• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Saving videos on SD card. Confirmed MORE! See here!

Zantetsu

Smash Master
You want quality videos? get a TV (even HDTV) output+input video cable for PC (they already come with their software) follow instructions and boom, best possible quality video in your PC.
You don't get it. The whole point of this is the get capture card like video's with less equipment and less time. This would be as easy as putting a card in, taking it out, putting it in something else

Dantarion

Smash Champion
The replay data will NOT be in video format, as that would take up too much space.

It will be saved information about what happened in the match.
Meaning you wont be able to transfer files off the sd card onto a computer and watch them.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
The replay data will NOT be in video format, as that would take up too much space.

It will be saved information about what happened in the match.
Meaning you wont be able to transfer files off the sd card onto a computer and watch them.
Did you even read the first post? It doesn't have to take up space. They can have there own format making it be small. They don't have to use avi. Read the first post

shadydentist

Smash Lord
If its stored as a history of actions, which is how most videogames store replays, then its functionally impossible to convert it directly to a video file. In all likelihood, if you want to import it onto a computer, its going to have to be done the old fashioned way.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
To play back these files, all the assets from Brawl would be needed.

The replay files will just contain information about what happened in the match, not like a video.
The only thing capable of playing them back will be.....Brawl.

Its just like the way Halo 3's videos work.
They aren't actual "videos", they are "replay data"

G&Wismyhomeboy

Smash Cadet
TC: No offense man, but you are making yourself look stupid. The people you replied to did indeed read your post.

Your knowledge of video formats and replays apparently is limited to file extensions. Let me spell it out for you.

In order to save space, Brawl replays will probably just contain movements and random seeds so that the entire match can be replayed from the Wii. If you save the replay to an SD card, it will be in a file format your computer will not be able to recognize. This file will not be convertable without a full emulator of SSBB containing all the texture, model, and animation data. Although it would be awesome, this will not likely happen.

You will still need a capture card or a camcorder to record matches. The handy thing will be that you can just play back and record to your computer after the fact, rather than having to record the game as it's in progress.

I hope this helps you understand what people are trying to say here.

fatmactk

Smash Journeyman
Sure you can save to an SD card, but the replays are only going to play inside of Brawl. Also, it would be impossible for anyone to create a "converter".

Current methods of video capture are going to be the only way to show off your leet skillz to people who don't own Brawl and a Wii.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
TC: No offense man, but you are making yourself look stupid. The people you replied to did indeed read your post.

Your knowledge of video formats and replays apparently is limited to file extensions. Let me spell it out for you.

In order to save space, Brawl replays will probably just contain movements and random seeds so that the entire match can be replayed from the Wii. If you save the replay to an SD card, it will be in a file format your computer will not be able to recognize. This file will not be convertable without a full emulator of SSBB containing all the texture, model, and animation data. Although it would be awesome, this will not likely happen.

You will still need a capture card or a camcorder to record matches. The handy thing will be that you can just play back and record to your computer after the fact, rather than having to record the game as it's in progress.

I hope this helps you understand what people are trying to say here.
I know what you guys are saying but...*sigh* I guess I didn't want to give my hopes up for there to be video format and not replay format. Ah alright =_=

*thread closed*

Xekonic

Smash Rookie
It's unfortunate that what G&W says is true. If the option was more an "Export to SD Card" rather than "Save to SD" (unless export is inherent in the save) then this would be a more viable assumption. I wish they would include a feature like that, especially given the built in browser of the Wii. You could quite literally upload the videos to YouTube from within your console.

While this is a step in the right direction for professional play in terms of video recorded matches (as is the norm when it comes to online sports leagues), it is not a full step.

G&Wismyhomeboy

Smash Cadet
At least we'll be able to make recordings of any match we play without having to play with the computer/camcorder hooked up 100% of the time.

Zek

Smash Ace
If it's just a replay format that recreates the matches in Brawl, I don't know why they would need to put such a strict limit on length. I very highly doubt it will be a real video format though unless it's extremely low quality.

But yeah, one definite benefit is that you can wait and use the replay to get an actual video feed now, which is a little more convenient.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Dude this kind of video game records are Way different than avi files and such.
They dont save each frame like avi does, but a log of the battle, like:

Second 1:07 >> bowser jumped
Second 1:09 >> bowser bair

So, at the end, the size is REALLY, really small, smallest than a single jpg picture.
And to play it the wii just have to simulate what happened in the fight.

Edit: oh youve already said that, Im sorry...

Top Bottom