• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
I heard someone talking of a potential Samus board tournament using only Samus. Do y'all need someone that loses easily (Me?)?

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
For those of you without quality recording devices (Like me), you can use the new youtube replay feature as a jury-rigged capture card! Basically once you upload the video to your youtube account, you can re-download it on your computer and edit it as needed!

here's something I made today while testing the waters, the quality you get with the uploading process is suprisingly good

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
That's brilliant.

Though capture cards are still better for loooooong matches.

Might use it for FG.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Hilarious @ Squaddle Squaddle , keep it coming, They locked the video thread, I'm not entirely sure why, but the video is definitely still alive and I'm going to be working on assembling it this weekend.
Definitely not done this weekend, so everyone feel free to add in the most absurd examples you can find.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Thanks MegaRiff (and others), send them to me anytime NNID: dalaeck.

I lost a LOT of replays, pretty much everything from 1.08 -> 1.10. I had to step away from smash for a few days since this update was the peak of frustration for me, and games should be "fun".
I thought I had turned off automatic updates, but apparently, not.
I had finally landed up-tilt-> up-air -> d-air -> CS among a few other really nice combos and good moves for a future highlight video. All gone... Yeah, not happy.
Back to square one. Keeping up the good fight.

_gold_

Smash Master
For those of you without quality recording devices (Like me), you can use the new youtube replay feature as a jury-rigged capture card! Basically once you upload the video to your youtube account, you can re-download it on your computer and edit it as needed!

here's something I made today while testing the waters, the quality you get with the uploading process is suprisingly good
That's pitiful. Dear god, please help that poor bounty hunter out.

Last edited:

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
Well it seems somebody beat us to the punch with the Samus video

http://youtu.be/2IiMvw3dltU
Sorry about that... I only idly browse these forums, and wasn't aware we were working on a collaborative video :(

On the plus side, it seems to kind of have worked, as people are really talking about Samus's faults nowadays and recognize she definitely needs some work (Maybe a little TOO much, if the reddit tier list is anything to go by...)

I've added in a few scenes you guys were talking about in that other thread and fixed the staling complaint with the missiles. That said, let me know if there's anything I can do to help with your project! When that collab video comes around, I'll also definitely put a link to it in both the videos I uploaded.

Last edited:

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
there's like 2 scenes in that video with any merit, please take it down it's embarrassing.

Boney

Smash Apprentice
@ Squaddle Squaddle oh don't be sorry, it's great that you went and did it right away. It's created a little buzz I've seen it posted and got it sent to me on other channels.

And @ Tonetta Tonetta , it's fine you don't agree with the video, but you should mention what exactly is the problem and be more constructive about it. The video isn't about actual buggy stuff, but limitations around her design that puts her at a disadvantage. Falcon's dash attack is better because he's a rushdown character focused on Melee, but a 10 frame start up (?) on dash attack still makes it so there's tons of whiffs with it, more so than with any other character. Stuff like missiles and down smash are frustrations at how the moves got changed, it's a little understandable as to why they are changed but still gives less ko tools. Nair is too slow and weak for what it is and even whiffs the animation. Her grab game at high % severely hinders her.

Still the video doesn't discredit Samus players, but shows setbacks we have to deal with.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Sorry about that... I only idly browse these forums, and wasn't aware we were working on a collaborative video :(

On the plus side, it seems to kind of have worked, as people are really talking about Samus's faults nowadays and recognize she definitely needs some work (Maybe a little TOO much, if the reddit tier list is anything to go by...)

I've added in a few scenes you guys were talking about in that other thread and fixed the staling complaint with the missiles. That said, let me know if there's anything I can do to help with your project! When that collab video comes around, I'll also definitely put a link to it in both the videos I uploaded.

Oh my god that last part is killing me.

What software do you edit with?

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman

If you didn't know, the commentators at Smash Con mentioned your video and told people to look it up. Good job. It's definitely bringing attention to the problems with the character.

Edit: The new version is even better. Just saw it for the first time.

Last edited:

3swag5u

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pedromoreno444
3DS FC
0104-2098-4887
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you were willing to battle and teach me more about Samus. I've sent a request to some of you already. Any help is gladly appreciated. :)

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Did you all see Esam's comments on Samus? He said he doesn't think she's "low tier at all" and probably "~25th or so". His reason was that her inability to land is her only major flaw. Now if we can get the other less major flaws buffed and fixed... Keep in mind that 25th puts her very close to having been in the second part of Esam's tier list (high tier).

Also somebody suggested he watch Afro Samurai's Samus lol

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
When you say Afro Samurai do you mean me?

Edit: Ah ok lol

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
Did you all see Esam's comments on Samus? He said he doesn't think she's "low tier at all" and probably "~25th or so". His reason was that her inability to land is her only major flaw. Now if we can get the other less major flaws buffed and fixed... Keep in mind that 25th puts her very close to having been in the second part of Esam's tier list (high tier).

Also somebody suggested he watch Afro Samurai's Samus lol
Esam is awesome. Hats off to the man for not giving up on Samus when others have.
Plus, he came this close to beating ZeRo, so keep a weather eye open for this upcoming star.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, yep, that video looks pretty accurate to me. I don't understand why these design flaws still exist. You'd think they'll realize the mistake and fix it.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I never announced it here, so...

I had a Smash tournament today on college campus. It followed the format of the E3 Invitational last year, which had item enabled FFA's and 1v1's for the finalists. Of course, I brought in Samus.

Let's get this out of the way first: I won. With that said, the tournament:

If you recall the hype said tournament had, then it was rather similar here, except that with a bigger variety of stages, there was a wider range of stuff going on(for instance, I managed to kill two unlucky schmucks with Metal Face's death explosion once), and thus the stage selection wasn't limited, never mind that the random button was used a lot.

I made it through the FFA section with no problem, so the real challenge came from my final two adversaries: Ike and Greninja(of all things). Both sets had me on the edge of my seat for sure, since I barely won both of them. At this point I had loads of people cheering on both my Bowser and Samus given I was the only one using both, so it served as some motivation. The other players I missed out on were a Robin, Sheik(somehow), Mario and Dark Pit. Probably didn't miss out on much, honestly(except maybe the Robin).

In the end, of course, I won, taking 30% of the pot, which amounted to 870 pesos(51 dollars).

Now, apart from having some sizable earnings(for how small the tourney was anyway) I'm being recognized as one of the best Samus players on campus up this point and a competent Smash player period.

And I'm still only 4 weeks in at this point. :estatic:

I know, some might think "oh blah, item enabled ffa tourney, that's boring", but Samus rep is Samus rep, and I was the only one providing it this time, so while 1v1 experience was limited this time, it was still there and I won with it.

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
I feel like I'm forgetting how to use Samus the more I play this game. It's like I'm just slowly forgetting how to use her and I'm losing the fun I used to have using her. Perhaps I should come back to her at a later period? Give some other characters a shot for a while maybe?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It's kind of funny how for all the technology they have in the Metroid universe, they never bothered to find a way to make an arm cannon that could transform into a regular arm or hell, something like Iron Man's pulse shooter thing - I don't know what's actually called. They could have done something like this. Use it as an excuse to give Samus mega punches or something... It'd be one hell of a pile bunker. Maybe Metroid really needs a reboot... well, a rebooted arm cannon. At least with this, she could be the first character to have a Zair, but a regular grab.

Meanwhile, 1984 Metal Gear universe. Ya gotta chop off an arm, but you'll end up with a cool bionic arm.

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
This is misc gameplay so I'll put it in this thread
I was on Anther's today and was playing a Link on Smashville. I grabbed him on the platform when the platform was at the far right. dthrow-->fair-->nair killed him at 0%. Idk if this was already known but I could see it being useful since Smashville is like the only stage ever used. I'm pretty sure it's a true combo?

Also I've made a lot of posts about nair lately but I'm in love with it. It kills ridiculously early offstage, and combined with Samus's other good offstage moves like all of her aerials and CS, it's a strong mixup.

Samus in general is underrated in terms of edge guarding right now. One of the most talked about edge guarding moves in the game is Ganon's uair, and in terms of knockback angle and (almost) kbg, Samus's nair is very similar but on a character who can go much deeper. Bair, dair, fair, utilt at the ledge (even if it doesn't spike, it's strong against horizontal/messed up recoveries), bombs, ledge trump shenanigans, and CS are all excellent. I know you all know this stuff but I see a lot of Samus's who don't do any form of edge guarding. Not even bombs or anything. There was a Samus on TBH5's stream today who played a Luigi and absolutely refused to gimp him or even go off stage. He basically ended up losing because he missed some of the easiest spike opportunities I have ever seen (also because he had air dodge seizures every time he got grabbed lol).

Last edited:

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
This is misc gameplay so I'll put it in this thread
I was on Anther's today and was playing a Link on Smashville. I grabbed him on the platform when the platform was at the far right. dthrow-->fair-->nair killed him at 0%. Idk if this was already known but I could see it being useful since Smashville is like the only stage ever used. I'm pretty sure it's a true combo?

Also I've made a lot of posts about nair lately but I'm in love with it. It kills ridiculously early offstage, and combined with Samus's other good offstage moves like all of her aerials and CS, it's a strong mixup.

Samus in general is underrated in terms of edge guarding right now. One of the most talked about edge guarding moves in the game is Ganon's uair, and in terms of knockback angle and (almost) kbg, Samus's nair is very similar but on a character who can go much deeper. Bair, dair, fair, utilt at the ledge (even if it doesn't spike, it's strong against horizontal/messed up recoveries), bombs, ledge trump shenanigans, and CS are all excellent. I know you all know this stuff but I see a lot of Samus's who don't do any form of edge guarding. Not even bombs or anything. There was a Samus on TBH5's stream today who played a Luigi and absolutely refused to gimp him or even go off stage. He basically ended up losing because he missed some of the easiest spike opportunities I have ever seen (also because he had air dodge seizures every time he got grabbed lol).
That guy was afraid of Luigi offstage. Those are like the easiest spikes in the game to do.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Zylach Zylach yeah it's fairly well known I would say. At one point I wanted to do a "know your hurtbox" video, to show where all the disjoints and extended hurtboxes are.
You can see most of these in training mode with a bumper, and inching yourself closer to the bumper until it reflects you.
Some, like the tether recovery are really not obvious. The grab extended hurtbox highlighted in the community video is likewise, not obvious. You can go into training mode, and see that the grab animation passes through the bumper BUT if you actually "grab" a target the hurtbox suddenly jumps forward. It's specifically penalizing the Samus player for actually landing a grab, it's beyond stupid.
"You missed? Oh here's 50 frames of lag"
"You landing this move? Let's make sure your opponent gets every last ditch opportunity to knock you out of it"
Samus' major problem are hurtboxes and hitboxes. That's why they're the very first thing I put into the video.

homeyduh

Smash Rookie
I didn't see an introduction thread, so I'll introduce myself here. I'm no one big at all. Just a Samus aficionado like you all. She's actually my second after my Sonic, but I want to start putting in time and work for her because in my heart, Samus is my main ever since Melee. I'm hoping for a patch that'll help her out, but until then, I want to join the community of Samus's. I usually see Samus as D Tier and I don't think so. She has some good techs and abilities that I think should put her AT LEAST C+. Just my 2¢

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to introduce myself as well because this appeared like a community, with everyone knowing each other. But I came in from nowhere, lol. I usually think it's the right thing to do with smaller communities.

Top Bottom