• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scout's Smash 3 Rimlight Tutorial

So, how did you find this tutorial to be.

• I just don't get it. I still wanna learn.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nevermind. I'll just texture and wait for someone else to get this skill to help me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheGag96

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm trying to import Jigglypuff's Smash Wii U model, and my rimlight from following this tutorial is incredibly reflective:

Any idea why this is? Here's my .pac/.pcs files. Thanks guys. https : // dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17098288/puff . zip (I created my account to ask this, so I can't link to it directly)

EDIT: Hmm... I found and fixed this reflection issue, but it still seems as though it's not dynamically lighting the model. It's lit, but the lighting doesn't change with the camera angle.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Hi, I'm trying to import Jigglypuff's Smash Wii U model, and my rimlight from following this tutorial is incredibly reflective:

Any idea why this is? Here's my .pac/.pcs files. Thanks guys. https : // dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17098288/puff . zip (I created my account to ask this, so I can't link to it directly)

EDIT: Hmm... I found and fixed this reflection issue, but it still seems as though it's not dynamically lighting the model. It's lit, but the lighting doesn't change with the camera angle.
Recheck of your material values, especially the "true or false" settings as I mentioned in the corresponding section of the tutorial... remember, always check if each false CAN be true... if not, leave it false. If it can be true, switch it to true. Check the rest of material values, since this error is material related, not shader related.

Hello, @ Nezha the Scout Nezha the Scout ! I have a question about the Delfino fix, and I'm sorry if this has already been asked. The tutorial states that it must always be Stage1, even if the rimlit stage is Stage1. What if the rimlit stage was Stage0? Is it even possible for the rimlit stage to be Stage0?
It should not be possible, since the "rimlight stage" is always below the "base stage" (has the raster value) I believe you might had rimlight something "light or transparency" related if there is no base stage in the shader.

TheGag96

Smash Rookie
Recheck of your material values, especially the "true or false" settings as I mentioned in the corresponding section of the tutorial... remember, always check if each false CAN be true... if not, leave it false. If it can be true, switch it to true. Check the rest of material values, since this error is material related, not shader related.
Thanks, I eventually realized it was because the Edge texture wasn't encoded in CMPR... I should've noticed that -- you even warned about it in the OP! :p

I think it's coming together! I need to smooth out the blockiness in the model somehow, animate the eyes and facial expressions, and it'll be really something, I hope.

Last edited:

NintroPower

Smash Rookie
Hey, i'm trying to rimlight a model of Ness and when I open it in the game Ness is invisible and only appears during some frames of some of his attack animations how do I fix this bug?

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Hey, i'm trying to rimlight a model of Ness and when I open it in the game Ness is invisible and only appears during some frames of some of his attack animations how do I fix this bug?
This is highly unusual, you might had committed a mistake in the shaders and materials at the same time.

Please send me the model.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Went by the tutorial, but result is this:

I don't think character is supposed to look like this. I went by the book, but thats all i've got. I used 1.73 for this.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
K, so he shows up in training because of not have his stage intro animation for some reason but here is the files. http://www.mediafire.com/download/4rdxozuv67xp7mk/Ness Files.zip
Sorry about not attending this yet, life became an obstacle for a while.

Went by the tutorial, but result is this:

I don't think character is supposed to look like this. I went by the book, but thats all i've got. I used 1.73 for this.
I tried to rimlight that same model once and came into the same problem, due to how the specs are set up, it cannot be rimlit like other characters.

I have an idea tho:

Start with Ridley again, but this time don't touch the shaders, just apply the edge texture and materials. By any luck, the shaders are already prepared for the specs Ridley already has, so you can apply the additional rimlight coat. Also, this is just my nitpick, try not to rimlight its tongue, it would become plastic when combined with the specs.

(Up to this point, Brawl Box version v0.73b is the most stable and convenient for rimlighting, for me atleast)

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
K, so he shows up in training because of not have his stage intro animation for some reason but here is the files. http://www.mediafire.com/download/4rdxozuv67xp7mk/Ness Files.zip
Okay here's what I noticed:
  • All the delphino stages in your shaders have the same misscode on it:
->The previous alpha is on is on alpha selection D, it should be on A.
  • On stage_0 shader_1 you have another misscode:
->The color scale of your base stage (the one that has the raster value) was x4, this is never possible since x4 is the highest, and it should be divided by half into x2.
  • You rimlit Lucas eye yellow, it belongs on shader 3, but shader 3 doesn't contain any rimlight modifications.

• Your edge texture is incredibly bright, but thats not quite an error nessesarly, but a ton of people dislike overly bright rimlight.
I don't know if this is normal or not, but the BlackHead and BlackFace materials are empty. Try checking if thats normal.

You did an overall good job on Ness.These misscodes, a slight as they might seem, might be the cause of missing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vu0jt4e1yp4qyq/FitNess00.pac?dl=0

^I did these for you already.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I tried to rimlight that same model once and came into the same problem, due to how the specs are set up, it cannot be rimlit like other characters.

I have an idea tho:

Start with Ridley again, but this time don't touch the shaders, just apply the edge texture and materials. By any luck, the shaders are already prepared for the specs Ridley already has, so you can apply the additional rimlight coat. Also, this is just my nitpick, try not to rimlight its tongue, it would become plastic when combined with the specs.

(Up to this point, Brawl Box version v0.73b is the most stable and convenient for rimlighting, for me atleast)
I removed all specs he used before starting this.
When i just replaced diffuse2 texture with Edge texture, it did either next to nothing or he became too bright (don't remember which one, but those surely aren't acceptable results). And how can i not rimlight his tongue if its part of head model? If you mean leave it out of specs, then i can't because i don't know how to. Also, those shaders are rather glitchy when it comes to flashing and stages like Battlefield since they obviously were not made with Brawl in mind.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
I removed all specs he used before starting this.
When i just replaced diffuse2 texture with Edge texture, it did either next to nothing or he became too bright (don't remember which one, but those surely aren't acceptable results). And how can i not rimlight his tongue if its part of head model? If you mean leave it out of specs, then i can't because i don't know how to. Also, those shaders are rather glitchy when it comes to flashing and stages like Battlefield since they obviously were not made with Brawl in mind.
Send me the files, I wanna take a look. For the flashin, maybe the delphino glitch fix will work

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to make the Crystal's Wrath Crash Bandicoot look somewhat more smash 4-ish, but something went wrong, light stripes(including that one in the hand), if somebody can fix it, i'll let the .pcs here.

That .pcs
https://www.sendspace.com/file/kdrj8k

Last edited:

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
nevermind, accidentally i've skipped a part of the tutorial, here's the final result:

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Woops, the notifications of this thread was disabled again...
Kinda late here since i messed around with them since posting last reply, so, they are in different state now. Should i still send them?
If you still need a rimlit Ridley you can send him over for me to take a peek. Its okay, anytime :J

I'm finally attempting to rimlight a model myself and I'm not gonna lie, the instructions look mighty intimidating at the moment, haha...
Spookey Scary Skeletons.

This sums up the intimidation level, but its quite simple when you actually sit down and read slowly and carefully.

nevermind, accidentally i've skipped a part of the tutorial, here's the final result:

Not bad! Kudos m8

@ Nezha the Scout Nezha the Scout So I was trying to rim-light a lucina model I found, but there was one problem. The shader that I was going to do (Shader0) had no stage with "Raster Color" in it. What should I do?
The Model: https://www.dropbox.com/s/quobwe3n81o4zb9/FitMarth00.pac?dl=0 (Has the materials prepped already)

EDIT: Figured it out, the base stage in this case is the one with "texture color"... But it looks weird with the Lucina PSA on the Vault. Scrapping this one...
A rasterless shader? Thats a rarity these days.

I've made a unofficial Smash 3 Kirby! XD, 100% working, no bugs/glitches found, also works perfectly on Delfino Plaza!

Download link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/skjyrt
I've foud this tutorial very easy and useful

PSD: I accept rim lighting requests.
Something challenging? Rimlight all the hats :D

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
I had the same idea before, but i dunno where can i find Master hand and crazy hand (i really don't care about SSE bosses)

Lunoz

Smash Rookie

This light thing occurs between the eyes when you get the Smash Ball. What have I done wrong and how do I fix it?

Lunoz

Smash Rookie
There's a FS glitch fix guide on the tutorial, recheck it when you can.
Yeah, I followed that. And that happened, I'll try to redo it.

Edit; I redid it and now it works, I wonder what I did wrong the first time... bc I did exactly the same thing.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Yeah, I followed that. And that happened, I'll try to redo it.

Edit; I redid it and now it works, I wonder what I did wrong the first time... bc I did exactly the same thing.
That happened to me a ton of times, probably was a small misscode somewhere. Glad it works!

Cahalan

Smash Ace
@ Nezha the Scout Nezha the Scout you probably should get the latest version of Brawl Box, alot of the assets you mention in the tutorial got renamed/rearranged. (AKA, make an amendment to the tutorial in light of said layout changes.)

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
@ Nezha the Scout Nezha the Scout you probably should get the latest version of Brawl Box, alot of the assets you mention in the tutorial got renamed/rearranged. (AKA, make an amendment to the tutorial in light of said layout changes.)
Well, I don't think its quite necessary.

Even though it was rearranged, the names are still the same. Besides, when in doubt, one can always do the version stated on the tutorial for getting less confused.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Well, I don't think its quite necessary.

Even though it was rearranged, the names are still the same. Besides, when in doubt, one can always do the version stated on the tutorial for getting less confused.
Good point... :p

Obskore

Smash Ace
excuse me, but is vector tracing a viable trick for redoing textures? i'll be getting into Smash 3 stuff myself, but i'm super used to the Bézier pen, not the photoshop pen tool that doesn't handle the same way. vectors is what i used to make my cell-shaded Meta Knight anyways

Top Bottom