• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus's full frontal standing dash bomber whatsamawhosit. (Gornel)

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
Gornel is awesome but i would rather have all those so called AT be named Gornels. Cant wait to see thread "New Gornel discovered!".

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
Who the hell cares what it's called? I'd rather focus on trying to get it to happen again...you can call it the steve perry glide if it makes everyone happy

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes the match was a 5 stock so I couldn't :( because it was fairly long. The worst part is I haven't been able to get it anywhere close to on film since I only pulled it off once.
Don't play 3-stock in Brawl. It takes too long.

Next time it happens and less than 3 mins have passed, suicide to end the game.

It's not a wavedash just because you move forward really fast (especially in the air). And no, we will not call it a Gornel.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
@ taymond

The wave dash got it's name through precedence. The term Wave Dash came originally from Tekken. (According to my friend anyway)
Actually, the majority of names from Melee came from one game alone. Marvel Vs. Capcom2

In MvC2, there are techniques that almost mirror Melee techniques in application.

Wavedashing - Characters like Magneto/Storm can "Wavedash". It is done by using their quick ground dashes in succession to confuse your opponent and try to mix-up high or low hits to begin an air combo.

Triangle Jumping - The most used technique in advanced MvC2 play. Its basically jumping into the air and using a flying characters levitation ability to send themselfs on a downward angle towards their opponent (exactly like melee). The only difference is, you can do this in succession and can attack during the triangle jump.

Crouch-Cancelling - Simply dashing and crouching repeatedly. Its like melee; stops your movement with no lag. Except in Marvel its a 1frame crouch-cancel. It can mean the difference between life or death if you CC your dash into a block when in the face of a super.

Thats basically it. Go online and read a few guides if you feel i'm incorrect. I assure you, I've been playing both games for years. Marvel named their moves firsts, then cross-over players applied them to Super Smash Brothers Melee - feeling the names were applicable in the same context.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, the majority of names from Melee came from one game alone. Marvel Vs. Capcom2
Because the majority of the techniques in Melee were Melee-specific. Other games having similar techniques does not count.

In MvC2, there are techniques that almost mirror Melee techniques in application.
O RLY?

Wavedashing - Characters like Magneto/Storm can "Wavedash". It is done by using their quick ground dashes in succession to confuse your opponent and try to mix-up high or low hits to begin an air combo.
Or we could simply call it Dash Dancing.

Wavedashing was named after a certain technique in Tekken called, surprise, surprise, Wavedashing.

Triangle Jumping - The most used technique in advanced MvC2 play. Its basically jumping into the air and using a flying characters levitation ability to send themselfs on a downward angle towards their opponent (exactly like melee). The only difference is, you can do this in succession and can attack during the triangle jump.
The other difference being that while Triangle Jumping, you're invicible (I don't remember levitating giving you invincibility).

Crouch-Cancelling - Simply dashing and crouching repeatedly. Its like melee; stops your movement with no lag. Except in Marvel its a 1frame crouch-cancel. It can mean the difference between life or death if you CC your dash into a block when in the face of a super.
Um... no. That's not Crouch-Canceling. That's Dash-canceling. And who the hell would repeatedly dash and dashcancel in quick succession, anyway, when there's foxtrotting and foxtrotting interspersed with wavedashing (or simple wavedashing)?!

CC is something else entirely.

Seriously, have you even played Melee?

Thats basically it. Go online and read a few guides if you feel i'm incorrect. I assure you, I've been playing both games for years. Marvel named their moves firsts, then cross-over players applied them to Super Smash Brothers Melee - feeling the names were applicable in the same context.
All you got right was that we might've named Triangle Jumping after MvC2. In Melee, doing a Triangle Jump makes you form a triangle (your 1st jump, airdodge + the ground). Is that what happens in MvC2? Maybe the two names just coincide.

CC is something else entirely in Melee. We call it Dash-canceling. Wavedashing is a Tekken term. So yeah, 1 out of 3.

D

Deleted member

Seriously, have you even played Melee?
lmao you noob mcjunior. raynex would **** you. like, seriously. hard.

on a completely different side note,

this thread made my day. gornel.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
lmao. raynex would **** you. like, seriously. hard.

on a complete side note,

this thread made my day. gornel.
Said by the guy who a few years ago made some reaaaally outlandish claims about Peach and claimed I sucked.

No, really, maybe the guy is good at Melee/Brawl. But he doesn't really have a clue of what he's talking about if he thinks we named Wavedashing after MvC2 and that CC:ing is the same thing as DC:ing (then what the heck does he think CC:ing is called? Slide-canceling?).

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
So, back to the topic people. I move that we call all ATs that people name after themselves "gornels."

And uh, someone try to figure out if this is repeatable.

D

Deleted member

i claimed that you sucked a few years ago? lmao

i mean, i know i was mad noob, but i guess i wasn't that noob if i was clever enough to say that back then.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
i claimed that you sucked a few years ago? lmao

i mean, i know i was mad noob, but i guess i wasn't that noob if i was clever enough to say that back then.
The point was that you have a bad track record recognizing strength and telling people they suck without even knowing them.

I base my judgement of RayEX on what he said (which was quite uninformed). You base your claim of that he'd beat me on the fact that... you know him and have never seen me play?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
When I said "Back to the topic, people" I was talking to you two. Argue through PMs if you must, just don't spam up Gornel's thread.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It's only a fad if many people (i.e., more than one person) does it.

If anyone can specify things a bit more on how to do this, I might try it out come Friday.
Trust me it will spread.
Its like an STD.

Least in this topic.

From what he says it sounds like he was hit by the bomb and went flying to the other side.
i think it might be a case of physics abuse.
Much like how Ike goes flying past DDD and Kirby when they inhale.

Kenji_x

Smash Rookie
A friend of mine had something similar to this happen while using Samus. We were at Battlefield and I powershielded his SHed bair and immediately afterwards he "air dashed" half the length of the stage. I've also done this exact thing with Marth before. Maybe Sakurai just gave us another random thing to worry about.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
But superwavedash never made sense to me as a name. Gornel is much nicer.
That's because you're pronouncing it wrong. It's "supah wavedash!"

That would be cool if Samus had a Super Wavedash. She would be a lot better to use.
How? It'd be ridiculously hard to pull off mid-match, and wouldn't even be worth the trouble because it would have almost no uses. If so, extremely situational, obscure uses. Like, three people could consistantly execute a super wavedash in Melee, and only because it looked cool or to ledgeguard someone on the other side of a flat level. :ohwell:

^not meaning to sound like a jerk or anything, if I came across that way.

But, if this is confirmed to be a Samus-specific AT, then it only makes her all the more kickass.
...just not if it's called the gornel, sorry.

Gono

Smash Cadet

How? It'd be ridiculously hard to pull off mid-match, and wouldn't even be worth the trouble because it would have almost no uses. If so, extremely situational, obscure uses. Like, three people could consistantly execute a super wavedash in Melee, and only because it looked cool or to ledgeguard someone on the other side of a flat level. :ohwell:

^not meaning to sound like a jerk or anything, if I came across that way.

But, if this is confirmed to be a Samus-specific AT, then it only makes her all the more kickass.
...just not if it's called the gornel, sorry.
Of all the possible names, supah wavedash is the worst.:mad:

rabbitgod

Smash Rookie
Ah, I see. Well I suppose that explains the name, but I still think that should this gornel exist, we should call it gornel. I mean, Gornel is the one to discover it and I believe in him.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
LOL... Gornel... Sounds like something that a chicken throws up.

UltraDavidSRK

Smash Cadet
Hahaha gornel?? Hahahaha oh man, if only we lived in a small town, so we could laugh you right out of it. Not the obvious bombdashing, but gornel. Holy balls, guy.

Gono

Smash Cadet
So....has anyone actually discovered anything? Because I sure haven't. I tried having my friend hit the bombs to detonate them prematurley and no results. Now I'm beginning on the ground to lay them and run back and forth until i trip, before they explode and see what happens. Ill be back with results.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Edit - Since wave dashing is no longer in the game, if this move can be replicated reliably I would like to suggest that it be named the "Gornel".
No, just no, no ones renaming Super Wave dashing to Gornel.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
"Times you wish you could replay matches longer than 3 minutes."

I tried to do this for a solid half-hour yesterday, but to no avail. I'll play Samus more often now just to wait for something to happen, but until then, no results.

A friend of mine had something similar to this happen while using Samus. We were at Battlefield and I powershielded his SHed bair and immediately afterwards he "air dashed" half the length of the stage. I've also done this exact thing with Marth before. Maybe Sakurai just gave us another random thing to worry about.
If this is an attribute common to more than just Samus-bombs, something is bound to come up soon.

Gono

Smash Cadet
No, just no, no ones renaming Super Wave dashing to Gornel.
Wavedashing is no longer in the game, so how can we have a name that involves the word wavedash? And it can't be super if it isn't an improvement on an already existing move. Also, I don't believe it was ever even called a super wave dash, so how would it be renamed?

"Times you wish you could replay matches longer than 3 minutes."
:bee:WIN:bee:

Corigames

Smash Hero
Wavedashing is no longer in the game, so how can we have a name that involves the word wavedash? And it can't be super if it isn't an improvement on an already existing move. Also, I don't believe it was ever even called a super wave dash, so how would it be renamed?
So if apples don't exist next year, we should change the names of all the other fruit?

Or if, more to the point, the government decided that canned corn was not legal to sell. Then we would have to rename corn-on-the-cob, cracked corn, corn fields, popped corn, and any other type of corn you have to think of.

The point in naming something is to describe it. A wavedash is a form of moving around faster. A super wavedash exceeds this. The name still stands.

It's not like any of this matters anyway, I still haven't seen 1 video of this happening.

Gono

Smash Cadet
So if apples don't exist next year, we should change the names of all the other fruit?

Or if, more to the point, the government decided that canned corn was not legal to sell. Then we would have to rename corn-on-the-cob, cracked corn, corn fields, popped corn, and any other type of corn you have to think of.

The point in naming something is to describe it. A wavedash is a form of moving around faster. A super wavedash exceeds this. The name still stands.

It's not like any of this matters anyway, I still haven't seen 1 video of this happening.
Wow that is the worst analogy I have EVER read. Why would we change the name of peachs because apples don't exist? Let me fix it for you.
So if apples don't exist next year, we should change the names of applesauce and applejuice?
The answer is yes.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Wow that is the worst analogy I have EVER read. Why would we change the name of peachs because apples don't exist?
The problem with that is that APPLE SAUCE AND APPLE JUICE WOULDN'T EXIST SMART ***!!!! You can't rename something that isn't there anymore. If apples don't exist, neither does its sauce or juice.

That's why I said other fruit. We still look back at melee and call it wavedashing. We look at brawl and say it has no wavedashing. Why should I talk about melee and super wave dashing but then go to brawl and say something dumb, non-nonsensical, and unrelated as Gornel? That's what I don't get. And, still, none of this solves the problem that there is NO PROOF!

Gono

Smash Cadet
The problem with that is that APPLE SAUCE AND APPLE JUICE WOULDN'T EXIST SMART ***!!!! You can't rename something that isn't there anymore. If apples don't exist, neither does its sauce or juice.
You activated my trap card!

I agree 100%, you can't rename something that isn't there anymore. Wavedashes are no longer in the game, so we cannot rename them. The gornel is a move completely unrelated to wave dashing and so will not be "renamed". Good day sir.

R i p

Smash Cadet
Bombdash is a good name. Bomb is the official name of the actual attack. I'm not sure what a Gornel is suppose to be, so feel free to clue me in Gono.

As for the actual topic, I'm having a hard time believing you. If you made this whole thing up so people would start saying Gornel, props to you I guess.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
@rabbitgod, that is not the way we name things, so why should we make an exception here? The fact that that might be how you would choose to name techniques does not mean that that is, or should be, how this community names things.

@Gono, I've had no luck coming up with anything that resembles your description, either. I'm not really a fan of Samus, but I've given it a good amount of effort, to little avail. Also, I think it's unlikely that the involvement of an air trip might've contributed to this move. Furthermore, if that is the case, then I would give up entirely on trying to recreate it, as air tripping is far, far more difficult to recreate than anything else in this game. And even more, trying to cause a ground trip is not the right approach. There's no evidence yet to support any theory about how air tripping is caused.

@Gono and coreygames, let me fix your analogy. The only thing I can think of that truly fits is this: pomme is the french word for apple, and pomme de terre is the french phrase for potato. It means "apple of the earth." Now, if apples didn't exist tomorrow, what should the french call potatoes? While potatoes and apples share similar nomenclature, there is no physical dependence or relationship on each other. The Super Wavedash did not require that you Wavedash at any point. Though they share a name, they are physically unique. Unlike applesauce and apple juice, which would also no longer exist tomorrow, potatoes will keep right on existing, regardless of the existence of their namesake.

So, then, is pomme de terre still an okay name? The answer is yes. Though apples themselves no longer exist, the memory of apples has gone nowhere. People still know what a wavedash was. People still know what apples were, there just aren't any more. All of this, however, is irrelevant. The Super Wavedash was not performed in the air, it was performed on the ground. This... whatever this is... is uniquely different from both. It's not an apple OR a potato. It's a pear. So it doesn't make sense to call this a super wavedash unless it really IS a super wavedash, which it isn't.

It also doesn't make sense to give it an arbitrary name that does nothing to describe what the move is. And furthermore, it doesn't matter what it's called until it's proven to exist AND its proven unique enough from already existing maneuvers to merit a new name. Even if it can be recreated, I stand by the assumption that it's probably just lucky DI off a luckily-angled bombjump, though I don't know that for sure.

@R i p, how is a name involving "-dash" appropriate when this involves aerial movement?

Gono

Smash Cadet
Bombdash is a good name. Bomb is the official name of the actual attack. I'm not sure what a Gornel is suppose to be, so feel free to clue me in Gono.

As for the actual topic, I'm having a hard time believing you. If you made this whole thing up so people would start saying Gornel, props to you I guess.
Did you even read anything before posting?

@Taymond Hmmm I guess I will start experimenting with my friend reseting me with a light air attack after the bomb. This is getting complicated:ohwell:. The way he recalls it is a tad different than the way I did. These are his words
I think you dropped a bomb then were doing your grapple attack and i jumped up and tried to up air you, but you went flying across the stage in a standing animation
If his point of view is correct, he would have to have hit me into the bomb, because you cannot place a bomb then grapple and still set it off. If this is true than your probably right that we won't be able to figure out how this is happening for a pretty long time :urg:

Shadow946

Smash Rookie
his name is actually gornel!

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
@rabbitgod, that is not the way we name things, so why should we make an exception here? The fact that that might be how you would choose to name techniques does not mean that that is, or should be, how this community names things.

@Gono, I've had no luck coming up with anything that resembles your description, either. I'm not really a fan of Samus, but I've given it a good amount of effort, to little avail. Also, I think it's unlikely that the involvement of an air trip might've contributed to this move. Furthermore, if that is the case, then I would give up entirely on trying to recreate it, as air tripping is far, far more difficult to recreate than anything else in this game. And even more, trying to cause a ground trip is not the right approach. There's no evidence yet to support any theory about how air tripping is caused.

@Gono and coreygames, let me fix your analogy. The only thing I can think of that truly fits is this: pomme is the french word for apple, and pomme de terre is the french phrase for potato. It means "apple of the earth." Now, if apples didn't exist tomorrow, what should the french call potatoes? While potatoes and apples share similar nomenclature, there is no physical dependence or relationship on each other. The Super Wavedash did not require that you Wavedash at any point. Though they share a name, they are physically unique. Unlike applesauce and apple juice, which would also no longer exist tomorrow, potatoes will keep right on existing, regardless of the existence of their namesake.

So, then, is pomme de terre still an okay name? The answer is yes. Though apples themselves no longer exist, the memory of apples has gone nowhere. People still know what a wavedash was. People still know what apples were, there just aren't any more. All of this, however, is irrelevant. The Super Wavedash was not performed in the air, it was performed on the ground. This... whatever this is... is uniquely different from both. It's not an apple OR a potato. It's a pear. So it doesn't make sense to call this a super wavedash unless it really IS a super wavedash, which it isn't.

It also doesn't make sense to give it an arbitrary name that does nothing to describe what the move is. And furthermore, it doesn't matter what it's called until it's proven to exist AND its proven unique enough from already existing maneuvers to merit a new name. Even if it can be recreated, I stand by the assumption that it's probably just lucky DI off a luckily-angled bombjump, though I don't know that for sure.

@R i p, how is a name involving "-dash" appropriate when this involves aerial movement?
Quoted for intelligently saying what others couldnt.

Top Bottom