• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries for Olimar

dahighii

Smash Apprentice
I feel like this was discussed somewhere before, but even after searching thread titles for the past 3 months for something related I couldn't find it. (Why can't swf have functioning search!?!?!) Anyways, although I'm still cultivating my Olimar skills, I've gotten quite comfortable with him and the Olimar mentality, and as such I figure it's about time I start becoming serious about a second character, mostly to cover up the faults in some of Oli's matchups.

This said, I'm not particularly certain of where to begin, so I ask you, the Oli community:
Who's your secondary?
Why?
Who's the BEST secondary to pick?
Who's the easiest secondary to pick up, if there is one?

Humbly awaiting any replies (or a link to some)

*twiddles thumbs*

Geddan

Smash Ace
Yeah, there has been a thread exactly like this before, but I'll give you my input before this thread gets locked (or until someone wants to find and link the old thread).

The best character and easiest character to secondary is metaknight, hands down. He covers all olis bad matchups and he's also not very difficult to pick up. The ditto is very atrocious though.. :p

another good secondary is marth. Olimar and marth cover each others bad MUs except for mk lol. He's also not the most difficult character to pick up, he'll force you to improve your spacing that's for sure.

As for who I second, I second mk, d3, sonic, and jiggs for LT.
Idk, just mess around with other top tier characters.
Diddy and snake are also pretty good options.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero

Who's your secondary?
Snake and Diddy.

Snake because he was my original main way back when Brawl first came out. I have a lot of knowledge about his character and Diddy because he feels the most like Melee besides MK to me.

Who's the BEST secondary to pick?
MKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Who's the easiest secondary to pick up
I would say Dedede and MK, DDD's playstyle is not hard to understand really. MK isn't that hard to play as either.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
oops

if you all would like, this can serve as the main thread for this topic <_< again lol

We've had two or three threads with the topic but with Llumys leaving and the others not really being pushed, I can't really direct users to another thread. I just wish there was a format for the thread to opperate in where we'd actually discuss them instead of the regular "I use ___ :D" constantly being spammed without reasons given or characters being compared to others to see who works as a better secondary. But oh well. Not man Olimars use secondaries that often anyways it seems lol

dahighii, the thread title was lost during my mistake, haha. If you'd like to change it back, go ahead <_<

As for the questions X:

Who's your secondary? I use DDD :D
Why? that ****in grab... and he hard counters Luigi, beats Marth, and does really well against Peach. Same can be said for Wario and Wolf, who I also have problems with.
Who's the BEST secondary to pick? Aside from MK/Snake, I think Marth, DDD, Falco, or Wario would be the best to pick up. Marth and DDD have the problem of not giving you an answer against MK, and Wario does worse than Olimar does against Peach. Falco is a really solid secondary, however, but he doesn't do well enough against the characters to where he wouldn't have to be as good as your Olimar for you to solidly use him as your secondary.
Who's the easiest secondary to pick up, if there is one? Probably DDD. I mean you already know how to grab <_<

Noa.

Smash Master
I think we shouldn't discuss secondaries. The topic of secondaries is simple and straightforward. There's a small list of suitable characters that can work for secondaries. Just list them in the OP of the FAQ section of Zori's thread.

Secondary threads are ugh.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Im telling u guys picking up another character and making it your secondary or 2nd main lets u see the game in a whole new way. It just does. U look at your new options, just helps you play better overall.

dahighii

Smash Apprentice
dahighii, the thread title was lost during my mistake, haha. If you'd like to change it back, go ahead <_<
However it got to what it is now is fine =)

Draconoa44 said:
I think we shouldn't discuss secondaries. The topic of secondaries is simple and straightforward. There's a small list of suitable characters that can work for secondaries. Just list them in the OP of the FAQ section of Zori's thread.

This could work, I just didn't have much of a resource to pull on. I don't know who would do that, but I am glad all of you put in a couple cents =) From what I've heard so far I'll probably take D3 out for a test drive; I already know he's pretty good, apparently he covers some of Oli's weakness, and I'd love being able to keep my huge pivot grab ^v^ Plus I figure MKs gonna be a problem no matter what, might as well try to cover everyone else

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Exactly the mindset I had. I'd say DDD is Olimar's best secondary if you don't mind dealing with the mk matchup with Olimar.

dahighii

Smash Apprentice
Yea, I feel like Oli brings a bit to the MK matchup, I still need to get better at it but I know it can be done at least. Besides, he's got seniority over D3 - he's gets first choice =)

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
Secondaries are very important, Noa. Not only for teams. All the great oldschool placing olimars had secondaries for either brinstar, RC, delfino etc. AndyG had MK. Atomsk had DDD (and look at him now), I use MK on rainbow cruise if my opponent isn't MK or is a worse MK than me.

If I'm playin seibrik I'm going to ban RC because he's going to take me there, and I won't beat him in MK ditto's. But I'll take every snake \ ddd \ diddy there.

I'm also picking up DDD for snake. To beat snake you need a completely different mindset than when playing against MK. I always seem to get too adjusted to one or the other and end up sucking at the other one in tournament. I want to play DDD only against snake so I don't have to impair my Olimar with snake training. I'm going to be training it with HRNut so hopefully he can give me mad tips. I already have practiced
DDD a bunch so it won't be hard.

In teams having a second character can make or break important dubs matches. For example, reflex and kismet tear up me and raz's team when I go Olimar and he goes MK like normal. When I'm MK and Raz is pika, we usually 4 stock them.

To effectively win matches with Olimar on a team, you need a very smart partner. If you are forced to team with someone who you don't regularly team with, then play MK. People won't watch your **** 24\7 unless they know just how useful it is for MK to support Olimar all game.

Noa.

Smash Master

Fearless, in the post above I meant that I think secondary threads are annoying. Not the secondaries themselves lol.

Top Bottom