• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
So apparently I pointed out that you can now basically grab characters from the air, that shield camping is a terrible idea, and that turtling doesn't work in brawl for THIS VERY REASON and everyone totally ****ing ignored it. It's like it doesn't even exist!

Like I said before, you're so intent on hating you can't even see the positives, even when they are this huge and sitting in your lap. I'm disappointed.

And to the guy who said that good games happen by accident, you're full of it. I'd be curious to know what "good" games you've actually worked on. Good games happen through inspiration and iteration, by constant tweaking and adjusting, that's why Quake 3 was the best quake and that's why the constantly patched and refined counter-strike is probably the most played game in the world.

Scar

#HarveyDent
boxelder said:
It's pretty telling that none of that haters are even mentioning the footstool jumping. So determined to hate :(.
Please do not use the word "hater" in here unless you're making fun of me or the OP. It is not at all telling. It is reasonable and expected that people who have no idea what this technique does or how it works are not talking about it. Also, it immediately sounds impractical.
I didn't ignore you, stop being a moron. It doesn't revolutionize the game, it doesn't prove tactics completely worthless, as I said we have no idea how it works or what it does. Give it time and maybe it will prove useful, but my immediate reaction is that it sounds like an impractical tool that will fool people once or twice.

Usmash out of shield clearly counters this.

Edit: I do however agree with your edit. I don't think that good games happen by accident, I think Melee was a beautiful mistake but by and large good tests of skill are planned and worked on and tweaked to perfection. And sometimes even admirable amounts of foresight fail to a single broken tactic that game testers did not find.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
I didn't ignore you, stop being a moron. It doesn't revolutionize the game, it doesn't prove tactics completely worthless, as I said we have no idea how it works or what it does. Give it time and maybe it will prove useful, but my immediate reaction is that it sounds like an impractical tool that will fool people once or twice.

Usmash out of shield clearly counters this.

Edit: I do however agree with your edit. I don't think that good games happen by accident, I think Melee was a beautiful mistake but by and large good tests of skill are planned and worked on and tweaked to perfection. And sometimes even admirable amounts of foresight fail to a single broken tactic that game testers did not find.
Like everything in fighting games u-smash only counter it if you know it's coming. it's not like you can just u- smash every air attack, if you guess wrong, or the player attacks late you are punished and again you've been forced to stop camping.

Go try it. Aren't you interested?

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yes. I don't have time right now, I'm very interested, but you can't expect traffic to stop just because something that could or could not be useful was discovered. Just don't get upset about it. Post a vid, idk.

Edit: And oh, yes, another Rock, Paper, Scissors neutral situation. Just what Brawl needs! Another opportunity for someone to randomly guess what the other person is thinking and be rewarded and punished arbitrarily.

This game is by and large a test of prediction, and prediction is never constant. Good players will lose because they will randomly guess wrong too many times in a given match. This upsets me so much.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
Yes. I don't have time right now, I'm very interested, but you can't expect traffic to stop just because something that could or could not be useful was discovered. Just don't get upset about it. Post a vid, idk.
Seriously, right now I don't see a reason why this isn't a really big deal for the smash game. There is now a way to punish a shield from the air! Shield grabbing just got a giant nerf.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
Edit: And oh, yes, another Rock, Paper, Scissors neutral situation. Just what Brawl needs! Another opportunity for someone to randomly guess what the other person is thinking and be rewarded and punished arbitrarily.

This game is by and large a test of prediction, and prediction is never constant. Good players will lose because they will randomly guess wrong too many times in a given match. This upsets me so much.
How is that different from the approach in Melee?
actually, thinking about it, most u-smashes are way to slow for this kind of reaction.

Scar

#HarveyDent
It's not, but the prediction test only happens during approach in Melee, not every 3 seconds. In Brawl it literally is always going on. This has been my problem with the game from the start.

Also, unless you can consistently do this toadstool jump thing vs shielding opponents, which I'm positive you can't because of momentum not carrying over from run to jump, shield grabbing has gotten no such nerf. I think that in your mad rush to prove that shield camping is not broken, you are overestimating the usefulness of this technique.

Everyone sees what they want to see. Don't be a hypocrite.

Edit: Which are too slow? I disagree with this. An extremely fast usmash may not be the most useful thing either (Fox/Falco). CF/Wolf's usmashes might have perfect timing, since if you're committed to footstool jumping, I don't think you can react to a usmash out of shield, and it can be performed before the would-be-footstooler gets too close for comfort.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
boxelder, if you're so bound and determined to prove me wrong, please tell me how much programming experience you have. Do you understand the inconceivably complex interactions between a physics engine, graphics engine, and game engine?

The game that I'm currently working on (an fps) just had a new RC (Release Candidate). Other than a couple of cosmetic changes, nothing big was different. However, two attacks became completely overpowered. How?

Because one of my physics guys changed the resting friction of a projectile. One tiny number in the midst of all 20,000 some-odd lines of physics code we have completely changed the game.

I don't think you quite read my first post. I said that BALANCED games happen largely by accident. I didn't say great games.

You said great games, and I merely said that great implies balanced.

See when a lead tries to find balance in a game, there are multiple ways to go about it.

A) Try to visualize the players' strategy, and build units/weapons/attributes accordingly.

This way leads to boring games, as only the strategies envisioned by the devs work at all, and usually they are way overpowered.

B) Test every single move/weapon/character and make sure there are multiple counters to them.

This is the proper way (IMO) to go about it. However, this is fraught with difficulty, because it is almost impossible to do enough testing to figure out the metagame enough to develop counters.

This is where my "accidents" come in. Almost every game's engine (especially newer physics engines which simulate force on an object) can be poked and prodded and exploits found. The accident is whether or not these break the game, and whether they give an unfair advantage to one side of a contest.

I would ask you to respond intelligently to me, instead of just saying "Nuh uh! What games have you worked on?!" because I'd rather not go there. I will send you megs of code if you want proof that I'm not talking out of my ***.

EDIT: Oh, and you still haven't refuted my observation that many well-balanced games have unbalanced sequels (Halo to Halo 2, for instance). Why would a developer intentionally unbalance a game? They wouldn't.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Also, something to think about: Balance does not necessarily make a competitive game, and a competitive game does not need to have excellent balance. I firmly believe this.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
You are absolutely right Scar.

But, would you agree that a game that is well-balanced is more likely than a completely unbalanced game to be competitive?

Also, I saw someone else suggest that only games that are off in balance (he cited MVC:2) have long-lasting competitive scenes.

That's ridiculous. The longest lasting competitive scene of all time is built around the most balanced game possible: chess.

And yes, games like chess are exactly the same as games like Brawl. Only chess is a smidge more time-tested ;).

Glix

Smash Cadet
I've read some of the debate about this, though I cannot bring myself to read this whole thread I do have one thing to add.

It is ABSURD to make judgements on Brawls "competitiveness" Even in Japan, the game has not been out long enough to be truly mastered by ANYONE. Therefore it is impossible to judge who "should" win, therefore invalidating the OP's point.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
It's not, but the prediction test only happens during approach in Melee, not every 3 seconds. In Brawl it literally is always going on. This has been my problem with the game from the start.

Also, unless you can consistently do this toadstool jump thing vs shielding opponents, which I'm positive you can't because of momentum not carrying over from run to jump, shield grabbing has gotten no such nerf. I think that in your mad rush to prove that shield camping is not broken, you are overestimating the usefulness of this technique.

Everyone sees what they want to see. Don't be a hypocrite.

Edit: Which are too slow? I disagree with this. An extremely fast usmash may not be the most useful thing either (Fox/Falco). CF/Wolf's usmashes might have perfect timing, since if you're committed to footstool jumping, I don't think you can react to a usmash out of shield, and it can be performed before the would-be-footstooler gets too close for comfort.
How hard is it to jump on a stationary target's head, esp given Brawls air control? I'm doing it over and over again in training. It's really easy. A shielding person isn't going anywhere. Also the trajectory of the second jump doesn't matter because you attack before you even rise up into it. With toon link even the attack timing is simple. Even if you can force the opponent to upsmash that opens up the options of faking approaches to punish the laggy smash.

edit: heh, even if you footstool off center it pulls you to the middle for the jump. sweet. Also it's surprisingly fast with a short hop. You gotta try this when you get a chance.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
So you're saying that between two people who have played the game for, say, 200 hours, one isn't better than the other? So that person shouldn't win?

Regardless of the state of the metagame, judgments can (and obviously will) be made on the current state of competitiveness felt to be in the game.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
You are absolutely right Scar.

But, would you agree that a game that is well-balanced is more likely than a completely unbalanced game to be competitive?

Also, I saw someone else suggest that only games that are off in balance (he cited MVC:2) have long-lasting competitive scenes.

That's ridiculous. The longest lasting competitive scene of all time is built around the most balanced game possible: chess.

And yes, games like chess are exactly the same as games like Brawl. Only chess is a smidge more time-tested ;).
Actually, one of my employers is Gary McGowan, a chess Grand Master. According to him, White wins 60% of games between players of equal skill. I'd say a 20% margin is fairly significantly unbalanced--and considering a coin flip or seeding determines who is playing white, it's one of the most unbalanced and yet most competitive games in history, as one person is always at a disadvantage.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Brawl was clearly meant to be a party game as it was made for the more casual player. This is supported by three indisputable facts:

1) L-cancel was in the first two smash bros games. Why would they remove it? So the pros in melee who perfected this skill wouldn't immediately **** everyone.

2) Tripping is an insanely horrible aspect of brawl, put in only to hinder combos and constant pressuring. The fact that it is completely random proves this.

3) Auto sweetspotting. Enough said.

I would like to point out that I do enjoy playing brawl, mostly because it is a new game and the many interesting characters make it entertaining. However, I find myself growing bored during long sessions of brawl and begin wishing I were playing melee instead. I am embracing brawl as the "new" smash (what choice do I have), but I will continue playing melee alongside it. What really upsets me the most is the majority of the smash community is dropping melee for brawl and that kills my motivation to get better. Tournaments and smashfests that were actually close to where I live will now have only brawl. I may get lucky from time to time to find someone to play melee with, but that is a rarity.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
I enjoyed reading your first post Scar, and I agree that Melee is more competitive at this point than Brawl. Nobody can deny that. However, I do have to agree with Card; this thread is pointless. Well written, well discussed, but ultimately pointless. This thread only serves to inflame idiots and get the more intelligent posters to repeat the same things they've been saying since February. As Chu said, a lot of the annoying pro and anti-Brawl members are kids or act like it. They drown out those who would like to develop the metagame, and that kills the boards.

Most of us know that Brawl is currently a lesser competitive game, but it is a game in it's infancy. It does need time and effort to make it into something worthy of the competitive Melee community. The debate about Brawl and the pro-Melee stance is very disheartening to would be Brawl players, because it would seem that if Melee is more competitive, then what's the point? Also, we have mentioned before, this is all speculation garnered from a widely disproportionate amount of playtime between the two games. What it really comes down to is different strokes for different folks; neither choice is wholly wrong, nor is it wholly right. It all comes down to personal preference.

Wha? Most of the depth of fighting games and competitive games in general comes from prediction. Prediction helps good players win, not the other way around. It seems like technicality has become the measure of competition and depth, not prediction, timing, spacing, etc. RPS systems are what many fighting games are built off of, and disliking one of those systems messes with your argument for a lack of options. Guessing isn't random, a smart (read: good) player will predict the correct choice in their mind and go from there. In any other community, a focus on prediction and cleverness (the much vaunted mindgames) would be a good thing, no matter the simplicity or complexity of the technical aspects of the system. This is why a more traditional fighting game scene (SRK forums) have taken to this game so strongly; it espouses more traditional fighting values. Their matches don't devolve into camping and spamming, they find ways around it, they think in advance, they are open to new ideas and techniques.

I agree with you on some points, but as a fighting game enthusiast, this post left me bloody gobsmacked.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Actually, one of my employers is Gary McGowan, a chess Grand Master. According to him, White wins 60% of games between players of equal skill. I'd say a 20% margin is fairly significantly unbalanced--and considering a coin flip or seeding determines who is playing white, it's one of the most unbalanced and yet most competitive games in history, as one person is always at a disadvantage.
Ugh. Well, I lose, I guess. Not going to try to refute a 2400 player. However, I would say in that case just play best of 10, switching sides every game. And I also would draw into question the part about "equal skill". A 2400 player will consistently beat a 2350 while playing black, though their skill levels are close to equal.

Man I miss chess.

Oh well, lets get this thing back on its rails:

to the above poster: Again, I say that to think Sakurai took out L-canceling because of the pros is silly. I mean, its not like when you buy Brawl, you are forced to play against a pro until you lose interest in the game. I am a firm believer that it was taken out due to something not working well with the engine.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Brawl was clearly meant to be a party game as it was made for the more casual player. This is supported by three indisputable facts:

autosweetspotting in no way makes it more casual. sure as you probably see it, it makes recovering easier. however, i have seen that the competitive crowd can take more advantage of this new mechanic to apply a lot of pressure in off stage edgeguarding especially with characters like gaw and marth. they can fall back, aerial, jump, aerial again, perhaps even have a third attack in there somehow, and use their upB to get back to the ledge so fast (cause of autosweespotting), and can start attacking right away again. autosweetspotting (was about to abbreviate it to ***'ing but that didn't sound right lol) overall sped up the off stage game IMO

paper_crane

Smash Cadet
Now your just making vast generalization in an attempt to satire. We both know there is a big difference between using the core game play elements that are required to play the game compared to advanced techniques required to play the game at a competitive level.

But, this isn't true for Melee. With the exception of probably just L-canceling, the universal techniques help certain characters much more than others.
I'm not making a generalization. Rather, you've drawn an arbitrary line between what you consider "core gameplay elements" and "advanced techniques," saying that the former is more legitimate than the latter, despite the fact that they both serve universal functions that affect all characters in slightly different ways. You could argue that short hopping benefits some characters more than others and you'd be absolutely correct, but that's no reason to remove it. Removing universal options is taking options away from everybody and dumbing down the game.

I didn't say Melee characters were not unique, they clearly are when you look at there move sets and properties. I simply don't like how every character must use all the same universal techniques to be able to compete. Does pressing L, R or Z when you land with an aerial somehow give the game depth? Does pressing that button somehow make the game more competitive? Am I the only one that thinks that knowing how to avoid lag by knowing your character is better than knowing the timing of a button? Instead of "press this when ever you land." We have "Do I have time to use this attack from a short hop, or do I need to full jump? How many of my attacks can I reasonably auto cancel? It the reward worth the risk of the attacks that may take too long?"
I agree that the l-cancel was unnecessary, and you'll notice that I never cite it as an example of an advanced technique that creates depth. L-canceling does not do anything except create an extra technical barrier.

However, even with l-canceling, you still have to consider questions like whether you short hop or full jump, whether you fastfall or not, whether an attack will be punishable. In fact, most of the Melee advanced techniques that have disappeared from Brawl created more of these questions for every character. Do you wavedash or just run to approach? Do you dashdance or block to prevent damage? Do you crouch cancel counter or try to sidestep instead?

The loss of these advanced techniques means that the questions concerning them are no longer relevant, and the game's depth suffers as a result.

Actually the problem here is you used Pichu in your comparison, a character that was intended to be a joke character. I believe that even one of his trophies said something like simply using him is a challenge.
But the old advanced techniques didn't create that imbalance, as you seem to be suggesting. The problem doesn't lie with universal options, because as you can see, speed combined with shffling, dashdancing, and wavedashing--three advanced techniques that benefit Pichu in no small manner--couldn't save Pichu from the bottom tier. The imbalance exists because Pichu, like several other lower-tier characters, was grossly underpowered to begin with.

Or using an attack that goes right through shield, or breaking shields--something that is viable now.
How many characters can break shields with one move, and how many characters have unblockable attacks? A handful, at best. This does not help the great majority of the cast.

And how exactly does this help camping? When the camper gets hits, he will have to deal with the exact same thing.
Quote in reference to low hitstun favoring the defender. You are right that the defender will find himself largely unable to follow up after successfully landing a counterattack. Generally speaking, the situation will reset and the defender goes back to camping, because camping is safer than and as effective as trying to maintain pressure.

I disagree, people are just not using the right attacks yet. There are moves in the game, created for the purpose of taking out campers.

Attacks that go right through shields. You can approach and use projectiles at the same time to pressure a shield and stay safe. Well spaced attacks can actually break shields fairly fast in Brawl where in Melee it basically never happened. Dashing shield grab will work very well for characters for low traction. There are many ways to beat shield campers.
What do you mean by breaking shields? No one is going sit in the shield and wait for you break it open, especially if you're forced to distance yourself from the opponent between every attack. That takes time that you simply don't have, especially if you're trying to maintain pressure.

Furthermore, shield counters are not just limited to shield grabs. Aerial attacks, up B moves, and up smashes can be used directly out of the shield. Besides that, shield dropping is faster in Brawl, so you can often counter with whatever you want just by letting go of the shield button and attacking. This is especially true with powershielding, because it reduces the defender's already small shieldstun even further. A character like Marth could easily block or powershield your attack and still be in range to punish you with something like ftilt or sh fair/bair. Even if you maneuver out of Marth's range, you are too far away to maintain pressure and the situation resets.

The other options are valid. But most of them also existed in Melee.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
to the above poster: Again, I say that to think Sakurai took out L-canceling because of the pros is silly. I mean, its not like when you buy Brawl, you are forced to play against a pro until you lose interest in the game. I am a firm believer that it was taken out due to something not working well with the engine.
Maybe so, but then why was it also in 64? I think they realized how big the smash community has gotten and probably thought there would be a lot of people who understood how to L-cancel and they didn't want them to have an advantage over casual players. Let's say a noob buys brawl on the day of release. He takes it home, plays it, loves it. He starts playing with many people. Eventually, he encounters people who can L-cancel. They destroy him in many matches. Suddenly, he doesn't enjoy the game anymore and stops playing. I believe this is what they feared might happen.

autosweetspotting in no way makes it more casual. sure as you probably see it, it makes recovering easier. however, i have seen that the competitive crowd can take more advantage of this new mechanic to apply a lot of pressure in off stage edgeguarding especially with characters like gaw and marth. they can fall back, aerial, jump, aerial again, perhaps even have a third attack in there somehow, and use their upB to get back to the ledge so fast (cause of autosweespotting), and can start attacking right away again. autosweetspotting (was about to abbreviate it to ***'ing but that didn't sound right lol) overall sped up the off stage game IMO
True. It has opened up a door for roundabout edgeguarding. However, that is what smash veterans have discovered, not the intent of the programmers. Autosweetspotting just screams out **** you to everyone who could egdehog/edgeguard effectively in melee. It's obvious they didn't want this to carry over. Oh well, I guess I just have to adjust to it.

paper_crane

Smash Cadet
I just did some testing with a friend, and it doesn't seem like footstool jumping disables the shield. I tried footstool jumping off my friend's shield several times, at several different heights, and using several different character combinations, yet the shield remained up. I also tried footstool jumping into rising aerials, and my friend was able to block them. His shield eventually shattered just because he held it too long, but that didn't have anything to do with the footstool jumps.

If the footstool doesn't disable the shield, it doesn't achieve anything besides placing you inside opponent's attack range before you use your own attack.

Am I missing something here?

Zyphent

Smash Apprentice
The fact of the matter is that people often compare them in individual traits, such as being able to dodge in air multiple times in Brawl, which suddenly ruins all competitive aspects of the game (supposedly) or something along those lines.

Of course the true debate has a lot more depth to it than that, but I feel many people just got too attached to Melee to accept some of the new implementations. Brawl is still equally as much a competitive, party, laid back, hardcore, pick up and play, devote yourself to game as melee was, but with a few new mechanics, in short, Brawl does everything Melee does, just with some new additions and changes. (yes I know those contradict each other, but its very true in the case of Smash Brothers, it really caters to everyone)

It all boils down to whether or not you are the type of person to accept said changes, and change your play style based upon them, or the type to cling to the old Melee style and reuse to play Brawl at all.

Either way you pick, I must say to post threads along the lines of "Brawl Suckz lolololol" is pretty stupid, and I see no goal in it, are you trying to get more people to hate Brawl? Whats the end goal there? Same could be said for "OMFG BRAWL R TEH BEST" threads as well though.

Koga

Smash Journeyman

1) L-cancel was in the first two smash bros games. Why would they remove it? So the pros in melee who perfected this skill wouldn't immediately **** everyone.

2) Tripping is an insanely horrible aspect of brawl, put in only to hinder combos and constant pressuring. The fact that it is completely random proves this.

I would like to point out that I do enjoy playing brawl, mostly because it is a new game and the many interesting characters make it entertaining. However, I find myself growing bored during long sessions of brawl and begin wishing I were playing melee instead. I am embracing brawl as the "new" smash (what choice do I have), but I will continue playing melee alongside it. What really upsets me the most is the majority of the smash community is dropping melee for brawl and that kills my motivation to get better. Tournaments and smashfests that were actually close to where I live will now have only brawl. I may get lucky from time to time to find someone to play melee with, but that is a rarity.
Your fail started with your first post:

Pros play with pros, Casuals play with casuals. No pro is gonna jump in and **** a casual fromt the start, maybe in a small group of friends. But then there's usually already a "best" player who wins anyways. Also, the party aspect of the game comes from the four player mode, which is uncomparable to the 1v1 competative side of the game.

trying to prove the intent of the game without having quotes from the creator is made of fail.

"The fighting is definately more advanced this time around"-Masahiro Sakurai

Suck it blue!!!

Mama

Smash Ace
Looks like the true arguments are starting to surface which is nice. Makes things much easier to address.

So when it boils down to it, things are looking like this. Things in Melee are much easier to do in Brawl. In terms of survival, you no longer have to be that skilled to recover or DI and make it back to the stage. In Melee if you screwed something up it could have meant the end of your life. In Brawl that same screw up is punishable but not as horribly punishable as it was before.

In regards to the easiness of some things in Brawl, I do think it takes less skill to do these things in Brawl. And because of that it takes less skill to be on equal footing with someone conditioned in Melee terms. I know (Scar) that you're not saying people who are great in Melee will win against people who are not. But the only way to look at this argument of easiness is to view it as someone expecting Melee skill to be rewarded in the same way as it was in Melee and then being upset that the skills of Melee are now less skillful. While that does show a less competitive nature on Brawl's part (for now) I think it simply shows that we are still thinking inside the box. Not taking all things into consideration.

You're not judging everything based on Melee though. There are still valid points about overall competitive play like the randomness of things. I'm just saying here that just because things in Melee are easier to do in Brawl doesn't mean that everything in Brawl is easy to do. There are a lot of things that take practice and training (like timing of attacks, RARing, understanding mechanics, etc etc) and who knows what else in the future. So I guess what I'm saying is, what was hard in Melee is easy in Brawl but we don't know everything thats hard in Brawl. Of course that means that what is hard in Brawl is hard in Brawl.

Punishment looks like another big issue right now. Big screw ups will only equate to small punishment. This is something I don't really see a clear way around. If a less skilled player screws up he gets punished by something small. If a high skilled player screws up he basically gets the same thing. In this manner it seems that the gap has been made smaller between skill levels since things can be done to either equally.

Right now the only solution I see to that is more time learning. When we learn to view this game correctly we may discover proper ways to punish people. Or we may learn what Brawl's scale of good and bad is. For all we know what we view as small punishment could turn out to be a really bad thing for the person being punished. I'm also sure that people will learn how to avoid punishment through pure skill which may help to put less skilled players where they should be. But who knows. We don't know everything there is to know so we really can't tell what will take skill and what wont. I'm just trying to look at Brawl in a different manner than I did before.

The rock paper scissors thing seems to be another stumbling block to over come. Projectile spammers, as it stands now, are at an advantage. However there may be a type of character with a perfect counter like someone with a reflector or devouring ability but what if that type of character has a counter that is itself countered by projectile spamming? Its something that seems very annoying. Someone should be rewarded for being better. Not for being able to counter pick a character type. However this is something that I'm making myself view in a different manner. Counter picking character types will likely take skill in itself. After the initial pick it'll boil down to strategy. A person should not be able to choose to win, but through perseverance I think that ways around camping will surface sooner than we think. I remember that people thought Shiek was severely broken and unbeatable. Some even thought she'd be banned. But look at things now. For all we know things will turn out the same way for projectile spamming.

All that still leaves poke-camping though. However I see that being changed in time too. There is always hope. When faced with a challenge we, as the competitive community, should try to beat that challenge. Do everything in our power to over come. Rather than look at something and be convinced with our current understanding we should throw what we know out the window and seek to better our understanding. Thats the only way I see things. Right now Brawl is less skill oriented than Melee in our view. But we've yet to remove Melee from our minds and start working on Brawl. The way we can try to do that is to try and move on to this new game and get Melee out of our minds. Even though right now I admit that that sounds pretty weird (coming from me at least) I think it a necessity. Thanks to this thread I can view this issue from a critical standpoint. Thanks to my own conditioning, I can shed things the things I've become accustomed to. That may be difficult for a lot of people but its just another hurdle.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Maybe so, but then why was it also in 64? I think they realized how big the smash community has gotten and probably thought there would be a lot of people who understood how to L-cancel and they didn't want them to have an advantage over casual players. Let's say a noob buys brawl on the day of release. He takes it home, plays it, loves it. He starts playing with many people. Eventually, he encounters people who can L-cancel. They destroy him in many matches. Suddenly, he doesn't enjoy the game anymore and stops playing. I believe this is what they feared might happen.

True. It has opened up a door for roundabout edgeguarding. However, that is what smash veterans have discovered, not the intent of the programmers. Autosweetspotting just screams out **** you to everyone who could egdehog/edgeguard effectively in melee. It's obvious they didn't want this to carry over. Oh well, I guess I just have to adjust to it.

Melee and 64 were very low budget games. The engines they had to build the game weren't very friendly to the way the game operates due to the fact that no game had been developed like it yet.

In the first two they didn't have a physics engine as part of the game code, instead they bound the physics independently to each entity. This is why characters have such varied fall speeds and weights and almost seem like they are from different planets in the first two.

however, Brawl had a much larger budget and access to a physics engine for the game. So saying that they had it in the first two but not Brawl is not a good argument. That's why the games must not be compared to much.

Someone on these boards knew what physics engine they used for brawl and what other games it was on, but i can't remember right now.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Melee and 64 were very low budget games. The engines they had to build the game weren't very friendly to the way the game operates due to the fact that no game had been developed like it yet.

In the first two they didn't have a physics engine as part of the game code, instead they bound the physics independently to each entity. This is why characters have such varied fall speeds and weights and almost seem like they are from different planets in the first two.

however, Brawl had a much larger budget and access to a physics engine for the game. So saying that they had it in the first two but not Brawl is not a good argument. That's why the games must not be compared to much.

Someone on these boards knew what physics engine they used for brawl and what other games it was on, but i can't remember right now.
That does explain a lot. However, having a bigger budget is not a reason for me to overlook comparing it to the first two games. Am I not going to compare a movie sequel to the original just because it had a bigger budget? No. Take a look at spiderman 3: it had a greater budget than 1 and 2, and therefore had better technology and CGI at it's disposal. Does THIS make it a better movie? No, in fact, spiderman 3 was one of the worst and most dissapointing films I have ever seen. Spiderman 2 was a GREAT film and it rose my expectations of 3 to unimaginable heights. This is similar to melee and brawl. Just because they had more money and access to better technology, does not make the game better or incomparable to predecessors.

pockyD

Smash Legend
"toadstool jumping" (LOL) is actually really easy to land on someone predictably sitting in their shield; it has an unnaturally large amount of range

itdoor

Smash Rookie
/support OP

tyvm for this thread, i have been saying this since mid feb when the reno smashers imported brawl.

brawl is the smash equivolent of halo or world of warcraft. slow movement, auto aim (by this i mean the dumbing down of difficult mechanics), high jumps. halo took vast amounts of skill out of FPS's, there are good halo players, but halo is not a hard FPS. WoW takes huge amount o skill out of MMORPG's to attract a larger player base.

melee flows, IE it feels fluid. the transitions make sense. brawl has obvious stops in it. things like trips and huge knock up. to limit the flow and allow slower thinking/reacting players to have time to regain their footing.

imagine if this was done to any other competitive sport in america. "ok we need to change football, we are going to strap lead weights to the skilled players legs. we are going to provide everyone with shoes that equals out jump height. people will be fitted with a suit that makes everyones reaction speed the same. and we will implement penalties for people that try to do too many fast skills at once." no one would watch football anymore.

brawl/halo/WoW are symptoms of the larger broadening of the video game market. everyone wants to win, everyone wants to feel special and so they make games with training wheels that cannot be taken off so that bad players have an equal chance with good players.

i enjoy brawl but i miss and crave melle badly

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
For argument's sake, yes. It is my point that no one in Melee wins unless they are actually better at the game. If a player could consistently win with exponentially less movement options via wavedashing, then that player is arguably WAY better than the other player. Your point was made, but it isn't significant. It's a statement of fact.

Also, this argument is very dependent on a player-by-player basis. Some people are just stupid.
The reason we got off on this tangent is because you claimed in the original post that players with greater skill win the same number of matches as unskilled players. This is false by its very nature. How skilled you are at a game is determined by your ability to win.

If two people win an equal number of times, they are equally skilled.

As I said previously, I disagree. Melee rewards creativity FAR more than Brawl can. Wavelanding opens the door for creative continuations of combos more than anything else Brawl offers. Brawl limits creativity. Also, the skill of strategic thinking is prevalent in both games.

The difference is, sitting and projectile spamming then running away and camping in shield is not strategic thinking. It's simple and silly, and should not be rewarded nearly as much as it is. A player should be rewarded for thinking outside the box, not spamming the B button.
The effect of sliding across the ground from a wave land or a wave dash or stringing a series of attacks together to form a combo is, in and of itself, no more strategic than firing a projectile with a press of the B button. You input the command into the controller, the effect happens on screen.

One requires more technical skill to pull off, but its knowing when to use a technique for maximum effect that brings strategic thinking into the mix.

It might be frustrating for you to accept, but playing a defensive game by retreating and using your projectiles is a viable strategy. And in Brawl, winning strategies determine the winner.

Your second point holds, the lack of technical skill via muscle memory does not automatically make the game less competitive. But the fact that Brawl tests no other skill in its place makes it a more refined test of different skills, however IMO a worse test of overall gaming ability.
Knowing what move to use at a given time to knock one's opponent requires strategic thinking. More so in Brawl, now that technical skill (ie: how fast your fingers can move) is less of a factor.

Tangential, but this looks largely useless. Also, aerial control using more practical attacks (uair, downair, fair, bair) with the c-stick is completely removed. Exponentially more detrimental than beneficial. However, it helps certain characters way more than others.

Where is Maijin Sweet? Pikapika already looks broken, and as if Din's Fire isn't a ridiculous move already?
Put being: new stuff is being discovered. How useful it winds up being will be determined in the months and years to come.

The Smashball has no definitive health bar, spawns arbitrarily and as far as we know breaks arbitrarily. Honest to god, the dragoon pieces get knocked free WAY MORE FREQUENTLY if you have 2 of them. It's also much harder to knock one out if you're holding 2 of them. The game and especially their items promote wild scrambles for broken items like Smashballs and Dragoons.
"No set health bar": I'm almsot positive you are mistaken. It seems to break after a set amount of damage each time, from what I can tell. Granted, more powerful attacks inflict greater damage.

"Spawns arbitrarily": The beauty of the Smashball is that where it spawns gives no player an advantage whatsoever. If it floats in your direction and you hit it, it goes flying if whatever direction you hit it - providing more than enough time for your rivals to get in on the action. And by that time, the item is already weakened up for whomever manages to get the final blow.

"Breaks arbitrarily:" No, not arbitrarily. After a player takes the initive to break it open before their opponents. Which requires *gasp* skill.

Smashballs are broken, and also favor certain characters WAY more than others. Some smashballs are easily avoided, while others are downright broken and guarantee a lost stock. Punishment disproportional to mistake.
Lots of aspects of Melee rewarded some characters over others. Marth, for example, is better at wavedashing than Donkey Kong. Smash Bros has never been a balanced game and likely never will. But the fact that some characters are better than others is no reason to ban viable techniques.

Yes. Viable tournament strategies have been limited because of the ease of a simple technique. Someone with more skill with a non-projectile character can be put up on the other side of the stage by a less-skilled player pressing B. Extreme example, but points aren't proven through subtlety.
If any "less-skilled" player wins a match using any strategy (pressing B or otherwise) they aren't a less skilled player. Skill is determined by who plays the better game. Who plays the better game is determined by who wins.

And where there is skill, there is competitiveness.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Ah, very good point you make, Scar. But, maybe if we stopped defining each other as pro, or anti-Brawl, we would lean more towards a "live and let live" aspect. A lot of times you see people who are, for the most part, neutral. Then they kind of jump towards one side or another, where as if we stop defining ourselves as anti or pro brawl, nobody would feel as if they were "neutral" because there would be nothing to recognize as an issue to take sides on. Im not saying we should become ignorant, but become more casual of the subject.

more on subject: I do agree with you, both sides do have a gray area. Pointing them out isn't nearly as hard as getting people to recognize it.

PauloS

Smash Rookie
Take a look at my post in this thread, a couple of weeks ago.. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3181747#post3181747

I state exactly what's the most relevant point in terms of competitive playing at Brawl so far: characters with projectiles will have the greatest advantage when tourneys start, because camping so far is the most efficient (less risky) strategy..

To prove that, take a look at the tourney held some time ago (with Gimpyfish and DSF on the finals), most of the characters used had [good] projectiles (Olimar, Peach, Snake, etc.).. While some will say that Gimpy won the tourney with Metaknight (which has no projectiles) and therefore I am wrong, notice that Metaknight has exactly what Marth had in Melee, decent range and priority, and great speed compared to other chars AND he has multiple jumps, WHICH give him an advantage against projectiles -> and he's pretty darn good as well!!!

I just wanted to point something out, Peach seems to have the greatest potential as of now.. She has a decent projectile (which can be really powerful -> sword, bob-omb, etc), she has no lag on aerials with her float (which counters shield grabbing [with no hitstun, shall I remember] very well), her recovery is very good and she has decent finishing moves..

Good job Scar on "itching the scar" and actually saying what some brainless players (and new forum users) needed to hear..

ps.: the only players who like the idea of advanced techniques being taken out of the game are the ones who can't use them consistently.. if your argument is "OMG, advanced techniques ruins the noobs games.." that's utter bull****, because you CAN own noobs with or without advanced techniques, noob is not the one who can't execute technical stuff..

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I'm just quoting this whole thing. I know you started by saying you don't know much about Melee, but I'm going to tell you again: You don't know much about Melee.

Different players have different playstyles. I play CF and my strat is to knee repeatedly. There is only one other player who plays similarly, and that's G-Reg, but he does way more things that I never do. Some people only DD grab, some people start combos from aerials, some people run away with CF's superior speed and just poke until a simple throw>knee will kill. I have a friend whose strategy is to sit somewhere with CF and try to mindgame people to roll or otherwise walk right into his smash attack. There is a lot of variety in the ways people play. Falcos are interesting because they seem to have different playstyles by region. NJ Falcos laser spam better and faster than any other group of Falco players in the world. Forward encouraged Falco comboing to be the core of gameplay, an extreme example being Reik, who will 0-death you if he hits you. A local player named Bass will simply laser repeatedly and punish approaches with reverse utilt, another older player combos out of fB consistently.

All of these are just silly examples. You are saying there is one overarching strategy. My point after all this is that there are many effective strategies. Certain strats counter other strats, and some players cannot change their strategy mid-set and win vs. a player who counters their style.

This is because Melee is an old game and certain players are set in the strats they have been using for months/years. You won't find this in Brawl because strats are at absolute most 1.5 months old.

False. A CF player needs to have extreme knowledge of the other character, technical ability, and reaction speed to play ultra-aggressive all the time and win. Hax is the only one I know to be able to do this. Darkrain can do anything.

I love this about Melee. Only 2 people in the world (to my knowledge, probz. Mach Dash and others too) can rush all the time and win vs. the best competition the Melee world has to offer. Other players can still win, they just rely on other strategies.

False. Since SHL is so overused most seasoned Melee players have learned to get around it to the point where it can be ignored. Some players, especially low-tier users, however, can be simply stopped by SHL. Not all characters can deal with it well.

Jiggly's wall of pain is what I would argue is the best strategy at this point for almost all characters in Brawl. Their floatiness and air controll allows them to jump in, poke, and retreat. Effectively camping over and over.

I argue that this is because bread and butter tactics have yet to be established. We think we know the best strats for a given situation, but there is no way to know all the gimps possible in every given matchup in a game with 35+ characters. Everything will equilibrate, and I think simple camping strategies will dominate the competitive world.

Melee involves very complex, very different strategies with lots of characters. Some are limited to one, i.e. DK who camps monkey punches and cargo uthrow>uair combos. Most low tier characters have to camp and play gay in order to win, but high tier characters have amazing amounts of individual personality and flair.
I think you misunderstood me a bit.

I know that there are several really effective ways to approach with characters, I admitted that. I guess I shouldn't have said an ultra-aggressive Falcon was the best way to play with Falcon, but that was supposedly within the context of how I play Melee. I'm very well aware that many other people play very differently with other Falcons (I've been very interested in the Melee Falcon for a while, so I've gone to a few tournaments and seen a lot of online vids just to watch and learn), and it's dumb to assume to this doesn't apply to other characters as well.

What I meant, though, is that Falcon, despite being absurdly versatile, can stick to one overarching strategy and ultimately have it win. It doesn't necessarily matter that there are many different kinds of overarching strategies to choose from, ultimately one works.

Okay, let's take your knee-spamming strategy for one (which I personally find isn't very effective, but hey, that's me, this is you). Even if your opponent is Samus and is playing an excellent projectile/grapple game to keep you away, sticking to the knee strategy will still either work or not work because it's going to be moderately effective anyway. Taking my own strategy of being ultra-aggressive, if there is a Falco who's also being very turtley, I'm not necessarily going to change my game because I know my strategy still applies to this situation anyway.

And like I said before, don't get me wrong. I know that, especially with Falcon, it's quite important to understand what your opponent is doing, and this may affective your overarching strategy. But, once you chosen an overarching strategy, it tends not to change.

The flexibility here for Melee, I think, is that there are many different overarching strategies you can choose with a character. I think this eventually determines style, which is why there can be a match with two Falcons/Falcos/Foxes what have you and they could look completely different based on what their users have grown to use. But they won't necessarily have to change their styles/overarching strategies mid-game, because they know it's worked before and, if they do it correctly now and more effectively and precisely than the opponent, it'll work again.

In Brawl, however, I've, personally, found that it's impossible to stick to one over-arching strategy in one game, especially against certain characters. I've already mentioned Wolf and Diddy's banana games. But strategy change-ups are also required with lots of other characters like Pokemon Trainer, another R.O.B., Toon Link, etc.

Let me take them one by one:

Pokemon Trainer, by virtue of being three characters in one, needs three different strategies whenever there is a change. Often, it's necessary to use the one you're currently using, even if you've been forced into a switch due to a stock loss. This is primarily due to the massive lag changing Pokemon inquires, which can be easily followed up with a charged f-smash by an opponent who knows a lick of what he's doing.

The overarching strategies for each of these characters are obvious, but even within each of these guys there can be change-ups mid-game. For instance, Squirtle is the speed character, but he can do well either spamming aerials one after the other or approaching quickly on the ground with Withdraw, etc. Ivysaur and Charizard, I've found, can both be either very aggressive with effective results or very turtley with slower but still effective results.

In either of these situations, Wolf needs to try a different strategy. Wolf has loads of priority over Squirtle, so if Squirtle decides to approach from the air Wolf is in good shape. However, if Squirtle is rushing in and spamming u-tilts and u-smashes effectively, Wolf is in trouble. This requires him to take advantage of his f-smash, which has massive priority, speed, and the first jab of which, if the second doesn't connect, may induce a trip which leads to an opening and a combo.

Like I've said before, R.O.B. can either be a projectile/turtle beast or very aggressive aerial/dashing attacker. I've found that, against a turtling/projectiling R.O.B., there are two very good ways of dealing with him. The first one is obvious, in that approaching with a few blaster shots and an f-smash should handle the problem (the blaster shots wear down the shield a bit while the f-smash breaks through the shield). The second way, by turtling yourself, is more interesting because it forces the R.O.B. player to change his strategy as well. Quite frankly, Wolf is a better turtler than R.O.N., so if R.O.B. is turtling projectiles, Wolf could lay back all day near the ledge and shine/blaster his way into comfort. Usually, this goads the R.O.B. player into frustration and forces him to attack, upon which Wolf can then switch back to an attacking strategy.

Toon Link is the same principle, except that his aerial game is better than R.O.B.'s and that his projectile are not as effective at spamming. Nevertheless, a similar style of change-up for Wolf used with R.O.B. can also be applied here depending on what Toon Link is doing.

I'm not saying that Melee can't have change-ups of overarching strategy mid-game. I've most certainly seen it happen, and sometimes it works really well (a particular video I watched of HugS comes into mind...). But I'm saying that it's not really necessary, because I've personally kept using the strategy in games and it's eventually worked because it's effective enough to work consistently. On the other hand, in Brawl, I've found it next to impossible to do this because of all the various forced change-ups. It's actually quite invigorating.

P.S. Wiseguy: About the Smashball thing, I can tell you for certain that where the smashball spawns, deeeefinitely impacts who is going to get it. I can't tell you how many times I've had a smashball appear above me when I was R.O.B. and all it took was a f-air and a u-air to unleash Diffusion Beam hell.

P.P.S. Koga: It's the Havok physics engine. I was excited because it was also the engine used as the basis for the Source engine, but then it turned out that it was to make crates roll around like crazy. :(

pockyD

Smash Legend
float canceling in brawl is a myth

my take on advanced techs is that there's no reason for there to be arbitrary technical barriers for things that should always be done

for example, i would be fine with l-canceling being removed if it happened automatically.... i mean in melee, there's never a reason NOT to l-cancel, so the depth of the game is not being altered in anyway

however, by removing it completely, you are rendering a large proportion of the air moves in the game near-unusable

wavedashing probably had to go - it really made no sense (why would dodging into the ground make you slide?)

Trizzy

Smash Cadet
I've seen a lot of great posts on this thread. A lot of good ideas being tossed around.

For the record, I agree with Scar. The skill gaps in Melee were much wider than in Brawl.

Lets say that on a scale of 1 - 10 in terms of skill you were a 5 in Melee. A 4 might annoy you from time to time, but you will usually 3-4 stock someone who is a 3 or lower. Now lets say that a 5 is the highest level you can reach without going to a tourny or studying the sh*t out of some videos. Now try playing a match with a 6/10. You will get *****. You will be lucky to land a single hit on a respected tourny winner. The gaps in skill were MUCH bigger and required MUCH more work to overcome to become 'great'.

I remember when my brother and I first heard of a Melee tournament. It was the MLG tourny in DC, no less... Our friends couldn't even touch us at the time, we thought this would be easy money. We get there and challenge a few people, making short work of them. That made us even more full of ourselves.

Then, of all the people that were there for Halo, Madden, And Smash at the time... My brother challenges Ken, who reluctantly accepts. With results concurrent with a 5 challenging a 10. It was a whole new world after that... with whole new goals.

I hope like crazy that Brawl ends up being like that one day too. But for the time being, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy Smash Bros. E-Z Mode. It's still fun.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I've seen a lot of great posts on this thread. A lot of good ideas being tossed around.

For the record, I agree with Scar. The skill gaps in Melee were much wider than in Brawl.

Lets say that on a scale of 1 - 10 in terms of skill you were a 5 in Melee. A 4 might annoy you from time to time, but you will usually 3-4 stock someone who is a 3 or lower. Now lets say that a 5 is the highest level you can reach without going to a tourny or studying the sh*t out of some videos. Now try playing a match with a 6/10. You will get *****. You will be lucky to land a single hit on a respected tourny winner. The gaps in skill were MUCH bigger and required MUCH more work to overcome to become 'great'.

I remember when my brother and I first heard of a Melee tournament. It was the MLG tourny in DC, no less... Our friends couldn't even touch us at the time, we thought this would be easy money. We get there and challenge a few people, making short work of them. That made us even more full of ourselves.

Then, of all the people that were there for Halo, Madden, And Smash at the time... My brother challenges Ken, who reluctantly accepts. With results concurrent with a 5 challenging a 10. It was a whole new world after that... with whole new goals.

I hope like crazy that Brawl ends up being like that one day too. But for the time being, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy Smash Bros. E-Z Mode. It's still fun.
Oh no doubt. The skill gaps in Melee are faaaar wider than it is in Brawl. Right now.

I know you've already addressed this, but I think it's worth reiterating: the Rome that is Melee was not built in a day.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
This is from page 21, but it got kinda glossed over in some of the heated debate back there (that was like 4 hours ago, jeez), so I wanted to see if I could get a response or two now.

Okay, let me try to steer this back a little bit.

Who the **** am I to try and post about **** like I know? It doesn't matter, my ideas do.

:chuckle:

okay, now. A couple of points:

Let's do a hypothetical: Brawl is deeper than Melee (NOT CLAIMING THIS AS TRUE). However, due to the new physics engine, the depth that is found is nothing like Melee, ergo the poking and prodding into the engine needs to be done with a different mindset.

How long do you think that would take? Please don't give me "two weeks lulz" or "zomg four years", try to honestly think it out. The Lucas board has been jumping lately with some interesting discoveries that are all related to pushing around the engine.

Point number two:

I didn't read every post in the thread, though I read the entire OP (site's too slow), and I'm wondering how something like "theres a 50/50 chance between two players of only slightly differing skill levels" can be quantified?

I mean, I watched and took part in countless best-of-threes where two players who were close in skill went back and forth.

There are countless factors that decide a match: concentration, fingers slipping, a couple miscalculations, new mixups, etc.

This may be a completely accurate assertion, I just don't know how you can quantify it.

One last thought:

I've heard a lot of people rant about the rise of a king of noobs, the argument goes something like this:

"When all the top Melee players get bored with this shallow excuse for a game, they will leave, and some noob will assume the throne because of a generally less skilled competition pool."

I honestly don't understand this. To be the best at ANY game with a decent number of competing players takes dedication, which would mean that the best at brawl would be, well, pretty **** good.

Sorry, the last point I suppose is off-topic, but I just think that's a particularly weird piece of idiocy.

Happy smashing

crazygoose

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking that some of you should just give it up. I didn't wan't to believe that I was arguing with a bunch of children as it embarasses the general fanbase, but that is how you are all making it seem.

You cannot tell me that Melee is more advanced or technical than Brawl, it just isn't. There are far more options, mix-ups and character specific strategies than there ever were in Melee, which is to say nothing of the vastly improved character balance.

Honestly, I'm done, I'm just done with these boards. I've both lurked and posted under other accounts over the last couple of years hoping you guys would wake up, but you guys are so queer for Melee that you'll take anything that differs from its formula as an affront to your ****ing sensibilities.

If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say that its because many of you invested so much into Melee that you just refuse to let it go and play Brawl as the new game that it is. Instead of figuring the game out and mastering it you b**** and moan and cry "foul."

You people make me sick. Rest easy knowing that these boards are a joke on every gaming forum out there. You want a reason why? Take a look at this thread.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I'm thinking that some of you should just give it up. I didn't wan't to believe that I was arguing with a bunch of children as it embarasses the general fanbase, but that is how you are all making it seem.

You cannot tell me that Melee is more advanced or technical than Brawl, it just isn't. There are far more options, mix-ups and character specific strategies than there ever were in Melee, which is to say nothing of the vastly improved character balance.

Honestly, I'm done, I'm just done with these boards. I've both lurked and posted under other accounts over the last couple of years hoping you guys would wake up, but you guys are so queer for Melee that you'll take anything that differs from its formula as an affront to your ****ing sensibilities.

If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say that its because many of you invested so much into Melee that you just refuse to let it go and play Brawl as the new game that it is. Instead of figuring the game out and mastering it you b**** and moan and cry "foul."

You people make me sick. Rest easy knowing that these boards are a joke on every gaming forum out there. You want a reason why? Take a look at this thread.
Really? At least in this thread, most of the conversation actually looked intelligent. It's quite refreshing compared to the rest of these boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom