• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Barbara / San Luis Obispo Smash: Smash Club this Tuesday at HFH @ 8 pm

Stev

Smash Ace
I beat Andrej in :pichu: dittos. Amanda and Rebecca can bring a Melee set up with no TV. Dante can bring a Melee set up. Is SLO still going to the LPT on 11-20-10?
There's prolly a decent chance I can come and I have a car. But I won't know until around then. I might have a midterm on the following monday and my labs seem to not wanna get canceled.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I would have came if you posted your full address without abbreviations and told me how to get there. Also Smash Club actually ends at 9 PM not 4 AM. Also Nelson and I are trying to push the LAN Parties to be 16 hours instead of the usual 12 hours from noon to midnight so it would be noon to 4 AM instead. :212:

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
It is strange. I'm hearing two different sources of information. One actually says it starts at 9 and ends at 11. Also do not make the thread for the LPT yet. It looks like there is a chance the LP is not happening this quarter due to some money issues. I'll ask Nelson first. :212: It looks like SLO will have to come next quarter.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I think you were already on the bus when I biked by the bus stop. Is anyone else interested in having the LAN Party end at 4 AM? Also who wants to help distribute the posters. The posters were vague too. Who can bring set ups? Does anyone want the LAN Party to end at 4 AM? :212: No one knows when it starts and end. Just check SWF. Also the LAN Party may not happen, so I need to consult Nelson first before you make the thread. Also David wants the tournament to have a $1 entry fee. For future reference, what is Caleb's full address without any abbreviations?

CableCho57

Smash Lord
I didnt use any abbreviations. 7336 Freeman pl.
I just assumed we all know its in Goleta, CA.

MY BAD.

If its just sb ppl, i'm down for a 1 dollar entry fee. But if ppl out of town say they are going come (although unlikely) the entry fee should be more.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Yeah, I think it should be more if outside people come too. :) I am glad you agree with me Caleb. :) Also does the "pl." stand for "Place?" You did you an abbreviation for "Place" if "pl." stood for "Place." Also what is your zip code? Sometimes, there is an error if the zip code is missing. Also who wants to pass out flyers?

CableCho57

Smash Lord
really? of course it's place what else could it be. same with st, ave, rd....
and if type in 7336 Freeman pl. into google you'll have no problem. you obviously didnt.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Start voting for the location of Smash Club. I'll go first:

San Nicholas Recreation Room:

Anacapa Lounge:

Santa Rosa Lounge:
Huy

Also let's vote on the entry fees as well

$1 no matter what:
Dante
David Martin Chao

$5 no matter what:

$1 if only SB shows up and $5 if outside people show up:
Caleb
Huy

:212:

Start voting!

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
San Nicholas Recreation Room:
Dante

Anacapa Lounge:

Santa Rosa Lounge:
Huy

Also let's vote on the entry fees as well

$1 no matter what:
Dante
David Martin Chao

$5 no matter what:

Caleb
Huy

Dante, are you bringing a set up this Saturday? The posters are ready so I think we will have it this Saturday, but nothing is set in stone yet. Also the poster says 9-11 PM.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Check the facebook group. UCSB Smash Club.

But since I'm in a FABULOUS MOOD, I'll happily share what's going on.

Meetings starting @ 9PM until 11PM (just officially).

Date/Locations:
Saturday November 6th / Anacapa Residence Hall Recreational Room
Saturday November 13th / San Nicolas Residence Hall Recreational Room

Kerr hall is providing 3 of the TVs. These TVs are definitely the ones that are specifically to be used from 9-11PM as I arranged officially. I highly doubt there will be enforcement stopping us from continued use of other TVs including the one the Res hall provides by default (which means we have FOUR TVs guaranteed).

I know John Zobac has a Wii. I have Anthony's Wii. If Dante comes, that makes three Wiis. Anyone else have a Wii (or a cube for Melee I guess, I want 2 Melee and 2 Brawl setups)? Please arrive 30 minutes early if you wish to contribute and help with setups.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Things that are confirmed so far:
1. The LAN Party is happening on Saturday November 20, 2010 in the Loma Pelona Center from 12 PM to 12 AM.

2. Smash Club is happening from 9-11 PM this Saturday and next Saturday in the Anacapa Residence Hall Recreational Room and San Nicholas Residence Hall Recreational Room respectively.

Caleb, we cannot start earlier or we risk losing the venue for Smash Club. Don't be greedy. We must start at 9 PM at all costs. They said we can play later than 11 PM but the starting time at 9 PM is strict.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
dont be greedy? geez I was just wondering if by any chance it could start earlier. if its that strict then i completely understand, especially if there is a risk of losing the venue. Something I obviously didnt know.

I just think most ppl would rather start at 6 and end at 12 if there was ANY CHANCE of that happening, rather than end at 4 am.
If there isnt thats cool. beggars cant be choosers and having smashclub late is better than no smashclub.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
People who still need to vote for the entry fee for they LPT:

David Mendez
Michael James Quintanilla
Joey
Anthony
Andrej
Jeff

I don't agree with Caleb nor Dante. Starting at 9 PM is good and it will take too much work to change it. Don't blame David, John, or me when the Smash Club is jeopardized. If you want to change the starting time, then it has to be through a process.

$1 no matter what:
Dante
David Martin Chao

$5 no matter what:

Caleb
Huy
John

Also Dante, how did Andrew get the separate room in 2009? Can we get the separate room this year?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's a long story, but there's reasons for everything. Next quarter I will try to have the meetings start earlier.

I had a lot of issues with securing a convenient location, which in turn screwed up a lot of things. Bringing TVs to a location that is not within walking distance is neither acceptable or feasible in my book. So I needed funding in order to get media services, or in my case, potentially secure the LPC for club meetings, which is a location that is within walking distance. But securing the LPC proved to not be my best option anyway since they don't like committing to recurring meetings. So my next best option was having media services deliver the TVs I needed so that I wouldn't have to worry about hauling them myself.

So where do I get funding for this? After Dark. They are a school program that funds non-alcoholic clubs that start at 9 PM or later. They can grant funding to clubs that start earlier, but this was the first time Smash Bros. Club requested funding from them, so I didn't want to take chances with that. Next quarter, I believe it will be okay if I ask them if they will fund us if our meetings are held an hour earlier (of course, if I can push for meetings as early as 7PM...I'm not gonna complain).

Look forward to next quarter. I am optimistic that our meetings will only get better once everything is in place. This quarter was a huge learning experience for me, and it will be much more organized after figuring out who all the important people are who are needed for club to run. As well as generous new members who we might be able to appeal to for setup contributions.

Anyhow Dante, I highly suggest you do not try to get to the res hall any earlier than say...8:20, as that is when I plan on arriving. But we can definitely start some of the setups and play games before 9:00 PM, although it cannot be on TVs provided by Kerr Hall, since their usage time is directly translated to costs.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I was actually in the process of typing post #590 so I did not see Caleb's post #589 before I posted. Also I want to ask Dante about the 2nd room but he did not wanted to tell me how Andrew got it. I'm asking David to have the 2nd room to ourselves (without the LAN Party people).

Also Dante, how did Andrew get the separate room in 2009? Can we get the separate room this year? I'll ask Kevin. Also is Brawl really being run at the LPT? If so, we do need the second room.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
David and I were planning to run doubles and singles, or at least doubles for Brawl.
If it would be in multiple rooms, how would we deal with people entering in both Melee and Brawl though?
And isn't there space for both brawl and melee?

Also, any offensive player (Dante, Anthony, Caleb) wanna team with me ( stockholder/center stage control) for Melee?

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
There is space for both Brawl and Melee, but only if we are able to get the second empty room to ourselves. Dante does not want to tell me how Andrew got the second room to ourselves at the LPT in Spring 2009 though. :crying: Yes, Brawl and Melee would be in the same room whether or not we get the second room. What rule set do you plan on using for Brawl? Also Dante needs to fulfill his duty as the Thread Owner by updating the OP accordingly in a timely manner as well as update for SLO. Dante has not done any updating lately.

$1 no matter what:
Dante
David Martin Chao

$5 no matter what:

Caleb
Huy
John

Also Dante, how did Andrew get the separate room in 2009? Can we get the separate room this year?

DanteFox

Smash Champion
it's not greed huy it's just a desire to get back what we had last year. If this were the first smashclub meeting i wouldn't have said anything. But we KNOW it can be done and HAS been done, so it's not an unreasonable request. I def. Appreciate what david and john have done, i just think it could have been done better this time.

Also gosu told me that the extra room costs money. Besides i think sharing the room with the lan guys is fun.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Dante should update the OP. Also the "desire to get back what we had last year" also included Smash Club losing money (since they had to lose money from getting a lower amount of money from a different source). If anything, I would rather have Smash Club start at 9 PM with extra money than 6:30 PM and lose money. After Dark only funds events that start after 9:00 PM so that is the best option we have so far while not losing any money.

John should update the FB page. Right now it still says this:

Santa Barbara, CA, 93107 Sat: 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm

Which is misleading.

:231:

$1 no matter what:
Dante
David Martin Chao

$5 no matter what:

Caleb
Huy
John

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Them losing money was done of their own accord. it had nothing to do with the room itself. I can think of better ways to raise money than just asking everyone for $5. (I'll give you a hint, it starts with a T and ends with an ournament).

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Smash Club losing money was due to them being promised a certain amount of money where they were flaked upon and received a lower amount of money than promised which lead to overspending so it was not their fault other than placing their trust in an unreliable organization. Smash Club not losing money this year had to do with them selecting who funded them which depended on when Smash Club started not where it was hosted. The location has nothing with them losing money only when it started (so at least you got the "room having no effect on the money losses" part correct). You bringing up the idea of raising money by holding a tournament is completely irrelevant. I never said we needed money. I only said that our goal was to prevent ourselves from losing money. Even if we did had more money from hosting tournaments, putting the money to have Smash Club start at an earlier time would be a waste IMHO. I'd rather have the money be used for pizza or something.

On a side note, you still have not updated the OP with the necessary information yet.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Smash Club not losing money this year had to do with them selecting who funded them which depended on when Smash Club started not where it was hosted.
so we agree

You bringing up the idea of raising money by holding a tournament is completely irrelevant. I never said we needed money. I only said that our goal was to prevent ourselves from losing money.
Obviously you need money then in order to achieve this goal. DUH.
Even if we did had more money from hosting tournaments, putting the money to have Smash Club start at an earlier time would be a waste IMHO. I'd rather have the money be used for pizza or something.
The two aren't mutually exclusive, but assuming you're just talking about priorities, I think having more time to smash takes priority over food. People can eat before coming to club if they need to. Everyone I've talked to has said they prefer the old venue and time. No one cares about pizza nearly as much.

On a side note, you still have not updated the OP with the necessary information yet.
wrong again.

Top Bottom