• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

Stevo

Smash Champion
that's great and all, but I was just told the next release is a long time away lol.

In case it wasn't clear in some of my previous posts, I really do enjoy this mod. I'd like to thank those who worked on it. (I don't actually know who you all are)

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Hey can someone link me to the main.dol melee file with all the characters and stages? Apparently the one that VietGeek linked me to has been deleted.

I also tried to play normal Melee with the complete main.dol file that VietGeek linked me to on Dios Mios, but it keeps playing SD Remix. How do I fix this? Is it the problem with .dol file?

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Oh. So if I wanted to play (normal) Melee on Dios Mios after using SD Remix, how would I do that?

I tried using an unaltered .iso file of ssbm with no changes to the files or the main.dol, and it still plays some parts of SD Remix. Pokemon Stadium doesn't change, Mario's fair is super fast, Kirby's aerials are 2x strong, etc.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Oh. So if I wanted to play (normal) Melee on Dios Mios after using SD Remix, how would I do that?

I tried using an unaltered .iso file of ssbm with no changes to the files or the main.dol, and it still plays some parts of SD Remix. Pokemon Stadium doesn't change, Mario's fair is super fast, Kirby's aerials are 2x strong, etc.
Then it's not unaltered. Those SDR changes are in main.dol, and apparently an old version at that. Magus had a link to all the version variants of main.dol somewhere, but I can't seem to find the unmodified versions...

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Then it's not unaltered. Those SDR changes are in main.dol, and apparently an old version at that. Magus had a link to all the version variants of main.dol somewhere, but I can't seem to find the unmodified versions...
That's really weird... I guess all the .iso files I have of Melee are SD Remix then. Welp, I guess I'm back to square one.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Could you? That would be wonderful.

EDIT: So I got a completely new .iso, and everything's fine. For some reason though, the loading times are longer. Not sure why.
So this won't be needed at all, huh?

Also, loading times are perceived to be longer because you have been playing an instant loading game. Unless you're using NMM (NoMoreMemory), times are slightly faster than in the cube.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I've finally polished up the guides to reflect an exciting development for SD Remix...

we finally have an "easy installer." Those who have had trouble installing SD Remix in the past may want to look at this patcher. It can be used for both USB/SD preparation, as well as DVD/Dolphin iso rebuilding.

EDIT: In case of future absence, Ripple may have full control of this thread should ownership need be changed. That is all.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I've finally polished up the guides to reflect an exciting development for SD Remix...

we finally have an "easy installer." Those who have had trouble installing SD Remix in the past may want to look at this patcher. It can be used for both USB/SD preparation, as well as DVD/Dolphin iso rebuilding.

EDIT: In case of future absence, Ripple may have full control of this thread should ownership need be changed. That is all.
I'm using mac right now, so what does the .exe program do?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
It just makes it easier to install SD Remix for the first time. Since you've already done it before, you don't really benefit from it I'm afraid.

MVP

Smash Ace
It just makes it easier to install SD Remix for the first time. Since you've already done it before, you don't really benefit from it I'm afraid.
exactly how does it make it easier? cause i'm super exicted about this cause the old SD remix didn't work with my wiis

VietGeek

Smash Hero
exactly how does it make it easier? cause i'm super exicted about this cause the old SD remix didn't work with my wiis
A lot of people had trouble creating the extracted ISO for use for SD Remix (since it involved Command Prompt). The new installer does all that for you, but you still have to manually set up your Wii. Check out the USB/SD guide on the front page - explains it all.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer

It's good to know just in case I need to do it again (or for a friend). So basically what this does is extract the iso and replace the melee files with the SD ones?

nmn

Smash Cadet
Give this a try.

All of the header data and the dol was getting patched, but actual files were not. It turns out there were a lot of very subtle bugs that were introduced over time in my patching engine. I've done my best to squash them all, but I actually don't know how SD remix is supposed to play, so I'm not sure if this is correct or not. I just checked to see if files were getting patched.

nmn

Smash Cadet
Just updated that package. Oh my goodness, the bugs. Some silly, some downright nasty complicated. In any case, it's amazing the GC mode ever worked at all, because the first file on-disk was straight-up getting overwritten by the FST (literally fixed by adding a single character to a single file...)

So, NOW, the GameCube mode should work. On the other hand, there's a chance that Wii mode is broken in this version, so please don't update the first post. I'll see if I can test for regressions with that now.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Wii (DML/DM Mode) patching is indeed now broken. Files are no longer padded according to Dios-Mios specifications.

nmn

Smash Cadet
It's funny. Because the problem I was having was that the files in the patcher's patch-set were already padded, and apparently that does not work right on actual game cube. I guess I'm going to need to figure out why and what DiosMios wants the padding to be.

nmn

Smash Cadet
Phew. Sorry about all of the trouble this is causing. Let's hope this is the last patcher problem. Same URL.

Comparing with GCReEx, now only two of the files differ in padding. One of them I'm completely confused as to why, and may cause bugs. The other seems to be just an irrelevant inconsistency between the Wii patch files and the GC patch files. Still, this is much closer than even when it worked before, so hopefully it will work this time. If not, then at least I have an idea of why...

After this, it shouldn't be a problem to have a Mac or Linux release of the patcher. I just updated a lot of the source code in preparation for being able to support Mac.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
As far as I could tell, the Wii patching worked perfectly. Although to make sure, which two files are anomalies?

nmn

Smash Cadet
As far as I could tell, the Wii patching worked perfectly. Although to make sure, which two files are anomalies?
main.dol mysteriously has 0x20 extra bytes added. The main.dol in the patch files is actually a multiple of 0x20, but for some reason i have not figured out, it is getting rounded up anyway.

INCOMING TECHNICAL THINGS

The algorithm for rounding up is as follows (in pseudo asm):
Code:
; intel syntax (each line is 'instruction destination, source')
; let r1 be a scratch register
; let r2 be file size (already set)
; let r3 be padded size (being set)

mov r1, 1Fh  ; set r1 to first five bits
not r1      ; flip all bits in r1; now it has all bits except the first 5 set.

mov r3, r2  ; set r3 to r2
add r3, 1Fh  ; add 1F to r3
and r3, r1  ; mask off first five bits

; r3 now equals padded size
In theory, this should behave such that a multiple of 32 will output the same number. For main.dol, it is outputting the next multiple. My debugger is not functioning properly, so I haven't been able to introspect on the problem.

ANYWAY. The other file is PlZd.dat. The version in the Wii patches zip does not have correct padding; it is padded to 16 bytes instead of 32 bytes. For that file, though, it does not seem to have any affect.

So, with that being said, I suppose a Mac release is due some time. I have to resolve some compiler issues with the Mac OS X SDK before this will be possible, so maybe not possible just yet.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
What are you guys looking for in playtesters? Also what is a ISO, just game data off disc? My Wii's warranty has expired so I'm not afraid to hack it as long as I get info.
:bluejump:

VietGeek

Smash Hero
We currently do not need more private build play testers. We simply ask that you try to play the current public build and provide us with feedback. Thanks!

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, but I don't understand. Is 2.1 just 2.0 with the patcher, or are there actual changes like Yoshi's shield jump being disabled?

Top Bottom