• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD media card thread

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
A thread for people who use the SD media card way of hacking, share your SD media card stories here. Kind of like a social thread, but not as wide in scope. Also if you have any tips or advice is welcomed.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
So it runs GameCube homebrew, right? Do you have to put the whole Melee disc image on the card, or just the files you're replacing?

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
How often does that noise actually show up?
For me 100% of the time. Only when selecting something on a menu though it does fade away after that. Occasionally you will hear it else where, but it is normally drowned out by the music, unless of course we are talking about pressing start or A on a select screen.

ss118

Smash Master
I think this is bothersome enough to the point where I think you shouldn't buy this if you want to play competitive at the same time.

Saves CDs, so in the case of the balance patch this is better. WOuldn't use this for even pools of a tourney, though.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
No, definitely do not use for tournaments due to how frequently it crashes, but it is a cheap nice method that can be used to play with your friends, or a small group.

Steelia

Smash Champion
WELL.

I've been messing around with the tool a little more, and I found out something. If there's a costume that was hexed incorrectly, the SD Media Launcher WILL lock up. I don't know why, or what sets it off. I noticed, however, that a majority of costumes hexed with libertyernie's KirbyTool program have a much higher tendency to freeze up the game. I used a Kirby hexed with it; it froze. I rehexed that Kirby by hand, I can now play as him. (Sorry, mate. >: )

Samus seems to freeze the game alot, so does Roy and Peach in general. Mostly characters with a lot of textures (save Ganondorf). I was using my NES Peach, which froze the game; I replaced her with the original costume and now things don't freeze up as often.
I'll get back to you on that, though. It could've been coincidence.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
wait...

you have to burn a copy of melee on a disc to use it?

im waiting for mine to come.

i thought you just ran the disc that comes with it and then played the game off of the sd card

?!?!?!?!

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
wait...

you have to burn a copy of melee on a disc to use it?

im waiting for mine to come.

i thought you just ran the disc that comes with it and then played the game off of the sd card

?!?!?!?!
There are 2 SD media launcher methods. One requires disk, the other does not. No, with the SD media launcher you do not need a disk. S's Guide will explain the no disk method of the SD media luncher. The one that requires the disk and a soft modified game cube is more reliable but I do not recommend it. I can PM you the link if you want I can not post it here however :(. (The guide is on a website that contains ISO's and you know how jungle is about that, he sees everything, watching, always watching... :scared:)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Is this to have hacked melee on the SD media card loader?

Does it require anything more than the SD loader and an SD card with an Melee ISO on it?

LLDL

Smash Hero
No. SD Media card loader is to load a burnt disc onto your gamecube. You load a homebrew app onto the sd card which will temporarily allow your gamecube to read backups.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
So the backup would be burned onto a one of those mini (8cm) DVD-R discs? I didn't realize the GameCube's hardware could read those. I know they're available, because some camcorders use them.

Steelia

Smash Champion
No. SD Media card loader is to load a burnt disc onto your gamecube. You load a homebrew app onto the sd card which will temporarily allow your gamecube to read backups.
Not entirely.
Burned discs aren't required; you need to put the hacked Melee on the SD Card, and you use the original disc in the GCN. Not quite sure how all of that works, but yeah. Your GCN would need to be modded with extra hardware in order to read burned mini-DVDs. Last I checked, anyway.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Wait, what? Do you have SD media card? You put hacked melee on the disc,and you use sd media to launch the disc. No modding necessary. I know this because I have it.

So you've done that before? I must be missing something. Your method sounds like something done with brawl.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
the sd media loader lets you play games or load files/iso off an sd card.

I should be able to load a melee iso and just play that.

after I create the hacked iso.

I should be able to do it on any cube with no mods.

I think lol

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
yea yea

im waiting for mine still

cant wait

i think it works on the wii too

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yea, I don't see why it wouldn't.

I got mine for free! ****!

does anybody know of a way to get a gameshark/code junkie onto an sd card or using that setup?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
na lol. I just mean getting the AR working with the SD loader instead of buying an AR.

it would be some crazy **** to do both at the same time lol.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Probably hong kong. Sometimes **** takes a lil bit. BBut infinite shield code cheat is the business to practice my tech skill. I can space on the shield so I have a fairly stationary target that doesnt flinch at least, and practice shield pressure and shine aerial timing and crazy mix ups. Im suppper excited to put in work using that ****.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
well Im pretty technical already, and Im one of those ppl who practice like hours....a day sometimes haha.

but thats the plan. I started practicing aerial placement on shields and soon I wont mess up the timing and **** like that.

but imo this way is more optimized to getting more control over my fox/falco

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know how to make your own SD card loader? I've read one guide I found online but it was a little confusing and I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff. I do have the SD media launcher and the disc, but the card was slightly damaged (still works fine right now) so I wanted to create a back up one in case it breaks at some point. Also it would be fun to learn how to do.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
Just the casing, but at first I thought the inside card reader was damaged. It is only the casing, but I thought it would be a god idea to make myself a new one as a fun project and to have a backup in case the actual card reader itself ever broke. So to answer your question, I was talking about the card that goes into the slot not the SD card itself, sorry.

Top Bottom