• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sandbagging - The Uttermost Disrespect

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
Azen almost preaches his hate of sandbaggers

a sandbagger is someone who does not play their hardest when it counts...yes it is situational, but everyone knows when they are expected at actually play...

sandbaggers show no respect for who they are playing with. Nothing gets on me more than a player that beast me with metwo and then continues to saay what a horrible charcter mewtwo is...and that he "was not even trying"...not the best

i try my hardest against players even if they are terrible...its shows respect.

discuss.

Eci4

Smash Ace
... Right now it physically hurts me to play my fox as fast as I can... I'm not used to the hand positions for shffling aerials as fast as I do with fox, so my hand cramps up... if I don't have to move as fast, I won't because I don't want my hands to hurt...

I like to think I play the sameagainst everyone, but I know when people push me I do better... I mean, if you are getting pushed you know you have to try something new, or something a bit more risky... (not that I ever really get the chance to sandbag much or anything)

I would say sandbagging sucks, but a lot of the time the person doing it probably doesnt know it

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
i dont necessarily sandbag - but when im playing people who are way worse, i experiment and sorta play around a bit with them.

but yeah, not that many people are way worse than me anyways...

th0rn

Smash Lord
There's a difference between not trying your complete hardest, and being a **** by just f-smashing.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Yes, this is true. Sandbagging is really bad. especially if used on someone who's trying to learn. I, try as I might, see this as some sort of good thing

Yes, sandbagging is bad, but if you beat a person that was sanbagging, then you're much of a match as he is playing in full power. In other words, you've beaten like 50% or lower of their skils. Like, if I couldn't beat him even when my opponent held back, what godly chance I'll have with him full power?

Also, try to look at sandbagging as some sort of weird stepping stone of trying to defeat their skills. Sure, most people who played the person constantly (especially if that person played full power at first, but held back) would get pissed off. But others (such as n00bs and people improving) should look at this at a different light.

There's my two cents for the day.

Seanson

Smash Ace
Are we talking about tournament matches or friendlies or pactice?

I would say in tournament matches sandbagging is unacceptable. In friendlies it's not as bad, and in practice matches it's counter-productive.

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
sandbagging isn't good, but in some situations it may allow you to see the other player's skill and adjust to it.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think what Azen was getting at was that people that go to tournaments to possibly play the pros don't want any holding back, so they can feel what it's like to go 1v1 vs the people at the top of the game. Which is why Azen tries his hardest on basically everyone he meets.

Smash Master
I never sandbag; if I play a newb, I want them to know that they are not even near a level satisfactory to the skilled players in the smash community, so I **** them 'till they bleed. Maybe they will understand that they need to improve to be competitive if someone shows them what competitive is. If that sounded cocky, I'm sorry; I know that I am in the lower echelon of smashboards members in terms of skill, but that still puts me ahead of most of the community.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I just do enough to beat the person I'm playing, I don't see a need to destroy a lower level player... Unless you have a chance to get a JV5 stock, you gotta go for that. I have one JV5 in tournament play so far, not too bad.

Bass.

Smash Journeyman
I really don't get the point of sandbaggers. Unless they are trying to hustle for some money or something, they are only holding themselves back by not putting in their all. Too much pride sometimes..

That's why Azen is God. I know Forward, who is god himself, always gives his all and doesn't mind playing anyone. Great guys I tell you.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
Try as I might, I feel that I do sandbag sometimes when I play a complete n00b, just because I can't do my best; I do my best when I'm pushed, and I'm not pushed by some nub.

Hamsterpie

Smash Apprentice
For me, it's subconscious. If i'm playing someone who is very new, or isnt nearly as good, i'll not play as hard so that we acually have a good fight, not so that i can have a good ****. If i play against harder people, i play better.
I dont act like an ******* when i win, though, and i think thats why "sandbagging" is bad.

Hyper Tails1

Smash Apprentice
Haha, he complains about disrespect with a banner like that. :p

Ever play Yoshi? You cant complain about sandbagging when you play with that character...

...(****ed you Lozr!) Rawr!

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I could understand why this would be a problem. When I go to tournaments I don't want anyone to play down the fact that I may be on a lesser level. What good is it, I won't learn anything. I know from when I started competitive smash to where I am now, I didn't learn by people going easy on me and I still don't. Sometimes I could understand if it's a subconscious thing, if you're playing someone you personally know and just messing around. But in the end I always appreciate a person kicking my *** XD

Respawn

Smash Journeyman
In the shadows. Or NE Ohio. Whichever sounds bette
Well, IMO sandbagging sounds just like being an *******. Why do people feel the need to put others down? I think it would be better if the person actually took the time to point out faults in the other person's strategy, try to help them out so that they get better. That's what I try to do, anyway. I say things like, "You're not bad, but you should probably try doing this", and then I explain some advanced tech to them, or something like that. You should always try your hardest, don't toy with the other person.

It's still okay to congratulate yourself for a job well done, but you don't need to rub it in the other person's face. And you can still go crazy when you do something really awesome (like spike two people with Marth's sword dance technique, diagonal down. We had to pause for a second on that one).

One of my crewmates used to do this all the time, when I beat him he always said how he was "never trying his hardest". Then I retorted with a "Then why don't you try next time, and maybe you'll win". That shut him up :)

D

Deleted member

sandbaggers show no respect for who they are playing with. Nothing gets on me more than a player that beast me with metwo and then continues to saay what a horrible charcter mewtwo is...and that he "was not even trying"...not the best.
LOL this is directed like straight at me.

Guilty as charged.

:p

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
well i think something isnt being got right hree.

when playing worse players, i naturally change my playstyle, since its more beneficial that way.

im more likely to win against a player who does lots of laggy, opening attacks by rolling and fsmash whoring, than by trying to do complicated things like shffl combos and the like, which may not do as much damage and have a lower failiure rate.

against not so good players, keep it simple, and you wont die to a "dsmash peach"

in fuzzy's tourney i saw it alot where some marth players would grab no matter what kind of lag it was, even when it would be more beneficial just to fsmash given the oppourtunity, with more damage and knockback.

also, i am inclined to experiment more when playing worse players, as its more fun that way, and i wont try something insanely difficult, as it can be very tiring playing fox at full capacity.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I was playing a match as G&W against my bro's friend (Fox) and he was 4-stocking me. Then he jumped off and suicided 3 times. Then he beat me and left. He told me I should get better at Smash, and stop using a "gay" character. :mad:

I practiced. And practiced. I was determined to do some Game & Watch pwnage.

One month later, I played him again. I 4-stocked him. Three times. Well 2 and a half. On the third match he suddenly turned off the Gamecube and left. So I guess sandbagging made me the player I am today :laugh:

AS Money

Smash Lord
I just do enough to beat the person I'm playing, I don't see a need to destroy a lower level player... Unless you have a chance to get a JV5 stock, you gotta go for that. I have one JV5 in tournament play so far, not too bad.
a JV5 stock my life would be complete if i got one of those

zeex1

Smash Cadet
my jigglypuff has been 4 stocked, and im glad it was. it made me think of what i was doing wrong and how to fix it. i try as hard as i can in nearly every serious match, just because it makes me better. sandbagging may seem "cool", like you dont care because your so good, but its ********. you dont get any cooler or do anything productive by sandbagging in a smash match.

-zeex1

Battousai780

Smash Ace
I think I might sandbag, but I don't do it on purpose. I find that when i play people who aren't good I don't play good myself. On the other hand, if I play someone who is extremely hard, I can match my skill to their level. Its kinda weird... anyone else feel the same way?

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
At least it wasn't a little girl like Trail did <.< and I didnt get them to agree to FD to do it easier...

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I agree and disagree.

Whenever I play with my friends back home who arent that great, I dont go all out. I mean, its no fun to get 4 stocked 28 times in a row. So, I dont do it. Also, the same goes for when I try to introduce the game to people. I mean, I dont want to discourage them.

However, in the tournament scene, I think its a horrible thing to do. B/c you think 'wow, I beat him' or 'wow, I kept up with him' only to find out he was just pissing around. That hurts, ya know. LoL

technomancer

Smash Champion
From the pro's perspective, lets take Isai. EVERYONE wants a match with Isai. Do you require that he deliver 100 4-stockings to every noob that comes up wanting to test his leet Mew2? Do you have any idea how not fun it is to be gay to the noobs like it was a tournament match?

I agree that doing ******** things like giving them free combos and throwing matches for entertainment is lame, but is repeating camp -> shinespike four times really teaching the noobs anything? Everyone knows that A) Isai can probably pwn them without trying, and B) Shinespiking is gay, but when you do get that epic match you want to learn that you need to learn stuff, rather than the two points above. Plus, it's more fun for the pros if the noobs do some entertaining stuff during the match.

D

Deleted member

LOL i knew Mow would see this...i was just pissed cuz you showed me how much i suck...
lol okay umm...

who ARE you?? I knew it was me cause I do that to everyone and you're from VA. There's like 400 fox players in VA.

Eci4

Smash Ace
I was playing this guy who was determined to beat me... I was at a Lan party playing smash... yeah, I play smash at lans... anyway... he played mefor like 2 hours, and he sucked... it was so boring, but I didnt want to be all you suck I dont even want to play you... so I picked bowser thinking it might be easy enough for him... I mean he wasn't a total noob... but no... I'm at the point where I'm about to 2 stock him so I just quit doing any aerials at all... I didn't use B either... then he won and I was like that was a good comeback,and just walked away

I don't mind sandbagging in situations like that...

I decided the only time I mind sandbagging is in tournaments (that are for money) and money matches

Seed of Sorrow

Smash Champion
I CAN'T STAND SANDBAGGING!!!! It is by far THE worst thing to ever happen to anybody in a game of smash. However it motivates me to improve. For example, I played a friendly with Sensai he sandbagged me. It was THE most annoying thing to ever happen to me, but now, I am that much better (no where close to him, but still XD )

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Someone else, I don't think I JV5'd you... I did JV5 this one fox though <.<;;

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Why do people expect people who are better than them to always try? It's tiring.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
IMO,
Sandbagging is wrong and disrespectful on one hand, and justifyed and right on the other.

Wrong:
1>When the person knows he's being sandbagged because you talk about how your sandbagging.
2>When the person ask not to be sandbagged/"dont go easy on me" and you still do.
3>When your sandbagging to make yourself look good.
4>If its a tourney, especially major tourney.
5>Money Matches...

Right:
1>When the person dosnt know, it boost confidence in your skills when you think wow, I got PC Chris down to one stock...makes you want to learn and try harder next time boostin skill.
2>If the person your playing is a know n00b and you alow him to get you down to one stock or even win...its boost his rep, because we have alot of smashers that hate on peoples skills...because they have no life and theres no computer around for them to go to there sad pathetic "online" lives.
3>If the person ask you "can you go easy on me?"
4>Friendlys...
5>If your hand hurts and you dont feel like tryin...

This is just what I think.

UltimateShinigami

Smash Journeyman
Currently in da StL, but home in Ft Lauderdale eve
I would say sandbagging sucks, but a lot of the time the person doing it probably doesnt know it
i agree with that, but to add to it, is it sandbagging if i don't pick my best character or a high tier character but pick a character i like and am ok with to sort of handicap myself? with say the last character on my alternate list but i try my hardest, is that respectful?

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
i agree with that, but to add to it, is it sandbagging if i don't pick my best character or a high tier character but pick a character i like and am ok with to sort of handicap myself? with say the last character on my alternate list but i try my hardest, is that respectful?
Depends on how the person you playin feels... if he think its an insult for you to pull out mewtwo on him....then dont, but if he respects like link or pikachu and you arent good with them and want to play them tyo give him a chance....but he dosnt relize this...then go for it ^_^'...hope that answered that...atleast on how I feel.

Eci4

Smash Ace
Depends on how the person you playin feels... if he think its an insult for you to pull out mewtwo on him....then dont, but if he respects like link or pikachu and you arent good with them and want to play them tyo give him a chance....but he dosnt relize this...then go for it ^_^'...hope that answered that...atleast on how I feel.
I don't agree with that... I mean, when i pull out my mewtwo its because I want to learn something... if I sit and play someone worse than me with my marth or peach, I'm really not learning anything... I can practice stuff I'm not so good at though... if I play my Mewtwo, or my Ness, i put myself in their shoes... now I'm the one learning, and they are the one putting up with me (that is of course if they are a decent player, just not quite up to my level or something)

Top Bottom