• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scout's Smash 3 Rimlight Tutorial

So, how did you find this tutorial to be.

• I just don't get it. I still wanna learn.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nevermind. I'll just texture and wait for someone else to get this skill to help me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy

DON'T REQUEST TO RIMLIGHT MODELS, THIS IS NOT A REQUEST THREAD.
PDF VERSION:

Credit: Taiko

Table of contents:
1. Introduction
2. What you need
3. Rimlight phase one: Preparing your model
3a. Materials 1
3b. Shaders
3c. Materials 2
4. Rimlight phase two: Finishing and testing
5. Glitch Fixing:
5a. Delphino Glitch
5b. FS eyes glitch
5c. Misscode glitch
6. Non Samsh3 tactics
6a. Edge intensity
6b. Double Edge
7. Conclusion
8. FAQ
9. Other Tutorials

1. Introduction:
Hello, I'm Scout, I'm the rimlighter of the Smash 3 Team. If you are here that means you are interested in knowing the basic and somewhat advanced tricks to make your own unglitched rimlit model for smash 3 or anything else in general.
First off, the smash 3 team is already or gonna release the rimlight textures from the vBrawl cast plus Mewtwo and Roy, so if you plan to make those specific characters, you can use those, unless you are up for the challenge and rimlight it yourself, if so, I like your motivation.
Second, Mewtwo2k's tutorial and this tutorial will be very similar to one another, so if you already learned Mewtwo2k's way, you can incorporate that tutorial with this one since mine its updated with all discovered glitch fixes, I follow a different order, but for the convenience of learning, we follow his until a specific moment. In general, I will be covering most of what the other tutorial already showed and more.
The biggest difference however, I don't use extra tools, only brawl box. It is better since you can feel like you have a more direct control over your characters and its better for glitch finding in general, so try to not use the tool for this tutorial unless you know how to jump in. A FAQ will be available, and I'm ready to help out as much as I can, so be sure to ask for help!

2. What you need
-> A fully functional way to launch modded brawl.
-> Brawl Box, v0.70 and above works great for rimlight!
-> Your model you want rimlit, in this tutorial I'll be using the Unmasked Lucas from PM3.02: "FitLucas06.pac" get one and save a backup, follow along with this one so you can get the idea.
-> This thing, saved on .png labeled "Edge":
PSD of it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4d5mhd5vlgw5g7f/Edge.psd?dl=0

Once you gathered everything, you are ready to begin. Lets go shall we?

3a. Materials 1
Open your model on Brawl Box (I'll call it BB for now on), it should look like this:

This is what the it looks like when opened, next expand the modeldata the contains the model you wish to be rimlit, continue extracting until you extracted your "materials" folder.

Now these here, are the material files, if you notice, expanding one of these gives you texture names. Here you need to plan what textures you would like to be rimlit, and those you would like to avoid. The Ext Mtl files are the metal box textures, rimlighting those are a bad idea. If you have textures that are light, smoke and electric effects, you do not wanna rimlight those either. So, in my case I'll avoid rimlighting the stick as well (its not a stick, its a sword with light in this model), so in the end, the only materials you'll work with are these:

That narrows it down by a ton! Now begins the editing! without expanding, select EyeL and do a right click+add new reference (or ctrl+alt+n) you'll create a new material called "NewRef":

Do that to the rest of the texture you would like rimlit:

Your done with that for now, close the material folder and head to the texture folder, upon expanding it, you'll notice the same texture "NewRef":

Rename it to edge by right click+rename, then save the .pac and close it:

Open it again and check the materials, you'll notice that all "NewRef" magically changed to edge!

That is it for this section, onto the next.

3b. Shaders
This is the most complex step, however, everything is a pattern... so once you memorize the patterns, you are god of applying shiny coats to 3d models, that's a... pretty useful god I guess?
First off, you need to know what shader are you gonna edit and what are you gonna avoid... and how do you figure it out you ask? Well, check your material folder again and and look at this little info here:

See that? Shader 0, that is getting an edit, also, you might have noticed that the sword is part of shader 0, that's okay... since you did not added an edge material to the sword it may be unaffected. The same occurs with the thunder on shader 1. If an error occurs, then you need to add an edge material to fix it later, the same way it was covered in the previous section.

So you need to write down what shaders are you gonna edit by viewing the materials with "edge" in it, remember to avoid light and metal shaders.
Shaders that need edited:
Shaders 0 and 1
And avoid the rest.
Certain characters may have 5 or more shaders, those are a true pain.

With that in mind, go here:

These are Lucas' shaders, pay really close attention now!
Expand shader 0:

These are the stages for that shader, scroll down until you find the first stage that contains a "raster color" value (you can expand the right window for convenience):

This is what I call: "the base stage", you only need to change one setting on this one:

This value needs to be reduce by half:
MultiplyBy4 -> MultiplyBy2
MultiplyBy2-> MultiplyBy1
MultiplyBy1->DivideBy2

This value is "MultiplyBy4" so it needs to be reduced to "MultiplyBy2":

Next select "Shader0" making sure its the only one highlighted, make a right click to it and select "Add New Stage"

You'll end up with this extra stage:

This is called the "rimlight stage".
Now you must relocate it, highlight the "rimlight stage" and use ctrl+UP and ctrl+DOWN to relocate it tobe beneath the Base Stage. The numbers automatically updates when you do this. IT IS NECESSARY TO DO THIS!

With that you are ready to edit the rimlight stage. Watch closely:

These are the ones that needs to be changed. The rest leave it be.
I'll change the values that are always the same for rimlighting first, in other words, these values settings are constant it doesn't differ no matter the character. In order:

KonstantColorSelection: KSel_0_Value
KonstantAlphaSelection: KSel_0_Alpha

Skip TextureMapID and TextureCoord for now. These values differs per characters.

TextureEnabled: True
ColorChannel: ColorChannel0

ColorSelectionB: TextureColor
ColorSelectionC: RaterColor
ColorSelectionD: PreviousColor
ColorScale: MultiplyBy2

AlphaSelectionA: PreviousAlpha

Those are the settings that never differs. You'll have something like this if done correctly:

So what do we do with TextureMapID and TextureCoord? What are the correct values for them? Simple, first go to Shader0 again and look at this part of the values:

What you need to do here is change THE FIRST false, to true! And depending on the number that belonged to that changed value, its your new TextureMapID and TextureCoord number!

In this case is 1! Pretty neat huh?
Go back to your rimlight stage and change the TextureMapID and TextureCoord values to TexMap1 and TexCoord1

And done, shader 0 is now rimlit.

Repeat the same steps to shader1.
If done correctly, you'll end up with this:

Take a coffee break, cuz you just finished the hardest part of the rimlight process.

3c. Materials 2
You can finally close that dreaded shader folder, and now you can return to your material folder.
Select the first edge material, here you will edit the values now:

Just like part of the shader values, these edge values will not differ between characters. So again, everything is just patterns. Here goes!

The HasTextureMatrix can be either True or False,sometimes, its set to true, if so, continue. If its False, check if it gives you the chance to set it to true, if not, let it be.

MapMode: EnvCamera

UWrapMode: Clamp
VWrapMode: Clamp

Projection: STQ
InputForm: ABC1
Coordinates: Normals
Normalize: True

You'll end up with this:

Repeat the same for all other Edge Materials, and you finished the rimlight progress! Now you have a rimlit model! Now all that's left is to input the edge texture itself.

Remember this thing?

Now you have to import it to your .pac or .pcs, so go here and select import and texture:

Look for your edge texture and select, this window will pop up.

Make sure the settings of your imported edge are the same as mine, then click ok.

SAVE EVERYTHING AND GET READY TO TEST IT INGAME!

Results:
Congrats, if you made it this far, that means you successfully completed rimlighting... or did you?

5. Glitch Fixing:

5a. Delphino Glitch
The bane of all rimlighters >: [ Fix discovered by Mewtwo2000
Delphino is special, it requires something extra for your characters in order for the rimlight to work properly. So in order to fix this, you must create an EXTRA stage in each of your edited rimlit shaders. This extra stage is the Delphino Stage. This stage will always be relocated to be stage 1, no exceptions. This overpowers the priority over the rimlit stage. So if your rimlight stage is on stage 1, it gets moved to stage 2. On the delphino stage, edit the values like this:

Credit to Mewtwo2k for this picture.
UPDATE:
The delphino stage, the AlphaSelectionA has to have the Previous Alpha, not previous AlphaSelectionD.

5b. FS eyes glitch
Also known for the Glitchy Final Smash Eyes. Looks like your character never slept huh? This glitch happens both with texturing AND rimlighting certain characters like Pikachu and Kirby, this will fix it for both scenarios.
Fix discovered by Shun_One

Ugly, Isn't it? Well he actually supposed to look like this:

Wait? This isn't a rimlight issue! Of course it isn't, this is a texture issue! This occurs with characters that have transparent yellow eyes textures, modifying the body color has glitchy effects for these characters when they get the smashball. Rimlight modifies the body color to make it look glossy, so the issue happens as well.

You can make this fix before and after rimlight, so no worries.

Lets fix this:

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=35320
^download this and follow along, use it as backup as well.

As you can see, I already created non transparent FS(Final Smash) textures for the eyes, so the next step will be skipped.

Step one: create non transparent FS(Final Smash) eye textures, as in remove any transparent areas. Simple actually, overlay the yellow FS eyes over the normal eye textures and then replace them on Brawl Box.

Step Two: In the material folder "Export" the two normal eyes materials, keeping the names the same and putting them in a place easy to find later for importing, in this case these two materials are your normal eye materials.

Once you extracted both of them, expand one of the yellow eyes materials, copy the name of the texture found within, like so:

Don't loose that name!
Next prepare to repair the materials! First replace EyeyellowL Material with EyeL:

Do the same for the YellowEyeR replaced with EyeR.
Next rename the texture within the new YellowEyeMaterials with the original name you copied from before:

Materials fixed!
Then fix the shaders, first, look for the shader names that are linked with your eye and yelloweye materials.

In this case:
EyeL and EyeR are from shader 0

YellowEyeL and YellowEyeR are in Shader 1:

Now, you must replace the Eye Shaders with the YellowEye Shaders, so export Shader 0:

And replace it with shader 1:

And with that, the characters no longer glitch out when they are in their FS state!

Error occurs upon saving when you do a step wrong or did it too slow. So don't give up!

Download link for fixed model Pikachu: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=206517

6. Non Smash3 tactics
Other stuff you can do with rimlight.

6a. Edge intensity
The closer the edge texture is to white, the more intense the rimlight will be!
->

Try different brightness to nail the effect you wish!

6b. Double Edge
Easy, once rimlight, look for the material folder of the texture you wish to add a second rimlight intensity to. Rename the "Edge" material to "Edge2", then import an "Edge" texture of a different intensity and equal format. Then rename it to "Edge2". Since the model is already rimlit, you don't need to edit shaders.

7. Conclusion
I'll upload Lucas on KC-MM once he is ready, everyone is free to use him, but be sure to collab me if uploaded and properly credit the PMBR, any questions, be sure to ask...
The rimlight process may seem complicated, but believe me, it gets shorter and easier as you develop and learn the pattern. That is all I got to share, best of luck.
"Mirror rimlight doesn't equal good."

8. FAQ
-Rimlight not appearing:
Question: So after three attempts of rim lighting my Marth model, I got one that followed your tutorial exactly. However, for some reason, the rim lighting does not show up anywhere on the model in-game. He has the exact same edge texture from this tutorial, and the materials and shaders have been adjusted to have the appropriate rim lighting, but I still can't see anything.
Solution: Now the errors lies in the shaders and the texture import.

All of the rimlight stages have this misscode, change it to ColorChannel_0.

The format of the edge texture must be CMPR.

That's should fix it.
-Dark Rimlight
Q: The edge psd you gave me has a balanced rim that I was looking for but still the character looks dark,can I upload a pic to show you what i mean?The model I added the rim to is the ravio without hat model for toon link by russmarrs2 the one who made the awesome final destination stage wiiu/3ds in brawl,can I post the pic?
A: Material folder is perfect! No error at all!
Texture import is perfect as well.
So the only problem is the shader, there's a huge misscode on the "rimlight stage":

Now compare that section with this:

Notice? Re-edit those values like the one's I have and you will no longer have dark rimlight.

Only one error, that's all, considering you are new to the modding scene you did quite an outstanding job on everything! ;)

- Gloss, Metal and Other Effects
Q: Does the same process applies for gloss and other effects?
A: These are also called "spec" textures. Sadly, I have not learned anything about it since it was not on my area of work. I do believe that it might be the same for certain spec textures, however, I DO know that the material folder preparation is the same. What differs is the shaders themselves.

9. Other Tutorials:
- Scout's Uploading Tips #1: Ingame Pictures
- Scout's Uploading Tips #2: Broken Thumbnails
- Scout's Uploading Tips #3: Download Cards
- Taiko's Smash 3 Texture Tutorial

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Words cannot describe how helpful this tutorial is going to be for so many people, thank you SO MUCH for sharing this! I'm going to give this a try with another Marth model I've wanted to give some rimlighting, wish me luck!

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Words cannot describe how helpful this tutorial is going to be for so many people, thank you SO MUCH for sharing this! I'm going to give this a try with another Marth model I've wanted to give some rimlighting, wish me luck!
Best of luck! Believe me, once you got it once, everything is a breeze!

For everyone learning how to do this;
I you run with some issues, don't hesitate to ask! I can even check your rimlightmodel when its completed if you send it via PM, I can make a quick check to it, so I can give you pointers and glitch checking. If you get a glitch, take a picture of it and upload it here... its usefull for the misscode glitch section, and the FAQ too.

I'll finish the rest of the tutorial soon.

EDIT: And yes, I'll fix my derpy english.

Last edited:

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738

Table of contents:
1. Introduction
2. What you need
3a. Materials 1
3b. Shaders
3c. Materials 2
5. Glitch Fixing:
5a. Delphino Glitch
5b. FS eyes glitch
5c. Misscode glitch
6. Non Samsh3 tactics
6a. Edge intensity
6b. Double Edge
6c. Unrimlight
6d. Custom Edge textures
7. Conclusion
8. FAQ

1. Introduction:
Hello, I'm Scout, I'm the rimlighter of the Smash 3 Team. If you are here that means you are interested in knowing the basic and somewhat advanced tricks to make your own unglitched rimlit model for smash 3 or anything else in general.
First off, the smash 3 team is already or gonna release the rimlight textures from the vBrawl cast plus Mewtwo and Roy, so if you plan to make those specific characters, you can use those, unless you are up for the challenge and rimlight it yourself, if so, I like your motivation.
Second, Mewtwo2k's tutorial and this tutorial will be very similar to one another, so if you already learned Mewtwo2k's way, you can incorporate that tutorial with this one since mine its updated with all discovered glitch fixes, I follow a different order, but for the convenience of learning, we follow his until a specific moment. In general, I will be covering most of what the other tutorial already showed and more.
The biggest difference however, I don't use extra tools, only brawl box. It is better since you can feel like you have a more direct control over your characters and its better for glitch finding in general, so try to not use the tool for this tutorial unless you know how to jump in. A FAQ will be available, and I'm ready to help out as much as I can, so be sure to ask for help!

2. What you need
-> A fully functional way to launch modded brawl.
-> Brawl Box, v0.70 and above works great for rimlight!
-> Your model you want rimlit, in this tutorial I'll be using the Unmasked Lucas from PM3.02: "FitLucas06.pac" get one and save a backup, follow along with this one so you can get the idea.
-> This thing, saved on .png labeled "Edge":

Once you gathered everything, you are ready to begin. Lets go shall we?

3a. Materials 1
Open your model on Brawl Box (I'll call it BB for now on), it should look like this:

This is what the it looks like when opened, next expand the modeldata the contains the model you wish to be rimlit, continue extracting until you extracted your "materials" folder.

Now these here, are the material files, if you notice, expanding one of these gives you texture names. Here you need to plan what textures you would like to be rimlit, and those you would like to avoid. The Ext Mtl files are the metal box textures, rimlighting those are a bad idea. If you have textures that are light, smoke and electric effects, you do not wanna rimlight those either. So, in my case I'll avoid rimlighting the stick as well (its not a stick, its a sword with light in this model), so in the end, the only materials you'll work with are these:

That narrows it down by a ton! Now begins the editing! without expanding, select EyeL and do a right click+add new reference (or ctrl+alt+n) you'll create a new material called "NewRef":

Do that to the rest of the texture you would like rimlit:

Your done with that for now, close the material folder and head to the texture folder, upon expanding it, you'll notice the same texture "NewRef":

Rename it to edge by right click+rename, then save the .pac and close it:

Open it again and check the materials, you'll notice that all "NewRef" magically changed to edge!

That is it for this section, onto the next.

3b. Shaders
This is the most complex step, however, everything is a pattern... so once you memorize the patterns, you are god of applying shiny coats to 3d models, that's a... pretty useful god I guess?
First off, you need to know what shader are you gonna edit and what are you gonna avoid... and how do you figure it out you ask? Well, check your material folder again and and look at this little info here:

See that? Shader 0, that is getting an edit, also, you might have noticed that the sword is part of shader 0, that's okay... since you did not added an edge material to the sword it may be unaffected. The same occurs with the thunder on shader 1. If an error occurs, then you need to add an edge material to fix it later, the same way it was covered in the previous section.

So you need to write down what shaders are you gonna edit by viewing the materials with "edge" in it, remember to avoid light and metal shaders.
Shaders that need edited:
Shaders 0 and 1
And avoid the rest.
Certain characters may have 5 or more shaders, those are a true pain.

With that in mind, go here:

These are Lucas' shaders, pay really close attention now!
Expand shader 0:

These are the stages for that shader, scroll down until you find the first stage that contains a "raster color" value (you can expand the right window for convenience):

This is what I call: "the base stage", you only need to change one setting on this one:

This value needs to be reduce by half:
MultiplyBy4 -> MultiplyBy2
MultiplyBy2-> MultiplyBy1
MultiplyBy1->DivideBy2

This value is "MultiplyBy4" so it needs to be reduced to "MultiplyBy2":

Next select "Shader0" making sure its the only one highlighted, make a right click to it and select "Add New Stage"

You'll end up with this extra stage:

This is called the "rimlight stage".
Now you must relocate it, highlight the "rimlight stage" and use ctrl+UP and ctrl+DOWN to relocate it tobe beneath the Base Stage. The numbers automatically updates when you do this. IT IS NECESSARY TO DO THIS!

With that you are ready to edit the rimlight stage. Watch closely:

These are the ones that needs to be changed. The rest leave it be.
I'll change the values that are always the same for rimlighting first, in other words, these values settings are constant it doesn't differ no matter the character. In order:

KonstantColorSelection: KSel_0_Value
KonstantAlphaSelection: KSel_0_Alpha

Skip TextureMapID and TextureCoord for now. These values differs per characters.

TextureEnabled: True
ColorChannel: ColorChannel0

ColorSelectionB: TextureColor
ColorSelectionC: RaterColor
ColorSelectionD: PreviousColor
ColorScale: MultiplyBy2

AlphaSelectionA: PreviousAlpha

Those are the settings that never differs. You'll have something like this if done correctly:

So what do we do with TextureMapID and TextureCoord? What are the correct values for them? Simple, first go to Shader0 again and look at this part of the values:

What you need to do here is change THE FIRST false, to true! And depending on the number that belonged to that changed value, its your new TextureMapID and TextureCoord number!

In this case is 1! Pretty neat huh?
Go back to your rimlight stage and change the TextureMapID and TextureCoord values to TexMap1 and TexCoord1

And done, shader 0 is now rimlit.

Repeat the same steps to shader1.
If done correctly, you'll end up with this:

Take a coffee break, cuz you just finished the hardest part of the rimlight process.

3c. Materials 2
You can finally close that dreaded shader folder, and now you can return to your material folder.
Select the first edge material, here you will edit the values now:

Just like part of the shader values, these edge values will not differ between characters. So again, everything is just patterns. Here goes!

The HasTextureMatrix can be either True or False,sometimes, its set to true, if so, continue. If its False, check if it gives you the chance to set it to true, if not, let it be.

MapMode: EnvCamera

UWrapMode: Clamp
VWrapMode: Clamp

Projection: STQ
InputForm: ABC1
Coordinates: Normals
Normalize: True

You'll end up with this:

Repeat the same for all other Edge Materials, and you finished the rimlight progress! Now you have a rimlit model! Now all that's left is to input the edge texture itself.

Remember this thing?

Now you have to import it to your .pac or .pcs, so go here and select import and texture:

Look for your edge texture and select, this window will pop up.

Make sure the settings of your imported edge are the same as mine, then click ok.

SAVE EVERYTHING AND GET READY TO TEST IT INGAME!

Results:
Congrats, if you made it this far, that means you successfully completed rimlighting... or did you?

----------------(AREA BELOW IS MOSTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION)--------------

5. Glitch Fixing:

5a. Delphino Glitch
The bane of all rimlighters >: [ Fix discovered by Mewtwo2000
Delphino is special, it requires something extra for your characters in order for the rimlight to work properly. So in order to fix this, you must create an EXTRA stage in each of your edited rimlit shaders. This extra stage is the Delphino Stage. This stage will always be relocated to be stage 1, no exceptions. This overpowers the priority over the rimlit stage. So if your rimlight stage is on stage 1, it gets moved to stage 2. On the delphino stage, edit the values like this:

Credit to Mewtwo2k for this picture.

5b. FS eyes glitch -Not written yet-
Looks like you character never slept huh? Fix discovered by Shun_One
Credit to SharpHackz200 for the picture.

5c. Misscode glitch
Screwed up, but don't know where?

6. Non Samsh3 tactics
Other stuff you can do with rimlight.

6a. Edge intensity
The closer the edge texture is to white, the more intense the rimlight will be!
->

Try different brightness to nail the effect you wish!

6b. Double Edge

6c. Unrimlight

6d. Custom Edge textures

7. Conclusion
I'll upload Lucas on KC-MM once he is ready, everyone is free to use him, but be sure to collab me if uploaded and properly credit the smash 3 team, any questions, be sure to ask...
The rimlight process may seem complicated, but believe me, it gets shorter and easier as you develop and learn the pattern. That is all I got to share, best of luck.
"Mirror rimlight doesn't equal good."

8. FAQ
Right clicking does not display the option to add new textures. When I select "Ctrl + Alt + N" it will instead give me the option to rename the file selected instead. Do you know of any reason why this is the case?

EDIT: Nevermind! I figured out what I was doing wrong. Sorry.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Right clicking does not display the option to add new textures. When I select "Ctrl + Alt + N" it will instead give me the option to rename the file selected instead. Do you know of any reason why this is the case?

EDIT: Nevermind! I figured out what I was doing wrong. Sorry.
Alrighty then. Got to have ya learning this too!
Could you please tell me what it was just in case other users runs with this problem?

Last edited:

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Alrighty then. Got to have ya learning this too!
Could you please tell me what it was just in case other users runs with this problem?
It really wasn't a big issue; just a personal oversight. Initially, I was trying to create a "NewRef" within the material that needed it. For example, I right clicked "FitClaus_WearA" instead of "WearA". So the only reason it wasn't allowing me to do that was because, well, you're not suppose to. :p I figured it out when I tried right clicking "WearA" and saw that option come up.

So, yeah. It was my own oversight. You're actual instruction were very helpful and are what lead me to getting the Dry Bowser I wanted, so thank you. :) Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Okay I got the rim-light to work on my ganondorf, but when ever he picks up a metal box, the metal textures don't show up. What do I do to fix this, a "delfino stage" on every mtl texture?

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
You may had rimlit the metal textures and their shaders. These have to remain untouched, always. Even if its a small edit.
If your ganondorf is a custom model, check if he had metal originaly.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
You may had rimlit the metal textures and their shaders. These have to remain untouched, always. Even if its a small edit.
If your ganondorf is a custom model, check if he had metal originally.
During my ordeal in rim lighting triforce ganondorf using smash 3 textures, I have never touch any shaders that aren't connected to the textures that I intended to rim light, only the main character model and the added sheath for the sword. Have you ever ran into a similar problem when developing smash 3 and if so, what have you done to fix this?

Edit: The original model i put the textures on also doesn't have a metal texture.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
During my ordeal in rim lighting triforce ganondorf using smash 3 textures, I have never touch any shaders that aren't connected to the textures that I intended to rim light, only the main character model and the added sheath for the sword. Have you ever ran into a similar problem when developing smash 3 and if so, what have you done to fix this?

I never ran to this problem before. I insist to check if the model even had metal capabilities.
If not, it was the creater's fault, not yours.

I had never practiced metal texturing so I can't really help you there. But if the issue is due to rimlight, I will help. Send me file through PM, I'll give it a check.

Edit: Sadly, if the original never even had metal, its not your fault. The process was done correctly, communicate yourself with the creator or look for metal placing tutorials on KCMM. Sorry, I don't know how to make metal models.

Edit Edit: Taiko 2 the rescue.

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
So after three attempts of rim lighting my Marth model, I got one that followed your tutorial exactly. However, for some reason, the rim lighting does not show up anywhere on the model in-game. He has the exact same edge texture from this tutorial, and the materials and shaders have been adjusted to have the appropriate rim lighting, but I still can't see anything.

Here's what he looks like:

For anyone curious, no the model wasn't by me; this is actually an edit of an awesome FE Awakening model by Shun_One, one of the many relics from his old House of Pancakes thread.

Any guesses as to what may have happened and how to fix it? Despite my problems with the model, the tutorial was easy to follow by the way, I just need to work on getting the patterns down correctly

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Added a new tutorial for the Glitch fix section.

So after three attempts of rim lighting my Marth model, I got one that followed your tutorial exactly. However, for some reason, the rim lighting does not show up anywhere on the model in-game. He has the exact same edge texture from this tutorial, and the materials and shaders have been adjusted to have the appropriate rim lighting, but I still can't see anything.

Here's what he looks like:

For anyone curious, no the model wasn't by me; this is actually an edit of an awesome FE Awakening model by Shun_One, one of the many relics from his old House of Pancakes thread.

Any guesses as to what may have happened and how to fix it? Despite my problems with the model, the tutorial was easy to follow by the way, I just need to work on getting the patterns down correctly
Send me the file via PM, I'll check it for you and point out the errors.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace

Edit: The original model i put the textures on also doesn't have a metal texture.
For metal, you can click this in BrawlBox on the mdl0 and change it to "True" then back to "False" to create metal:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
For metal, you can click this in BrawlBox on the mdl0 and change it to "True" then back to "False" to create metal:
I messaged Edel about this and he said that the model was made this way because it would freeze the game and double the file size. But I will try this out just to see for myself what happens...

Edit: He freezes just as Edel said it will, but I really don't care about this as most people who play project m will most likely turn items off. X]

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Update: On the delphino glitch fix there is a slight error on my side:

Shader Folder:
The delphino stage, the AlphaSelectionA has to have the Previous Alpha, not previous AlphaSelectionD.

ikestercrimsombelmont

Smash Rookie
Hello im new here and I am a noob at modding smash but I followed your instructions step by step and it worked great.Now I know how to do rim lightning,is a bit tedious but it is rewarding at the end,rad tutorial and your english is very good.

Last edited:

ikestercrimsombelmont

Smash Rookie
Hello sorry for bothering,as I said it works fine there's only one issue,the characters texture darkens,I know how to work around the rim lightning(fading the white/backgroung color of the black dot)part but the texture part I cant,do I have to brighten the character textures cause when I brighten the black dot or fade it a bit in Photoshop I only make the character almost complete white with the rim on instead.Thanks and sorry for bothering ya.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Update, there's a slight error on my part involving importing the edge Texture.

It should be a CMPR format, not 18. Sorry about that.

This should be the last error.

Hello im new here and I am a noob at modding smash but I followed your instructions step by step and it worked great.Now I know how to do rim lightning,is a bit tedious but it is rewarding at the end,rad tutorial and your english is very good.
Thanks! And congrats! I tried to make this as easy as I could. Honestly its easy to do, but its complicated to describe, especially not trying to sound like a n00b while writing it XD.

Hello sorry for bothering,as I said it works fine there's only one issue,the characters texture darkens,I know how to work around the rim lightning(fading the white/backgroung color of the black dot)part but the texture part I cant,do I have to brighten the character textures cause when I brighten the black dot or fade it a bit in Photoshop I only make the character almost complete white with the rim on instead.Thanks and sorry for bothering ya.
No prob, I'm here to teach!
Changing the black dot in the middle of the edge texture is a really bad idea, because Black=Transparent in the codding format it has, so by making it another color that is not black gives it color... so be careful!
To change the intensity of the rimlight, you only have to change the sorounding ring. Remember that, also, be sure to update the edge texture with the correction I made above.

Also seeing that you have photshop... take this edge PSD made by smash 3.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4d5mhd5vlgw5g7f/Edge.psd?dl=0

Its a secret to everyone.

May I add this to the FAQ section?

ikestercrimsombelmont

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the reply and the edge.psd Im going to try and if anything ill let you know,people should make more tutorial like this for us noobs,I know this is hard work at first but in time one gets the hang of it,sorry for asking do you know about any tutorial for rigging models in blender cause im trying to find one and all of them are for 3dsmax and not blender,seems to me like one cannot rig in blender or something,I want to find one cause I want to rig the castlevania characters from the los series and no one has rig them and that makes me sad,theres one of simon belmont from judgement but it is over zero suit samus and looks great but I want to import them over snakes alt costumes,anyway sorry for this will I just made and its ok if you cant help me with the rigging thing,again your tutorial is great I wish it was a pdf to but I can still download the info,:GCU::GCU::GCD::GCD::GCL::GCR::GCL::GCR::GCB::GCA::GCStart:

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Thanks for the replay and the edge.psd Im going to try and if anything ill let you know,people should make more tutorial like this for us noobs,I know this is hard work at first but in time one gets the hang of it,sorry for asking do you know about any tutorial for rigging models in blender cause im trying to find one and all of them are for 3dsmax and not blender,seems to me like one cannot rig in blender or something,I want to find one cause I want to rig the castlevania characters from the los series and no one has rig them and that makes me sad,theres one of simon belmont from judgement but it is over zero suit samus and looks great but I want to import them over snakes alt costumes,anyway sorry for this will I just made and its ok if you cant help me with the rigging thing,again your tutorial is great I wish it was a pdf to but I can still download the info,:GCU::GCU::GCD::GCD::GCL::GCR::GCL::GCR::GCB::GCA::GCStart:
Thanks!
I wish I knew how to do that sort of stuff, the rigging, but sadly I never had the time to jump into it.
The only other tutorials I have is making preview cards for brawl vault submissions and exporting ingame pictures :/

A pdf version... that is actually a good idea. It would be huge! I think its possible once the tutorial is done.

Last edited:

ikestercrimsombelmont

Smash Rookie
The edge psd you gave me has a balanced rim that I was looking for but still the character looks dark,can I upload a pic to show you what i mean?The model I added the rim to is the ravio without hat model for toon link by russmarrs2 the one who made the awesome final destination stage wiiu/3ds in brawl,can I post the pic?

ikestercrimsombelmont

Smash Rookie

As you can see the rim ravio on the front is darker than ravio without rim from the back,how do I fix this,I want him to be the same color but with the rim Lightning on.

Cahalan

Smash Ace

As you can see the rim ravio on the front is darker than ravio without rim from the back,how do I fix this,I want him to be the same color but with the rim Lightning on.

I had to deal with the same problem on triforce ganondorf, on paint.net (it's a program, look it up) just increase the brightness and contrast of the textures, not the edge texture, by the same amount then add same number to the saturation (at default it'll be 100 to represent the current/neutral brightness). If you're confused:

Brightness/Contrast level=X
Saturation=100+X

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy

I see some glitches aside from colors, I would like to take a look. Can you send me the files through PM?

Also, be carefull posting, in here its sorta frouned upon intensional double posting... you did a quintuple one. Edit a single post for updates. No worries, no harm done you are new here.

I had to deal with the same problem on triforce ganondorf, on paint.net (it's a program, look it up) just increase the brightness and contrast of the textures, not the edge texture, by the same amount then add same number to the saturation (at default it'll be 100 to represent the current/neutral brightness). If you're confused:

Brightness/Contrast level=X
Saturation=100+X
It is true that textures needs to be edited to compensate for the rimlight. But a dark rimlight is actually a misscode glitch, there is one value that makes rimlight loose its trasnparency. In your case it was the model that reacted that way.

ikestercrimsombelmont

Smash Rookie
I think the other glitch your referring to is that his eyebrows shine really hard,lol its ok actually im ok with the rim but its the color issue that's driving me nuts(I haven't sleep yet trying to fix it)),I would love to send you the files Edel but please don't laugh,whats PM?Seriously I don't go to many forums im a bit of a lone wolf,thanks for the tip on posting,explain me how to PM you and ill send you ravio.P.S The textures are highly saturated and stuff cause I was trying to fix it but its still dark,no worry I have a back up ravio that I can extract textures from.And the picture doesn't do justice cause my cam sucks.Thanks for helping me cahalan I manage to bright it up a bit but still looks awkward and dark,funny how ravio is from the darkworld and its turning dark on me.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
PM= personal message.

Also, I repeat, a bad rim messes your colors, you need to fix it. Before you send me Ravio, restore the original textures as it was.

To send me a message, click my name and start conversation.

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Smash Cadet
Cahalan, it would appear I was looking into this tutorial for the same reasons as you, to try and get Triforce Ganondorf to work with Smash 3, I am wondering therefore if you got the textures working and would be willing to make them public if that was the case and if the Smash 3 team approved. If not I will try to figure out retexturing myself but if you were willing to do this it would be a great help as my computer skills are very inadequate when it comes to this kind of thing :p

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Cahalan, it would appear I was looking into this tutorial for the same reasons as you, to try and get Triforce Ganondorf to work with Smash 3, I am wondering therefore if you got the textures working and would be willing to make them public if that was the case and if the Smash 3 team approved. If not I will try to figure out retexturing myself but if you were willing to do this it would be a great help as my computer skills are very inadequate when it comes to this kind of thing :p
http://smashboards.com/threads/triforce-ganondorf-x-smash-3-compatibility-patch.371223/

Thank me later :)

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
I'm not abandoning this tutorial, but I'll be rather distant for the moment.. not because of smash like everyone ;[
Nope, I have 5 exams and 2 projects these next weeks... and I'm on high gear. Hope the guys back at skype read this.

Plans I have after the torture:
- A new FAQ entry explaining the dark rimlight issues.
- The double edge technique tutorial (two different intensities of edge's on different parts on the single model [you can have more than two... I'm planning on renaming it to "multiedge"; makes sense.])
- Feedbacks
- Play hyrule warriors
- Watch other people play smash

What I did:
- Fix typos... grammar nazis, slowly becoming averted

It worked thanks.
Can't see it... can you try imgur? Really handy!

Last edited:

ikestercrimsombelmont

Smash Rookie
Sorry I wasn't at my house this past few days and I stupidly took out the pic from my dropbox.Its fix now.

Last edited:

ikestercrimsombelmont

Smash Rookie

I made a new one and this time without any errors and faster.I think I need to put a little more intensity on this one.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Added a FAQ.

I made a new one and this time without any errors and faster.I think I need to put a little more intensity on this one.
Great job!

Although I should warn you about intense rimlight...

many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many dislike it. Be careful with it! High gloss makes it loose quality most of the time.

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
Here's a differnce between a change from the Smash 3 Edge and the Original Edge

I don't know which one is actually correct.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Here's a differnce between a change from the Smash 3 Edge and the Original Edge

I don't know which one is actually correct.

The one on the left is the correct one. Because it has a bigger black hole and its centered.

The one of the right is incorrect. Because it has a smaller black hole and is not centered.

Top Bottom