women's brains are believed to have more folding to compensate; additionally, the size of the female corpus callosum of the brain is larger than that of men. This is not enough information to deduce anything about "IQ" or "intelligence".

Testosterone is one of the anabolic hormones responsible for growth and muscle development, but by no means the only one. Other hormones involved are cortisol, growth hormone, insulin, and thyroid hormone.

Yes, there is testosterone in females, but not a lot; it's not responsible for as much in their body as in males, or the same things. Males have anywhere from 10 to 50 times more testosterone than females (depending on the pair in question). Hormone levels vary quite a bit between sexes.

Males are also, genetically (due to differential effects and levels of hormones) more aggressive and likely to pursue things like sports than females (although in recent years, a lot of males have geared this "aggressiveness" toward video games as opposed to sports).

Please don't think that knowing a couple facts (or myths) about the human body makes you an expert on endocrinology and genetics. It does not. And I'm no expert in these areas either, but I do know enough to say conclusively that there are certain undeniable differences between men and women.

http://www.bio.unipd.it/bam/PDF/9-5/99394Rechfeldt.pdf
https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/dspace/bitstream/1808/124/3/annurev.an.14.100185.pdf
http://www.upmc.com/HealthManagement/ManagingYourHealth/PersonalHealth/Women/?chunkiid=92578
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003707.htm

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
The worst thing that happened to me in gym was having to wear those stupid tiny short shorts and do jumping jacks. My balls were visibly flopping everywhere and what's worse is that they flopped up and slapped me in the face with every jump.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
The worst thing that happened to me in gym was having to wear those stupid tiny short shorts and do jumping jacks. My balls were visibly flopping everywhere and what's worse is that they flopped up and slapped me in the face with every jump.
Dude, TMI.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Aw, hell, you've gone and made me bust out the biology.

No, no, and no. It was not proven that "girls have more athletic ability" (in fact, they don't), and it was not proven that boys have a higher IQ (in fact, IQ is a terrible metric to use for measuring intelligence). In fact, neither of these claims has any basis whatsoever, and males have more athletic ability than females. And genetically, males are stronger and more athletic than females (on average, obviously; a very statistically significant average).

Males also have larger muscle fibers and more numerous muscle fibers than females.

Men are, on average, 10% larger than women. This is in large part due to the delayed pubertal growth spurt in males vs females and the effects of growth hormone on the body.

While men's brains are 8-10% larger than women's on average, women's brains are believed to have more folding to compensate; additionally, the size of the female corpus callosum of the brain is larger than that of men. This is not enough information to deduce anything about "IQ" or "intelligence".

Testosterone is one of the anabolic hormones responsible for growth and muscle development, but by no means the only one. Other hormones involved are cortisol, growth hormone, insulin, and thyroid hormone.

Yes, there is testosterone in females, but not a lot; it's not responsible for as much in their body as in males, or the same things. Males have anywhere from 10 to 50 times more testosterone than females (depending on the pair in question). Hormone levels vary quite a bit between sexes.

Males are also, genetically (due to differential effects and levels of hormones) more aggressive and likely to pursue things like sports than females (although in recent years, a lot of males have geared this "aggressiveness" toward video games as opposed to sports).

Please don't think that knowing a couple facts (or myths) about the human body makes you an expert on endocrinology and genetics. It does not. And I'm no expert in these areas either, but I do know enough to say conclusively that there are certain undeniable differences between men and women.

http://www.bio.unipd.it/bam/PDF/9-5/99394Rechfeldt.pdf
https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/dspace/bitstream/1808/124/3/annurev.an.14.100185.pdf
http://www.upmc.com/HealthManagement/ManagingYourHealth/PersonalHealth/Women/?chunkiid=92578
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003707.htm
QFT. thank goodness someone knows a little something about genetics. Im tired of idiots spouting pretentious prattle due to some recent myth they just read on wiki. Another thing, black kids should wear ankle bracelets? please. during elementary school I, (someone of African descent) along with an asian guy and a european were all equal in speed. I run a 10. 3 3 years ago, and if it wasnt for med school, id probably be pursuing the olympics. point is being black doesnt make you automaticaly faster than any1 so just shut your face.

Finally all this has alot to do with socialization, women are socialized to be petite, submissive, dependent, etc. and then people see that, and it reinforces the stereotype. Its dumb because fact is we are alot more similar than people think. Socialization just has a grip on all of us, from nerds to jocks, from men to women, from blacks to whites to any race, we have been told we are different. We have been manipulated to fight amongst ourselves because idiotic elitist declared to all of us that we are different. We need to realize that we have to look at the person themselves because thats where the real difference lies. ethnicity and gender, just hyperboles made to divide.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
lol, I'd feel pretty bad if I was a girl in this gym class if I was given a handicap because I was a girl. My old gym classes had something not as bad, we'd have to pass to a girl before making a point. Most of the girls didn't want to play/didn't care anyway though.
Haha, I actually remember having that rule in my Middle School gym class.

Those must of been some loose tight short shorts.

And Lombardi, it's be even worse if you couldn't peg the ball, it'd be a lot less competitive and fun (at least to me).

Junpappy

Smash Lord
A sweeping gesture that attempts to fiat equality by eliminating skill gaps? Is your gym teacher Masahiro Sakurai? Are you playing handbrawl?
If his teacher was Masahiro Sakurai, the floor would be wet and soapy so everyone trips more.

B1ah

Smash Rookie
Its always like with girls, guys are stronger than girls, and even though women can be strong as well, they never can be as strong as men that trained as hard as them, which is why they have their own weight lifting and sport class and aren't competing against other males.

Also sometimes we played doge ball with girls(no its not guy against girls) where every team was mixed, you could hit the girls hard or first since they are easy target, but that would usually just mean you'd be the target of our next throws, always funny hitting the kids that hit a girl hard and see them whine because they jumped, got hit in the legs, and twisted their ankles.

And I think your taking it too seriously, I mean if you're the weakest kid by comparison to the other students, wouldn't you take it easy on him? I would, its not like it even matters its just for fun.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
GoldShadow- Excuse me, but I happen to trust National Geographic.

OP- Everything aside, if you just want to look at the core of it and not all the tendencies between guys and girls, yes the rule is prejudice against males. I've gotten rules like that changed before (I will never again be in a gym class where the guys are forced to run laps if they sit, while the girls can sit as much as they want) and gotten a coach in trouble for imposing them.

So if you want to change things, just complain to somebody above the gym teacher.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Read it in one of there magazines about two years ago. I don't feel like digging through back issues. And before you say, yes I know it makes me sound like I just made the thing up in the first place (which I didn't).

However, you might be right. I may be remembering wrong.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Well, I did some sleuthing and found one MedScape article that found, on average, autistic boys have an IQ 5 points higher than autistic girls.

There was also a study a couple years ago published by two British psychologists saying that men are more intelligent than women. Of course, one of the authors of that study wrote a book supporting eugenics to create a world with a higher IQ, and another paper where he compared different races by IQ (while not accounting for disadvantages due to their backgrounds), and the other researcher has also encountered a lot of controversy for his work being construed as racist, so take their research with a grain of salt.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/431135_4
http://www.rlynn.co.uk/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4183166.stm

I couldn't find anything saying that girls are more naturally athletic than boys.

Rushbaby

Smash Cadet
Okay, lets not be stupid, boys are more athletic than girls are as a whole. If you see a guy dunk it's no big deal, if a girl can dunk it's a front page story. I don't want to sound sexist but that rule is like saying Shaq can't play hoops because he's to big, or MJ can't play because he's to quick. the basis is stupid and causes more harm than good because it makes one group angry and gives another group false hope. Now let me say that I know girls who can outrun most guys and one girl who can squat 350 but they aren't told that they have to wear hiking boots or use one arm when lifting weights ( it makes the other GUYS feel bad, aaawwwwww) the point is that it's unfair to discriminate based on things that aren't someones fault.

Top Bottom