• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SBR Weekly Character Discussion: Wario

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I don't see why the consensus is that ledgecamping and/or planking murderfies us on Norfair. From my experience, ledgecamping on Norfair = Bad idea. The lava will more than likely get in the way, and he'll be forced to move. Aircamping works way better, because it allows for more mobility and allows Wario to dodge the lava more efficiently than a planking MK can.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ok let me settle the debate.

Both strategies work pretty well on this stage, however MK has a slight advantage with planking over us. He gets to abuse invincibility frames, has multiple targets to choose from with different moves, and with 5 jumps that get renewed anytime he grabs the edge.

Although Wario can abuse this stage pretty bad too, MK gets a better deal out of it overall.

Laem

Smash Champion
Wario is good. But just to throw it in there, there's surely an additional flaw to his recovery, which is not lack of bike or fart. My argument is this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGCdm74u0n0 . his recovery is kind of predictable. again just to throw it in, dont go hate on me xD

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That vid is old lol.

He recovered wrong. In that circumstance, Wario is absolutely fine after the spike. Fiction himself said that he recovered wrong in that vid and fixed his mistake in a later set.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
If MK is abusing the ledgegrabbing, just move to the other side or away from him, and let the lava come. He can't approach you while hes planking.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You can shield, spotdodge, or grab the ledge and be safe from the lava.
So... MK will always be safe. The only time he'll have to move is if it's horizontally apporaching. (The lava, that is.)

mimic_king

Smash Lord
what i like about wario is that he has a unique fighting style, which unfortunately makes him hard to use, but worth it. at least he's hard for me to use.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I've play with the two best Warios in Canada on a pretty consistant basis, so believe me when I say this: Wario is good. Very, very good. Underrated too.

He is the Melee Jiggs of Brawl. His spacing game is retarted, his aerials rack up damage like crazy, his recovery is legendary and his kill moves are fast, safe and strong (and have invincibility frames). So what are his weaknesses? Like DMG mentioned, Wario is a character of extremes. He is either amazing at what he does (kill moves, recovery) or horrible (range). Of course, the main weakness everyone thinks of when they think of Wario are the grab releases.

Quite frankly, I think the grab release thing has been blown way out of proportion. It is NOT as useful as everyone thinks. Good Warios do NOT get grabbed (often). The Warios in my region rarely get punished by grab releases because of Wario's spacing game and camping game.

Yes, Wario can camp (just watch a DMG vid lol). Say he camps for a good minute or so. Suddenly, Wario's bowel fills up, and **** is imminent. Brawl is a game that rewards camping. Now, add an attack that kills you at 70% or so into the equation. Just scary.

The only bad matchups I could think of for Wario would be Marth and DDD. However, I think it's closer than everyone thinks for both of them. Of course, Marth's main advantage comes from his range. However, what I've noticed when playing Marth against Wario, is that you better be darn sure that you are going to connect with that upb out of sheild. If you miss, you get a free boat ride to up air city. Or fsmash city. Or Waft city. You get my point. Wario punishes this HARD, and Marth mains rely on it ALOT as a kill move. It's 55-45 for Marth, 60-40 at the most.

As for DDD, his grab range really hurts Wario, but again, that's where the camp game comes into play. Stay away from those grabs (yes, it's possible!) and Wario does fine in this matchup. And bite ***** against DDD. It's closer to even than you may think.

Wario has even matchups vs. MK and Snake. There are not many characters with that luxury. Because of this, I think that Wario has a good chance of getting that third spot, just under MK and Snake. I think that more people need to realize that the grab release isn't the be all end all of Wario, and that he is an awesome character. When he gets more recognition, I believe he will certainly hit the 3 spot, and his use/high placing in tournaments will become very common.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I've play with the two best Warios in Canada on a pretty consistant basis, so believe me when I say this: Wario is good. Very, very good. Underrated too.
i do agree with you on wario being a good and underrated character, but playing with the two best warios in canada as your reason for credibility of your statement doesnt prove anything. all characters have potential. but not all characters are good. like yoshi and ganondorf for example. and sonic.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
...read my post again. I KNOW HE"S SAYING THAT!!!AAAAAAGGHH!!!! maybe i should rephrase my post. THERE

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
Stop arguing over pointless issues that don't matter IN THE SLIGHTEST. Why don't we talk about Wario?

He's hard to hit, he hits hard, he's hard to kill, yet he's amazing at killing. He's easily one of the best characters in the game.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Eh, I think he's a bit hard to use, but most top tier characters are hard to use at a really good level. It's a bit subjective really, I know some people pick up Wario fairly easy while others will struggle every match with him because of how unique he is.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'd have to disagree with Inui about Wario being the best teams partner. He doesn't ultimately have the best camping game, and he isn't THE best character in teams at scoring KOs.

G&W has a better camping game, and is able to KO earlier and a bit more safely. And he has several other extremely weird and useful gimmicks that Wario doesn't have...the U-air brake to name one, the Bucket to name another.

I think the easiest way to summarize Wario, is basically he performs a lot like Jigglypuff, Sonic, and Captain Falcon, except he does the job extremely well. Those characters all rely on mobility to bait, punish, and do stuff in general. Wario however is really good on shields and has good KO moves (including one that is safe on block, the Waft). Because he has those two things which are essential on Brawl - the ability to do stuff to a shielding opponent and to KO them safely/effectively - AND because he has something more that is unique (his superior mobility), you have an incredible character with a lot of potential.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Don't forget, he can literally turn games around with a well-landed waft.
but if u miss, you are really in for a really frustrating comeback.. i find myself panicking when i am behind and i have to land the fart to have a chance at coming back (1 stock behing he is at 2 stock 80 im at 1 stock 70.. i know that if i cant land a good air combo and waft at around 70 im done.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
but if u miss, you are really in for a really frustrating comeback.. i find myself panicking when i am behind and i have to land the fart to have a chance at coming back (1 stock behing he is at 2 stock 80 im at 1 stock 70.. i know that if i cant land a good air combo and waft at around 70 im done.
Keep a cool head, never panic, and do things that'll make your opponents slip, simple combat practices.

Shenlong

Smash Cadet
I like Wario because his style is odd, and he is underrated which is probably like zero suit samus as well. His weird movement can cause a bunch of mistakes which suits me perfectly. Most of all I have deemed him the title "The Daddy" since mario party 1 so yeah.

Top Bottom