• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scout's Smash 3 Rimlight Tutorial

So, how did you find this tutorial to be.

• I just don't get it. I still wanna learn.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nevermind. I'll just texture and wait for someone else to get this skill to help me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Are his eyes part of the body as well? I recommend to reverse the rimlight effect from his eyes if possible, also could be a repetitive/common misscode glitch, give it another check and see if you can unrim the eyes... if not send me the file via PM if you need a more hands on assistance.
Fixed a typo for ya, hope its okay.
Upon returning to Dry Bowser's file I found that his eyes are indeed part of his body, unfortunately. I can't imagine that there's an easy way to fix that without somehow creating a new bone or something for his eyes. Am I right? If all else fails I would feel comfortable enough to just use my personal "Smash 3"-esch textures I made for Dry Bowser in Photoshop while using the original rim lighting. I certainly wouldn't want you to bother working on such a complex issue. Your suggestions and tutorial have been helpful already, and you otherwise sound busy as it is (work, school, a certain Super Star's excessive collection of hats...).

I blame Project M and their wonderful sorcery. They didn't make it convenient to apply rim lighting and textures to some of their content.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Upon returning to Dry Bowser's file I found that his eyes are indeed part of his body, unfortunately. I can't imagine that there's an easy way to fix that without somehow creating a new bone or something for his eyes. Am I right?
Hmm... I think I might know the solution, could you share an in-game pic of the issue? I think is as simple as a texture edit, not a model edit.

You might have a similar issue as the FS glitch.

ikestercrimsombelmont

Smash Rookie
Hey scout thanks for helping im gonna try and fix it,I have been sick all this time but now I feel better and ready for work,cool that you guys made a pdf of the tutorial,way more convenient.

Halcreix

Smash Cadet
Tried this tutorial on the new Hector armor Ike, and... well, just look

al_141121_1229.bin.out.jpg

The shinyness gets even more awesome, and all recolors work properly :)

Halcreix

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, and this one too:

al_141121_1303.bin.out.jpg

I also added some vibrancy to his textures, the result is just great IMO :)

(Sorry for the double post, but I can't upload two pics in the same post)

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Oh yeah, and this one too:

View attachment 30507

I also added some vibrancy to his textures, the result is just great IMO :)

(Sorry for the double post, but I can't upload two pics in the same post)
No prob about the double post, I do alot of those. Nice to see what the new models looks with rimlight, they look so much cleaner.

Also, that Charizard... are you planning on releasing him? Cuz I wish to have it for my build. I main armor charizard, alot.

Ah, I have some info that you might find usefull:

You don't have to worry about file size when rimlighting models, they make a .pac and .pcs a mere 0.1-0.3 bytes bigger.

Halcreix

Smash Cadet
No prob about the double post, I do alot of those. Nice to see what the new models looks with rimlight, they look so much cleaner.

Also, that Charizard... are you planning on releasing him? Cuz I wish to have it for my build. I main armor charizard, alot.

Ah, I have some info that you might find usefull:

You don't have to worry about file size when rimlighting models, they make a .pac and .pcs a mere 0.1-0.3 bytes bigger.
Thanks for the info, in fact I noticed that there isn't much difference in filesize, that's good :)

About the release, even if Brawl Vault is back, I cannot upload anything, I lost my Vault account, forgot the password, I tried to restore it but the confirmation e-mail never arrives, I tried creating another account, but it's the same... anyway, I'm always pleased to share my work if people like it and ask for it, I can make you a .rar file with the texture, upload it to my dropbox account and share the link to you. If you wanna upload it to the Vault later, I'm OK with that :)

Oh, and I tried to rimlit Fusion Samus, but it doesn't show the effect, that happened also with dry Bowser... strange 0.o

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info, in fact I noticed that there isn't much difference in filesize, that's good :)

About the release, even if Brawl Vault is back, I cannot upload anything, I lost my Vault account, forgot the password, I tried to restore it but the confirmation e-mail never arrives, I tried creating another account, but it's the same... anyway, I'm always pleased to share my work if people like it and ask for it, I can make you a .rar file with the texture, upload it to my dropbox account and share the link to you. If you wanna upload it to the Vault later, I'm OK with that :)

Oh, and I tried to rimlit Fusion Samus, but it doesn't show the effect, that happened also with dry Bowser... strange 0.o
Cheesus, what's with P:M and their magic on models? Seriously, sounds like they don't want any rim in their own models. :eek:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman

I would encourage you to just post direct links to dropbox here on Smashboards, then. A pseudo vault that won't go down! Armored Ike and charizard look nice.

Halcreix

Smash Cadet
Cheesus, what's with P:M and their magic on models? Seriously, sounds like they don't want any rim in their own models. :eek:
I dunno, but fortunately, I've found only two models that don't seem to like rim (and a few others I've found before in the Vault, like Mega Lucario, "Organization XIII" Cloaked Sonic and Dreamy Bowser), from Project M originals, I've applied rimlit to Mr. L Luigi, Shadow Queen Peach and Pajama Ness (and recolors), I want to rimlit Retro Falcon, OoT Ganondorf, Link, Zelda and Sheik, "Big Boss" Snake, Ninja Squirtle and "Ryu" Lucario.

Just give me some time to prepare a rar file and upload it to dropbox, since I don't have a PC right now it's kinda hard to me to rimlit and upload files, but I'll do it as soon as I can :)

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy

I'm a Brawl Vault staff, I can help you out with creating an account... well, not until the site is up an running again. But I can help you out.

Try Gmail, and check the spam once the site is back.

I would encourage you to just post direct links to dropbox here on Smashboards, then. A pseudo vault that won't go down! Armored Ike and charizard look nice.
Having a personal vault thread here is a great idea. Its the best way to receive feedback and everything.

I dunno, but fortunately, I've found only two models that don't seem to like rim (and a few others I've found before in the Vault, like Mega Lucario, "Organization XIII" Cloaked Sonic and Dreamy Bowser), from Project M originals, I've applied rimlit to Mr. L Luigi, Shadow Queen Peach and Pajama Ness (and recolors), I want to rimlit Retro Falcon, OoT Ganondorf, Link, Zelda and Sheik, "Big Boss" Snake, Ninja Squirtle and "Ryu" Lucario.

Just give me some time to prepare a rar file and upload it to dropbox, since I don't have a PC right now it's kinda hard to me to rimlit and upload files, but I'll do it as soon as I can :)
Hmm... I've been told thrice, Dry Bowser can't be rimlit without some extra material edits.

Fusion Samus, odd. Could it be that she doesn't have metal model applied? Just in case, recheck everything once more.

Halcreix

Smash Cadet
Fusion Samus has metal, I don't play with metal boxes ON in versus (this to prevent any crash from textures I know doesn't have metal textures) but I know because I put her in the "blue team" slot which is the second one in the game, and when I played Classic mode with Samus, another Samus challenged me in the "Metal stage", so it was the Fusion one.

CARLCGL

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm new to brawl hax and i was trying your tut, and I think i followed it step by step but it ends like this...

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
yes, I tried redoing it from the begining, but with the same result. The model has like eight shaders, how many of them should i edit?
Check the materials to look at the shaders. If you check the ext_mlt materials and the shaders, DON'T EDIT THEM It'll ruin the metal effect. As long you don't edit the Ext_mlt, you should be able to edit the shaders. You can always start over.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
I'm pasting part of the tutorial here:

First off, you need to know what shaders are you gonna edit and what are you gonna avoid... and how do you figure it out you ask? Well, check your material folder again and and look at this little info here:

See that? Shader 0, that is getting an edit, also, you might have noticed that the sword is part of shader 0, that's okay... since you did not added an edge material to the sword it may be unaffected. The same occurs with the thunder on shader 1. If an error occurs, then you need to add an edge material to fix it later, the same way it was covered in the previous section.

So you need to write down what shaders are you gonna edit by viewing the materials with "edge" in it, remember to avoid light and metal shaders.

Please pay reeeeeeeeally close attention on the edge stage in the shader's and edge material's coding. The coding must be exact, in the correct place with no exception. Being that is your first time pay close attention to what settings you are changing, also, there are sections that a setting differs per character... and how I explain to find that settings.

A common error I find is "misscoding" which is caused by speedreading the tutorial.

Last edited:

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Is it possible to change the color of the rim-light? If so, is it also possible to have different rim-light colors for different parts of the model?

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Is it possible to change the color of the rim-light?
Yes, just change the color of the edge texture.

If so, is it also possible to have different rim-light colors for different parts of the model?
Yes, look up the material that corresponds to the part of the model you would like to have a different color... and instead an "edge" material, you would have to rename it "Edge_Red", "Edge_Blue", etc. Keep in mind that the colored edge texture you import must have the same name of the materials mentioned above.

Its is recommended to fully give a default rimlight to the model first and test if works, so changing the material's name later would be the only thing you need to do.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
So, I've already rimlit a number of things successfully, but this time, things are going strangely.
Here's OoT Zelda in Brawl Box: http://i.imgur.com/bY3KBfU.png
Here's OoT Zelda in Brawl Box after adding new references to the proper materials, renaming it to Edge, saving, and reloading: http://i.imgur.com/V4e5IJn.png

Any idea what's going on?
Brawl box is probably taking a while to load the model...
try it in game to see if it works for sure.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that's it. I let it sit there for a while before I tried expanding and viewing the model, and it still did it.
Currently don't have access to my TV, but I'll see what happens ingame later.

As I was typing this message, I was trying a few different things. Originally, I was working in the latest version of Brawlbox (0.74b), which I have successfully rimlit things with before. But I decided to see if 0.71 would load the modified pac correctly. It didn't. So I tried starting over in 0.71, and now it loads correctly in both 0.71 and the latest.

So I've got it working now. So a PSA to anyone who reads this: Latest does no always equal greatest, and for rimlighing, at least, it seems 0.71 works better at the moment.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
So I tried to do this to the Light Suit Samus costume that was released with 3.5 and it doesn't seem to have done anything. Let me just get this straight:

The only shaders I have to touch are the ones that the materials I am rimlighting use, right?
Also, would me choosing to not rim light Samus' ball model effect anything? I decided to focus on her main model, mostly because the shader her ball model uses has 2 stages where "RasterColor" is present, so I didn't know which one to work with.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
The only shaders I have to touch are the ones that the materials I am rimlighting use, right?
That is correct. Avoid light textures, since light suit samus... has lights and stuff. I hate being obvious.

Also, would me choosing to not rim light Samus' ball model effect anything?
Nope, the ball is its own separate model.

mostly because the shader her ball model uses has 2 stages where "RasterColor" is present, so I didn't know which one to work with.
The first raster value you find closest to zero is your "base stage".

So I tried to do this to the Light Suit Samus costume that was released with 3.5 and it doesn't seem to have done anything.
Prepare for a serving of police approved questions:

-> Did you made a .pac AND a .pcs for this rimlit model?

-> Did you imported an edge texture?

-> Did you checked if the edge texture is too dark? Remember, the darker it is, the less noticeable it becomes.

-> Are the shaders' roots have the last "false" set to "true".

-> This question is pointless.

-> Did you put the correct "texcord" number value on your edge's stage?

-> Are all edge material's true and false settings set to true if they can be set to true?

-> Did you verified if ALL other material values correctly placed, in an extremely exact and undoubtedly order?

-> Yamcha vs Goomba, who would die first?

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
@ Nezha the Scout Nezha the Scout
-> Did you made a .pac AND a .pcs for this rimlit model?
I didn't. I'll get on that later.
-> Did you imported an edge texture?

-> Did you checked if the edge texture is too dark? Remember, the darker it is, the less noticeable it becomes.

-> Are the shaders' roots have the last "false" set to "true".

-> This question is pointless.

-> Did you put the correct "texcord" number value on your edge's stage?

-> Are all edge material's true and false settings set to true if they can be set to true?

-> Did you verified if ALL other material values correctly placed, in an extremely exact and undoubtedly order?
Yes to all, but I'll triple check when I try working on this later.
-> Yamcha vs Goomba, who would die first?
Hmm, if we're talking DB Yamcha, than he has a shot. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a ring-out by completely over shooting his jump to stomp the goomba.

Thanks for the quick response, dude.

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Thanks again for this tutorial, since I've started up another personal character project for my personal build. I know that I haven't forgotten how to rim light, but I've tried five times to rim light a Link model, and the effect doesn't show up in game. I've double, triple, and quadruple checked the shader stages, materials, and edge texture, but nothing changed. Are some models just not friendly to rim lighting?

This was the model I was trying to edit if anyone would like to provide some greatly appreciated insight: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=205773

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Thanks again for this tutorial, since I've started up another personal character project for my personal build. I know that I haven't forgotten how to rim light, but I've tried five times to rim light a Link model, and the effect doesn't show up in game. I've double, triple, and quadruple checked the shader stages, materials, and edge texture, but nothing changed.
Question, did you make a .pac and a .pcs of your model? AND placed them both on your folder?

Also, KTH made that, and let me tell ya by experience, all of his models are rimlight friendly.

Are some models just not friendly to rim lighting?
All 3 dimensional, non light covered models are rimlightable, but certain models have parts that cannot be rimlit, like jet set sonic's shoes for example.

If you have issues, let me take a small peak into it.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
So I tried redownloading the Link model and went through the entire rim lighting process, and I still couldn't get anything to show up. If you (or anyone else) would like to take a look at it, here's a link to the .pac and .pcs:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64963898/Ocarina of Time 3D Adult Link (Trying to rimlight).zip

Thanks in advance if you're able to help me out; hopefully it's just a small oversight that I couldn't figure out for some reason.
I know you probably want to figure out what you did wrong so that you can learn from it, but you could use this model, which is already rimlit: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=207455

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
So I tried redownloading the Link model and went through the entire rim lighting process, and I still couldn't get anything to show up. If you (or anyone else) would like to take a look at it, here's a link to the .pac and .pcs:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64963898/Ocarina of Time 3D Adult Link (Trying to rimlight).zip

Thanks in advance if you're able to help me out; hopefully it's just a small oversight that I couldn't figure out for some reason.
I'll give it a check.

I know you probably want to figure out what you did wrong so that you can learn from it, but you could use this model, which is already rimlit: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=207455
Still, I'll see what is wrong and show it.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
So after pulling some file swapping black magic between the Smash 3C Ocarina Link and KTH's Ocarina Link models, I was able to get my hybrid Link model rimlit... and then this happened once I started testing him ingame:

So close, yet so far... still, the fact that I made some progress will motivate me to keep working towards a solution :D

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
I'll give it a check.

Still, I'll see what is wrong and show it.
Wao, I slipped up, I forgot I offered help...

So after pulling some file swapping black magic between the Smash 3C Ocarina Link and KTH's Ocarina Link models, I was able to get my hybrid Link model rimlit... and then this happened once I started testing him ingame:

So close, yet so far... still, the fact that I made some progress will motivate me to keep working towards a solution :D
Yeah... swapping filesfrom one model to another is a baad idea if the files are different...

Ill check for sure!

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Remember the first attempt you made that you shared here for me to download? Well, turns put that you made it 90% correclt! One minor error!

These values were not edited for rimlight!

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Remember the first attempt you made that you shared here for me to download? Well, turns put that you made it 90% correclt! One minor error!

These values were not edited for rimlight!
...well, that's kind of embarrassing. Oh well, thank you for pointing out what I missed, and thankfully for both of us it was something minor; let me make the adjustments and I'll share what I end up with now.

So I just got finished fixing up Link, and what we get is... something beautiful: A Smash 3-styled rendition of KTH's Ocarina of Time Link, rimlighting and all :D

Thanks again for your help, you have no idea how happy I am to have this hybrid Link working correctly after so much trial and error :D

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Oh cool! A guide prefix tab thing for the thread!

...well, that's kind of embarrassing. Oh well, thank you for pointing out what I missed, and thankfully for both of us it was something minor; let me make the adjustments and I'll share what I end up with now.

So I just got finished fixing up Link, and what we get is... something beautiful: A Smash 3-styled rendition of KTH's Ocarina of Time Link, rimlighting and all :D

Thanks again for your help, you have no idea how happy I am to have this hybrid Link working correctly after so much trial and error :D
You can achieve anything if you believe in yourself, if you don't believe in yourself...

Believe in me that believes in you!

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
I'm currently starting to rimlight Tock's Quickdraw Dedede, and I loaded up Smash 3 Dedede just to reference if there's anything I should avoid rimlighting in it.
I noticed something strange in the Smash 3 Dedede, though, in the hammer model. HammerStar is not rimlit, but it looks like something that should probably be rimmable to me. Meanwhile, MachineA is rimlit, despite being a bunch of lights, which I was under the impression are not to be rimlit. Did you accidentally mix the two up and rim the wrong one, or is there actually a reason they're like that?

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Did you accidentally mix the two up and rim the wrong one, or is there actually a reason they're like that?
Can I see it?

I know I rimlit Machine, but its because it had metal pieces that could be rim lit.

DDD's pack has two hammers I think, one that is attached to DDD and one that its separate. I may be wrong on that one.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Can I see it?

I know I rimlit Machine, but its because it had metal pieces that could be rim lit.

DDD's pack has two hammers I think, one that is attached to DDD and one that its separate. I may be wrong on that one.

Meanwhile, this is HammerStar:

Last edited:
Top Bottom