• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sega Smash Bros.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Okay, so I was trying to find exactly where to post this idea, and I couldn't really find a spot saying "creative ideas for a different game" so I just decided to put it here and take my chances. Nobody will care anyway, I'm guessing, but I'll try anyway.

I have always been a huge fan of both Sega and Nintendo (down with Sony!!) and was really depressed when the Dreamcast fell from grace. At that point I was posting on the Sega.com message boards, and I had started a topic called "Sega Smash Bros." in which I used the N64 roster and filled in the pictures with crappy paint effects with an all new, mainly Sonic Team created, Sega roster. Since it was a Sega board, people loved the idea.

Now, with Brawl coming soon, I wanted to try this idea again (the thought came to me as I was playing Sonic Adventure for the 6 millionth time). I looked through my Sega history, ran through my old Genesis and Dreamcast games, plus tried to remember the 4 month period in which I owned a Saturn, and then looked at the new franchises on non-Sega consoles, all to find a 35 character roster that would be fitting for the videogame giant that is Sega. So, I give you:

My Sega Smash Bros. 35-man Roster!

Yes, I know the quality is terrible; I don't have Photoshop. So, I compiled a list so you can see exactly who they are, from what game they're from, etc. I tried to group them the way that Sakurai groups the Nintendo characters- I put the series together and tried to separate the Sonic Team creations (left) and move on towards the newer characters (right) minus Vectorman, he's sort of a 'wtf character'. Oh, and Chaotix switches among 3 characters, Espio, Vector and Charmy, like PKMN Trainer, and Toe Jam & Earl are a duo, like the Ice Climbers. Hopefully it'll spark some debate, but I get the strange feeling no one on here will give a **** lol Oh well, long live Sega!

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Amy
Metal Sonic
Chaotix

Phantasy Star & PSO
Ethan Waber
Alis Landale
Rhys

Virtua Fighter
Akira Yuki
Shun Di
Pai Chan

Panzer Dragoon
Keil Fluge
Edge

Jet Set Radio
Beat
Gum

Golden Axe
Ax Battler
Death Adder

Shenmue
Ryo Hazuki
Lan Di

Virtual On
MBV-04-G "Temjin"
SAV-07-D "Belgdor"

Wonder Boy
Leo
Purapril

Nights
Nights

Billy Hatcher
Billy Hatcher

Ristar
Ristar

Burning Rangers
Shou Amabane

Alex Kidd
Alex Kidd

ToeJam & Earl
ToeJam & Earl

Super Monkey Ball
AiAi

Shinobi
Joe Musashi

Vectorman
Vectorman

Shining Force
Max

Noxin

Smash Cadet
these characters are not popular enough to make a game out of it
theres a good chance nobody would buy it

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
these characters are not popular enough to make a game out of it
theres a good chance nobody would buy it
Agreed... I mean, the best Sega could come up with was a Mario Tennis knock off with like 10-12 characters... :p

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I wouldn't trust them with a game like that considering I think the only thing they had to do with Brawl was the Sonic music and they screwed even that up.

S2

Smash Lord
Not a bad idea.

Sega did something like this before actually during the Saturn days called Fighting Vipers. Of course, since Virtua Fighter is their big mark on the fighting genre, it played like a spinoff of that.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Like I said, just an idea, and it would be a good game for Sega diehards (i.e. me) but I'm not saying the game is a possibility; it'll never happen. I just like the idea. But, would you say Pit and the Ice Climbers and Game & Watch were popular enough for a game?

And if this is the wrong section, sorry, I couldn't really find a section that fit it. I figured "General Brawl Discussion" fit it best. This is pretty general.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
if it was in the dreamcast heyday, then **** yes they'd be popular enough. At least the PS vets, Monkey Ball, Sonic, VF and Shinobi vets would make somewhat of an impact. Otherwise, since then Sega hasn't really emphasized them.

VF is HUGE in Japan though.

Hyenator

Smash Cadet
Needs more Streets of Rage characters (Axel, Blaze and Mr. X/Shiva), E-Swat and Sketch Turner from Comix Zone

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Needs more Streets of Rage characters (Axel, Blaze and Mr. X/Shiva), E-Swat and Sketch Turner from Comix Zone
I was thinking of Streets of Rage but decided to go with Virtua Fighter instead; I didn't want too many martial artists. And Sketch Turner was also one I was thinking, but I figured he'd be a better assist trophy-esque character. A couple others were like that for me, like Ecco the Dolphin, Seaman, Samba de Amigo and ChuChu Rocket! If this was even popular enough for a discussion, I'd love to come up with ideas for possible items, ATs and levels lol

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
I suspect this will be moved or closed shortly, but I'll throw my two cents in anyway.

I think Sega tried this already once already with Fighters Megamix for the Sega Saturn. It's been quite a few years since that game, and as I recall it only used the most obscure Sonic characters in it for some reason.

I could see how Sega might want to try it again, but the only series I think that they really have going for it right now is the Virtua Fighter series. Sonic is alive solely by nostalgia. So, they're probably better off sticking Sonic in a Virtua Fighter game.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Needs Robotink/Eggman and Reala from NiGHTS :p .

But the big problem I see is that Sega just doesn't have enough big franchises for it. Sonic has plenty of viable characters that are popular among his fans, but after that you get into a bunch of series that are by and large either minor, generally unpopular, or mostly forgotten. They might be able to make a smaller roster, somewhere between Smash 64 and Melee size, but it'd likely be between 1/4 and 1/2 made up of Sonic characters. Might be good, but certainly it wouldn't get anywhere near as popular as Smash Bros.

Zevox

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Ryo Hazuki!? Get in!

"Hey. Have you seen any Smashers in Black Suits?"

"SEGA Smash Bros? I see."

Taunt 1: "I'm looking for some sailors."

Hyenator

Smash Cadet
I was thinking of Streets of Rage but decided to go with Virtua Fighter instead; I didn't want too many martial artists. And Sketch Turner was also one I was thinking, but I figured he'd be a better assist trophy-esque character. A couple others were like that for me, like Ecco the Dolphin, Seaman, Samba de Amigo and ChuChu Rocket! If this was even popular enough for a discussion, I'd love to come up with ideas for possible items, ATs and levels lol
Axel & Blaze can represent Street Brawling, and Mr.X can have a weapon (Tommy Gun) and summon (Syndicate members) based moveset. In my opinion, Mr.X is the best Sega villain ever created.

Sketch Turner suits more the role of a playable character than half of the list.

And Segata Sanshiro can be the "ROB" of the game :chuckle:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Before this gets closed or whatever, yesterday, out of boredom, I compiled a list of Seag characters for a thought I had when I heard about Sega Superstar Tennis: "What if Seag made a fighting game like Smash Bros.? What kind of roster could they make?" I came up with this...

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Dr. Eggman
Amy Rose
Shadow

Virtua Fighter
Akira Yuki
Kid Akira
Jackie Bryant
Dural

Phantasy Star
Ethan (PSU)
Alis (PS)
Rolf (PS2)
Dak Force

Super Monkey Ball
Aiai

Samba de Amigo
Amigo

Space Channel 5
Ulala

NiGHTS
Nights
Reala

Streets of Rage
Axel Stone

Jet Set Radio
Beat

Shinobi
Joe Musashi

Ristar
Ristar

Vectorman
Vectorman

Alex Kidd
Alex Kidd

Billy Hatcher
Billy

Shining...
Max (Shining Force)
Xion (Shining Tears)

House of the Dead
Thomas Rogan

Virtua Cop
Michael Hardy

Virtual-On
Temjin

Golden Axe
Ax Battler

Panzer Dragoon
Orta

ToeJam & Earl
ToeJam & Earl

Altered Beast
Altered Warrior (Wolf, Dragon, Bear, & Tiger)

Just to let you know you aren't the only one out their with a lot of freetime on your hands. Not all of us can import the Japanese copy of Brawl to curb the time for its American release.

I have thought about actually making this game, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the idea.
I would buy this game, hype this game, and endorse this game as much as I possibly could! The problem is picking characters who are well known enough for the public to buy it with maybe 3-4 retro characters. It's a tough market out there now.

evilwart

Smash Rookie
It should be a versus game. Super Smash Bros. vs. Sega Smash Superstars. Nintendo's greatest characters and Sega's greatest characters, in an all out brawl.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
First off, these rosters lack reps from Last Bronx, Fighting Vipers, Space Channel 5 and Rent-a-Hero. So... go directly to FAIL, do not pass go do not collect an internet.

Secondly, it was already mentioned, but yeah. Sega did a take on this in the late 90's on the Saturn with Fighters Megamix. It used the Fighting Vipers engine, which itself was the VF2 engine sped up and with juggle physics and armor physics for some characters.

Also correct was the fact that Fighters Megamix had only two sonic reps, the extremely obscure Bean the Duck and Bark the Bear... the reason being is that around the same time, Sega had an all Sonic fighting game going by the oh-so-original title of "Sonic: The Fighters" in Japanese arcades... and it was pending a Saturn release around the same time as Fighters Megamix. In order to dissuade the two game cannibalizing each other, Sega discluded the Sonic roster from FM, save for the two mentioned above, who served as a preview for Sonic: TF (Bean and Bark were characters newly created for the Sonic fighter.)

So... yeah. Your idea has been done. Would it be neat to see a Fighter's Megamix 2 with some of these sorely missed franchise characters on it? Yes. The main shortcoming of the original fighter's megamix was that the entire character roster were characters from the Saturn Generation. No golden oldies save for Rent-a-Hero.

Would it happen, though? You have a better chance of nailing Jessica Alba, kiddo.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
First off, these rosters lack reps from Last Bronx, Fighting Vipers, Space Channel 5 and Rent-a-Hero. So... go directly to FAIL, do not pass go do not collect an internet.

Secondly, it was already mentioned, but yeah. Sega did a take on this in the late 90's on the Saturn with Fighters Megamix. It used the Fighting Vipers engine, which itself was the VF2 engine sped up and with juggle physics and armor physics for some characters.

Also correct was the fact that Fighters Megamix had only two sonic reps, the extremely obscure Bean the Duck and Bark the Bear... the reason being is that around the same time, Sega had an all Sonic fighting game going by the oh-so-original title of "Sonic: The Fighters" in Japanese arcades... and it was pending a Saturn release around the same time as Fighters Megamix. In order to dissuade the two game cannibalizing each other, Sega discluded the Sonic roster from FM, save for the two mentioned above, who served as a preview for Sonic: TF (Bean and Bark were characters newly created for the Sonic fighter.)

So... yeah. Your idea has been done. Would it be neat to see a Fighter's Megamix 2 with some of these sorely missed franchise characters on it? Yes. The main shortcoming of the original fighter's megamix was that the entire character roster were characters from the Saturn Generation. No golden oldies save for Rent-a-Hero.

Would it happen, though? You have a better chance of nailing Jessica Alba, kiddo.
Why are you acting like a douche? This is a pipe dream topic. A 'what if" kind of thing, and you come in a tell all how these ideas are never going to happen and that they've been done before...we know that. We don't care.

And the topic creator was saying how it would be fun to make a SSB Sega game, not a Fighters Megamix-styled game. So comparing a wouldbe Smash Bros.-styled fighter to Fighters Megamix is like comparing Power Stone with Fusion Frenzy.

volbound1700

Smash Master
How about in the next Smash Brothers, Nintendo lets SEGA make a chunk of characters and Nintendo makes their usual allotment so we get a ton of new SEGA characters as well as the usually roster so for example with Brawl we get the 34 Sakurai wanted but while Sakurai was making those, SEGA made Sonic plus a large allotment of other characters to put into the game as well. Then Nintendo and SEGA both slap their name on title and walah.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
If they can make and X-men crossover with Street fighter work, they can make a Sega Crossover with Nintendo work.

...Or perhaps, could have made work. You'd probably get a lot of reviewers saying that Sega's not as important as it used to be, and talk a lot about how much better this game could have been ten years ago.

I'd buy it, personally, if it were developed by Sakurai. And I think it could be pretty lucrative, if the majority doesn't decide that it's too cheesy.

BTW, it'd be as broken as MvCapcom. Because Sonic is way past god tier. :chuckle:

Hyenator

Smash Cadet
Daytona Car for God Tier!

Eternal Champions have a few cool characters. Maybe Larcen and Shadow can be in the game.

OutRun and After Burner can be stages.

darkhamsterlord

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't be TOO suprised if that happened, considering how Sega's been ripping off alot of Nintendo's games. (Not saying this in hate or anything, I love Sega. I'm just telling it like it is)

If it happens, I'd buy it.

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
It need's more shining force characters. Probably 4-5, add Bowie, Peter, Domingo, and like Earnest.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
*SIGH* Doesn't anyone realize Fighters Megamix was mainly just Fighting Vipers + Virtua FIghter. You had a few unlockables but they skipped out on half the universe.

Azuran

Smash Rookie
List needs some Skies of Arcadia characters. Vyse, Aika, Fina and Ramirez come to mind.

Toastmeister

Smash Apprentice
There's an approachably similar game in the works actually! While it differs from the Fighting realm and guns straight for Sports, it still features a wide variety of Sega classics.

While a quick Google-brand bit of fact checking would yield some true accuracy, my laziness gene spurs me on to simply go with memory, so I will go ahead and state that the proxy title is "Sega Superstars Tennis".

There's a fairly lengthy trailer already made that proves to example some really cool action sequences, all of which supremely ignore the general consensus of a real tennis match.

Also, Sonic sees a few upgrades in the character model department... The Blue Blur looks even more badass than he does in Brawl.

Score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom