• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus vs. Kirby Matchup

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Over on the Kirby boards, we're using this week to review all of our matchup ratings, because we recently restarted our matchup discussion. The focus is on correcting outdated matchups and finding agreements with other boards. The thread can be found here.

We've had a dispute regarding Samus...some of us say Kirby has an advantage (60-40) while others say Samus has the advantage. Input from Samus mains would be greatly appreciated.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Kirby is a pretty gay matchup in general, but I think he's probably one of Samus's better matchups. I wouldn't be surprised if Samus actually had the advantage.

Kirby has almost zero reliable approach options, and pretty much no reliable projectile spam. He does have a good defensive game with his SHed aerials, grabs, etc. Not helping Kirby is that Samus has a pretty solid defensive game too.

He's hard to Z-air because of his low crouch but Samus can pretty much spam at him all day and there isn't much he can do about it except try his best to approach with the shield.

I would imagine that it isn't unreasonably hard for Samus to edgeguard Kirby either since his Up-B sucks.

Coldfront

Smash Apprentice
I'd say it's either even or in Samus' favor a bit.

Samus has a lot more freedom against Kirby than she does with other match-ups. He has no reflectors or ways to absorb projectiles, he has no real projectiles of his own, his attack speed and recovery aren't broken like MK, and he KO's a bit faster than the other characters.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Kirby is the easiest thing to edge guard EVER! I land soooo many utilts it's not even funny! His repeated bairs are shut down by a quick nair or zair. Kirby doesn't have solid grab combos on Samus, she can just footstool Kirby. Oh an yeah, *agrees with the above posts except Mafia's*

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
I'll give you my experiece fighting both as kirby and samus in this match up since I play Kirby very well also anywho samus has the advantage in this match up about 60-40 id say. Samus is much more free to do whatever she wants to kirby one thing ive noticed is Kirby is super vunerable to being spiked and seeing as Samus has the most reliable spike in the game kirby gets ***** by it.The only thing kirby has in this match up is he can be incredibly hard to hit since he is so small but thats about it.If the kirby is a skilled dodger Samus can have a hard time.Most of the time in this match as kirby it is really close if im Samus I usually win pretty comfortably.Also i've noticed playing as kirby in this match up I feel immense pressure from being bombarded by projectiles/samus' great defensive game.

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
okay, i don't have much experience (only wi-fi, i get very little lag), but during the bombardment of explosions, i mostly crouch, shield, and advance with dodges until i can get close enough to attack. i hope this helps a little...

Top Bottom