• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus vs Marth

Crimson Phoenix

Smash Rookie
Ok there's a Marth player I know, that I truely want to beat 1 on 1, just to knock him down a peg or two. You know him as Razgriz. I can usually beat him if its a three man melee, where I mostly shoot missles and Plasma balls at the other two guys. But 1 on 1 I cant deal with his speed. Any tricks you fellow Samus players might know to beat Marths in general?

Andromon58

Smash Apprentice
ftilt. lots. dsmash too.

wd into them for approaches. You can beat him in the air if you play it smart but if you don't you'll get *****.

cc works well too.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
now lets try saying something that makes sense
You'll have to excuse my friend here. He's new to smashboards and all this melee jargon is foreign to him. If you want to help him out, don't abbreviate.

EDIT:

For your reference:
ftilt means "forward power attack"
dsmash means "Tap down-A smash attack"
wd means "wavedash"
cc means "crouch cancel" which refers to running and then ducking to stop ur run without the lag time you get from just letting go of the stick

Crimson Phoenix

Smash Rookie
Can you read? Can you use the search? Do you even want to learn? If you come on the boards, learn the abbriviations.
thank you, that definantly told me how to counter a Marth. Thanks Mars

lol it looks like ur buddy found ur thread. well against marths, i try to get a lot of up air(aka uair) and forward air(aka fair) combos, and mixing it up with missle cancels work.
I've tried using Air combos, but marth I think is faster with air attacks than Samus, not to metion his longer range with air attacks. He usually gets me every time I try.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Uair -> fair combos do not work on Marth, so you're right on that Crimson. If you want to go for aerial combos, they're almost always going to be only a couple hits long and you'll want to end in a sex kick. Uair -> jump Sex Kick will most likely get you hit, but because you'll trade hits you won't get comboed.

Also, remember to light shield when you're on a platform above Marth. Doing so will protect Samus' feet much better against utilts and fsmashes.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yep. Also Shielddashing is very important in the match-up. The marth will try to outspace you every hit because marth is good at that.

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
crouch cancel his forward airs wd out of sheild dsmashes after he forward smashes. If hes ****** you too bad in the air and on the ground just be more defensive and wait for him to attack and get him when hes open. MISSLE CANCELS!!!!!

Mars-

Smash Champion
Sometimes I can hit the double sex kick, but that is at lower percents. Also remember that once marth loses his second jump, his recovery is pretty much as bad as falcos. Once he uses his second jump when recovering, try jumping out for a sex kick, but just make sure that you can get back as well.

TGM

Smash Lord
samus on marth is hard. PERIOD.

the one thing u gotta do is CC and UP-B out of shield.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
Hey Somebody! Wasup! Check ur PMs every once in a while! And check the Compendium! You're the nearest smash player to our little Charlottesville smash community. We should smash sometime. Maybe you can give my pal here some help in person. :)

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
i personally play my friends marth 24/7 and i try to stay back waaay back let him come to me i like to morph ball then grab thru sheild...idk i do tons of weird things i suprise myself.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I heard that Samus had an advantage over Marth.
Anyone who plays marth says that all characters are better then marth. I hear marth players complaining all the time about how the sex kick has too much priority. Hey marth players, all of your moves have too much priority, speed and power, okay?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
i personally play my friends marth 24/7 and i try to stay back waaay back let him come to me i like to morph ball then grab thru sheild...idk i do tons of weird things i suprise myself.

So does your friend just sit there for 4 seconds while you do this?

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who plays marth says that all characters are better then marth. I hear marth players complaining all the time about how the sex kick has too much priority. Hey marth players, all of your moves have too much priority, speed and power, okay?
I know exactly what you mean...

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
For what it's worth, my game against marth revolves around spaced forward tilts. Down-throw nair is a very staple and useful tactic in this match-up. Marth is super-easy to edgeguard by just jumping out and nairing, once you get used to it. For a more conservative edge-guard, full-jump right over the edge, drop a bomb, then waveland and up-tilt when marth up-b's into the bomb. If marth is all over your shield with fairs, up-b. If marth spams forward smash, just wavedash toward him and shield, then wavedash out of shield and downsmash him. Just some things that came to mind.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
marth can go super low if he saves his double jump, my brother dodges run off nair all the time by just going under it. also if marth DI's dthrow away you have to dash attack, dash attack is awesmoe for comboing marth

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Also, while they are coming up from below some marths like to doublejump and then UP B during the double jump so it is really hard to tell where they are going to be and when they are going to up B >_>.

Kick

Smash Apprentice
i play really defensively against marth. going in and out of the fray to rack up damage, then finish them off. I always try and stay out of fair and fsmash range, only coming in to attack. Ive had pretty good success with this strat against random marth players that like to come into my suite.

)-(ø(\)øR

Smash Rookie
I dunno if the marth you play do this but, when i am Bomb recovering he love to fair me(and the bombs) that work nice on samus ...Usually i bomb jump then after a jump i lay a bomb but just one to f*** his timing and go back to sweetspot the ledge with my grapple...or lay a bomb then DI back lay another and go in the first one just to F*** his timing

or shoots some missiles at him between two bomb jumps this is funny when it works... Sweetspot the ledge with grapple is primordial IMO (duh..) and upB out of shield is good as said b4 i use dthrow to nair a lot or sometimes dthrow to Fsmash works Hope i help ^^

J Flo

Smash Journeyman
I just read through this whole thread, and I took in a lot of good tips. But one thing I realized is that the majority of these tips are useful when samus is on the ground. Most of the trouble I have against marth is getting juggled. His aerials keep me off the ground and I'm always troubled when I don't know what to do when being juggled. Any tips for this other than not getting popped up by him in the first place?

TSK

Smash Apprentice
Best thing is to just not be in the air more than necessary... but if marth does start to juggle you then DI away to get out..... basically just work on your DI so that you can escape juggling after a hit or two. Marth's sword can beat samus up pretty badly in the air so I wouldn't try coming at him from above much but if you are below him you can jump up and nail him with some aerials.... like if he's above you and off to the side a little you could jump over and aim a nair at the lower portion of his body and nail him easily.

Watty

Smash Lord
dont come donw wiht attacks because marth can juss uptilt and cancel whatever it is u where trying to do. So when above marth like every1 is saying juss get down, stay off of platforms, on even ground the matchup is even to me its hwen samus gets above marth is when it gets bad

pressthebutton

Smash Apprentice
yeah its pretty hard to get out of those **** aerial combos. but i remember seeing in an old thread that when trying to recover from above marth, its best to bombjump towards the edge of the level and planning your recovery from there. otherwise, youre going to be eating utilts, fairs, and whatnot for a while. also, marths like to ftilt your missles. when they do this, mix up what u do after a missle cancel. if you follow up your missle cancel and they ftilt it, its a free dash attack at least. also, missle cancel to charge blast works well.

ESAM

Smash Ace
SEFL representing samus in the sunshine state
Wait for his forward smash to come out and wavedash to him with a forward smash. Also, learn to avoid platforms. Most platforms allow marth to juggle you like hell. Also, ones like Yoshi Story and Poke Stadium are great for his tippers. When in the air getting juggled, try bombing away. Make sure you aren't too close to him otherwise he will tipper you if he is decent with the spacingBut this is a true question, who has the advantage in this match up? I personally **** marth, I have never lost to one in a tournament. (If the Florida Marth's are good then its an accomplishment i guess) I always argue the point that samus has the advantage but i truly never knew.

Wreckless

Smash Journeyman
Shield-dashing is very useful against marth. Especially doing f-tilts, and sometimes d-tilts depending on your situation because it has a far range. Also when you sheild his smashes, you sheild dash and smash him. If you get fair by marth, do a upB if your close to him and or D.I. away and add a lil nair in their. Always stay far away from marth and attack him whenever he is open and do some missiling. Air-dodging down to him is also useful. It can lead to some good smashing :]

and power-sheild his fair is really useful as well and or f-smash because then you can wd in a charge smash.

If you can't get away from his F-smash then go into it as possible so you won't get tippered. There aren't any bad match up. There's always a way around. *words of wisdom

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
Most advanced players in my experience immediately shffl fair or nair at the beginning of a match when they get close enough. Usually I dash attack which clanks, then jab, which clanks, then I ground dodge his next attack (usually a grab) and dsmash. After you do that, you'll have the marth on the cautious offensive which is perfect. And then all the other tips, especially the ftilt, come in handy.

If that doesn't work, then try my secret trick. Sshhh.

All you do is spam missles and charge shots at the beginning of the match until one hits marth, then run and turn off the game.
Automatic win.

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
Most advanced players in my experience immediately shffl fair or nair at the beginning of a match when they get close enough. Usually I dash attack which clanks, then jab, which clanks, then I ground dodge his next attack (usually a grab) and dsmash. After you do that, you'll have the marth on the cautious offensive which is perfect. And then all the other tips, especially the ftilt, come in handy.

If that doesn't work, then try my secret trick. Sshhh.

All you do is spam missles and charge shots at the beginning of the match until one hits marth, pause the match, then run and turn off the game.
Automatic win.

Mars-

Smash Champion
the one thing u gotta do is CC and UP-B out of shield.
Actually that is two things, but you should only do one. Why would you up b out of shield on a marth? They can hit you after your up b no matter where you DI and then you end up getting 80 damage from a marth combo.

Top Bottom