• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scrubs and Arguing with them

Chimerical_Carl

Smash Rookie
Wow, quick question: when and why did fox and falco get moved up to top tier and oust sheik, peach, and marth?

In any case, my main question: I have a friend who spends the majority of his time *****ing about I thwart his every attempt to get back on the level with Link's grounded Up B. He insists it's the "most broken move in the game, because it takes no time to start and can be used effectively against any approach to getting back on when hanging from the edge."
He also hates how I use it a fair bit whenever he's in a mid level damage range. My thinking is that he's a scrub, and if he isn't good enough to realize I'm being predictive as hell, he deserves it.
Any good arguements for this particular move not being broken? In order of frequency, he plays as marth, ganondorf, roy, kirby and bowser.

Thanks in advance.

Kai_

Smash Journeyman
Wow, quick question: when and why did fox and falco get moved up to top tier and oust sheik, peach, and marth?
Because they're animals.

Chimerical_Carl said:
In any case, my main question: I have a friend who spends the majority of his time *****ing about I thwart his every attempt to get back on the level with Link's grounded Up B. He insists it's the "most broken move in the game, because it takes no time to start and can be used effectively against any approach to getting back on when hanging from the edge."
He also hates how I use it a fair bit whenever he's in a mid level damage range. My thinking is that he's a scrub, and if he isn't good enough to realize I'm being predictive as hell, he deserves it.
Any good arguements for this particular move not being broken? In order of frequency, he plays as marth, ganondorf, roy, kirby and bowser.

Thanks in advance.
If he can't beat it, You > him it really is that simple. It does not matter what excuse he gives you, because his actions don't back up his words.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
OK, he plays as Kirby. Can't he just delay his recovery a bit or jump over it with his 5 jumps so he doesn't get hit by it? Or shield, wavedash back, or duck if he sees Link try to up b him? If he thinks Link's up b is cheap he'd probably crap his pants if he sees a technical Fox or even a Link that uses other moves too. I can't give advice to him that isn't vague, unless you have videos.

Chimerical_Carl

Smash Rookie
Because they're animals.
Although they were still animals 6 months ago when I last checked this forum, but fox was top with sheik and marth, while falco was down in middle tier. Actually, I think I remember fox being one below top, as peach held the top spot with sheik and marth.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
It's not broken cause if you shield it once, the rest of the move wont hit you. plus Marth should get a free shield > fsmash tip everytime you do it.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Just tell him that the move only hits once, so if he shields he can get in a free counterattack.

That's when you switch to Young Link.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Link's up B really is fairly easy to avoid. I prefer edgeguarding with bombs and boomerangs, and sometimes arrows. He should have figured out about sweetspotting the ledge by now. If not, teach him if you want him to get better and stop whining.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Tell him to stop being so uptight and try to work it out. Point out that it's never used at top tournaments because it's easily counterable. If something's not spammed by pros, there's obviously a good counter for it, and it's his job to find out what it is. With his kind of mindset, he can't get good at anything.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'd just ignore him, I do it all the time. I use B+UP with link all the time to edgeguard. It works 95% of the time and my friends always complain to me how it's cheap. They're just jealous. Or you can basically tell your friend "no johns", and that should shut him up. :/

UFO Flan

Smash Journeyman

Thanks in advance.
Definately a scrub. No sense arguing with him, just keep kicking his butt!
And your welcome in advance.

Ryuker Reo

Smash Apprentice
Your friend is what we all call a loser.
You, as a friend, should tell him to stop being a loser.
That or just ignore every stupidity that comes out of his mouth.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
haha spin attack activates slow as hell :laugh:

spin attack spike is even slower being that its at the end of the move

ive spiked mew2king's marth with it several times... who have you done it to???

believe me, i know.

Chimerical_Carl

Smash Rookie
I just moved in with this guy before starting this thread. As of 5 minutes ago he refuses to play smash with me anymore. "I'm willing to play Smash Bros, just not Spin Attack Game."
He then went on the computer and started googling terms to find people complaining that Link's Spin Attack is cheap. He came up with nothing. I hope he tries again and gets this thread.

Taras is a scrub.

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
If he's annoying by it, then leave him be at that.
Use Up + B more... and get him to learn how to counter it...
... when he starts shielding, move to Young Link (as said before. I lol'd on that.)

Chimerical_Carl

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I showed him that article before starting this thread. He read it, and about 8 other articles on that site. He said he'd read it before and that it was old. He agrees with all of it. He just says that link's up b is broken like Akuma.
He's been gone for a week, during which time I got to play a smasher with talent. He wiped the floor with me, and I hit him at most 5 times with up b in the dozens of games we played. I doubt this evidence will change my Scrub's mind though. I'll have to get that good smasher over here to demonstrate some time.

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
The Up + B, admittedly, is a bit annoying (my friend plays Link); he treats it like Peach's DSmash (I play Peach). When things get sticky. . . DSmash.
But that doesn't mean it's impossible to beat. All it takes is a simple mindgame. Charge at your opponent when they are high %, or do some other way to get the mto Up + B. At that moment when the execute the move, wavedash/roll backwards, and make your strike from above or with an effective projectile!

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Kindly invite him to play Link and spam upB all he wants. Just make sure you don't lose. Lol. That would kinda boost his fallacious hypothesis as well as his ego.

kiwiii

Smash Lord
lol@topic title

link's upb out of shield is annoying as hell, if he's even doing it out of shield.
either way, it's easily punished. especially when he's spamming that ****. -_-. aiiye.

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
The scrubs I play don't complain, but the n00bs do. There's a big difference between a scrub and a n00b. A n00b is somone who doesn't know any advanced techniques, rolls a lot, complains about ledgeguarding and using the c-stick, and thinks that Link's Up-B is just the best move ever. A scrub is someone who uses the tourney strategies, just not very well, commonly focusing solely on himself and making sure he gets his moves right than what his opponent is doing. Scrubs are above n00bs, despite the fact that they may not perform as well, because as far as improvement goes those n00bs have a looonng way to go and many habits to break. Above a n00b is "average", someone who's hit the limit, so to speak, without advanced techniques, and above a scrub is a tourney-level player. That's my terminology, anyway.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
well i would get mad if upB was lik half of the attacks you used, but i dont think your doing that.

if i can beat a link with my jiggs, he should be able to avoid ur upb. there are WAY more cheezier things in ssbm than a "broken upB", if he complains do what razor said, show him this thread lol

Anther

Smash Champion
Sync... you're making up your own definitions.
Scrubs tend to be the ones stuck in a mindset. Newbs are just new to the game, but aren't closed-minded to everything.

Top Bottom