• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus's full frontal standing dash bomber whatsamawhosit. (Gornel)

Gono

Smash Cadet
I was playing a friend 1 on 1 with a friend on battlefield, no items enabled and he was wolf. Every time he got close to me he would do everything in his power to knock me upwards so I started spamming samus's down B bombs to mess with his timing. This is when it happened. I was about a wolf jump and a halfs height above the leftern most platform when I did a down B and DI'd to the right, both of us were surprised when I went flying across the stage to above the right side platform. It was about the same distance as Samus's super wave dash in melee, but it was in the air. So far after about 3 or so hours of tinkering I have not been able to replicate this move. It may have been just a glitch or some fluke one time occurrence, but I'm 100% sure this was not any type of standard physics I have seen thus far in the game. Has anyone else seen this or have any thoughts?

Edit - Since wave dashing is no longer in the game, if this move can be replicated reliably I would like to suggest that it be named the "Gornel".

Tyson651

Smash Lord
too bad u didnt save the replay. next time if it does happen, try using the save replay function. keep in mind it only saves 3 minutes though.

Gono

Smash Cadet
Yes the match was a 5 stock so I couldn't :( because it was fairly long. The worst part is I haven't been able to get it anywhere close to on film since I only pulled it off once.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I'm going to try replicating this later. Just asking, did one of your bombs by any chance explode just under you and to your left when this happened? The bombs will propel you quite a bit especially if you DI. Not sure if that's what caused it I just want to make sure that it really is something different.

Gono

Smash Cadet
It was about my third bomb I had layed as I was just zig zaging side to side, the one that set it off probably hit in that area, but as soon as the bomb exploded I came out of ball form way faster than usual and samus accelerated to a dashing speed almost instantly. The flight length was basically from the middle of the left platform to the middle of the right platform, but in the air at the speed of samus's melee super wave dash.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Don't name moves after yourself. Name them something that makes sense so people don't feel stupid when talking about the move.

Gono

Smash Cadet
We should probably find out if it can even be done again before we discuss names :dizzy:

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Well, on first glance, there seems to be good reason to think that a bomb jump is at least partly responsible for this phenomenon. Also a likely contributing factor is a general misunderstanding about how powerful DI can be in Brawl. I would recommend trying variations of bombjumping to see if you can get similar results, rather than trying to randomly recreate the phenomenon.

Regardless, Gornel, I'm genuinely intrigued as to what possible legitimate reason you could have for wanting to name this whatever-it-is "Gornel," Gornel. There is a relatively strict naming convention here, Gornel, and whimsical, flashy names that do nothing to describe what they refer to are highly frowned upon. Persistent examples like the "DLX Hit Cancel" or "Hyphen Smashing" are exceptions to the rule that, themselves, deserve "weeding out."

People see a term like "wavedashing," which was almost invariably tolerated in Melee, and extrapolate from there that tech names can be as unhelpful and "creative" as they like, but wavedashing was one of the few exceptions to the rule in Melee, and almost every other specific technique that wasn't a combo had a technical, descriptive name. That descriptive nomenclature is something we're trying to continue in Brawl, and the enormous amount of arrogant self-promoting players trying to attach their names to a technique has, at best, merely resulted in a few humorous instances of stubborn zealotry. For example, Brawl's single most hated feature, tripping (ink dropping); a narrow-minded, singular application of autofloating (Z-Walk); "techshifting," which had nothing to do with either teching or movement of any kind, and was merely auto-canceling an aerial; "sunwalking," a similarly poorly-named tech that did not involve walking OR the sun, which was nothing more than a sliding Ftilt; or Candy and Gonzo's ever-changing "new" and unnamed "technique" that was simply plain and obvious, varied applications of B-Reversals and Recoil Specials.

In short, Gornel, attempting to name new moves, particularly after yourself, is more destructive than anything, and even if the name is temporarily accepted by an apparent majority, (DLX Hit Cancel/ink drop), time will remove such superfluous names for more useful ones. I realize Gornel may not actually be your name, so you're spared the arrogance of trying to name it after yourself, but you still, I'm afraid, suffer for choosing such an arbitrary, unrelated, non-descriptive name.

In the future, don't be so headstrong. If you think you've found something new, simply present that information, and leave names out of it. The majority of "new" techniques are misinterpretations of already existing techniques or even simple game mechanics. Once the merit of a technique is proven, then we can discuss what to call it.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Everyone shouldn't be so quick to shoot the move down just because there's no proof (although the name suggestion was just silly) - try it out first. I posted my interest in the thread earlier because I could swear I had something very similar (or the same) happen to my Samus on Delfino. I'm pretty sure it was cause by a bomb jump...it was like...bomb jump + tap direction or something. I haven't been able to replicate it yet though so it probably won't end up being easy enough to be practical if no one else has done it yet either.

Gono

Smash Cadet
No. Just no.

I'm not going to listen with out a video. that's how the internet works :p
I'm not asking you to believe me, I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this and if so, to help me get it on video. Once we have a video the community will want to know how to make it work.

As for the name, gornel is a different language, zoolian I believe. Roughly translated it means fast or easy travel and to fly, I would say the closest you could get in english is "Free flight". I thought it was an appropriate name that wasn't boring and flat, but clearly I was wrong.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
I think he gets the point. But, just in case... gornel, gornel, gornel.

If this is true, and can be replicated to a degree of usefulness, this will most likely be called super wavedash, or aerial super wavedash.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Or how about gliding bomb jump, or flying bomb jump for a name.
Zoolian lol. Talking about a language thousands of years old. I am doubting gornel is even in that language, as its structure doesn't even match the form of the few Zoolian words in existance.
Of course we have to find this technique first.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Quit picking on Gornel for his name, people. Geez.

But seriously, why are people arguing over the name right now? Figure out if this is actually possible, THEN give it a name if it is.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
@ taymond

The wave dash got it's name through precedence. The term Wave Dash came originally from Tekken. (According to my friend anyway)

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol at the name. Definetly work on testing this guys. Brawl seems full of silly glitches like this. A few days ago I discovered an invincibility frame on Lucas and Ness's PK Thunder which I'm still waiting to get on the computer and I'm pretty sure not many people believe me that it exists when it does. In short, good job on the find and I hope we can confirm it and hopefully put it to some good use.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
I got a few questions;

First of all, were the bombs dropped in quick succesion, or were there pauses in between? Was it double-jumped? How far apart were the "zigzags" (In terms of the platform on Battlefield)? I know it's hard to remember exactly what happened, but anything specific would be useful.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
actually, most at's are eponyms.
for example, the wave dash was invented by James P. Wavedash.
I am quite certain you were not aware of that fact.
James P. Wavedash was an arrogant fool who stole the technique from it's original founder, Wavy McDashstein.

Anyway, why don't you guys start out just zigzaging around like Gornel did and see if it eventually happens?

rabbitgod

Smash Rookie
I am certain that Gornel is not a word in Zoolian or whatever and is just your name, but I have absolutely no problems calling it that if it turns out to work.
Also, I thought wavedashing was called that because the movement is somewhat like a wave, going up and coming down. But superwavedash never made sense to me as a name. Gornel is much nicer.
Good luck to you Gornel and get some clips of you gornelling across the stage!

Gono

Smash Cadet
I got a few questions;

First of all, were the bombs dropped in quick succesion, or were there pauses in between? Was it double-jumped? How far apart were the "zigzags" (In terms of the platform on Battlefield)? I know it's hard to remember exactly what happened, but anything specific would be useful.
The bombs were dropped as fast as I could to slow my decent, I don't believe I had used any jumps because I was hit up into the air by wolf, and the zig zags were as far apart as possible, while still being able to get the bomb jump instead of completely missing it.

I just thought of something. Maybe I air tripped right before the bomb went off, starting a tripping animation but but using the bombs powerfull blast+DI to send me the extra distance at the same time. When the bomb exploded i was instantly in my falling animation instead of staying in ball form as I went sideways so this could have caused it. This is a long shot and I don't exactly know the mechanics of it, but I believe air tripping has been proven to exist, and if this is how it was done i doubt we will have much luck making the gornel work : /

-Gono

Top Bottom