• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Hello all! Thought this would be the best place to introduce myself.
First and foremost, huge thanks to everyone who has contributed to the Samus boards! I began my competitive journey in the Northwest region about a year ago, and walked away from Samus shortly after. But recently, due in large part to these boards, I picked her back up!
It's been great transitioning from always being the best player in my circle of friends since the N64 days to now having to push myself further and further to reach my goals (right now the goal is to go 3-2 in a tournament, one more win than my current best).
Anyways, one of my biggest questions was about getting consistent tether recoveries, and that was already answered.
But I've also been curious about something I find myself doing often, and don't see a lot of in high level Samus play. Frequently I find myself letting go of the charge shot mid-charge to stop an approach and tack on some damage. It seems pretty effective, but I don't know if it will get me into trouble at all. Should I always be going for full charge, or is this tactic something that actually does work?
Its all about those mind games.I agree with Hark17ball Hark17ball 100%, The Charge Shot is most deadly tool, avoidable but still deadly. When you hold it in even an aggressive player is gonna take a step back and play more defensive. the longer you hold it in the less likely the'll be ready for it. Also some combos benefit from techchasing with CS after, as well as the opportunities to shield break usually require a CS finisher for that shield pop. its good to mix up charge levels too, I like 80-90% charge because you dont flash and your opponent will forget how full your CS is.
For my playstyle I try to bait people with charging and punish with a jump out of charge to Dair>UpB. Also a full CS beats out a lot of campy projectiles. Link throwing out boomerangs and arrows? Full CS will eat them all and he'll get punished heavily for even pulling those items out. For me though I rarely charge in one place for too long, constantly jumping out of the charge keeps me mobile while still gradually gaining charge.

kCuzzzz

Smash Rookie
Awesome stuff, thank you both for the input. I've definitely seen what a full CS can do for the mind games. Will have to start implementing them a little more and keep my finger off the trigger so to speak.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I am 90% sure that the falling uair to jab to fsmash is not nearly as small a window as people think. Crouch canceling the jab to fsmash will slow you down. As soon as jab 1's FAF is over (which is fast), you can immediately use fsmash. The same is true for crouch--as soon as jab 1 is over, you can crouch. In other words, you can fsmash just as fast as you can crouch out of jab 1, so don't crouch. Crouch canceling just allows you to use another jab 1 faster, bypassing the chance of getting jab 2, but it doesn't help in this case.

The percent range for this, I'm pretty sure, is very wide even though the training mode combo thing doesn't register it. Link gets a bunch of confirms off of jab 1 to jab 2 to (basically anything) because of the way it pops opponents up, even though the combo counter doesn't register. Samus' uair to jab 1 seems to be essentially the same thing. We all knew this about uair, since uair to dtilt/up b/etc is obviously a true combo even though the combo counter doesn't register. But I think jab 1 just extends the combo... The opponent will get hit by jab 1 after uair, and any followup from jab 1 will hit for the same reason. Our jab 1 in this case is like Link's jab 2 in his combos. It's possible to get this to register as a true combo at a very precise percentage, but that isn't the only percentage it works at. I only say this because I have been consistently landing this the last few days at percentages where it supposedly shouldn't work.

If paragraph 2 was already known, sorry, but I know I hear that you have to crouch cancel all the time, and I am almost sure you don't. In other words, this combo requires no difficult tech--it's really easy to use, easy to land, reliable, and kills early. it's way underused... This is a super easy kill confirm, especially since landing a falling uair is pretty easy.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@Vrynx should go into the combo thread, but I go over this in detail in my upcoming video, in slow motion, with rapid fire jumps, airdodges, and 3 frame combo breakers.
The combo counter doesn't register it correctly a lot of the time, and you often don't need perfect timing crouch cancel either.
The net end result is it's a solid combo, and there are no good options except for fast-fallers. Fast fallers with perfect timing can potentially shield, particularly if you don't get the 4th hit of up-air in and lift them high enough that they fall on the landing lag window.
The percent range is not that wide though ~20% but as a jump in it depends a lot on the size of the opponent's hurtbox. In much the same way you can hit bowser with nair ->dtilt twice, one after the other, if you jump in very deep.

It's slow going but I'm getting there with the video, I really like my intro sequence...

Xys

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1435-5012-4542
Ive been using Samus quite a lot lately. Her dash really stinks. like it goes through people. Also tips on how to utilize her Air Z better would be really appreciated. I do like the Down grab to forward air though. Samus is quite fun.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Ive been using Samus quite a lot lately. Her dash really stinks. like it goes through people. Also tips on how to utilize her Air Z better would be really appreciated. I do like the Down grab to forward air though. Samus is quite fun.
Zair is used to poke and annoy. You can use Zair to approach, retreat and condition people. SH Zair can then be lead to follow with a Dash, tilt, smash, grab etc to allow you to control the flow of the match. I'll post some vids in a second.

Xys Xys sorry for the delay I went to a tournament last second and got delayed.

http://youtu.be/iPY2sdgUsnU Vs :4dk:

http://youtu.be/5hy1IRlIuyI Vs:4megaman:

http://youtu.be/-z52q8wHWr8 Vs :4palutena:

You'll just see I use Zair to pester them. I use it to approach and retreat. The vids are slightly older so I'd like to think I'm slightly better now haha.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Her dash is excellent, what may be lacking is how your spacing your dashes. Because once it hits, you can combo off of it, as well as kill with it at high percents. Try Dthrow into up air, double jump, then forward air. Thats fun too

Xys

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1435-5012-4542
Her dash is excellent, what may be lacking is how your spacing your dashes. Because once it hits, you can combo off of it, as well as kill with it at high percents. Try Dthrow into up air, double jump, then forward air. Thats fun too
The thing about her dash that i dislike is the hitbox. I sometimes use it to close to the enemy and i run right through them without hitting them. Also I will try that combo thank you.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Xys Xys the thing you'll learn about Samus the more you play her is that sweet space where dash will always connect. Never go for a dash up close, Jab 1 is way more effective as a get off me move than dash is as well as Ftilt and Dtilt. The more youll play the easier it will be to find your footing for your moves to connect.

Xys

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1435-5012-4542
I was looking up this match up and found this. This was a cool game too.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hmm... I forgot that did nerf something about Samus's Missile after Melee... Her sassy pose while shooting a Homing Missile.

samosa

Smash Cadet
Hello, i decided to main samus some time ago and i think found some new stuff that isnt documented on this forum yet.

I guess i will wait until the patch first to check first if things still work.

I hope i can contribute to us samus mains in the near the future :)

strike42

Smash Journeyman
Hello, i decided to main samus some time ago and i think found some new stuff that isnt documented on this forum yet.

Just post the info now, it'd still be interesting to see.

Boney

Smash Apprentice

Welcome to the community!

There's no reason to wait for the patch though, might as well share the info straight away before it gets lost with the patch news.

Finanzberater

Smash Rookie
hey nothing special to say about me i am just an average smash fan who want to main samus as much as he can. just want to say hi to all fellow samus fans here!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
And this is what happens to Samus after basic fixes... Note how she's not broken and didn't jump up tiers. Basic fixes so her moves actually freaking function!

Enjoy this and get mad because the developers clearly think dysfunctional moves are fine even if you use them for what they were intended for like Up Smash is an anti-air... Oh, wait, people fall out. Ftilt is a spacing move... Oh, wait, it has unreasonable weak sour-spots that no other spacing kick has. Side Smash is a kill move like everyone's... Oh, wait, it has only 2 active frames while Mario's similar Side Smash has 3. Uair is an aerial combo move... Oh, wait, people fall out for no reason and when Sheik's is weaker, but connects properly, it's totally fine for Samus's to not connect properly despite being weaker in knockback, but slightly higher in damage. Nobody's asking for Samus to be super powerful... well, most aren't, but would you rather have a dysfunctional character who's considered low tier or a functional character deemed low tier?

Also, random question: would anyone want Samus to be a multi-jumper? Why am I asking this? 'Cause in the 2D Metroid games and even in the Prime games - required Screw Attack to do so -, Samus could jump multiple times. Why she wasn't a multi-jumper in Smash 64 to begin with is kind of curious now that I think about it.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
And this is what happens to Samus after basic fixes... Note how she's not broken and didn't jump up tiers. Basic fixes so her moves actually freaking function!

Enjoy this and get mad because the developers clearly think dysfunctional moves are fine even if you use them for what they were intended for like Up Smash is an anti-air... Oh, wait, people fall out. Ftilt is a spacing move... Oh, wait, it has unreasonable weak sour-spots that no other spacing kick has. Side Smash is a kill move like everyone's... Oh, wait, it has only 2 active frames while Mario's similar Side Smash has 3. Uair is an aerial combo move... Oh, wait, people fall out for no reason and when Sheik's is weaker, but connects properly, it's totally fine for Samus's to not connect properly despite being weaker in knockback, but slightly higher in damage. Nobody's asking for Samus to be super powerful... well, most aren't, but would you rather have a dysfunctional character who's considered low tier or a functional character deemed low tier?

Also, random question: would anyone want Samus to be a multi-jumper? Why am I asking this? 'Cause in the 2D Metroid games and even in the Prime games - required Screw Attack to do so -, Samus could jump multiple times. Why she wasn't a multi-jumper in Smash 64 to begin with is kind of curious now that I think about it.
I feel like every Samus main already knows this, we've been mad for a while. I think DungeonMaster's video does a good job at showing these flaws as well.

Btw can you explain the video you posted a bit? Is that a hacked 3ds?

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
I feel like every Samus main already knows this, we've been mad for a while. I think DungeonMaster's video does a good job at showing these flaws as well.

The video was made by a modder who managed to hack Smash 4 on 3DS.

_gold_

Smash Master

That dash attack.. that's all I need in life.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Yeah, except now there's visual proof of people want: basic fixes to her moves. Most fans aren't asking for Samus to have Ganondorf power with Ryu's combo ability. The changes made by the modder wouldn't even be severe in any mode in Smash 4. Just basic fixes is all people ask for.

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Fun observation of the day: Samus's Uair is Terry Bogard's Rising Tackle.

Except ya'll don't do it from the ground, so ya'll are frauds unlike Terry and Wolf. :p

Last edited:

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
Although I like the dark Samus skin, I kinda wish these were Samus' 8 alt. skins
image.jpeg

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I've been going to more tournaments lately and have sort of realized that I need more experience with stages/stage picks. I'm going to one today so any advice is welcome.

Last tournament I always avoided Battlefield (suck at platforms) and Dreamland (suck at platforms and because of characters who killed off the top early). Lylat I avoided the entire tournament, but in finals I wanted to go there sort as a joke because nobody had gone there all day. But it ended pretty badly. I went to Duck Hunt some but never really took advantage of it the way I've heard Samus can.

Town and City seems really good for Samus, I got some really good early kill combos and such. Smashville seemed pretty good. But anyway, once I used those two stages, I always ended up going to FD because of familiarity--but I've always heard it's a suboptimal pick for Samus.

So basically, how do I deal with opponents pressuring me from below when I am on a platform? Will up b really work?
Is Lylat a good stage or should I avoid it? Is Dreamland a stage to avoid against characters who kill early off the top even though Samus can also kill early off the top? Should I go to Town and City every chance I get? And is FD ever a good choice (besides against characters like Ganon who get projectile camped)?

Thanks in advance, and the only stages my tournaments use are FD, BF, Smashville, T&C, Lylat, Duck Hunt, Dreamland, and I think that's it.

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Jonny Westside Jonny Westside , nice, and congrats on placing 9th! A Samus in Top 10 is great!

I didn't get to watch your matches unfortunately, but it looks like you lost to VoiD in Winners Round (2-1) and then to K9sbruce in Loser (2-1). Big names, for sure, and I take it they used Sheik? I hope to watch the matches later on if they make it to youtube.

Last edited:

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Jonny Westside Jonny Westside , nice, and congrats on placing 9th! A Samus in Top 10 is great!

I didn't get to watch your matches unfortunately, but it looks like you lost to VoiD in Winners Round (2-1) and then to K9sbruce in Loser (2-1). Big names, for sure, and I take it they used Sheik? I hope to watch the matches later on if they make it to youtube.
Yeah, I don't want to say the buffs helped. I think I leveled up as a player more and managed to take games based off that, sheer improvement. When I truly get familiar with the new tools like my fellow Samus brethren, I think the set counts will be 2-0 from now on :J

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Well, after playing Samus after the most recent patch...I think I've got myself a new character to go with Charizard.

Seriously, the buffs from this patch have really benefited Samus, I find. I used to dislike her before now because she had problems with close combat, but now that she's been buffed in that area, I'm finding myself using Samus a lot more than I used to.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Having trouble with reverse charge beam. Can anyone give any quick tips? I don't really think I should make a whole thread about it.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Having trouble with reverse charge beam. Can anyone give any quick tips? I don't really think I should make a whole thread about it.
Just Flick the stick the direction you want and fire. It's hard to describe exact timing I apologize.
Mario does B>Direction
Samus does Direction>B

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
From my guide:

"To b-reverse a charge shot, flick it to the back of where you are facing, allow the stick to return to center, then immediately push b. It's a sort of gallop rhythm. Reverse CS is an extremely powerful tool, and many people do not expect it (because they are unfamiliar with the matchup). It's very good as a ledge trump option. After the trump, jump, then reverse charge shot. This will punish a jump and put you back on the stage with the kickback."

http://smashboards.com/guides/outsmarting-mother-brain.343/

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Ahh, since I use a lot of Link and Mewtwo, I try the B reverse the normal way. Thanks for the help, guys.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Since there's no Q & A thread, I think I will ask these questions here:

1) Is it normal that Samus doesn't ledge snap if she's descending from Screw Attack if someone has grabbed the ledge? See my match here at 0:50. I died because of that.

2) Is it normal that projectiles can interrupt Samus' z-air and prevent her from tethering? See my match here at 1:56.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
E.Lopez E.Lopez

1/ You were definitely holding down - I can tell by the acceleration. If you hold down, no ledge snap!

2/ That was an extremely rare stage bonk for the z-air. The hadoken didn't clash with the z-air, the z-air got confused and tried to function as an attack, then hit the stage lip. You have to be unlucky, really unlucky.
There is also a timer between when you've been hit and when you can grab the ledge. It's ~ 1 second, you can't ledge grab or tether immediately after being hit. You might have buffered the z-air at the very end of that timing window.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
2) Is it normal that projectiles can interrupt Samus' z-air and prevent her from tethering? See my match here at 1:56.
You Z-Air'd too early, you did correct with inputting airdodge before z-air but you still have to wait a little bit longer before Z-air works out of thumble (airdodge doesn't minimize the time for a working tethering out of thumble). It had nothing to do with the Hadouken.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Thanks guys! Wow, I guess I didn't know about that small amount of time after being hit that Samus cannot tether. Good to know.

NamelessHunter

Smash Cadet
I found a cool use for super missile. If they role behind you and send a super missile after them it will hit them at the tail of their role animation. The timing is super forgiving and I haven't missed yet. For glory, but I think it may be guaranteed. Don't want to make a thread for it yet because I think I may be fooling myself. Any input?

Top Bottom