• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scrolling Stages Are Annoying.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
I can't focus on scrolling stages.
I like open, flat stages, where you can focus on fighting, rather than moving to the next area.
Opinions?

Glenugie

Smash Rookie
I didn't like scrolling stages at first, I couldn't keep myself alive and move around at the same time, I especially didn't like it when I wanted to use charged up moves.

But lately I like them more, they add an extra challenge, and it takes more skill to be able to fight and move around a stage at the same time.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
that's true, it does provide more of a challenge.
a challenge for you is a challenge for your opponent :p

Pure of Heart

Smash Journeyman
I don't really mind scrolling stages, but they can get annoying sometimes.

Though I love playing on them when my friends and I just have random, goofy battles. Items on high,and only picking the stages nobody likes.. :D

Dan Aran

Smash Rookie
I barely ever use scrolling stages. Your more focused on staying alive rather then fighting whenever your on one.

blazingIKE33

Smash Cadet
I usually never use the scrolling stages but if I do, i am usually not very good at that particular stage :-)

i think the battle is more alive if the stage is flat and has few platforms:laugh:

Roy-G-Biv

Smash Journeyman
Really, I think scrolling stages are fun.
Too bad you can't make stages as epic as scrolling stages.

Karma*~

Smash Cadet
I think a lot of people who dislike scrolling stages just don't like to have to focus on just the fighting -- it's not Tekken, it's Smash. That being said, some scrolling stages can be just... annoying. Others (like Delfino Plaza, as the main example) aren't so bad.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
I think a lot of people who dislike scrolling stages just don't like to have to focus on just the fighting -- it's not Tekken, it's Smash. That being said, some scrolling stages can be just... annoying. Others (like Delfino Plaza, as the main example) aren't so bad.

that's true. :)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The only tourney-legal scrolling stage, in the true sense of 'scrolling,' is Rainbow Cruise. Use your personal ban on it if you dislike it.

Ørion

Smash Ace
Delfino Plaza isn't really a scrolling stage. It changes and the background scrolls, but you do not have to move in the same way as Mushroomy Kingdom or Rumble Falls.

Karma*~

Smash Cadet
Rephrasement, then: Stages like Mushroomy Kingdom aren't bad when items are off. Rumble Falls is stupid with auto-KOing spikes, and it's rather unfair to characters with poor jumps or recovery. Pokéfloats was fine as long as you weren't a total klutz in the air. Rainbow Cruise is fine for the most part, though I dislike the (dis)apparation of platforms.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
i like Delfino. It's not really the kind of scrolling stage i was talking about...it basically just changes backgrounds with an occassional platform shift.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
Yeahh. My main problem with them is that they cause the same problem that people see with items: it just takes away from the skill of the player.

.Stormchaser

Smash Cadet
I HATE scrolling stages. I die on them constantly because I concentrate too much on fighting and I forget to watch out for holes >___>

Nelo Vergil

Smash Master
Some scrolling stages, well pretty much just cruise isn't bad, it keeps things moving, yet everything works out very well in it, theres not a huge majority of obstacles, and it doesn't offer any real advantages to anyone, though Rumble Falls is the worst stage in this game, except for 75M

Karma*~

Smash Cadet
Yeahh. My main problem with them is that they cause the same problem that people see with items: it just takes away from the skill of the player.
Yeah, um, no. You never know where items will land -- that's why it's so annoying. For instance, a Golden Hammer could land right next to the worst player fighting, but then he can rack up three kills. Stages (for the most part, like Rainbow Cruise and Mushroomy Kingdom) are predictable: you know what's supposed to happen next, so there's no excuse for "it takes away from the skill".

Grimpeh

Smash Apprentice
They are fun to play every now and then. But i usually get more fun out of playing seriously on standard stages like FD and Smashville ¬_¬

Stroupes

Smash Lord
Yeah, um, no. You never know where items will land -- that's why it's so annoying. For instance, a Golden Hammer could land right next to the worst player fighting, but then he can rack up three kills. Stages (for the most part, like Rainbow Cruise and Mushroomy Kingdom) are predictable: you know what's supposed to happen next, so there's no excuse for "it takes away from the skill".
I didn't really mean "takes away from the skill," as makes you a worse player...I really meant something like, it makes you worry about staying alive due to the stage, rather than the fighting

Karma*~

Smash Cadet
Skill in Smash isn't just about how well you can beat up the enemy -- you have to be able to move around, as well. I agree that some scrolling stages, like Rumble Falls, have idiotic hazards, but that's not limited to scrolling stages! WarioWare, for example, is also just as idiotic. Mushroomy Kingdom, Rainbow Cruise, PokéFloats, etc. just don't have those kinds of hazards.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
That's true. My main concern was with stages like Rumble Falls, and the Icicle Glacier stages. I don't so much have a problem with Mushroomy Kingdom, and the like.
So I guess I could rephrase, and say that vertical stages are annoying. lol

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I really don't like scrolling stages, although I do play Mushroomy Kingdom once in awhile. It is harder to concentrate of fighting in stages like Melee's Icicle Mountain and DK's scrolling level, since the scrolling speed can go pretty fast and I get more focused on not dying due to the stage. Mushroomy Kingdom's scrolling is slow and constant, which is probably the reason I play it sometimes.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
I love Port Town. It's the only scrolling stage I tolerate, but that's because most all of it is balanced.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
The only tourney-legal scrolling stage, in the true sense of 'scrolling,' is Rainbow Cruise. Use your personal ban on it if you dislike it.
Rainbow Cruise is actually even considered optionally neutral (but no one ever puts it on) :laugh:

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
The only side scrolling stage I like is Rainbow Cruise.
Port Town is too hectic with those cars KOing some characters at low percents.
Mushroomy Kingdom isnt too bad but I just dont really like it.
Rumble Falls is just like Icicle Mountain to me and I dont really like it.

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
Scrolling stages wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact most of them are walk-offs too. That means not only do you have to worry bout your opponent and the stages own hazards, but also the sides of the screen too. Most of the current scrolling stages would be somewhat decent if they weren't walk-offs too.

That's why Rainbow Cruise is really the only tourney legal stage.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
There's nothing inherently wrong with a scrolling stage imo, but I agree with what FEJunkie said about walkoffs. That, and I think Mushroomy Kingdom (just for an example) moves a bit too fast for its own good.

I should probably have a match there soon, just to make sure I don't utterly suck at it now. <_<

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I don't really like scrolling stages, because yes, half the time it turns into a race to the top instead of a match between two people. Rumble Falls is the worst offender, but Rainbow Cruise and Mushroomy Kingdom can go down the same path. I only dislike Port Town for the distracting background and quick-KO racers on the track. The changing layout doesn't bother me at all.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The only bad scrolling stages are Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well I guess they add a little excitement to the match-ups once in a while, but "too much" of a diversion is also bad which sometimes could cost me the match, myself I prefersimple, flat stages such as Final Destination and Smashville

Iraku

Smash Cadet
I think they all have great concepts for stages, especially Mushroomy Kingdom and Melee's Big Blue, but it only bothers me when I can't easily KO people off the side of the stage or up in the air. Rumble Falls is confusing like New Pork City when it comes to the placement of some things. Why is there a button that opens a platform for people to fall into a small thing of water?

Top Bottom