• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Cruz/UCSC/831 Smash: The Chillest Villains

Pwrfulfish

Smash Rookie
hmmmmm

ehhhh

btw my mouse is ****ing up, i'll probably have to buy a new one soon
any idea how much a decent laser mouse will run me?
and would you happen to have any extras in the airman house??
too much league + playing with furious clicking = no surprise

also joe, is your middle name patrick?

joeplicate

Smash Master
i'm definitely looking for like a midrange gaming mouse lol

and yeah, my middle name is patrick
and i've said that many times LOL

u betta calm down homesk8r

Pwrfulfish

Smash Rookie
YOU DID NOT SAY THAT EVER. omfg dont play this off as some casual incident. i can smell your fear from my apartment.

did you ever have a high school teacher named april hill

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Rofl what the **** is going on in this topic.

I have an extra optical mouse that is of the very cheap variety. I also apparently have a ball mouse.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Yes that's me. I'll bet that was hard to find out with all the Sheridan Zalewskis out there.

ALSO, let's Smash/Dominate tomorrow!

joeplicate

Smash Master
o i forgot it's thursday again

what do Y'ALLLLLLLLLL Wanna do.
?

and no, i never had an april hill as my high school teacher.
i'm gonna talk to julian kao on facebook and get SO MUCH DIRT on u erick =O
it's mutha****in ON

hkt.dusk

Smash Cadet
samus all night

vince better come so i can **** him up.
****in went 0-2 against him the other night. then he thought he was too good for me and left my tv. >=[

Q-Tip

Smash Rookie
i would love to smash/dominate :)
joe just get yourself a mx518 they usually go on sale every other month or so for like $25 after rebate. I've had mine for like 2 years and its amazing.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
9/10 tonight, yayaya? Can someone check to see if there's an event dealie that would usurp our spot?

Joe let me know if you want to gym it up.

joeplicate

Smash Master
i would definitely not like to gym tonight, i'm not feeling up to it

the night after we climbed i felt like **** and couldn't get to bed for a long time
(maybe down to climb tomorrow though, depending on how i'm feeling, because it's so tight haha)

smashing sounds
coooooooooooooool 'do

Q-Tip

Smash Rookie
Oh i have to go to this CSA event at 7:00 at the village. anyone else wanna come? free food and dessert. ill be free around 9:00 though to play all night i'll check right after class at 6:00 to see if 9/10 is occupied tonight by an event.

Joe i still got your mint chip XD

So I've been told the college 9/10 room is not reserved for anything tonight so lets have a smash fest! :)

Crowing

Smash Cadet
Free food sounds amazing but I want to optimize smash time. Gonna be done with racquetball around 7:30.

:phone:

hkt.dusk

Smash Cadet
man.

santa cruz smash is probly the chillest group of smashers ever.

Im totally imagining that dog video again. B)

Crowing

Smash Cadet
It was fun. The ice cream enhanced the experience, although I ate way more ice cream than anyone should ever eat in one sitting.

joeplicate

Smash Master
ya the ice cream was tight

i wish i got to play with more of you guys haha
i need to like make it more of a point to take a break and talk to the new guys (colin, your friend's hella good btw) and ****

it always ends up being like
i'll switch TVs once
stop to go pee or something
and then it's 5 hours later and me and dajuan are already settled into serious mode LOL

but yea
<3

Pwrfulfish

Smash Rookie
http://www.theonion.com/video/today-now-interviews-the-5yearold-screenwriter-of,20188/

edit: so im making this flier for the santa cruz tournament (that we are planning) and right now i am in the process of making some changes to my draft. is this thing actually gonna happen or what? joe are you making a thread? do we have the date finalized? and the location? and the price of the venue fees?

also, im going to go home for the weekend of may 21, so if you guys are gonna be organizing a tournament, that weekend would not be tight for me. but if everyone else is gonna be busy every other weekend, its chill if u guys set the tournament date to that weekend. my feelings wont be too hurt.

hkt.dusk

Smash Cadet
i'm proceeding forward (with doug, his ra, and reservations) as if it were on the 21st

i am also going to be out that weekend.

somebody thats actually going to be here needs to be liaison to doug/hisRA if i can salvage this from all your dilly-dallying

joeplicate

Smash Master
why would you plan for something and then not be around to be in charge of it? it kinda peeves me that you guys would assume i'm in for it, even tho i never said i was.

also, i don't really wanna make the thread (and i didn't say that i would). iirc i gave a "if you guys drag me into it" response.....

but i think it's kind of dumb that ppl automatically look to me, in some sense, for being in charge of everything. like every smashfest, ppl text me with "has it been decided where we're smashing?" "what's the final plan?"

really, i don't care, i just want to see everyone and play smash, and i'm kinda disappointed that ppl seem to see me in a position of authority, because i think it reflects a lack of initiative on everyone else's part.... a smashfest is just a group of people gathering in one spot; i can't have one without you all. whenever i ask people's opinions it's because i really don't have a stake in the matter and i just wanna do what works out best for everyone else, and it sucks when i get no input back.

so personally, i feel like (with this tournament going down like it is) if i took a really authoritarian stance on the matter, and if i took a really huge hand in planning it, then it would really just reinforce the idea that our community is limited to whatever "official" gatherings, which happen when i plan them. really, i'd like to see everyone taking a more active role in organizing, hanging out with each other, etc, because that shows a passion for the game and the trajectory of growth that will make you a better melee player, and a better person.

one of my biggest disappointments is that people don't get each other's numbers and smash with each other--i really don't want to be the only connection between people, because that's gay. you won't get that much better by playing me (or dajuan) exclusively; you need practice on every level, and playing against your peers is one of the best ways to improve.

Anyways

those are basically my feelings on the direction it seems like we're taking, and why i think it sux that the tournament was your baby, truman, and you're passing it off to me. obviously it applies to some people more than others (like, none of it would apply to sheridan lol), but basically that's a blanket statement. i've kind of wanted a mod to move this thread out of the social forum, so you guys would actually get out of the UCSC thread cave that you're living in and start interacting with the rest of the smash community. really, jump on in! the water's fine! (aka don't be a PuSY)

edit: i will BEGRUDGINGLY step up to the plate if you need someone to help run and plan the tournament (with sheridan's help, most likely, because he's a boss TO). but keep in mind my feelings on the matter: i think it sucks *** that you guys seem so reluctant to take any steps into the real smash community. i mean, it's a ****en thread LOL, nobody cares about who makes the thread for a tournament (especially since i'd be like the 2nd post down anyways). i don't want this game to just be a stagnant little corner of your life, because you're missing out.

hkt.dusk

Smash Cadet
why would you plan for something and then not be around to be in charge of it? it kinda peeves me that you guys would assume i'm in for it, even tho i never said i was.

also, i don't really wanna make the thread (and i didn't say that i would). iirc i gave a "if you guys drag me into it" response.....
i'd plan for it and not be around because I think that the event would be fun, and great for SC smash. And unfortunately for me the best date to host the event is the weekend that I am in socal (to visit a friend thats not going to be on the west coast for a few years).

(Thats why I ****ing asked which dates would be good and noted that I would be gone on the May 21 weekend, and mentioned some other considerations about the other possible dates.)

i assume that among the people who would be down for this tournament and the most excited in seeing it happen, are the people that stand gain the most - the better players( you[joe] sheridan, and dajuan).

if it was just for us santa cruz people, we could just plan a SC smashfest and try and invite salinas.
wats a tourney but us giving money away anyway? (blah blah experience what not) its like a tithe or a tax to support the community. [blah blah not that that system is bad etc.etc.]

but i think it's kind of dumb that ppl automatically look to me, in some sense, for being in charge of everything. like every smashfest, ppl text me with "has it been decided where we're smashing?" "what's the final plan?"

really, i don't care, i just want to see everyone and play smash, and i'm kinda disappointed that ppl seem to see me in a position of authority, because i think it reflects a lack of initiative on everyone else's part.... a smashfest is just a group of people gathering in one spot; i can't have one without you all.
(this was pretty much me until I stopped trying to organize stuff this year.) It's not that they feel that youre in a position of authority over SC smash. It's that they assume you know, and turn to you first when they want to smash. (why wouldnt they?) If you really want to change that, just answer with a few “IDK go check the boards” or “IDK I think Erick is organizing this one”

whenever i ask people's opinions it's because i really don't have a stake in the matter and i just wanna do what works out best for everyone else, and it sucks when i get no input back.
??????? I'm not sure what circumstances you're referring to.
an 'I dont care' response is not the same as getting no input. As you've proven in your own responses.

so personally, i feel like (with this tournament going down like it is) if i took a really authoritarian stance on the matter, and if i took a really huge hand in planning it, then it would really just reinforce the idea that our community is limited to whatever "official" gatherings, which happen when i plan them. really, i'd like to see everyone taking a more active role in organizing, hanging out with each other, etc, because that shows a passion for the game and the trajectory of growth that will make you a better melee player, and a better person.

one of my biggest disappointments is that people don't get each other's numbers and smash with each other--i really don't want to be the only connection between people, because that's gay. you won't get that much better by playing me (or dajuan) exclusively; you need practice on every level, and playing against your peers is one of the best ways to improve.

those are basically my feelings on the direction it seems like we're taking, and why i think it sux that the tournament was your baby, truman, and you're passing it off to me
i said i was down to organize it, and i am doing so. It seems as if i've misjudged your interest in the event. I am not asking you to 'take control' of the event. What part of me contacting reservations and taking liability for stuff that happens makes you think that? The reason I asked you to make the thread was so I could decide on a date for the tournament so I could more forward in planning it. The reason I wanted to plan this was to create an exciting event for SC Smash, and I felt that it would be worth having even if I couldnt attend. You make it seem like this is a clever/convenient excuse for me to get out of the responsibility of hosting this.... Which it obviously is not.

(what do you know of people smashing with each other if youre not involved? You're inherently going to be left out of the loop in those conversations/situations.)

I’ve kind of wanted a mod to move this thread out of the social forum, so you guys would actually get out of the UCSC thread cave that you're living in and start interacting with the rest of the smash community. really, jump on in! the water's fine! (aka don't be a PuSY)

edit: i will BEGRUDGINGLY step up to the plate if you need someone to help run and plan the tournament (with sheridan's help, most likely, because he's a boss TO). but keep in mind my feelings on the matter: i think it sucks *** that you guys seem so reluctant to take any steps into the real smash community. i mean, it's a ****en thread LOL, nobody cares about who makes the thread for a tournament (especially since I’d be like the 2nd post down anyways). i don't want this game to just be a stagnant little corner of your life, because you're missing out.
I guess our view on this is two sides of the same coin. If making a thread title was so easy, I don't get why you couldnt just have spent the 5 minutes making one, so I could've set a tourney date 2 weeks ago, instead of just running on Sheridan's (not all too bad) choice of running it on May21.

As far as my take on 'being involved in the greater smash community'... i'm a little over that, as you can see by me choosing not to come to a random few smashfests and instead opting to sleep. Not that I hope to 'negatively' influence anyone else in this matter.

Also, I'm curious what your visions are for the SC Smash community? Are you hoping to get it like merced's or irvine's?

Q-Tip

Smash Rookie
too much grey scale, i think it might be hard to read on a flier.
should you put up stuff about bringing TV's and cubes?

Sorry if you feel that way joe. >.<
I've been trying to get together my friends at 9/10 to play more

Crowing

Smash Cadet
Regardless of all this, I think the tournament would be at least 3x more fun if Truman and Erick are there.

Poster looks legit.

Pwrfulfish

Smash Rookie
too much grey scale, i think it might be hard to read on a flier.
should you put up stuff about bringing TV's and cubes?

Sorry if you feel that way joe. >.<
I've been trying to get together my friends at 9/10 to play more
we're gonna be printing it on black and white, but i guess i can get rid of some of the fancier shadows

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Joe, I think that role has just been defaulted to you because:

A) You're a cool guy.
B) You're the best smasher who isn't Dajuan or Sheridan.
C) Sheridan is old.
D) People think Dajuan is dumb or something.

I wonder if you being like 6'5" has anything to do with it too. But hey, a lot of smashers have no interest in really "joining the smash community".

Plus let's be honest...only people who are really good get noticed, unless they have a certain quality (tall and good looking or loud and black :p). Nobody wants to be that guy nobody knows who really wants to be "part of the community".

So yeah, that role might annoy you but it's probably something you're going to have to deal with for the rest of your life with hundreds and hundreds of people.

joeplicate

Smash Master
haha i ain't even mad, those are just my honest thoughts on the matter

i have 2 main objections, truman

the first is that, if you think the tournament is just the same as a smashfest where me/dajuan/sheridan get paid, you're basically wrong... the scale that i'd like to have a tournament at is one that's so big so that i don't get paid, ranked players coming in from all of norcal, pretty much. there's a huge gap between a smashfest featuring salinas and a tournament with all of norcal's oldest players; the depth of knowledge that lunin/falcomist/HMW/scar/silent spectre (if we can get him), not to mention everyone else who comes has about the game makes the trio of me, dajuan, and sheridan look trifling in comparison.

planning the tournament out shouldn't be like catering to me, sheridan, and dajuan because we "crave competition" or some nonsense; it's for everybody. why wouldn't it be??? i think we basically just have different ideas of what a tournament should do. in my eyes, it's for the good of the whole community, and every smasher we have here, so everyone who normally wouldn't go to a tournament, or who might be afraid of doing poorly, can experience real competition in a convenient way. it's also to expand and increase the love flowing between our community--personally, i want the tournament to be as fun as possible.

the second one:
If making a thread title was so easy, I don't get why you couldnt just have spent the 5 minutes making one, SO I could've set a tourney date 2 weeks ago
to me, this "so" shows some sort of reliance on me. what incentive do i have to make the thread? why are you dependent on me to do this thing, especially if it's so easy, and why is my inaction the reason why the date hasn't been set for 2 weeks? this is what i mean when i say that it seems like everything needs my seal of approval to move forward. if you really wanted to have the date set (or whatever was at stake), what was stopping you from making the thread 2 weeks ago?? why not cut out the middle man and get it done?

that said, you all know i've got nothing but love ;)
<3333333333333333333

and if we're moving ahead with this tournament, i'm 100% behind it and i'll try to hype the **** out of it and get everyone in norcal to go

i was just initially slow to get to it, because i'm kinda lazy lol

and of course we're still friends erick, quit being a pu$sy :p

edit: and if you REALLY still want me to make the thread...!!!!!
i'll do it haha

are we 100% on this date?
can i start hyping **** up??!???!??!?!!!!??

Shroomed

Smash Master
Whoever said I'm trying to get paid, is 100% correct! lol

Tournaments are also for getting everyone better so that I have to try way harder which is more fun too.

DO IT TRUMAN THE MONK! :)

hkt.dusk

Smash Cadet
eh i'm just repeating myself at this point - i think ive already answered your two points in my previous post....
so i think you gave my words a cursory glance, though i cant blame you. there really isnt a tl;dr

but i did say it was 2 sides of the same coin - regarding the thread creation

its not that I was waiting on YOUR seal of approval. I was waiting on the seal of approval of potential attendees. You should know that by now I dont give any unwarranted ****s about what you think. believe it or not, if and when we (me and erick) want to smash you're not always the first person we contact ;]. i didnt want to arbitrarily choose a date, because i wanted to choose the 'best' one. that would have required a thread with alot of outside input. a thread that you would feel more comfortably making (considering you have previous rapport with the rest of norcal smash)

I'm going to talk with Doug IRL on tuesday to finalize dates and ****.
(im also wondering whether we have to keep money business on the DL. like if we have to not publicize that on the fliers or something. though thats easily dealt with)

WHAT THE **** IS THIS 'FB LIKE' BUTTON BULL**** its gone now.... strange....

joeplicate

Smash Master
i definitely read through your whole post 2 times, dude, nothing cursory about it

and i'm not egotistical enough to think that you come texting at my beck and call whenever you wanna smash, dude. i never said that, and self-centered is the biggest thing i try to AVOID coming off as

that kinda **** that annoys me
plz don't make assumptions

i am an english major, after all

and like i said, even if you made the thread, i would have been the 2nd post down, extolling the virtues of a santa cruz and hyping up the tournament. even if you made the thread, me, dajuan, and sheridan would have extreme input in it, and there would not be a problem getting norcal to support the event

edit: also, in other news
i also think the poster is too grey haha

Pwrfulfish

Smash Rookie
screw it, the post was getting too long, plus i dont wanna make joe mad after we just became friends again.

here is the revised version. you guys ok with the policy on free entry + venue fee for setup bringers?
anything else i forgot about and should include?

Top Bottom