• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Barbara / San Luis Obispo Smash: Smash Club this Tuesday at HFH @ 8 pm

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Decent turnout at club. I would have preferred attracting more freshmen, but I'm pretty happy.

Guys, I know most of you are Melee players, and I love Melee just as much as you guys do, because I love having our Smashfests at my place as much as you guys do. But you have to remember, the club I'm running is not called Smash Bros Melee Club. One Brawl setup is unacceptable in my book, especially since I'm not just aiming to promote Melee, but Brawl, and related Brawl hacks as well (which to to my dismay I've been too hesitant about).

Technically I have nothing against 64, aside from the fact that I neither play it nor do I have an N64 with me (although my computer does have it for emulation).

I know Joe was asking for water at the event, and I apologize for not making club more convenient. But funding seems to be a viable option, and it's on my list of things on how club can be improved. At any rate, I need to help contribute to the food funds for the LPC tournament.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
They will release Project M Demo soon. It will probably be before Matsuri. Can you download it in your SD card by then?

Also, if people wanted Brawl, then they should have brought the Brawl set ups on their own. :mad: What ticks me off about Brawl players is that the majority of them (not counting David, John, Wayne, Bright, Erik, Jun, etc.) are selfish and immature. They expect a great Club for their game (Brawl), but don't want to make a personal sacrifice to bring their own Brawl set up. This is the very reason why Chase stopped running Brawl at his CGC tournaments. I know Wayne doesn't have a CRT TV and Rebecca and Amanda don't have a TV at all so I'm not calling them out.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Red Rocket's main should be added to the OP. Who does he main? Also, what time did everyone leave yesterday? :confused:

I went to Deja Vu yesterday and was thinking of getting the 4-4-4 deal which is any combination of 3 burgers for $12 with $4 each. Obviously, I cannot eat all 3 burgers by myself in one sitting, so if anyone wants any burger, just let me know and I'll buy you one and you pay me $4-$4.50. You save me $1 and you save $1 because each burger by itself is $5.05 after tax is calculated.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Do you use Yahoo IM? I added you onto the contact list for Smash Club. I can let you use an extra controller as long as you post the day before telling me you need an extra controller. I have two with me in my room but usually I only bring one. What is your SN "xcevers" from? :confused:

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I am down to play tomorrow. Also David, are you down to split the cost of 3 burgers for the 4-4-4 deal at Deja Vu Cafe? Caleb is a vegetarian. Are you a vegetarian? :confused: Also new KDJ videos are coming out Tuesday. :) Can you bring all 3 TVs to Matsuri and LPT?

DanteFox

Smash Champion

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Here is what happened. At the MMM before, Thorn beat KDJ. But on Saturday, there was another MMM and KDJ beat Thorn. ;)

This would have also been good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9molC8nrrw

Also does anyone think I sounded mean or impolite when I sent out the Smash Club email messages? John said I sounded mean and impolite when I sent out the Smash Club email messages.

This is what Pat said regarding Swiss in the SD thread:

e had 11 setups running and started the singles swiss round robin around 3:30, finishing around 7:15. The bracket took another 70-80 minutes since most the matches were only played on the recording set up. All-in-all things ran really smoothly with only 28 entrants, since there were only 14 matches per round. As long as you remember to get the remaining matches going each round once TVs start to free up, everything pretty much falls into place.

On another note, the actual act of playing through a Swiss RR is pretty taxing. In regular pools you play 5-6 matches in succession, so it feels like your part of the tournament goes by pretty quickly once your pools starts. In Swiss however, there's a lot of down time between each match since some people need to wait for their match and other have to wait for the round to finish. As a result, the whole experience feels a lot longer, especially since people play friendlies on the free TVs as a round is finishing up instead of taking a break. By the end, most the bracket qualifying players were pretty exhausted (6 rounds of Swiss, 2-5 rounds of bracket + friendlies in between).

A lot of the newer players really enjoyed the format though. It's definitely refreshing to not have the pressure of going 2 and out when you're new to the tournament scene.
So it looks like we will not be running Swiss unless we can get 16 set ups total. :(

xcevers

Smash Rookie
Do you use Yahoo IM? I added you onto the contact list for Smash Club. I can let you use an extra controller as long as you post the day before telling me you need an extra controller. I have two with me in my room but usually I only bring one. What is your SN "xcevers" from? :confused:
I don't really use yahoo IM. Ok thanks, if I don't have one by next weekend I'll let you know.

XC=cross country
evers=lame nickname/gt haha

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah unless we randomly get housing for Winter Game Fest. I want to go to WGF, and I will cancel Smash Club this Saturday if we do.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I heard they were trying to improve the quality of the videos by dropping frames and resizing or something. I don't record videos, so I don't know all of the technical recording terms. :( They'll reupload / upload them soon I guess.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
I can't go. I have a gig on saturday and I have lots of homework to catch up on.

Also, I'm thinking that instead of hosting another tournament the week after matsuri, I could instead host SB's second annual free Falcon tournament at the lan party. What do you guys think?

CableCho57

Smash Lord
dang I would prefer a full tourney, but thats just because I cant make it to matsuri.
but having another tourney a week after does seem too much so the falcon thing sounds pretty awesome

add a low tier tourney and crews too =)

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
Well I dont like it instead of a full tourny but falcon dittos are always welcome.

Btw anyone want to play tomorrow? Do we still have smash club on Saturday?

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Well I dont like it instead of a full tourny but falcon dittos are always welcome.

Btw anyone want to play tomorrow? Do we still have smash club on Saturday?
are you going to matsuri?

I only bring up the option because it seems kinda pointless to have two tournaments in a row. I dunno part of me feels like people will flake on one or the other if they have the option. And this way people will be compelled to at least attend the lan party if they want to protect their title from me (anthony.... >:]). But I'm open to being convinced either way, so you guys bounce some ideas off of me.

guywhowobbledM2K

Smash Cadet
ideas? wobbling competition... now i know what you're thinking, that sounds like buckets of fun already! but wait theres more. We can have seperate categories like endurance,style(wobbling while doing a handstand/behind the back/footwobbling), and concentration(make loud noises, try to distract the wobbler). You guys can thank me for the idea later.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
The people at Smash Club all responded in the email message I sent out saying that they will attend both tournaments. Not one single person in the email said they would only attend one of the tournaments and flake out on the other. If you don't want to attend both tournaments, then you don't have to. Your desire to not miss out an opportunity to win a tournament, earn free money, etc. should not infringe on the rights of others to attend both tournaments. David and and I are running both tournaments. ;)

Top Bottom